Snowager alert!

It's Jordle... with Jordie! Can you guess today's word?
A searchable database of Neopets images
Create your own wishlists!
Every editorial question answered just a search away!

Neopets Posts Update to Site Breach
  • Posted on August 29, 2022, 1:19 pm NST

At around 1:00 PM NST today, Neopets began sending out an update on the data breach via email and social media. You can read it here, or see it reproduced in its entirety below:

August 29, 2022

Re: Notice of Data Breach

Neopets began updating individuals today through its communication channels regarding a data incident that may have affected players' information. Neopets previously communicated about this incident to players on July 21, 2022, and August 1, 2022. This notice provides details about the incident, our response, and available resources.

What Happened?

On July 20, 2022, Neopets was alerted to activity indicating unauthorized access by a third party to our IT systems. We took immediate steps to shut down further access to the affected systems and we have not seen any unauthorized activity since that time. We also launched an investigation assisted by a leading forensics firm and engaged with law enforcement. On August 10, 2022, Neopets determined that the event resulted in unauthorized access to, and in some cases, download of, player personal information.

What Information Was Involved?

After our investigation, we have determined that for past and present Neopets players, affected information may include the data provided when registering for or playing Neopets, including name, email address, username, date of birth, gender, IP address, Neopets PIN, hashed password, as well as data about a player's pet, game play, and other information provided to Neopets. For players that played prior to 2015, the information also could have included non-hashed, but inactive, passwords. This information appears to have been accessed and potentially downloaded between January 3-February 5, 2021, or July 16-19, 2022.

We do not store users' government issued identification numbers, bank account information, or payment card information.

What We Are Doing

Neopets is committed to safeguarding our players' personal information. As part of our ongoing commitment to the safety and privacy of the Neopets' player information in our care, we have reset players' passwords and are working on adding multi-factor authentication to better safeguard your account access. We have also enhanced the protection of our systems, including by further strengthening our network monitoring, authentication, and system protection.

What You Can Do

If you used your Neopets password on other websites, we recommend that you change your passwords for those accounts as well. In general, it is a good idea to use different passwords across different applications and choose strong passwords.

In addition to changing your passwords, we recommend you do the following:

· While we are not aware of any misuse of your information, it is always a good practice to remain vigilant against threats of identity theft or fraud, and to regularly review and monitor your account statements and credit history for any signs of unauthorized transactions or activity. If you ever suspect that you are the victim of identity theft or fraud, you can contact your local police. Additional information about how to protect your identity is below.

· Additionally, it is always a good idea to be alert for "phishing" emails by someone who acts like they know you or are a company that you may do business with and requests sensitive information over email, such as passwords, government identification numbers, or bank account information.

For U.S. residents, additional information about how to protect your identity is contained below.

For more information:

If you have questions regarding this notice, we invite you to reach out to us through our normal support channels or by calling 1-310-533-3400, or toll-free at 1-800-413-0526, with any questions or concerns you might have regarding this incident or the security of your account.

Sincerely,

Jim Czulewicz
President & CEO
Neopets

lydia, August 29, 2022 1:39 PM NST
"potentially downloaded between January 3-February 5, 2021, or July 16-19, 2022."

Holy moly they're clueless
zebshep, August 29, 2022 2:20 PM NST
Is neo down again?
_rodeo_, August 29, 2022 2:21 PM NST
It’s down for me too. Womp womp
mistressmary13, August 29, 2022 2:22 PM NST
thank goodness these comments already noticed, its v much down for me
yekith, August 29, 2022 2:23 PM NST
Yeah, it is. It tries to load for a while and then I get:

502 Bad Gateway
openresty
beyondelsewhere, August 29, 2022 2:28 PM NST
I am amused that this happened after I read the email about the breach.

Error 543
The origin web server is not available

jaydeed, August 29, 2022 2:28 PM NST
This is a frustrating day on Neopets. Sigh.
premium17, August 29, 2022 2:28 PM NST
Error 543
The origin web server is not available
cuddlesoftness, August 29, 2022 2:29 PM NST
Error 543
The origin web server is not available
my browswer green checkmark my security and speed green checkmark host server big red X

that is what i am getting when i try to load neopets
claytonskitten, August 29, 2022 2:30 PM NST
Neo is down yet again today... wonder if this data breach update has something to do with it.

Figures... I finally decided to quit using my Red Pteri as an active and work on a Power Rangers inspired Red Grarrl... and then boom. No more site.
premium17, August 29, 2022 2:30 PM NST
Who is
Jim Czulewicz ? Is he new or President long time ?
vellen_, August 29, 2022 2:31 PM NST
Error 543
The origin web server is not available
kyrette, August 29, 2022 2:33 PM NST
Noo, and when I was just about to create a strawberry Kyrii
jagaleigh, August 29, 2022 2:36 PM NST
I am completely OVER this ridiculous, stupid, badly-run-sh-show
@neopets.com. I’ve never pulled the YOU HAD ONE JOB card, but ya know?! THEY HAD ONE JOB!!!
cuddlesoftness, August 29, 2022 2:39 PM NST
i have been able to log back in
yekith, August 29, 2022 2:40 PM NST
It's back, but pretty slow.
cay, August 29, 2022 4:07 PM NST
@premium17 I think Jim has been around for a few years, I've heard his name in the past.
mavegibson, August 29, 2022 5:53 PM NST
It's working fine for me.

They're vague about the info that has been taken. And they've not actually acknowledged their incompetence, nor apologized in any way. Nor do I feel reassured about any of this.

*sigh*
dreww355, August 29, 2022 7:10 PM NST
I'm glad too hear MFA is coming, but I won't hold my breath for it any time soon.
purplebin, August 29, 2022 7:53 PM NST
Aaaand... it's down again
purplebin, August 29, 2022 7:54 PM NST
Oh, it's already back! I had even just checked the Down For Everyone site.
roshchodesh, August 29, 2022 8:08 PM NST
Oh pshaw, Jimbo.
apophis324, August 30, 2022 12:12 AM NST
So.. what about non-U.S. residents? What can they do? Can you not at least pretend to care about players outside of the United States?

(You referring to TNT of course)
ducky - JN Staff, August 30, 2022 2:42 AM NST
"On July 20, 2022, Neopets was alerted to activity indicating unauthorized access by a third party to our IT systems."

I find this funny because they have have users (yes, plural) unauthorized access for YEARS. And they've been let known about it.
recklesse, August 30, 2022 4:54 AM NST
They simply couldn't ignore it any more when somebody put the database up for sale in public.

This whole thing looks like something the legal department drafted to cover JumpStart's back, just in case.
themeepit32, August 30, 2022 4:56 AM NST
not even some free NC or something to make up for their lack of of competence

when this happened to Animal Jam, WildWorks quickly fixed the issue, told us the exact issue, and gave everyone a week of membership free due to it being downed for a good amount of time
roshchodesh, August 30, 2022 8:44 AM NST
I made a donation to thank Jellyneo for not only always investigating and keeping us informed, but actually ADVOCATING for us. I noticed
Jellyneo's goal to cover hosting cost

2022 Goal: $2,500
2022 Current: $2,191

thought I'd share the link
tycooncorb, August 30, 2022 8:48 AM NST
Somebody should set up a class action lawsuit. If this was a different site they would have already been sued by now. The mishandling of private information is disturbing and more so the clear negligence to do anything about it…so sad to see my childhood ruined by mismanagement.
tycooncorb, August 30, 2022 8:50 AM NST
I’ve had to stop playing completely and just come on JN to check for info. Every time I come on here I see the site is still in the same state it was when flash died and there’s even more scandals and questionable activity going on…how hard is it to pay employees to fix the site…very unfortunate. Clearly nobody cares about this company.
roshchodesh, August 30, 2022 9:07 AM NST
I hope I'm wrong, but are they fumbling and perpetuating all this chaos to push us to consider metaverse?
"August 26
Neopets, the much-beloved virtual pet game that ruled the early internet, is launching a new product called Neopets Metaverse. The new game is exactly what it sounds like — the classic Neopets experience but with the addition of cryptocurrency and NFTs."

Timing Coincidence? We think not.
dave - JN Staff, August 30, 2022 9:16 AM NST
@premium17: He's the evil guy who brought NFTs to Neopets and basically did it without TNT's input.

He's been the CEO of JumpStart ever since David Lord left (I forget exactly when he left, at some point after 2018)
cay, August 30, 2022 9:27 AM NST
@Dave love your description of him XD
I had a feeling nft was out of TNT's character.
dave - JN Staff, August 30, 2022 12:03 PM NST
@cay: I'm not kidding either--the Metaverse was Jim C's pet project, and he went over the heads of TNT *and* their official licensing partner.
mavegibson, August 30, 2022 12:53 PM NST
I really am amazed there isn't a lawsuit yet. There really should be. There's clear negligence here.
cay, August 30, 2022 7:59 PM NST
@dave poor TNT I feel for them having him as a CEO. I wish TNT can be their own company, Jim is awful. He isn't exactly great with apologizing either, what a horrible person.
@mavegibson wonder if Jim's the blame for that cause he is more interested in the nft rubbish the our beloved neo.
roshchodesh, August 30, 2022 9:24 PM NST
loooooong sigh
lm808, August 31, 2022 10:06 AM NST
They forgot to add this in the email: We apologize for the incovenience
nataliea, August 31, 2022 2:54 PM NST
@lm808 They also forgot to add in the mail: Stay tuned!
neonym, August 31, 2022 8:06 PM NST
Is StackPath still banning people for visiting the website?

I've been scared to visit because of that, even though I want to claim my August Monthly Freebies & make sure I have the Mad About Orange Avatar.

I wish they would've done this after the month ended. Or gave us some warning. Or just didn't do it at all.

How long on average does it take for people to regain account access? Have re-bannings after regaining account access for innocents been a thing?
roshchodesh, September 1, 2022 6:49 AM NST
Waàaaaait a minute. Hold up. Didn't the hacker want 9wK for the stolen data? W I may be Stoopid, but wouldn't that be a paltry amount to pay? (Please forgive my stoopidity)
roshchodesh, September 1, 2022 8:37 AM NST
92K
my bad
adventurer262, September 1, 2022 5:37 PM NST
its been weeks and Im still waiting on my ticket response for neopets....and I dont have a Twitter. do I call the phone hotline, I guess? real scared of losing my accounts and Im unable to reset anything due to their system.
mimili__23, September 2, 2022 11:31 AM NST
Hello, to all of you. Does anyone here know, if there are still blocking/banning people? I am a bit to scared, to try it out.
mimili__23, September 2, 2022 11:34 AM NST
*they are (I think - sorry my english is self taught)
anunsureneopian, September 2, 2022 12:17 PM NST
@mimili (English is also not my firsh language )
They stopped blocking people and its been like 4 days since last time I saw the captcha. But they are not answering some tickets, it seems.
mimili__23, September 2, 2022 1:35 PM NST
@anunsureneopian Thank you so much for answering! I am going to try it out now.