Snowager alert!

It's Jordle... with Jordie! Can you guess today's word?
Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!
Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!
All the hottest looks, try them on today!

Special Alert:
Don't forget! The Chef Bonju avatar is only available until August 31st! You only have a couple weeks left to get it. For the solution, click here. [Close Alerts]
Quail
Ruki Day Roundup
  • Posted by Quail
  • Posted on July 29, 2022, 2:20 pm NST

For Ruki Day, a new colour is available:

Transparent

And a flowery Orchid-themed outfit is available and active:

1jediboy, July 29, 2022 2:24 PM NST
Whoa! 😲

Is this actually accurate to an IRL bug?
kiriska, July 29, 2022 2:38 PM NST
I'm really glad they remembered bugs don't have skeletons and overall think this is nicely done.

Bugs have stretched out/kinda "distributed" organ systems and the organs in this definitely seem based in reality. Not entirely sure what the structures in the arms/legs are supposed to be since these areas are mostly exoskeleton with thin muscle tissue, but I do think that would've been hard to depict in this style.
fluffymcgerbilpants, July 29, 2022 2:38 PM NST
I find that Ruki a little unsettling because trypophobia, but it's still leagues better than that awful mustard Peophin from a few days back.

That outfit is absolutely gorgeous, though.
kyrette, July 29, 2022 2:45 PM NST
Those legs remind me of the changelings from My Little Pony.
The outfit is beautiful!
nefarity, July 29, 2022 3:09 PM NST
The colour is delightfully creepy! Whatever those are in the limbs, the right arm reminds me of Edvard Munch's The Scream.

Also, Orchid Mantis!
dokibori, July 29, 2022 3:50 PM NST
@1jediboy
Yes! The outfit is based on the real life orchid mantis (which also happens to be one of my favorite animals OMG).
bolimdechuva, July 29, 2022 4:25 PM NST
whooooa!! that outfit is so pretty it's making me want a ruki hehe
roshchodesh, July 29, 2022 5:55 PM NST
@dokibori THANK YOU for the info about an Orchid Mantis. Fabulous
dustin, July 29, 2022 5:56 PM NST
i'm with fluffy; the holes in the "bones" make me uncomfortable but they're not the worst that's for sure. outfit is great i thought it was a color at first.
alfalfajoe, July 29, 2022 7:57 PM NST
@dustin Oh man, that SHOULD have been a color. The Woodland Ruki should have been based on an orchid mantis! I didn't need another reason to be disappointed in the Woodland color.
clock_flower, July 29, 2022 8:25 PM NST
Man, this is possibly the best usage of Transparent I've ever seen, I love it! The outfit is super cute too, I especially like the flower shield.
cat, July 29, 2022 8:26 PM NST
That orchid mantis costume is gorgeous!
clock_flower, July 29, 2022 8:31 PM NST
The pseudo-bones might possibly have to do with the Ruki's size? I think I vaguely remember something about larger creatures needing skeletons to support them (which is possibly why giant insects no longer exist), so it could be that it evolved some cartilaginous structures to create a rudimentary "skeleton" to help it survive or something, due to being a giant bug. But that's just my conjecture
zoeyaugust1245, July 29, 2022 8:33 PM NST
Hymenopus, the genus for flower mantises, is an untaken name I believe. Just in case anybody wants to use that ^^
dokibori, July 30, 2022 12:32 AM NST
@alfalfajoe
That would have been so good fffff. And it would have matched the woodland Treecko! (Which is... ALSO based on another of my favorite animals, haha. This time I'm talking about the satanic leaf-tailed gecko, Uroplatus phantasticus! I seem to like a lot of plant-mimic animals LOL)
biediep, July 30, 2022 12:33 AM NST
One moment, they give us the gross mustard Peo and the next, a gorgeous Orchid Mantis and Trans Ruki... TNT is all over the place cx But this.. this I love! Tempted to get a Ruki just for that costume T_T
biediep, July 30, 2022 12:37 AM NST
"The Woodland Ruki should have been based on an orchid mantis! I didn't need another reason to be disappointed in the Woodland color."

@alfalfajoe Maybe they'll go with Walking Leaf instead for Woodland? That could still be really cool.
apophis324, July 30, 2022 1:01 AM NST
That orchid warrior outfit is way too busy in my opinion. I get the reference, but daaang... Compared to what the Kiko and Peophin got.. it seems rather unfair.

Colour is Transparent.. Transparent is a colour.. Not really an opinion on that
faellie_ridiculous, July 30, 2022 8:33 AM NST
Personally, I think it is not well done. Does a Ruki (mantis) have a big pink brain shaped like that? No! Sure, it should not have actual bones, but what is that supposed to be in their place? It's a poor cellular representation. And where is the mandible? What is a mantis without its mandible? It just has the same slit for a mouth. Even the Kiko and JubJub have bony skulls and teeth.

I don't have Rukis, but my sister does and has been waiting a long time for a transparent one and this just made her sad.
antimattersofa, July 30, 2022 9:34 AM NST
The outfit is gorgeous! It's a bit busy, but very well made.
alfalfajoe, July 30, 2022 5:19 PM NST
@biediep A leaf mimic would have been good, or even a walking stick bug. I'm sure there are all kinds of other plant mimic bugs out there. Unfortunately we already got a Woodland Ruki, and while it's not one of the worst Woodlands, they could have done so much more with it.
powerwingamber, July 30, 2022 6:38 PM NST
Oh, that transparent Ruki is so gross! I love it!

And I love that costume, too. So pretty! I'm glad Rukis are getting some love.
dokibori, July 31, 2022 5:08 AM NST
@faellie_ridiculous
I can definitely understand where you and your sister are coming from - if I were personally designing the Ruki, I would have given them all mandibles from the start. Unfortunately, TNT didn't, so they probably thought adding them now would look... weird? Cluttered? IDK.

And at least the orchid Ruki helmet has mandibles! I'm EXTREMELY excited to eventually get that outfit for my faerie Ruki so she can look more like a real mantis.