It's Jordle... with Jordie! Can you guess today's word?
All the hottest looks, try them on today!
Earn NP from playing games!
Help us model your pets!

Quail
Tuskaninny Day Roundup
  • Posted by Quail
  • Posted on July 12, 2022, 5:14 pm NST

To celebrate Tuskaninny Day, a new colour is now active!

8-Bit

This retro design was inspired by user ziporen!

An outfit inspired by Senator Palpus is active for Tuskaninnies:

zaitoutau, July 12, 2022 5:20 PM NST
I love the RPG vibes of the 8-bit tuskaninny!!!
winterland, July 12, 2022 5:25 PM NST
I really like the 8-bit Tusk, its mage outift its really adorable xd
Now I kinda want one
1jediboy, July 12, 2022 6:55 PM NST
Congratulations, Ziporen! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜
potential_ruler, July 12, 2022 8:03 PM NST
My favorite part of tusk day is the three additional np items released
inkpot, July 12, 2022 8:13 PM NST
OH!

omg, all of ziporen's designs are just... wowwie!
i kind of preferred how their tusk looks but this is nice on it's own too!
inkpot, July 12, 2022 8:32 PM NST
i hate to double post but the more i look at the original source the more i've been thinking...

they didn't re-design chanty's(sp?) maraquan koi, or jetsam..? they kept it practically line-for-line.
and while i could understand it if they redesigned it in their style because they didn't think the art was up to par or that it didn't hit that "neopets look" that would make sense but...
these 8-bits are clearly very well done... and i'm having a hard time figuring out why they needed to take ziporen's idea and slap it on "the ol' converted pose"... especially when other 8-bits don't follow converted poses themselves?
pangomon, July 12, 2022 8:50 PM NST
IT'S A MAGIC SEAL!
nobody, July 12, 2022 9:59 PM NST
8bit, a color I hate, and Tusk, a species I hate---

8bit Tusk best neopet.
apophis324, July 13, 2022 12:02 AM NST
@nobody: Why hate on 8-bit? Because TNT has no idea how to properly draw 8-bit Neopets? *cough*8-bit Uni*cough*

Personally, I don't quite understand why they went for a wizard get-up with the Tuskaninny. The other 8-bit pets are all.. well.. 8-bit versions of a pet, with some simple clothes. So why a full wizard get-up? I understand the RPG connection, but I don't understand why that would fit Neopets.

The outfit is just boring in my opinion. You don't even see the sash well on a green Tuskaninny.
yoshimax, July 13, 2022 12:27 AM NST
@apophis324 I think it's just because the art this was based on was of a wizard Tuskaninny.
apophis324, July 13, 2022 12:55 AM NST
@yoshimax: Yeah, so basically we got two outfits for a Tuskaninny today, with one not exactly being a colour outfit, just an outfit for a colour? Maybe this should be looked into more: 8-bit clothing options! Or turn the 8-Bit colour into Old School RPG
ravioliandcheddar, July 13, 2022 3:25 AM NST
This 8 bit neopets is a tragedy I'm sorry
fatfurball, July 13, 2022 4:59 AM NST
The 8-bit is literally so cute, yall are wild
echoeternal, July 13, 2022 6:07 AM NST
Wish they'd made Senator Palpus Tuskaninny Tail Cover 2 separate items: trousers and shoes. I like the tail bangles part, but am not stoked about the striped tail fin look...
jessalynn, July 13, 2022 7:56 AM NST
I'm normally not a fan of 8-Bit Neopets, but THIS I WANT! It's so cute!!!!
yuina, July 13, 2022 8:34 AM NST
I always liked 8-bit pets (even if I don't own one). This one is adorable! Loved it and I'm considering getting one (:

I hope TNT creates more 8-bit "friendly" wearables as well :3
xantanreborn, July 13, 2022 10:00 AM NST
I love this! Until now, my favorite 8-Bit had been the Grundo.
nobody, July 13, 2022 11:51 AM NST
I refuse to ever own one, but I'll admire this one from afar.
roshchodesh, July 13, 2022 12:58 PM NST
@pangomon
I *almost* missed that one. Very punny
ziporen, July 13, 2022 1:59 PM NST
@apophis324: The potion for the color is called "8-Bit Power-Up Potion", a clear nod to retro video games. Basic t-shirts and trousers felt like a missed opportunity, so I decided to make my designs look more like they came from games, where staves and swords and other fantasy elements are common. In the case of the Tuskaninny, if you prefer the simpler dress of other 8-Bits, you can remove the hat and wand for a similar look. Nothing wrong with the classic unclothed look, either~!

Neo does have two prominent RPG games on-site (Neoquest I & II) and uses many fantasy elements in general. Some pet colors have also evolved over time (Woodland, Toy, Burlap, etc.), so I figured that it wouldn't be too wild for 8-Bit to evolve as well.

---

As for staff's changes to the design (which I was not made aware of beforehand), I'm currently talking with them through Mac and hoping to work something out.
ziporen, July 13, 2022 2:09 PM NST
For anyone wondering what the original looked like, it can be seen on /~xUkuri along with the others that I've done.
roshchodesh, July 13, 2022 3:23 PM NST
@ziporen
magnificent!
dave - JN Staff, July 13, 2022 3:28 PM NST
@ziporen: Very nice work! I'm a fan of the pose you used, too--wishing TNT kept it closer instead of shifting the angle!
solsticesprite, July 13, 2022 5:11 PM NST
I have a naughty brain and the original doesn't look neopets friendly to me.
apophis324, July 14, 2022 1:13 AM NST
@ziporen: Oh no no, I didn't mean it as a criticism towards you, the artist behind this idea for the 8-bit Tuskaninny. It was critique towards TNT as they chose this design, which is good, while it doesn't fit the rest of their 8-bit pets. There's no common theme. Are we to expect more knights (like the ones you doodled up :3), mages, rogues and the like, or will the wizard Tuskaninny be the odd one out? Will we ever get a better 8-bit Uni? Important questions!

In any case, let it be clear that I am a fanatic of good pixel art (and I can't stress enough that the 8-bit Uni is NOT a good representation of a Uni, in my opinion), like that which you so kindly provided for TNT to use ^ -^
roshchodesh, July 14, 2022 4:57 AM NST
@solsticesprite
/~xUkuri art is astounding
take it out of the gutter and into an anatomy text. That would be the umbilicus area
coryldork, July 14, 2022 7:09 PM NST
whew this is one of the best 8-bit ones I've seen. it looks truly 8-bit!
cat, July 14, 2022 8:43 PM NST
I’m glad they’re finally doing an 8-bit that looks like it could have come from a video game.
chesu - JN Staff, July 15, 2022 9:52 AM NST
I'm glad that it's actually proper pixel art for once... but they absolutely butchered the original design.
megandhearts, July 15, 2022 10:20 AM NST
The original 8-bit design that ziporen made looks much better... Why does TNT have to muck EVERYTHING up???
giovannicharming, July 16, 2022 12:02 AM NST
It's a shame, the original design concept(as well as all of the other ones on the linked page) are gorgeous. TNT's version looks like it was drawn quickly in MSPaint and only barely cleaned up(the hat looks especially atrocious) <:/
apophis324, July 16, 2022 3:48 AM NST
*grumbles* One can very well make pretty decent-to-good pixel art in MS Paint >: | If anything, MS Paint is perfect for pixel art!
ziporen, July 16, 2022 2:48 PM NST
MS Paint is unironically great. It's my most-used spriting and sketching program, and I love the texture of the crayon brush.
apophis324, July 17, 2022 12:37 AM NST
^
That! THAT!!
Wait, crayon brush? You mean you make sprites in the last incarnation of Paint? Admirable. I don't particularly like that one, so I always work in the Windows XP version myself