Altador Cup XVII
It's Jordle... with Jordie! Can you guess today's word?
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!
Help us model your pets!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup

Altador Cup XVII: New Players & Page Redesigns
  • Posted on May 17, 2022, 3:03 pm NST

This year's Altador Cup sign ups are around the corner (May 25th 26th), and the downloadable freebies accompanying the pre-Tourney press have revealed some exciting news: two new players will be debuting in this year's Cup!

(If you'll remember, Whimsi Dia and Tulay Ada debuted last year.)

First up on Team Kreludor, Zenor Kevix has been confirmed to be replaced with a brand new player, Motor Dahy, an Orange Tyrannian Pteri.

Second, Team Kiko Lake will also be having a roster change with longtime player Ditan Colb retiring in favor of a Pastel Uni, named Lili Lever.

Lastly, the Altador Cup itself has received a mobile friendly update and lives under the new layout.

What do you think of these new players? Let us know what you think (or what other roster changes you might want to see next year!) in the comments!

niddyz, May 17, 2022 3:29 PM NST
Is Motor Orange, or is he Tyrannian? Tyrannian looks correct.
dave - JN Staff, May 17, 2022 3:37 PM NST
@niddyz: Hmm, you may be right!
_sissiy_sis_369, May 17, 2022 3:52 PM NST
They gave the uni some assets and idk how to feel about that. Usually only really faeries have those right?
1jediboy, May 17, 2022 4:12 PM NST
I don't trust Motor. He's got "Xandra" etched into his shoes. 😠
roshchodesh, May 17, 2022 4:14 PM NST
Is Motor's eyebrow pierced? Cooool
contessa, May 17, 2022 5:35 PM NST
Cannot wait to see what else will be new!

Cannot wait for the event to start!
pikachu315111, May 17, 2022 5:40 PM NST
* Motor Dahy: Are you sure their name isn't "Itsna Tafaez" or "Trye Ahrd"? Jokes aside I guess a little attitude never hurt (as long as their personality isn't toxic), heck should we be surprised Kreludor has a rebellious group considering they've been at the forefront of Sloth's plans?

* Pastel Uni: Interesting decision to make them a biped, and one that towers over their team. Littles a bit shy, infact Pastel Uni's colors matches that of the My Little Pony character Fluttershy so curious if that's the intention? Feels a bit odd for her to be on Team Kiko Lake though.

* Overall it feels like they wanted to diversify some of the teams which has multiple of the same species (thankfully they didn't get rid of one of Meridell's Ixis, maybe because each on look unique).

* I feel Meridell's line-up is pretty strong, with the power trio of Windelle, Fiorina and Isla and the quirkier side of things with Ethel and Yoris we're the underdogs that are hard to beat! GO MERIDELL!!!
thepapercutjellyfish, May 17, 2022 5:49 PM NST
my first thought was fluttershy too! lol especially with that expression
contessa, May 17, 2022 6:55 PM NST
OMG - he does have "Xandra" etched into his shoe! :o
alli_draggy, May 17, 2022 7:33 PM NST
Love that edgy Pteri; they are so cool. I really hope we get wearables themed after them; we could use more punk/goth type stuff.
minidriver, May 17, 2022 8:41 PM NST
The revised art for Kreludor definitely says "attitude", which is a good thing.

I'll be playing for my old stand-by team with Shenkuu, hoping to get out of the midpack this year.
inkpot, May 17, 2022 9:24 PM NST
i like the new players; they've got personality.
sakibou, May 17, 2022 11:44 PM NST
What shoes are you guys referring to?? I don't see any shoes on Motor. Or even feet for that matter.
pikachu315111, May 17, 2022 11:51 PM NST
Oh, I thought 1jediboy was just kidding! Didn't realize they posted a full image of him on the News.

Sloth etched on his right shoes, Xandra on his left, crossbone pin and anarchy pin on his sash, and the word "Pain" and a Twisted Roses on his sling (not to mention the spiked collars and eye piercing).

So got ourselves an edgy Pteri. I'm kind of surprised they actually used the anarchy "A", I don't think its controversial per se though still a pretty charged symbol. Though I do like the Twisted Roses logo, a nice little reference some may not get. Also just noticed clothes are a bit messed up, can imagine a funny convo with that:

* Fonnet: Dahy, can we talk?
* Motor Dahy: The names Motor!
* Fonnet: *Rolls eyes* Motor, I noticed you came to practice with ripped pants and shirt.
* Motor: Yeah, and your's is not. Guess someone is too busy trying to keep clean and isn't trying their hardest to win!
* Fonnet: Just wanted to remind you there's spare clothes in the stockroom.
* Motor: What's wrong with the ones I got on?
* Fonnet: They're... ripped.
* Motor: AND?
* Fonnet: They're unpresentable.
* Motor: PFFFFFT. "Unpresentable". Tell you what, how about we actually win the Altador Cup and THEN we can worry about me looking "presentable". LATERZ! *Leaves by kicking the doors open*
* Jurin: Why did we recruit him again? Surely Vignacio was available.
* Fonnet: I think a majority of us voted for him as a joke not thinking anyone else seriously would. Negg on our face; at least he's a decent player.
* Jurin: Yeah, at playing himself maybe...
apophis324, May 18, 2022 12:09 AM NST
So they added Fluttershy to team Kiko Lake? Weird.. I wonder if they're ever going back to pets that better match the team they're representing. What is a Tyrannian Pteri doing in Kreludor?

Also.. WHAT'S WITH THE PUNS?! I find it infuriating to read this year's press statements > -< They better be positive about Maraqua this year though. I blame their constant losses partly on how they are portrayed in the press..
1jediboy, May 18, 2022 1:03 AM NST

Wow… Motor’s a poser!

I just thought of something! He doesn’t care about Xandra or Sloth, he just put those names on his shoes for shock value!

He probably wants someone to complain about those names so he has an excuse to give them guff.
bodhi, May 18, 2022 1:04 AM NST
*crosses fingers and squeezes eyes shut* Please don't mess up Shenkuu...please don't mess up Shenkuu.
puffkins2000, May 18, 2022 4:56 AM NST
The pastel Uni reminds me totally of Fluttershy, too! Lol, which is why now she's one of my favourite non-Krawk Island players. I like her!

The Pteri is really cool!
sosoeuso, May 18, 2022 6:40 AM NST
Nooooo Zenor Kevix is goooooone!!! 😭😭😭😭 Although at least Motor is the single funniest character to ever be introduced to the Neopets canon to me. The edguest of bois
toxxymoxxy, May 18, 2022 7:37 AM NST
The fact that the pastel uni gives off very shy energy, I wonder if her name is a pun of 'lily-livered'

Also loving the new pteri!
stories2btold, May 18, 2022 7:51 AM NST
Has anyone noticed that personality-wise, the Uni and Pteri seem to be complete opposites lol.
clock_flower, May 18, 2022 10:13 AM NST
I love how much personality the new characters have! I also appreciate how this iteration of TNT seems to have made a commitment to giving horselike neopets hooves instead of hands; it really feels like they listened to the feedback about how odd that looked, and shows attention to detail
gigiamore, May 18, 2022 11:38 AM NST
They've made the Uni biped, but given her hooves for hands and a chest...
winter_pony4, May 18, 2022 11:41 AM NST
Not a fan of Lili, which is disappointing as a longtime KL player. She sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the team.
i_love_latin - JN Staff, May 18, 2022 11:46 AM NST
I'm still not over the fact that Motor Dahy's yooyu sling has "PAIN" carved into it
pikachu315111, May 18, 2022 3:06 PM NST
@ apophis324:
* TYRANNIAN. IN. SPAAACE: My guess they went with Tyrannian to make him look more edgy. "Why not use Mutant?" you may be wondering. Because a Mutant Pteri would need a completely new sprite in Yooyuball. Same reason Lili is also a rather simple color. They already have sprites for a Pteri and Uni, they just need to recolor them the new player colors.

* Stop The Presses: Ugh, I keep on hoping the Pre-Tournament Press Releases would be like how they used to be: telling us fun little anecdotes about what either the team or some individual players were doing between Altador Cups. BUT NOPE! Once again you can break down most of the non-winning team's press note as "We didn't win last year, we promise to do better, here's a little tidbit about our new training". Like we could have used Kreludor's and Kiko Lake's press note to tell us about the new player more, but they were too busy telling us information we already new: how they did last year & promising to do better.

@ stories2btold:
* Thorn & Rose: I imagine that's what they were exactly going for. Cheap and easy way to sorta give them a personality as, being the two new players, people who naturally be comparing the two (which one they like better, which Team got the better option, etc.). To be fair in a vacuum they don't lose all their identity, though kind of reveals how stereotypical they are.

@ i_love_latin:
Writing Pain: Could be worse I suppose, could have "DAMAGED" tattooed across his forehead.
pikachu315111, May 18, 2022 3:22 PM NST
@ 1jediboy: Yeah, I think he's pretty much just a punk character whose main goal is just trying to shock you, and doing it the most blatant way possible. Why I just had Fonnet roll her eyes and not react to his insults.

* Qlydae Wegg: Hey, um, Motor. Do you have a second.
* Motor: No, but since you started I guess I gotta listen now.
* Wegg: Yeah, um, right. So I was wondering, seeing your shoes, what's your thoughts on Sloth?
* Motor: What's yours?
* Wegg: Well, I'm a Grundo, obviously I'm opposed to him.
* Motor: Really? What about that Parlax guy? He's a Grundo yet pretty loyal to Sloth.
* Wegg: Parlax is a completely separate and complex topi...
* Motor: And yet he's still a Grundo so it's not so obvious, is it?
* Wegg: ... So you're stance?
* Motor: Does having his name on my show bother you?
* Wegg: Truth be told, a bit.
* Motor: What about Xandra? You think Team Faerieland would just be offended?
* Wegg: Well they're still rebuilding so I can see it rubbing some the wrong wa...
* Motor: GOOD.
* Wegg: Good?
* Motor: Ya hear me. Good. If a name on my shoe bothers you and others that much I say that's your problem. And since I don't have that problem, wouldn't you say that makes me better than those who do?
* Wegg: Now hold on a second, that's not fai...
* Motor: I already gave you more than a second. If you want anymore seconds go to the Kreludor Cafe. Or you can keep our team second rate by self-scoring.
* Wegg: IT WAS ONLY ONCE!
* Motor: Then do it again and make that your "second". *Pops wheels from his boot heels and rolls off*
problematicperiplum, May 18, 2022 3:43 PM NST
If Motor Dahy existed in real life with all of those engravings, he'd probably belong to a hate group. Very bold character.

Lili is pure and didn't do anything wrong to deserve hate.
tabbycat196, May 18, 2022 7:28 PM NST
really love that they are committed to updating the teams with new players. It now makes me look forward to the press tour and learning more about them! Plus any new neo characters is always a good thing!
surferboard_girl, May 18, 2022 7:30 PM NST
Absolutely here for Motor's character design, down to the graffiti on his own shoes/sling and the eyebrow ring. Love seeing a little bit of an attitude!

Why does Lili look like she's on the verge of crying?? Like I get being shy, but she looks like she's going to get bullied off the field...
zeelink, May 19, 2022 12:01 AM NST
Haha, I won't lie, I like Motor. The EDGE of it all.
Lily's boobs look a bit off though. Maybe I'm just not used to seeing them on a Uni NPC.
apophis324, May 19, 2022 12:39 AM NST
@pikachu315111: But they had a whole year to come up with an overhaul for the cup! They came up with a PC-friendly new design that works perfectly for mobile users! The least they could do was come up with some new sprites as well, right? While difficult it's not a multi-month undertaking to draw up a new sprite set...

Bleh, Maraqua's press tour piece this year isn't as negative as it normally is, but this won't do them any favours either. Are they actively trying to get people to hate Elon so much that we'll be happy to see him go? I for one still like his design..

Lili Lever being bipedal does raise some questions. She wears boots.. does that mean she has regular feet.. or are the toes of the boot empty?
As for her having a chest.. eh. Fanservice, I guess XD
bodhi, May 19, 2022 8:07 AM NST
@surferboard_girl And Motor looks like he'd be the one doing the bullying. lol
kaimactrash, May 19, 2022 8:19 AM NST
How funny would it be if they did enemies to lovers with the new players? they're such polar opposite stereotypes I feel like it'd be a little silly and over the top, and bring a little drama to the cup.
kirkeyressa, May 19, 2022 2:43 PM NST
so sad that kiko lake gets two horse-themed neopets. my love for horses is strong, but not THAT strong...
bodhi, May 19, 2022 7:13 PM NST
@kirkeyressa Peophin are only half horse, and live in water, tbf.
apophis324, May 20, 2022 12:34 AM NST
@bodhi: Which makes them a seaHORSE. The point still stands
hdawg1995, May 20, 2022 6:40 PM NST
i'm... not a fan of that uni for a lot of reasons, all of which are me problems (i have a lisp and trying to say her name i kept saying "Lilly liver" but i have hope she'll grow on me.
bodhi, May 20, 2022 7:21 PM NST
@apophis324 HALF-horse.
hdawg1995, May 21, 2022 12:08 AM NST
@hdawg1995 sure wish i knew that combination of symbols would make a emote because that makes what i said very very strange XD
apophis324, May 21, 2022 3:39 AM NST
@bodhi: A horse is a horse, of course of course. Unless of course said horse is actually a mythological creature named Hippocampus, which was often depicted as half-horse half-fish and was more commonly named (in English) as sea-horse.

Soooo. The point still stands
neoryan2, May 21, 2022 6:28 AM NST
"Lili Lever"? Wow, yep, this is a Fluttershy insert if I ever saw one.

@apophis324: I believe the Hippocampus is already a thing in Neopets, A.K.A. Peophin.
logicalwhimsy, May 21, 2022 3:30 PM NST
... I thought I'd wait a couple of days to see if my opinion on Team Kreludor's new edgelord improved. Nope. It hasn't. I'm still beyond furious. Simple question to Jumpstaff: WHY? That's it. Just... why? I honestly don't get it. Not one bit. Motormouth doesn't match my team at all. Like... at all. Wegg is a Grundo. Ealyn is a Space Pirate. Jurin looks like he's out of Alien or something. Derlyn's purple and orange design is a throwback to the original origin of Orange Spots on Purple Pets. But... this? Nope. Honestly THIS is why I don't trust Jumpstaff with canon/lore. I didn't think they could ruin Team Kreludor for me but they've come pretty close. I know that Derlyn can put anypet in their place but this is kinda serious from a PR point of view - I can imagine a fan backlash and a sponsor boycott. Why would somepet like Bernard of Booktastic Books want to be associated with us now?

As for Lili... that's just pure draconequus shenanigans. She doesn't really match Kiko Lake but frankly I'd take a trade for our new star striker.
jayne, May 21, 2022 8:32 PM NST
I really love Motor Dahy! Lots of great details and just my kind of character!

However, I think I'm in the minority in that I would like if Lili Lever had hands instead of hooves. How is she supposed to do anything with those hooves? When a hoofed animal is turned into an anthro like that, I like them to have hands with from the last knuckle to the fingertip being made of hoof. The way Sophie the Swamp Witch looks. I'm picky like that. I also think it's weird that she has human shaped shoes. If she has hoof hands shouldn't she have hoof feet too? But then her shoes would be odd shaped. She would probably look better barefoot I think. But I'm just being nit-picky. I can't help it being such a fan of furries. But still, the new characters are cool!
apophis324, May 22, 2022 12:24 AM NST
@neoryan2: Exactly my point, thanks for confirming that

@logicalwhimsy: "Anypet", I love that. Maybe Motor (what kind of name is that anyway?) is some sort of space biker? Biker Mice From Mars type of guy? I don't know, I'm just trying to think of reasons to justify this guy..
Or you could always.. I don't know.. join team Maraqua?
logicalwhimsy, May 22, 2022 5:58 AM NST
@apophis324: ... You're right - Motor is basically Lobo from DC Comics! If he managed to evolve into some sort of Space Biker Bounty Hunter-thing that wouldn't be so bad but still somewhat ill-fitting (more Team Virtupets, arguably). Thanks for the Team Maraqua offer but I'm not sure my Purple Grundo can swim.
apophis324, May 23, 2022 12:34 AM NST
@logicalwhimsy: Hmm. In that case, Motor needs more face paint! And I don't know, I never got any complaints from my Magma Xweetok XD
pinkie_2525, May 27, 2022 9:39 AM NST