Altador Cup XVII
It's Jordle... with Jordie! Can you guess today's word?
Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Discover the characters of Neopia in our Book of Ages!
Create your own wishlists!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup

Neopets to Host Charity Auctions
  • Posted on May 2, 2022, 10:24 am NST

It's been announced that Neopets will be hosting a charity auction for 25 different pieces of artwork previously found displayed in the corporate JumpStart + Neopets offices in southern California. The proceeds from the auctions will be split equally and benefit the following four charities:

• World Wildlife Fund (WWF)
  • The Trevor Project
  • Project HOPE
  • Eden Reforestation Project

A full list of pieces has not yet been announced, but according to a press release will include:

The full collection from the Neopets private vault includes fine art paintings with luxe frames, large standees, and high-quality special posters that have adorned the walls of JumpStart Games headquarters.

The auctions will be held on GiveSmart.com via a live auction process and will be up from May 9th through May 15th for bidding. (We'll post again once we have more details and a place to go.)

dave - JN Staff, May 2, 2022 10:26 AM NST
It's excellent to see Neopets taking initiative raising funds for some great environmental and LGBT organizations.

It's sad to see that it's juxtaposed against the running of an NFT project with a homophobic and transphobic community.
x_snake_man_x, May 2, 2022 11:31 AM NST
The only time I wish I had extra money to throw at non-essential stuff...
ilovedachshunds, May 2, 2022 11:38 AM NST
Fifth charity idea in the off-chance JS sees this: Ukrainian relief efforts
potential_ruler, May 2, 2022 12:34 PM NST
I wonder who is hanging these up once auctioned off.
recklesse, May 2, 2022 12:42 PM NST
Closing down sale?
biediep, May 2, 2022 12:53 PM NST
Ngl I read "Charity" and thought we were finally going to get another Charity Corner but alas, it's more RL stuff I won't be able to buy
hdawg1995, May 2, 2022 2:50 PM NST
if i see anything Jaren related i'm gonna have to remember i don't have the space or money for it.

but DANG does that kass look awesome!
gabzzz12, May 2, 2022 5:28 PM NST
Love the idea, but gawd those frames are tacky.
jen_aside, May 2, 2022 11:06 PM NST
Aw dang, tempting

Still won't resume playing, tho (mostly bc I already knew once I stopped, that was it, no time)
apophis324, May 3, 2022 12:04 AM NST
Who made these? Are these sold with the artists' consent? I mean, I'm all for charity but selling art should never be done lightly.
As for the charities.. I'm afraid I don't know three of the four. What does that say about me (or the charitites they picked to support)?
jomarcenter, May 3, 2022 12:09 AM NST
@apophis324 in the world of physical art you don't need the actual artist consent to resell it. only digital arts is restricted. plus its neopets IP they can do anything they want even if the artist like it or not. Basically youtube rules. If your the right holder of a certain IP you have the right to ask the artist for a fee or sue them like hell. HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT NINTENDO IS DOING!
jomarcenter, May 3, 2022 12:10 AM NST
This is the sad truth of copyright and trademark. Even if you make fan works, The company can sue you if they want.
puffkins2000, May 3, 2022 4:56 AM NST
That Kass art...!
chntl_ls, May 3, 2022 11:22 AM NST
I also question if this is indicating shutting something down or closing.
pikachu315111, May 3, 2022 12:04 PM NST
If I were to be a bit optimistic, maybe it's more of a case of "we have all these beautiful portraits from the old TNT office we're not using and are just taking up space". Being they're one of a kind they didn't want to just trash them or give away. Not sure how they came upon doing this charity, but I imagine the opportunity came to them and they went "hey, how about auctioning the portraits"?

If this is evocative of anything, maybe of another planned office move in the future? Get them out of the office now so that if the time comes they don't have the haul them.

Not sure if I'd purchase any, maybe if they had a really nice Jeran one (though they do have a nice Altador one: https://images.neopets.com/faerieland/tfr_fa61c26562/beard/b3_ba90735569.jpg).
inkpot, May 3, 2022 12:38 PM NST
I always wanted one of these paintings... it concerns me as to why they are selling them though...
premium17, May 3, 2022 1:32 PM NST
Good grief, use the funds to FIX the website.
twistedlittledreamer, May 3, 2022 3:56 PM NST
I hope this doesn't indicate that they're closing the office
contessa, May 3, 2022 4:28 PM NST
I too am glad that they are raising funds for worthy causes but I also hope that it does not mean the office is closing!
peppermint, May 3, 2022 9:33 PM NST
Given what Neopets is, if they're trying to be magnanimous and raise money for charity, it would have been more in line for them to donate the money to a children's charity, something like Ronald McDonald House or St. Jude, or an orphanage, or childhood cancer research.
pikachu315111, May 3, 2022 10:20 PM NST
@ peppermint:
Would fit the child friendly branding, but wouldn't say the ones they chose don't make sense:

* World Wildlife Fund (WWF): An obvious connection, Neopets is a pet site with the Neopets (as well as Petpets and to a certain extent P3s) being based on all sorts of animals, many whom are endangered.

* The Trevor Project: Neopets always had a sizable LGBTQ+ community and in recent years TNT has moved forward supporting this group and giving them a safe place on Neopets.

* Project HOPE: If you can access the internet you can play Neopets. Now Neopets history with the international audience has been choppy at best, though they are still part of the Neopets community. Not to mention, as the Neopets represent animals, the various Neopet lands represent a wide range of cultures.

* Eden Reforestation Project: Neopets pushes to have their worlds have a pre-technology feel unless it has to do with Virtupets & Kreludor, which one can say is a tint having a green message.
peppermint, May 4, 2022 12:43 AM NST
@pikachu315111 - I don't begrudge their choices, but I think it would have been nice... I've known of people on Neo who were dealing with some pretty grim illnesses and only started playing Neopets as escapism. I have a lot of sympathy for children battling diseases, and also have a personal preference for charities that do medical research. I think a lot of amazing breakthroughs are just around the corner that will make life better for a lot of people in the future. :-)
lucy_haha, May 4, 2022 7:38 AM NST
So I saw the charity auction thing and immediately thought "not a freaking NFT 'charity auction' please"
Fortunately, I was just overthinking.
rainyjane, May 5, 2022 3:58 AM NST
huh?
moonlightwitch, May 5, 2022 8:32 PM NST
Lord Kass... I ain't got room
amunet, May 7, 2022 2:13 PM NST
I wonder how much they would go for ...
masterdeals, May 9, 2022 6:47 PM NST
Offical, https://e.givesmart.com/events/qXr/
Which is the launch auction page.
warbreeder, May 11, 2022 2:56 AM NST
No not my neopets stay the heck out of all of that crapp and play games grrr