Altador Cup XVII
It's Jordle... with Jordie! Can you guess today's word?
Earn NP from playing games!
All the hottest looks, try them on today!
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup

Ummy
April Merch Recap
  • Posted by Ummy
  • Posted on April 30, 2022, 3:40 pm NST

As mentioned in Neopets' latest newsletter, Upper Deck announced that a new line of Neopets trading cards will launch in May. You can read more about this new venture in the press release.

In short, these cards will be "featuring fan-favorite characters and unlockable paintbrush achievements, with some other surprises along the way." In addition to this new collection, a new Neopets Trading Card Game is in the works for late Summer 2023.

It is unknown at this time if these cards will include Virtual Prize Codes. We will keep you updated on the details of acquiring physical cards once we learn more.

Geekify has posted 3 Negg Squishies up for pre-order: Happy Negg, Cool Negg, and Fish Negg. They are available individually or as a set and are expected to ship around late August. There's a video in the product listing on what happens when you let out all your NFT-related stress on them (sadly, they don't explode).

Cakeworthy's Faerie Doll Blind Box pins have finally restocked after previously selling out (twice, in fact). You can find them at a lower cost in the Neopets Shop. In the Cakeworthy Store, the print dress, onesie, and the Your Neopets Are Dying tote are now marked down to 50% off.

Check out our Discount Codes page for extra savings on Neopets products.

pikachu315111, April 30, 2022 4:47 PM NST
Neat! Or at least better than NFTs.

* Trading Cards: Okay, 2 simple request if you insist on doing these: (1) don't use the default art, make some new art (maybe commission some Neopet artists) and (2) take note from the Dueling Decks site game and add in stats for Courage, Charisma, and Intelligence so that they have a little playability bonus then just being pretty art.

* Paintbrush Achievements: TNT you gotta be careful what words you use cause Paintbrushes are a pretty special (and sometimes expensive) item, don't want to sound like you're giving them out willy-nilly.

* Trading Card Game: So is this a new TCG or is expanding on the old one? I'm hoping the latter as I don't think a completely new TCG is gonna be worth it so might as well build upon the one that exists (which would give them the chance to also rerelease old cards; also they can reuse the old TCG Code Redemption Center).

* Negg Squishies: These are cute, and the first 3 choices are a good choice, very iconic. Was gonna suggest some others, though my list started to get long, so if they decide to make any more I'll just let them decide.

* Faerie Pins: Good to hear they're doing well. If they're doing good maybe considering doing other items like popular BD weapons or Hidden Tower items. Collectible items like stamps, coins, sea shells, charms, Evil Coconuts, etc. would probably also be a prime choice.
labtech468, April 30, 2022 5:01 PM NST
Hm, I can't get the press release link to work. Would like to know if there will be any physical cards with any of it
hdawg1995, April 30, 2022 5:03 PM NST
please please please let the trading cards be compatible with the old TCG, please please please let the trading cards be compatible with the old TCG. i found my old cards and have a playmat and cards on table top sim, please breath new life into this amazing tcg i miss it so much.
ummy - JN Staff, April 30, 2022 5:34 PM NST
@labtech468- Fixed the link.
@hdawg1995- They almost certainly won't be compatible with the old TCG since the old set was made by Wizards of the Coast, plus card games have evolved a lot since 2008.
pikachu315111, April 30, 2022 5:53 PM NST
@ ummy:
Does WotC own copyright to the style of the original Neopets cards?

And if they do, if they adjust the cards so that they look different but can still be played with the same rules would that be a way around it?

Because if they can't for whatever reason expand upon the old TCG either directly or indirectly, and it has to be a completely new TCG, honestly I would just suggest copying Hearthstone (obviously making enough changes that it's not a direct 1:1). Like one obvious difference they can do is keep the winning objective being banking enough NP. I'd also suggest maybe having the "champion" able to come out onto the field (and maybe even being able to switch between champions if you have more than one in your deck).
mavegibson, April 30, 2022 6:29 PM NST
Iconic Negg squishies = take my money, please!
biediep, May 1, 2022 12:23 AM NST
Oh man, I still have some old Neopets cards from forever ago. It's the ONLY Neo merch my country ever got besides Series 3 KQ plushies (yes, only series 3 for some reason).
I REALLY hope these won't be US-only so I can collect these too and show my support for actual merch, but who am I kidding..
1jediboy, May 1, 2022 1:20 AM NST
* Trading Cards: It's going to be very upsetting if the upcoming card game isn't compatible with the prior card game.

(maybe commission some Neopet artists)
YES!!! What pikachu315111 said! Dedicated Neopets-user art would be AMAZING!!!

* Negg Squishies: Aww! Cute!
puffkins2000, May 1, 2022 9:02 AM NST
YES. Trading cards! Those were my go-to when they first came out. Although.... I'm a little skeptical when it comes to the artwork. The original was absolutely beautiful and detailed.

....have you seen some of the artwork on the current Neo? Some are great, yeah.... some not so much.

I might be in the low majority of people who would be upset that the new and old cards aren't compatible with each other---I personally only collected them, never played them. It would have been nice if they had gone back to Wizards of the Coast however.

I hope they come with RICC though, and I hope they'll be sold in actual stores, so I can buy them.
emeraldmartini, May 1, 2022 9:25 AM NST
the PR: ""The new Neopets trading card collection will launch in May and will be available at UpperDeckEpack.com.""

Does that mean no physical cards then? I don't have interest in e cards :/// Will the game cards be physical cards at least?
theawedude, May 1, 2022 1:12 PM NST
Dang, I thought the trading card *game* was coming out this year. At least the pandemic will finally be truly and completely over by then, right?

R-right?
neocoladude, May 2, 2022 9:23 AM NST
The wording on the TCG stuff has been...interesting, to say the least, in regards as to whether it'll be a continuation of the old game or not. It could really go either way at this point, but I REALLY hope it's a continuation than a new thing. But then again...when Viacom made their own card packs when they were merchandising Neo like crazy, there was NO GAME attached to those ones, so anything would be better than that I guess, but I can't imagine WOTC would be too hateful when it comes to hoarding the rights for an ancient game like the previous Neo TCG. Like...wth would they even want it for anymore? Whatever sale(s) were needed to let the game continue likely happened awhile ago...if they intend to capitalize on the previous game. And...why wouldn't they? I don't really have confidence in JS making their own, brand new card game tbh.