Altador Cup XVII
It's Jordle... with Jordie! Can you guess today's word?
Help us model your pets!
All the hottest looks, try them on today!
Discover the characters of Neopia in our Book of Ages!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup

Quidd Uses Neopets Brand to Promote Their Cryptocurrency
  • Posted on April 27, 2022, 9:12 am NST

UPDATE, 1:00 PM NST: This promotion has apparently been canceled by Quidd. In the process, Quidd has asked us to remove this post, which is a request we will not honor.

Earlier today, Quidd (the marketplace that recently began selling digital Neopets stickers, and budding NFT marketplace) announced that they will be using the Neopets brand to promote their own in-house cryptocurrency, $QUIDD.

In short, whenever a Neopets sticker is sold on the Quidd marketplace, the buyer and seller will be airdropped some free $QUIDD cryptocurrency. The scheme seems to be using the Neopets brand to spread their currency to more users to promote adoption as Quidd expands into the NFT and crypto markets.

But that’s just the beginning. Imagine if eBay had issued a token in the late 90s. Now, imagine buying into it. The next revolution in retail is here, and $QUIDD is making it possible for you to participate at the very beginning of it all.

From Introducing $QUIDD

The promotion is not available to residents of various countries, including the usual suspects of Iran, North Korea, etc., but also included in that list is any resident of the United States of America.

You can read more about the promotion on their blog.

sliced_ramen, April 27, 2022 9:21 AM NST
Weird to exclude the US, but also I still don't want Neopets NFT/crypto anywhere.
zixianna, April 27, 2022 9:22 AM NST
Please... no...
tpandai, April 27, 2022 9:29 AM NST
I love how they use that ebay analogy but like *if* ebay had tokens - how do they know it would’ve been successful? In fact - I can think of another site that tried something like that and it went under. (It was for buying/selling games but the site had its own currency - don’t remember the name of it.)

I mean this is all annoying but I also still don’t see this going anywhere. No one asked for digital boring stickers.
recklesse, April 27, 2022 9:30 AM NST
This seems totally surreal.

When every man and his dog has launched their own cryptocurrency none of them will be worth anything to anybody.

Anybody want to buy into my new Yurblecoin?
portmaw, April 27, 2022 10:16 AM NST
We have it in Canada but the USA can't? These are truly strange times we live in.
ixigirl23, April 27, 2022 10:24 AM NST
Woo, lets go Yurblecoin!
dave - JN Staff, April 27, 2022 10:43 AM NST
@portmaw: They're probably trying to avoid some sort of financial/securities laws that the USA has.
serpentshrine, April 27, 2022 11:12 AM NST
Very bold of a website with a dwindling market to make their own cryptocurrency. Even bolder to lock out a country where it's rather popular

This is gonna crash and burn and by god I'll love every second of it
blue_star_51, April 27, 2022 11:38 AM NST
I wonder what US law they are dodging.
apophis324, April 27, 2022 12:37 PM NST
I have an idea! JellyNeo must come up with their own NFTs! The non-dung ones. Ehm.. J311yNeos! A perfect plan!
serpentshrine, April 27, 2022 1:02 PM NST
I came back to read more and the link to their blog post seems to be..
Maybe broken? Do I need an account to read it?
problematicperiplum, April 27, 2022 1:08 PM NST
Pure, undadultered cringe. Hate this so much.
nielo, April 27, 2022 1:10 PM NST
@serpentshrine Apparently, they deleted the post, because when I click the link I get an error saying "the author deleted this medium story", and when I go their main page, the most recent post is from 6 days ago.
dave - JN Staff, April 27, 2022 1:38 PM NST
@apophis324: We already did back in April 2021, and we deeply regret the venture.

roshchodesh, April 27, 2022 2:39 PM NST
@dave - of all of the NFT/crypto 'ventures' ever, jellyneo's April 2021 was the best, the only legitimate one, the only one with any intelligence and aplomb.
theawedude, April 27, 2022 5:11 PM NST
> In the process, Quidd has asked us to remove this post, which is a request we will not honor.

Dare I say, based?
rosamooooo, April 27, 2022 5:15 PM NST
Thumbs up to JN for not honoring their request. Being an adult means that you accept responsibility for your actions - including announcements. Don't want to be called on it? Then don't do it in the first place.
rosamooooo, April 27, 2022 5:17 PM NST
P.S. If it is NOT available in the US, that probably means they fear being nailed in a lawsuit for felonious deeds.
serpentshrine, April 27, 2022 6:12 PM NST
Do us neopets fans truly have this much power....?

Jokes aside, someone high up must have gotten REALLY mad for them to scrub everything AND reach out to a /fansite/ of all things. I think someone must have gotten a little over excited with the brand deal

I expected this to crash, but not this quickly. This is great!
coryldork, April 27, 2022 6:18 PM NST
is there a saved version of their announcement, since they're now trying to basically backtrack and pretend this didn't happen? I'll check cached info online but it would be worth having it around anyway.
flamezeai, April 27, 2022 8:01 PM NST
What the actual —- is this…can neopets just STOP AND LISTEN TO ITS REMAINING CUSTOMER BASE
devonte127499, April 27, 2022 10:42 PM NST
When will these sites learn that we don’t want deal with this garbage. Screaming at Dave leaving the post up so Quidd can always be reminded that this failed yet again
kiriska, April 27, 2022 10:48 PM NST
@coryldock, there's a cached version here, though it redirects to a 404 and you can only view it in text only mode: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:i6rhU7ggMgkJ:https://medium.com/@quiddtoken/quidd-neopets-trading-rewards-54c10aaba0ba&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1&vwsrc=0
lucy_haha, April 27, 2022 10:57 PM NST
You guys REALLY need to know what NetDragon said, honestly.

Hey JN, I'm not sure what's the problem, maybe it's the domain name that blocked you guys from replying? I don't see why you'd not be interested in that.
lucy_haha, April 27, 2022 11:00 PM NST
Oh wait, neverminded, I found the reply.
dietercoke, April 27, 2022 11:04 PM NST
The way I gasped aloud when I read the update lol loves it (but not really cuz it sucks overall). I just don't understand honestly lol. If they listened to the community and fixed stuff/put serious work in/improve the relationship/etc a lot of people, myself included, might be a lot more inclined to buy merch and get premium again and such. It just feels icky and I don't wanna be pessimistic about Neo's future/I don't want to put those vibes out but it's just not good
singing1633, April 28, 2022 12:54 AM NST
I'm confused, I missed that whole thing NFT. I don't understand what the big deal of cryptocurrency is, unless there's more behind this than I'm seeing. I myself only stocks in things like dogecoin, bitcoin etc, so would really like to know what's so bad about this all as I came back to see the whole #NONEONFT everywhere xD
cartunegirl56, April 28, 2022 12:54 AM NST
Original post made me
Update made me
singing1633, April 28, 2022 12:57 AM NST
@theawedude I wouldn't say based, I think if someone makes a mistake and is asking you to remove stuff on it it's kind to do so. Are you required to, nope, definitely jelly's choice, I do however do think it's something to commend.
singing1633, April 28, 2022 12:58 AM NST
*don't
gabzzz12, April 28, 2022 1:18 AM NST
Just stoooooooooooop.
lucy_haha, April 28, 2022 1:27 AM NST
They won't. ND wants to show it's "investment in cryptocurrency " in its financial statement but they can't in the current standard. They're not going to give up NFT.
themeepit32, April 28, 2022 3:15 AM NST
With the US laws now cracking down on NFTs and project being canceled, it looks bleak for future projects
lucy_haha, April 28, 2022 4:28 AM NST
Oh, US is doing something on the NFTs? Let's see if Hong Kong will do similar move. I'd sure love to see ND's reaction.
ummy - JN Staff, April 28, 2022 4:38 AM NST
I knew something must have been up since JS wouldn't go through the trouble of delaying the launch til April if this was just harmless virtual stickers.
themeepit32, April 28, 2022 5:34 AM NST
NFTs are a scam, I honestly don't care about the other impacts, just the fact they're scamming people
nugget, April 28, 2022 6:49 AM NST
@singing1633 found the spy.
roshchodesh, April 28, 2022 11:58 AM NST
carry yourself with swagger jn, go on, yasss.
apophis324, April 28, 2022 12:04 PM NST
@dave: Ooh, I forgot about that! Can we bring the Neggative Faerie back? She seems nice and perfect for Neopets~!

Also, good on you for keeping this post! Freedom! Freedom! JellyNeo, go buy Twitter!
minidriver, April 29, 2022 9:33 AM NST
I was thinking Dr Sloth launching an NFT (Neopet Fungible Token) would be a fun plot line, but even he has standards.
mistwolf543, April 29, 2022 7:16 PM NST
Good on you for not deleting.