Altador Cup XVII
It's Jordle... with Jordie! Can you guess today's word?
Earn NP from playing games!
Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup

Match-3 Game Re-Enters Beta
  • Posted on April 13, 2022, 10:31 am NST

Over the past few months, the new Match-3 mobile app Neopia Movie Studio has been non-functional in the closed beta it had on both platforms. However, this morning a new build has been released, and the app has undergone a major change, down to both name and theme.

It is now called Faerie's Hope, and it appears the central idea of rebuilding a movie studio has been completely scrapped. Instead, the game now centers on an amnesiac Light Faerie who has been frozen in time since before the fall of Faerieland, and her efforts to restore her memories and rebuild her home.

Much of the match-3 gameplay remains the same with a few tweaks, however.

Note that, at present, this beta is only available on Android, and it appears only for the original closed beta testers there. There is no iOS build uploaded to the TestFlight app for the previous iOS closed beta. The new Android build contains monetisation elements, which may explain why there is presently no iOS beta version. Players of Island Builders may remember that all iOS beta versions have had their paid elements disabled in beta.

Many of the previous characters still appear, though with different names and different stories.

We'll keep you updated with any additional changes!

liesha, April 13, 2022 10:48 AM NST
I wish this was a plot and they would create a new Faerieland in the clouds. They could name it Celestial City like in Petpet Park.
diegocanepa, April 13, 2022 10:53 AM NST
Good news for the game. It seems like they listen to people's suggestions. On the other hand, JumpStart/TNT...
verdego, April 13, 2022 11:03 AM NST
Well, even if it's another match-3 clone at least this theming is MUCH better and feels much more 'neopets'.
dave - JN Staff, April 13, 2022 11:12 AM NST
This looks much more promising as a Neopets-y game!
herdy - JN Staff, April 13, 2022 11:22 AM NST
I wasn't exactly against the old version - I just found it very confusing story-wise - but this feels a lot more Neopets.
problematicperiplum, April 13, 2022 11:30 AM NST
I'll rip the assets for this soon. I should also probably upload all of the cutscenes to YouTube as well since they would otherwise be lost.
dave - JN Staff, April 13, 2022 11:39 AM NST
@problematicperiplum: Thanks as always!! Shoot me an email when you do
1jediboy, April 13, 2022 12:43 PM NST
Thank goodness! No paved roads in Neopia!

I’d gleefully play this!
kiriska, April 13, 2022 1:06 PM NST
A bit weird to me that the "neopets" in this logo doesn't use the Neopets logo font, but definitely like this direction/framing/story for the game way more than the movie studio thing.
biediep, April 13, 2022 1:20 PM NST
Well, that's an improvement!
The previous version was so weird ._.
How does one become a closed beta tester? Is there still a way to do this or will everyone who's not already a beta tester have to wait for the open beta / actual release?
herdy - JN Staff, April 13, 2022 1:49 PM NST
This is seemingly using the very first beta testing pool. There's currently no way to get added to it.
i_love_latin - JN Staff, April 13, 2022 2:52 PM NST
Okay, this is legitimately a much better theme. I hope this gets added to iOS soon.
lasergu, April 13, 2022 3:14 PM NST
The recent updates (site updates and now this app) have been promising. I hope the team is finally getting their stuff together.
shugoshadow, April 13, 2022 3:50 PM NST
Thank goodness the graphics look much better. Still not great, and no points for creativity, but at least it looks like a neopets game now lol. I'd give it a shot. Actually looks quite nice for a work in progress game.

Blue Shoyru character still looks a bit off to me, but I love the Faerie Shoyru character they added! Though maybe I'm just happy to see Shoyrus being used for something, they were always my favorite.
suzuka - JN Staff, April 13, 2022 3:55 PM NST
Whether or not it's everyone's cup of tea, this at least seems like a "Neopets" game. I hope that it has more success in finding the right vibe.
gabzzz12, April 13, 2022 4:24 PM NST
I might actually play this. It looks super cute.
nobody, April 13, 2022 6:54 PM NST
My Neopia Studio remains a ghosttown. And was reset?
chanty, April 13, 2022 7:37 PM NST
I hate how Jumpstart transformed Neopets into a girly game with these graphics of Faeries. Neopets is more than Faerieland.
cutypie349514, April 13, 2022 8:50 PM NST
Oh no I would actually love to build a house in classic Faerieland... don't make me play a match 3 game, please.
remy, April 14, 2022 6:59 AM NST
Another mobile game not for Apple users and will never be updated for Apple users! If only they spent this time updating things for iOS instead of churning out more Android-exclusive mobile games.
go_me_123_, April 14, 2022 8:01 AM NST
Glad for the plot change, now it actually fits in with the lore lol. I'll probably give this game a shot when it releases
aimeemarie1992, April 14, 2022 12:17 PM NST
Aww man I wish I could play.
1jediboy, April 14, 2022 1:20 PM NST
There is a human face in the top image!

The cloud curls and makes the sky look like a head!
dietercoke, April 14, 2022 1:33 PM NST
@chanty ??? Neo always has faeries lol besides I'm pretty sure Neopets isn't a classic masculine alpha game, go play football or somethin
1jediboy, April 14, 2022 3:44 PM NST
Personally, I'm fine with extra Faerieland content, but if the majority of Neopians feel that the game is imbalanced and is partial to one demographic instead of multiple, then the game isn't finished.

They can't release a game that isolates players for what they like. It's not good policy.
roshchodesh, April 14, 2022 3:51 PM NST
@ 1jediboy 'There is a human face in the top image!'
Whoa, you're right! Good catch!
1jediboy, April 14, 2022 6:20 PM NST
Thank you!
chelzies, April 15, 2022 6:57 AM NST
I played the first version as far as it would let me, and I feel like the entire thing wasn't put together well. I like the "candy crush" type of games, so it was entertaining, but the storyline needed so much work. I'm glad this one looks more promising, but idk how to access it since I deleted the original game a while back.
spacegoblim, April 15, 2022 7:37 AM NST
@chanty Understand your position, but I think is genius that Neopets made it quite girly, most match-3 games are quite gender neutral so it being girly makes it pop-off more and well is a mobile game too so the majority of players will be female and it being a fantastical theme is another thing on their favor.
My only problem is that ok, they have money to make this with a cute art style and all but can't make one event not reuse assets?

(And not saying that women only play feminine-looking games but is good to see a game that isn't afraid to be girly.)
pinkie_2525, April 17, 2022 6:31 PM NST
"uh oh this game has girl cooties so i can't play" stop being lame and enjoy the 100th match-3 kids website game app like the rest of us, boi
sosoeuso, April 18, 2022 8:51 AM NST
Bruh if you're truly feeling alienated from content because you can't stand *le gasp* pink and feminine stuff, I'd ask you seriously to go to therapy.