Altador Cup XVII
It's Jordle... with Jordie! Can you guess today's word?
Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!
Create your own wishlists!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup

Festival of Neggs
  • Posted on April 12, 2022, 10:54 am NST

This year's Festival of Neggs has launched! To begin, click on Kari on the Festival page.

There's no prerequisite quest this year—you'll jump right into hunting for your first negg! However, you'll listen in on a conversation between Kari and the Crumpetmonger about some mysterious going-ons in Neovia...

For a full rundown of where to go (if you want to skip the hunting yourself), check out our guide for solutions:

As is usual for this event, the first day will be "day 1.5" and run through April 13th. You will be able to hunt for the second negg starting on Thursday, April 14th.

UPDATE: The Festival's NC portion, Dip & Bob Apples run by Bart, is now live as of April 19th!

nobody, April 12, 2022 11:05 AM NST
This is so exciting to me. Love the spooky Victorian vives. Vampire? Ghost? Darling old lady offering scones?
apophis324, April 12, 2022 11:40 AM NST
Wait.. Why is my Negg not showing up? Is it because I have a shop-related perk going on?

apophis324, April 12, 2022 11:41 AM NST
Oh, never mind. The quest page was slow with its refreshing and I left before it did, so I wasn't actually on my quest yet. Good programming TNT!
dave - JN Staff, April 12, 2022 11:59 AM NST
@apophis324: Are you getting any of the StackPath interstitial redirects? If you get one of those, the action you just took is not registered.
topaz644, April 12, 2022 12:10 PM NST
I've tried and tried. No quest log, no negg on the petpet shop page.

I have the shop boon active.

I've read the dialogue umpteen times (bad accent Crumpetmonger) lol

Not switching browsers because that one is busy actually doing things.
roshchodesh, April 12, 2022 12:15 PM NST
I had the exact same problem as apophis324 and also have the Black Market Goods boon. After I saw the post I went back and refreshed a few times and it worked.

I agree with apophis324 about the morbidity, I did a *facepalm* when I read " a stranger was caught vandalizin' a Neovian crypt" . Um...
Really, I'm sure it was an innocent oversight.

Amidst the dark chaos in the world, this is just depressing.
roshchodesh, April 12, 2022 12:16 PM NST
@topaz644 - arrow through the dialog again, when you see Kari, that's where I refreshed - I hope that helps, I hope it works
apophis324, April 12, 2022 12:18 PM NST
@dave: Oh that too, but not at that time. I really hate that stupid security screen! >: | Does it even make the site more secure? Port the site to HTTPS already, like most websites these days!

@roshchodesh: Agreed. This is.. a bit tasteless, given the times. I wonder why all events need to have story these days. Just let me hunt my neggs and give me my rewards for it
roshchodesh, April 12, 2022 12:18 PM NST
when you see Kari, after the dialog... click on her, refresh
topaz644, April 12, 2022 12:26 PM NST
That worked roshchodesh!

Thank you.

(they still need to fix it).
topaz644, April 12, 2022 1:19 PM NST
" a stranger was caught vandalizin' a Neovian crypt"

I don't see this the same way. Looked like a heck of a good start of a plevent to me.

Maybe I know too much about truly morbid stuff to have that reaction. lol
onelittlespark, April 12, 2022 1:58 PM NST
Really love the spooky halloween mixed with spring vibes for this event. I think it's a great juxtaposition and I'm super excited to see where the story goes.
roshchodesh, April 12, 2022 2:59 PM NST
@topaz644 I'm soooo glad! I had to leave for an appt and didn't have time, so it's a nice surprise to get home and see it worked!
^^(they still need to fix it). Yes, indeed, they do
roshchodesh, April 12, 2022 3:23 PM NST
" a stranger was caught vandalizin' a Neovian crypt"

roshchodesh, April 12, 2022 3:25 PM NST
@topaz644 "bad accent Crumpetmonger"
Oh my, SO true! I cringed through the dialog
parody_ham, April 12, 2022 6:48 PM NST
Given that the Neopian Times just had their holiday mash-up April Fools' Day issue, I find the timing really amusing. It all seems like quirky, fun multi-holiday shenanigans to me (with a hope for something more/plevent-ish. I'm all for it Haunted negg hunts? Sure, why not
queenvela, April 12, 2022 8:22 PM NST
I thought adding a story was a welcome improvement! Also, I like the way the Crumpetmonger talks. She's always been like that. Reminds me of Myrtle from The Paradise and probably some other characters I've seen in British period pieces that fit her role.
lokaula, April 12, 2022 9:10 PM NST
Wow! Thanks to all who posted tips here about getting the Negg Fest to start, and on retrieving Neggs! It wasn't working for me, so I hit refresh on Kari, then I was finally officially on the Negg Hunt. And once I got to Legendary Pets, that darn "security" page kept interrupting the Neggs from loading, so I kept refreshing and it finally worked there too!
apophis324, April 13, 2022 12:05 AM NST
@roshchodesh: Oh my goodness, I hadn't even thought of it like THAT! That would be in even more poor taste, if that is what they were aiming for. I'm afraid we'll simply have to wait and see. Probably turns out that Prigpants and Swolthy were secretly hiding the Spirit of Slumber in her basement where it struck a deal with the Yurble caretaker of the local cemetary.

See, I can write for TNT
zebshep, April 13, 2022 8:00 AM NST
stories2btold, April 13, 2022 8:17 AM NST
Some of y’all will look for anything… just enjoy the event.
apophis324, April 13, 2022 9:13 AM NST
@stories2btold: But but but... Isn't this event all about looking for things?
littleworldshaker, April 13, 2022 9:55 AM NST
@stories2btold
- Seriously though.
roshchodesh, April 13, 2022 10:41 AM NST
roshchodesh, April 13, 2022 10:48 AM NST
Crumpetmonger British accent? Cockney accent? Scottish? PIRATE?
Ay, there's the rub!
Ay is different from aye
Aight?
stories2btold, April 13, 2022 12:55 PM NST
@apophis324

I’m gonna look for neggs, not reasons to be offended
stories2btold, April 13, 2022 1:01 PM NST
I respect all of those differences and the expression of them.

That’s great, I agree. But there’s no reason to assume that TNT is attacking a religion (one as popular as Christianity, no less) for the hell of it. Quite frankly I’d be surprised if they were even aware of their choice of wording, nonetheless doing it on purpose. The FoN has always been a celebration of Neo’s own version of Easter, with bunnies and neggs and floral arrangements. There’s no religious connection bc it’s never been religious.

Also they’re literally in a place full of graveyards? Vandalism and spooky things are bound to happen lol.
roshchodesh, April 13, 2022 1:35 PM NST
@storiestobetold
If you go back and read my original post you'll see it says nothing about making fun of religion and it also says that I thought it was a misstep
nobody, April 13, 2022 6:07 PM NST
Here for the naughty ghosties.
labtech468, April 13, 2022 6:37 PM NST
@storiestobetold totally agree with your comments

this is cute, I really like it so far
zoeyaugust1245, April 13, 2022 8:12 PM NST
i, too, feel like it's a stretch to say it's an attack on christianity. there's no religion aspect to the festival of neggs, just like the halloween and advent calendar events aren't religious. also, people vandalize graves often. people are entitled to think it's tasteless, but it's really not an attack on a religion
recklesse, April 13, 2022 11:27 PM NST
Crumpetmonger British accent?
———
mavegibson, April 14, 2022 11:40 AM NST
@storiestobetold One doesn't have to 'look' very hard to see the reference. I'm an atheist and I noticed it. It didn't offend me, but I respect that it might offend others.

I think one can't ignore the religious connection to a lot of people have to easter. If TNT are going to put together a secular event for it, it would behoove them to be sensitive to how they frame it so as not to accidentally draw religious connections among some players and make them uncomfortable. Crypt - 3 days... these are obvious references to avoid in a secular easter event.

I think it's unlikely that these references were intentional, but that doesn't make them any less... in poor taste, as someone else put it. Perhaps not malicious, but insensitive it would seem.

I love Neovia, and I'm excited about the setting for this event, but I wish the theme wasn't so grim/dark. Spring is for green, flowers, bright sunshine and blue skies. Especially with everything going on in the world, I would have preferred a more up-beat, hopeful theme. Have we not all seen enough death lately?
roshchodesh, April 15, 2022 4:44 AM NST
Bravo mavegibson, Brava💙
roshchodesh, April 15, 2022 4:51 AM NST
@reclesse '"It’s about as British as Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, and equally excruciating.".
so very well put!! Bwahahahaha
roshchodesh, April 15, 2022 12:45 PM NST
I wish they had made The Crumpetmongers Teatime Treats and the Steampunk Comb, wearables.

Chag Sameach
roshchodesh, April 19, 2022 7:06 AM NST
It's SO spooky
pikachu315111, April 19, 2022 9:11 AM NST
* "Also.. Is it really a good idea to hold this festival in a sanitorium where several Neopets canonically lost their lives? Poor Lucy... "
* "I did a *facepalm*"
* "Agreed. This is.. a bit tasteless, given the times."

Eh, sure it's a bit morbid, but it's also the Haunted Woods. Morbid is kind of the theme. And, if we were to act if this was real life, I don't think the characters are doing this out of disrespect. Rather, they know of the Sanitorium's sad history and are maybe thinking trying to redeem the place and possibly using it again for much better purposes. Hosting the Negg Festival there helps both clean it up and also shows it's not a cursed place to be ignored.

As for the whole "crypt stranger", well that's obviously set up for the antagonist of this year's Festival. Yeah, it's a morbid thing to intrude and vandalize a crypt, but they're the antagonist, that's what they do: bad things which make you not like them and want to stop them. Heck, maybe they'll reveal this stranger to be a zombie/spirit from the Sanitorium thinking the Festival being held their is sacrilegious and it'll be up to Kari (and the players) to convince them they're trying to help.
pikachu315111, April 19, 2022 9:21 AM NST
* "What I found tasteless is that it's Easter - part of that story is 'the burial in a crypt,guarding against vandals away, after three days...'etc. when It's not my holiday but I felt badly -it was a misstep, I think"
* "Oh my goodness, I hadn't even thought of it like THAT! That would be in even more poor taste, if that is what they were aiming for."
* "I wouldn't be surprised if this was yet another bash at the Christian religion coming from this TNT."

That's a bit of a jump to make. They're talking about crypts not because its a Easter-adjacent holiday but because they're in the Haunted Woods and, as @topaz644 said, for a place like that someone intruding & messing with a crypt is a good start to a mystery (would you feel differently if it was a graveyard or morgue?). Especially if the stranger is a zombie or ghost.
pikachu315111, April 19, 2022 9:29 AM NST
* "I don't like being told how to feel, what to feel, or having what I feel negated or diminished. There's a big danger in that, we all are different and we see through different lenses. I respect all of those differences and the expression of them."

No one is disrespecting you, we're just assuring you that any resemblance to the Resurrection is coincidental. I mean, Neopets celebrate Christmas, we have an advent calendar every year. Heck, the reason we have the Negg Festival is so TNT can just take the (N)Egg painting & hunting aspect of Easter without the religious aspects as not to offend.

All this is about is they're hosting the Negg Festival in the Haunted Woods, Neovia specifically, and we have an antagonist trying to mess with it, one way by messing with a random crypt.

Remember the MST3K mantra: "Repeat to yourself 'It's just a game, I should really just relax.'""
pikachu315111, April 19, 2022 9:45 AM NST
*"One doesn't have to 'look' very hard to see the reference."
*"Crypt - 3 days... these are obvious references to avoid in a secular easter event."

Had this discussion not happened I wouldn't have thought of it. All I got from reading that sentence, along with the other issues that were mentioned, was that there's someone trying to sabotage the Negg Festival. They could have said "5 days" and it was a "school" and it would still tell us the same message. The number "3" is usually a number many go to to show that, while something had been planned, it was also done in a bit of a rush. And its a crypt because this is the Haunted Woods and that's a location many people would agree messing with is a bad idea.

* "I love Neovia, and I'm excited about the setting for this event, but I wish the theme wasn't so grim/dark."

It's the Haunted Woods. And the theme I'm getting is that Kari is trying to bring back happiness to a place which generally is glum. Sure there's a troublemaker afoot, but judging what happened last few Festivals it'll have a happy ending.
roshchodesh, April 20, 2022 3:30 PM NST
FINALLY, the Festival of Neggs in Neovia story is unfolding and getting SCARY!!!
Your neopet walks into the Crumpetmonger's and sees the bundt-like cake on the counter.... your neopet approaches with eyes on this tempting, but somewhat intimidating cake, reaches out its paw to grab it and WHAM! the cake BITES its PAW RIGHT OFF!! OOOOOoooooOOOOOooo Those were FANGS NOT FONDANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sopabolaos, April 27, 2022 12:58 AM NST
After clicking in the brain tree you have to read all the dialogue then go to grave danger and start clicking several times until you find dialogues you have to continue clicking like 3 or 4 times more dialogue appears. After a few dialogues you have an option to choose por a prize click some more to find dialogue then choose final negg.