Altador Cup XVII
It's Jordle... with Jordie! Can you guess today's word?
Create your own wishlists!
Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Earn NP from playing games!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup

NFT Metaverse Wants Your "Critical Opinions"
  • Posted on December 30, 2021, 11:52 am NST

We hope you're having a good holiday interlude between Christmas and the New Year!

When you have a few moments, the Neopets Metaverse team is soliciting "thoughts, ideas, and critical opinions" from fellow Neopians on how they should begin building out the play-to-earn version of Neopia. This "game" will be where you can use your sad, fruit salad hat Neopets NFTs.

Here's a sampling of the questions:

» We are super bold on bringing Neopets to the blockchain. If you are a die-hard Neopets fan, what elements of the existing game do you want to see in the Metaverse?

» What questions or words of wisdom do you have for the building team? We will keep them in mind.

» Who should we partner with, and why? Please feel free to dump some links here for us to check.

The survey is only open until early morning January 1st, so get your thoughts in now! It's imperative that real Neopians get your feedback to the Neopets team building out this new version of Neopia.

If you've missed the NFT debacle from the last couple months—never fear, you can read all about it here! NetDragon, owner of Neopets, has since declared the project a "success" and is going full steam ahead on Neopets NFTs.

herdy - JN Staff, December 30, 2021 12:42 PM NST
Just want to be clear, if it wasn't already from the Metaverse branding, but the implicit threat of the partner question is that NFTs from other brands will become available in the game they are building, which is set in the Neopets universe.

This is a project that is actively soliciting ideas for different brands to inject directly into Neopets lore, and once they are there there are no take backs.
kathyob, December 30, 2021 1:15 PM NST
Is it me or was that survey trying to be a little bit to hip? What trash.
galifan, December 30, 2021 1:26 PM NST
Thanks for sharing the information! I'm afraid submitting the survey might expose my email account and other information to being sold or hacked. People who would stoop to a scheme like NFTs have no scruples.
herdy - JN Staff, December 30, 2021 1:53 PM NST
@galifan: The section asking for contact details is optional - you can skip it and still fill in the rest of the survey.
blastoise87blue, December 30, 2021 2:34 PM NST
It was hard to be as polite as possible with saying no to Neo NFT'S
reconnection, December 30, 2021 3:02 PM NST
I answered basically everything #NoNeoNFTs and they can have my email, its a throwaway anyway
1jediboy, December 30, 2021 3:08 PM NST
I want crossovers with Neopets… But only with great care and respect for both worlds… Like Neopets and Monkey Quest!

And I CERTAINLY don’t want the False-TNT Metaverse-crew putting anything into Neopets, as I know that they’ll just implement brands that’ll just make them more dirty-money.

Tobacco,
Alcohol,
Unprescribed medicine,
Innuendo,
Political agendas,
Twinkies,
and Violent content that will absolutely pray and target the few, yet existing susceptible child audience that plays Neopets now.
zoeyaugust1245, December 30, 2021 3:12 PM NST
There is no possible way to describe how much I miss Monkey Quest.

On par with how much I miss PetPet Park. Those were so good.
marfbear, December 30, 2021 3:35 PM NST
Well, I gave them my honest opinion. I doubt they will give it any consideration.
pikachu315111, December 30, 2021 3:59 PM NST
*Cracks knuckles* Let me post what I said:

PAGE 1:
Q1: Years playing Neopets?
A1: 15+

Q2: Last played?
A2: Today!

Q3: What is most appealing about Neopets experience? Aspects you care about?
A3: Able to raise my Neopets, spending time with a caring community, and playing games & participating in plots & events.

PAGE 2:
Q4: Currently own NFT?
A4: No

Q5: Neopets Metaverse NFTs?
A5: I didn’t participate in the NFT sales, nor do I look to purchase one

Q6: If you participated in Neopets Metaverse NFT sales, what went well and not so well?
A6: With all do respect and honesty, nothing went well. The NFT community were rude and disrespectful to long time players, despite only selling half the NFTs (and rumor most were bought by bots) it was somehow still declared a success (meanwhile most veteran players did not participate), time and money that could have been put into the site have instead been used on this project and it has been announced will be used on future NFT projects that most of the Neopet players don't want (infact most likely couldn't even afford it), and just in general NFTs are horrible and harmful to the environment. I'll say this now and possibly later on if offered the chance: The Neopet players do not want NFTs nor this "metaverse" it comes with. Time, money, and resources should instead be focused on getting the site fully transitioned to HTML5, improving Premium & NC Mall services, and selling physical merchandise.

Q7: Played NFT games?
A7: None. But from what I've seen, NFT games (both ones to earn NFT and ones made using NFT like metaverses) aren't that good (if they even materialize) and don't last long.

PAGE 3:
Q8: Utilities for NFTs in the future?
A8: None. I do not want Neopets participating in NFTs for the reasons I stated on the previous page.

Q9: We are super bold on bringing Neopets to the blockchain. What elements of the existing game do you want to see in the Metaverse?
A9: As previously stated, inst
pikachu315111, December 30, 2021 4:00 PM NST
A9: As previously stated, instead of this NFT metaverse no Neopet player wants, we want to see the time, money, and resourced be put into the main site, transitioning all of it into HTML5 and getting much of the games & site features working again (as well as adding more and expanding upon them). You have a perfectly good website that needs working on, nothing should be spent on a NFT metaverse that might not even happen nor that many players would play (as I also previously stated, many Neopet players couldn't even afford one NFT; and no, even if they were "cheaper", most players would not want them. I cannot see this NFT metaverse having that many players). And it's not "bold" to bring Neopets to the blockchain, it's quite the opposite.

Q10: Outside the existing Neopets game, hopes and dreams for Metaverse?
A10: The existing Neopets game offers players the opportunity to create a Neopet of their choosing (Species, Gender, & Colour; as well as ways to train their Neopets to compete in the Battledome, customize them in clothing, backgrounds, and other trinkets, and participating in competitions such as Beauty Contests), have a safe place they can hang out and chat with other players, and offer fun games, features, and opportunities to improve their account, Neopets, and even themselves. So far the NFT metaverse has shown disrespect to the veteran Neopet players and the NFTs are a randomly generated select number of Species, Colours, and unmatching clothing (not to mention half of them are in a permanently sad expression!) that nothing can be done with (you're supposed to be raising a Neopet, not have an non-interactable image which has some random "value" placed upon it). The Neopet players do not want this NFT metaverse.

Q11: Questions / Wisdom for the building team?
A11: If any Neopets Staff member have been placed on the building team, they should be moved back to focusing and working on the site. I have nothing else to say aside that as I do not wish for
pikachu315111, December 30, 2021 4:01 PM NST
I have nothing else to say aside that as I do not wish for Neopets to participate in NFTs of their metaverses so do not want one to be constructed.

PAGE 4:
Q12: Who should we partner with?
A12: I would like you to partner with companies and businesses that make physical merchandise. Maybe partnering with an game programming & server services to help bring back popular games like Key Quest & Habitarium. Also maybe work with game developers to make interesting games based on Neopet's large lore, whether on consoles or apps. If you insist on the NFT metaverse, at the very least please keep in mind that, even though it has an older demographic, Neopets is still a children site. When looking at partners ask yourself "would I expose my own kids to this?"; if the answer is "no" then you shouldn't be partners. The guidelines written for players to follow on the Neoboards would also be a good list of rules to use; if any of the partners are involved with something we can't chat about on the Neoboards than, once again, you shouldn't be partners.

Q13: What projects that we can learn from?
A13: I honestly wouldn't know, but the players who run the Neopet fansite Jellyneo would likely have some suggestions. As for NFT projects, as I said, from what I've seen of them most aren't good and end up going away (if they ever materialize in the first place); I do not feel its a good market to get into as the chance of success is very low (not to mention you need the playerbase to make it work and most Neopet players aren't participating with NFTs).

PAGE 5:
Q14: Describe profession or domain expertise?
Q14: I do not see why this is important. All that should matter is that I'm a veteran Neopet player with plenty of Neopet experience.

Q15: Describe familiarity with blockchain / NFT projects?
pikachu315111, December 30, 2021 4:03 PM NST
A15: Thanks to Jellyneo and other sources such as business analysts, while I may not participate in blockchain / NFTs I have been well informed about them to know they are bad news. They aren't something Neopets should be getting involved in. Please, no more Neopet NFTs and this metaverse.

There, all done, glad I spent the time to submit this measured response that'll no doubt be thrown in the trash after reading the questions on page 2.

Since I don't want to distract from my answers, I'll respond to other's posts in different posts belows. I apologize if this looks like I'm spamming, I do not mean to and just want to get all my thoughts out there.
pikachu315111, December 30, 2021 4:08 PM NST
@ kathyob:
Yeah, I noticed the "hip" lingo too. Egh. It did give me one opportunity to give one "shot back".

@ galifan:
Hm, didn't think about that. Well too late for me, hopefully it's TNT filtering through these and will keep this confidential. As I said at the end of my post, I wouldn't be surprised if they just threw out the negative ones anyway.
milkyweaselcakes, December 30, 2021 4:20 PM NST
Thanks for the link, I gave them my honest opinion. Doubt it will make a difference. The site was a big part of my childhood, and it's sad
antimattersofa, December 30, 2021 4:27 PM NST
lol i put a bunch of links to neopet nft news articles in the link section
mavegibson, December 30, 2021 5:32 PM NST
Nothing I say or do will make any difference. These people aren't asking in good faith. Judging by what they've done so far, everything they touch will burn Neopets to the ground. I still filled out the survey, but it was a waste of time.
invader_of_worlds, December 30, 2021 6:40 PM NST
I wont give them any ideas, and they can kiss my hindquarters.
asterick, December 30, 2021 6:44 PM NST
I filled it out to make myself feel better. It's not going to do much unless TNT is seeing the replies, which I don't believe is happening. However, considering Neo's own track record, I'm anticipating it not going further than it has because Neo isn't exactly great at materializing a lot of external content and keeping it online.
lilliae, December 30, 2021 7:40 PM NST
Hiii, just curious on the Source for this link?? Was it sent via discord or email? I'm not seeing any posts about it on the Neopets Meta Twitter, but maybe i'm just not sure where to look.
kitteridge, December 30, 2021 7:44 PM NST
Does anyone else think that if they need fan ideas for partners, they haven't got a solid plan? Perhaps... not "doing their research" as they constantly accuse critics? *thinks*

Literally asking people to do their job and drop links for them doesn't strike me as professional, but of course they've proven themselves the opposite again and again.
rosi, December 30, 2021 9:02 PM NST
Ah ah well put Kitteridege
dave - JN Staff, December 30, 2021 9:28 PM NST
@lilliae: The survey link is only available if you join their Discord. (We will not be sharing that here--don't want to give them the extra attention.)
jcdiva7, December 30, 2021 9:31 PM NST
I let them have it and I chose to remain private. I'm not in the mood to deal with whiny brats.
lilliae, December 30, 2021 9:55 PM NST
@Dave
Ah, i see, thank you!!! But oof, that's super obnoxious. They *only* shared it to their little club of cringe-y crypto bros. Jee, that couldn't possibly skew the results at all.
recklesse, December 30, 2021 11:36 PM NST
Of course they only shared it with their own group. Those are the people they want to hear from, not people with no interest in their ‘project’ (apart from wanting it to die). Maybe NetDragon was hoping they could use lack of responses as an excuse to finally can the thing.
pikachu315111, December 30, 2021 11:46 PM NST
@ lilliae:
Welcome to Pyramid Schemes 101. Today's Lesson: "Customer" Retention.

To keep your "customers" coming back to potentially hand more money over in the future (and/or, in NFT's case, try to keep & increase the "value" of the NFTs until those at the top feel its time to sell off their share of them), make them feel special by reminding them of the unobtanium at the end of the rainbow (the metaverse in this case) and how they'll be directly "influencing" it.

So here, a survey where their NFT customers directly tell them what they want for the metaverse; it's totally real and your suggestions will make it so! BTW, under the table, hush hush, we might be planning on minting more NFTs before the metaverse launch so prepare to give us even more of your soul, I mean, SOL.
targoefista, December 30, 2021 11:55 PM NST
I remained as polite as possible but I try them know everything was a failure and they need to go away.
apophis324, December 31, 2021 1:00 AM NST
I may or may not have been fully honest in my replies of the survey... I was kinda Snarky. But then again, I base my opinion and knowledge on the comment sections I've skimmed through here on Jellyneo XD
jamie6254, December 31, 2021 1:24 AM NST
I had a few points in mine I wanted answered so i asked for them to respond or try to change my mind, and lets see if they ever do. If so I'll wonder how bad they'll be based off theri doxxing and stuff
pikachu315111, December 31, 2021 2:29 AM NST
The Daily Trivia Challenge is broken again, I'm pretty sure I'm putting in the correct Crabby Bot who run the Emporium but it keeps telling me I'm wrong.
pikachu315111, December 31, 2021 2:34 AM NST
Wait, I figured it out. Apparently someone has been eating too many of Bikini Bottom's favorite hamburgers.
tomatereloco, December 31, 2021 3:59 AM NST
I need help with the daily trivia. I also think I havr the right answer but not ;/
tomatereloco, December 31, 2021 4:10 AM NST
Ok figured it out. Seems one letter is miskpelled
dzufiasta, December 31, 2021 4:32 AM NST
Yeah, I have problems with trivia too
Also: I gave them my piece of mind about NFTs
your_desired_username, December 31, 2021 4:58 AM NST
Part of me thinks that any responses that smell of veteran neopets players are going to get tossed. The questions at the beginning make me think they will easily filter in those who paid and are semi-players(aka their target).

Still - it's good to get our thoughts in before they drag the brand down yet again.
mlooshka, December 31, 2021 5:32 AM NST
Really shady of them to only list the link on their own discord and only collect answers during the dead zone between xmas and new year. I just answered every question with "Go away NFT bros." They don't deserve any more of my brain cells than that.
topaz644, December 31, 2021 5:46 AM NST
Thank you tomatereloco! I never would have gotten it without your hint lol
zanzia, December 31, 2021 6:05 AM NST
I can't get the trivia either. I was never able to get the app to work and I don't see any names in any of the guide pages. =/
heaveaway05, December 31, 2021 6:18 AM NST
I need help as well
zanzia, December 31, 2021 6:41 AM NST
I was able to figure it out finally. Finally saw a page with a name + used the hint from above. Not sure how much hints we're allowed to give, but it will help to know what the building is used to access once built.
purplebin, December 31, 2021 7:43 AM NST
Is the name misspelled in the guide, or is the "correct" answer to the trivia question a misspelling? Either way, thanks for the extra hints, everyone!
woodstocki, December 31, 2021 8:49 AM NST
Oh I gave them my opinion alright.. And I'm pretty sure they won't even properly read it as soon as they gather that I am NOT a fan of their little project. But it did feel good to give them a piece of my mind. Thanks for sharing the link!
myriamele, December 31, 2021 8:57 AM NST
@pikachu315111 Your answers were awesome and I agree with everything! I hope the Metaverse team actually pays attention to the answers, but based on what we saw with the NFTs being a 'huge success', I imagine if they get 1 survey that says even 1 nice thing about them, that will be what they focus on. Meh. I just want all the stuff on the Neopets site we play on now to start working again. :/
anomally, December 31, 2021 11:20 AM NST
Just made sure that they knew that we all knew what they are really using NFTs for. I didn't curse them out or anything, but I did say that they should drop the metaverse project.
coryldork, December 31, 2021 11:22 AM NST
I wasn't polite and I don't care if they wanted politeness. They're looking for confirmation bias. They're asking for opinions so that, later, they can say "We asked, you answered, we delivered" without ever taking into account what we say. They can have fun reading up on CryptoQuest and diving into my comments on pedos and Scientologists (real Neopets history!) to see what they're truly getting into.

The bit about who they should partner with and links? I told them "Do your own research" because... wow... They really are scrabbling to try and get a grip on what Neopets even is. Why do these surveys keep asking Neopets players what they like about the site? TNT should have the metrics for which areas of the site are most active, but overall, there is a consensus on what we like to do. We aren't going to Neopets to do anything related to blockchain. If anything, it's rooted in nostalgia, and blockchain tech and NFTs are the complete opposite of nostalgia.

I second what @asterick said here: "Neo isn't exactly great at materializing a lot of external content and keeping it online."

TNT has a very clear history of not delivering on projects or keeping them online for long. Keyquest, Petpet Park, Habitarium, Treasure Keepers, Battledome, updates to the site... I feel as though some corporate shill at NetDragon has been convinced that NFTs will get them money, but it won't.
anomally, December 31, 2021 11:24 AM NST
Considering the fact that it wasn't supposed to be shared with us, no doubt our answers will be ignored, but at least we can say on the actual NP fan side that we didn't agree with Metaverse or NFTs. Only their crypto bros are doing that.
gordy_777, December 31, 2021 4:15 PM NST
I filled out the survey just for kicks. My response is probably one of the more polite ones, disagreeing with the NFT project but substituting vulgarity for sarcasm, replete with one response being that I hope they don't throw my feedback straight into the trash.

It's too bad, but at this point I don't think there's much we can do but sit on our hands and hope this Metaverse collapses under its own hubris. In the meantime, I'm glad the Advent Calendar is over so I can totally disconnect from this site for a couple months. Everything that's happened since late September has made me wish I never put any faith into the development of this site under JumpStart.
contessa, December 31, 2021 4:20 PM NST
I agree completely with pretty much all everyone is saying here, especially pikachu315111 and anomally.

I too did not get my email address or any other contact info and I gave some pretty clear responses that I do not any way, shape or form want anything to do with anything about those NFTs! Even if I could afford it, I still think it sounds like some sort of scam and could only ruin Neoepts.

I am sure I did not say anything they wanted to hear and that they will completely ignore my response, but, for all the good it will do at least I made my views known.
summerofjoy, December 31, 2021 4:27 PM NST
I filled in the survey, and I might have made it clear that I don't really like the "metaverse" and NFT crap.

On words of wisdom I wrote; Don't alienate the core-players. Oh wait...

I guess they should have asked earlier. Also noted that they should use some of the NFT money to hire people that understand customer service and PR if they are going to continue on this fool's folly.
stracer, January 1, 2022 12:15 AM NST
Well I put my opinion out there, I don't know if I made any sense or not but I tried my best to chew them out professionally. The only part I gave anything close to possibly neutral criticism was the advice section: "Get control of your community, we don't want that toxic environment to bleed over onto the site. Make a better product that doesn't involve mediocre photoshopping." Just hope my email doesn't get sent along with completing it.
queenvela, January 1, 2022 12:53 AM NST
Well I worked for a few hours writing that survey and researching more in depth about NFTs on Dec 30. My husband made me stop and go to bed, and I hoped it would still be there the next day. NYE was so busy I couldn't get to it until now and the survey was already closed! I'm gonna remind him of this situation next time he thinks he can tell me my bedtime >
Here was one point I wrote that I can at least share here.

So many players are concerned who you are and what influence you have on the original Neopets game. If you just have some license to use IP, stop promoting yourself as another virtual world (ie metaverse) that's somehow greater than the original. That's a surefire way to make everyone upset. Imagine if you were Coca-Cola and licensed some shadow company to use your brand. But instead of making something new like a tv show or clothing, they released a new soda and called it Coke Metaverse!! And to top it off it tastes terrible!! That's what you guys are doing to Neopets!!
roshchodesh, January 1, 2022 8:52 AM NST
Sadly, I think they will declare the survey a SUCCESS and state they will go forward, bold and hip, into the fog.
cseppkobold, January 1, 2022 1:55 PM NST
What a great idea to post a long, complex survey that is only accessible for two days with one of them being New Years eve when most people are offline. If you are not expecting answers why ask the questions at all
pikachu315111, January 1, 2022 1:58 PM NST
You know, I'm actually curious what some of the NFTbros submitted. What were their suggestion of partners? What do they want to be getting out of this metaverse (that they couldn't already do on the site). Because sadly what they say will very likely be what the metaverse team will be leaning (if it does hold any weight, see my "Pyramid Scheme" post above).

@ myriamele:
Thank you!

@ coryldork:
No, it got them money, a share of the 2 mil initial sell of the NFTs. None of which is going into either the main site or the metaverse, of course. Remember, it's not the one buying NFTs making out like bandits, it's the one selling them (or rather the currency you then can use to buy NFTs cause that makes it harder to track).

@ contessa:
Thank you!

@ summerofjoy:
Why spend money on customer service & PR for a cash grab?

@ queenvela:
Well apparently the higher-ups are perfectly alright with it because they're the ones who greenlit the NFT project (and profited off selling 2 mil of NFTs).
undeadfox, January 1, 2022 3:53 PM NST
i'm honestly at the point that if they actually do anything else NTF related i'm quitting for good. I have played neopets for almost it's entire time being around, but this is where im going to have to draw the line. i just cant do this anymore.
mistyraider, January 2, 2022 3:59 AM NST
@gordy__777 YES! I collected all the prizes from Advent Calendar. One of my goals is to have all the prizes in my side's gallery. Now I can go back to ignoring neo and how upset it often makes me for the awful changes JS made.
jen_aside, January 2, 2022 5:17 PM NST
Dang, I wish I saw this while the survey was open! idk what I would have responded, but in retrospect it would be funny to answer all kinds of suck-up but stupid answers (partner with the worst companies that have nothing to do with entertainment or something) and then say my profession is "unemployed"