Earn NP from playing games!
Take a tour of the entire planet of Neopia.
A searchable database of Neopets images

Final Wrap: Metaverse Sells 4,233 NFTs
  • Posted on November 15, 2021, 10:29 am NST

And that's a wrap! The Neopets Metaverse launched on the 12th at 1:00 AM NST and closed up their sales this morning (11/15), at 1:00 AM NST. At sale close, 4,233 of the 10,000 available NFTs for sale were sold at an average price of 2.057 SOL per Neopet. (As a reminder, the initial offering was going to be for 20,000 NFTs.)

Since our last post that is...

+ 236 NFTs

The Neopets Metaverse team's cryptowallet currently has a balance of 8,707.5 SOL, which is worth roughly $2,110,000 USD at time of writing (based on SOL to USD price of 1 SOL = $242.33 USD).

Here's the rate at which the NFTs were selling. Data for this graph is courtesy of Dice over at /r/Neopets!

You'll note that over 1,000 were sold seemingly before the official start date. (Four of those were sold an entire day before the sale start, leaving only 246 left to sell at the opening 1.0 SOL rate—a bit fishy!) The rest of the bulk was sold within the first hour, with very slow purchase rates for the remaining of the 3 days. 5,767 of the NFTs remained unsold and will be "burnt" (in other words, destroyed).

(Scordrax will handle the remaining NFTs!)

With the sale officially closed, the exchange of NMCs (the tokens actually being sold the past 3 days) can be redeemed for actual NFTs. And the results are coming in!

Here's what your Neopets NFT might look like (and the terminology the Metaverse team uses)...

• Breed: 1 of 10 possible Neopet species
  • Emotion 1 of 5 possible (male happy, male sad, female happy, female sad, unisex expressionless)
  • Body: 1 of 25 possible colours
  • Background: 1 of 15 possible gradient colours
  • Bodywear: 1 of 30 wearables, including "nothing"
  • Headgear: 1 of 30 wearables, including "nothing"

Below is a sample of the Neopets being minted so far. As expected, there are numerous issues with the image compilations. Here's a peek at what on average $500 gets you!

(Note the Acara is completely missing its Wraith aura, and the Xweetok's hair is not restricted as it should be.)

(The Acara was unlucky enough to get "Nothing" for both body and head gear.)

(Note the lack of zone restrictions being abided by.)

You can view all of the Neopets NFTs as they get minted on a site called Moonrank. (Note, all Neopets must be minted by November 18th, or you forfeit your chance at getting one, even if you paid for one.)

The official secondary marketplace opened up this morning at Solanart, which is where you can list your Neopet NFTs for sale for others to buy. Currently, the "floor price" (the lowest price anyone is selling them for) is 1.20 SOL, and we've seen some dips below 1.0 SOL, both of which are almost half of the average sale price. (In other words, the market is currently not supporting the official sale prices, which jives with the lack of sell out.)

Have you taken a look at Moonrank to see the NFTs being minted? Let us know the ugliest ones you find in the comments!

suzuka - JN Staff, November 15, 2021 10:34 AM NST
Ah, yes, when you get bad pushback limit your early 'affordable' (lol) group to a small number that mysteriously is mostly gone before you open and the rest is bought by bots.

~real~ impressed with how each element of how this thing unfolded made me even more disgusted.
sentehisshou, November 15, 2021 10:49 AM NST
Bodywear: 1 of 30 wearables, including "nothing"
Headgear: 1 of 30 wearables, including "nothing"

wow im actually surprised by this; i thought the examples had such weird ugly outfits just because they were pulling at random from all wearables, but it turns out they made the parameters such that all pets are guaranteed ugly. wild!

and not even a chance of an actual background... why would anyone do this if there's not even a chance at getting a cute one?????

it's also interesting to me that robot is one of the possible colors but the casings aren't in the clothing pool (as far as i can tell)
herdy - JN Staff, November 15, 2021 11:09 AM NST
Unisex expressionless is also just happy male on a robot — to artificially inflate the number of traits.
jaydeed, November 15, 2021 11:18 AM NST
They look like Neopets after Sid, the horrible boy from Toy Story, finished experimenting with them. So bad.
ducky - JN Staff, November 15, 2021 11:29 AM NST
Those chocolate jubjubs really look like they don't want to be in there....

It's amazing how many people have loose money to spend on.

Also guys. These are not bought for the love for Neo etc. These are bought in hopes to be sold for profit one day. They are bought by people who will buy any of this stuff in hopes to get rich one day.

The bubble will burst eventually.
maggma99, November 15, 2021 11:31 AM NST
Brb gonna right click all of them teehee
ilovedachshunds, November 15, 2021 11:39 AM NST
My favorite of the NFTs is NFT 2984, with the hot dog atop the Chocolate Jubjub. It's still not worth paying for, though, when I can duplicate it on Dress to Impress for free!
peppermint, November 15, 2021 11:58 AM NST
Be funny/ironic/weird if these things took the same path as every other investment I didn't buy and suddenly zip up in value. I have a stock curse in real life where I never buy and sell at the right time, and things I hear other people talking about and don't buy usually end up soaring 1000%
tpandai, November 15, 2021 12:07 PM NST
I know im preaching to the choir but the greed that motivates this industry is disgusting. Money truly is the root of all evil.
apophis324, November 15, 2021 1:17 PM NST
It can't be a coincedence there are so many sad pets among those NFT pictures. It's almost as if they feel like they're being exploited or something..
dave - JN Staff, November 15, 2021 1:31 PM NST
@maggma99: They're honestly not worth the hard drive space they'd reside on.
dave - JN Staff, November 15, 2021 1:32 PM NST
@apophis324: Only Happy + Sad is an option (with Robots being a third), so it's pretty close to half happy half sad.
elys3, November 15, 2021 1:53 PM NST
I do not have the words for how dumb this whole thing has been. They couldn't even be bothered to get the zoning right! What a cash grab scam.
dark169, November 15, 2021 2:49 PM NST
More claimed in the first minute than in the last 47 hours, 55 minutes.

I smell bots. And not the good kind of bots.
topaz644, November 15, 2021 3:50 PM NST
Any way of knowing how much of this cash JS gets to grab, providing someone doesn't run off with the wallet? lol
pasqui - JN Staff, November 15, 2021 5:08 PM NST
@topaz644 Sadly not. We don't even know if Jumpstart simply got a fixed sum at the start of this, or if they get a percentage from the sales.
topaz644, November 15, 2021 5:20 PM NST
@pasqui- figured

I'm just learning about all this stuff but it looks like at least 4 (5?) entities have their fingers stuck in this pie? *dirt pie gif*
blastoise87blue, November 15, 2021 6:06 PM NST
Definitely Cringe some of the ones I have seen posted so far.
dusk, November 15, 2021 6:56 PM NST
I kinda like the red background x wraith combos, just because the wraith parts look neat in red, even if it's an error. XD

Now I want red glowing pets, but not in NFT form.
rosiethorns88 - JN Staff, November 15, 2021 7:01 PM NST
*randomly drops by to catch up on months of news*

I wait years for TNT to release the next greatest steaming pile of dung to add to my gallery...and...

jamie6254, November 15, 2021 10:46 PM NST
I find it VERY fitting like 80% of these minted junk images are sad faced/sad *Sips tea*
swevin, November 16, 2021 1:55 AM NST
Oh! My! God! Those are so worth 500 dollars! Why did I not get one before it was too late?! Gaaaah!!!!
j/k
They look awful. People are plain stupid.
cay, November 16, 2021 2:36 AM NST
It confuses me to why they choose poorly customised pets that are crying (pets are even against it!) Meta are awful.
roshchodesh, November 16, 2021 5:20 AM NST
I feel badly that I'm glad this went poorly for them...
labtech468, November 16, 2021 8:36 AM NST
these aren't worth right-clicking -> save as
demi_, November 16, 2021 8:42 AM NST
So I have a couple of questions about what happened.

1. Did the NFTs that are being "burned" generate carbon emissions in being produced, like any other NFT? (So the majority of these created a lot of waste, literally to not even be "owned" by a person, not that they were a useful thing that could be owned anyways?)

2. What even is the point of bots buying these up? Who created the bots, and is somebody still paying money to buy them through bots? Who?
robberbaron, November 16, 2021 9:06 AM NST
So they just made $2.1 million doing functionally nothing. I don't want to live on this planet anymore...
dave - JN Staff, November 16, 2021 9:22 AM NST
@demi_: I'm unsure of the answer to #1. We've been monitoring several wallets linked to the Metaverse (a wallet is where the cryptocurrency and NFT tokens are stored), but we haven't seen the remaining 5800 or so unbought tokens. So they might not even exist and "burning" may just be a promise to not create them.

For #2, the point of bots buying them up quickly and cheaply is so that they can resell later for a profit. It's literally the exact same premise as autobuyers in Neopia--autobuyers quickly buy items sold in main Neopian shops for "cheap", so they can be resold on the TP and in auctions for lots of NP.

If the bots in this NFT sale were able to secure any of the NFTs priced at 1.0 SOL, since the secondary market is seeing sales in the 1-2 SOL range, they are making a profit on each one in the order of hundreds of dollars.
infernodragon02, November 16, 2021 9:55 AM NST
I wonder if those greedy techbros are going to be able to use their NFTs to help them sleep better at night. Oh, you can't cuddle worthless digital images. Bwahaha.

It may not have panned out exceptionally, but the company still just made a ton of money for nothing.
recklesse, November 16, 2021 12:02 PM NST
Yes, but which company? There are a bunch of ‘partners’ at different levels, and we don’t really know who is getting the majority of the cash.
minidriver, November 16, 2021 12:36 PM NST
I don't even see the point of the NFTs, or even what purpose they serve besides probably laundering money.
minidriver, November 16, 2021 12:39 PM NST
Looking at the listing of pictures that you could buy...Don't see any of my pets species out there, so Bleh.
summertwinkle, November 17, 2021 12:59 AM NST
Wow I was just learning about NFT from my workplace and knew that this crypto thing is becoming pervasive in the art world but I didn’t think it would extend to Neopets. I was confused what the article on metaverse was. I was thinking of sailor moons when I saw that term and thought it was some fictional world. Honestly I can’t say I understand what exactly is bought though like what are minted pets? But this NFT sounds a lot like the stock market and speculation with winners taking wealth from the losers.
nicobutts, November 17, 2021 5:52 AM NST
I have to laugh.
mzlish, November 17, 2021 7:30 AM NST
Thanks, of all the beautiful wearables to choose from, your NFT Neopet has a 10/10 chance of being naked plastered on a flat, basic background.
alesita_x, November 17, 2021 10:31 AM NST
At least seeing them has given me a laugh. They're so ugly!
I don't think this is the ugliest, but I find 3201 so funny looking for some reason.
place, November 17, 2021 10:39 AM NST
This might be a stupid question, but does this end the whole NFT thing for neopets? Besides the NFTs that are out in the world now and get exchanged? Or is this just the end of this batch of NFTs? I guess perhaps that last question is just a time will tell question.
dave - JN Staff, November 17, 2021 10:57 AM NST
@place: Far from it, sadly. A couple things...

1) The "minting" period (aka the period where you turn in the tokens you bought for the actual NFT Neopet image) is still running through tomorrow, 11/18 2:00 AM NST. At that time, we can officially call the initial fiasco finished.

2) There's still the Metaverse "roadmap" that exists, and Jellyneo's official position on that is it should be canceled outright. We will continue pushing Neopets and Jumpstart to do that.

3) There's a *second* project coming up in early 2022 from Quidd. They will be selling Neopets-branded "digital collectibles" at first (no NFTs), but the end goal for Quidd is to be able to convert those into NFTs at a later time.
blue_star_51, November 17, 2021 12:48 PM NST
Interestingly some of them have already been sold below 1 SOL.

Does anyone know if there was any official reaction from Neopets Metaverse about DTI's claim that the NFTs were generated using their software? I don't find it hard to believe since they were already caught once and covered it up instead of apologizing.
coira, November 18, 2021 7:26 AM NST
I laughed really hard at number 3916
apophis324, November 18, 2021 12:53 PM NST
I wonder how many people will enter their pets as an NFT customisation if there's a costume contest on Neopets next year XD
elxyopo, November 18, 2021 1:28 PM NST
I'm watching many of those NFTs being sold at less than 1 SOL. Considering SOL price fell from ~$250 to less than $200 in the past two days, that is a huge loss. That's awesome!
galifan, November 18, 2021 9:34 PM NST
I didn't realize they may have stolen the pets from DTI, in which case this could cost them even more. Go DTI!