Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
Create your own wishlists!
A searchable database of Neopets images

Metaverse Project Stumbles to Finish Line, Announces $240-$960 Price Point
  • Posted on November 5, 2021, 8:57 pm NST

UPDATE, 11/6: SOL has reached a value of 1 SOL = $250 USD! That means the price for Neopets NFTs can range from $250 up to $1,000 each! In all likelihood, the cheaper NFTs will be snatched up by autobuyers, so any supporters of the project will be stuck purchasing at highly inflated prices.

Big news late this Friday evening: the Neopets Metaverse is finally launching on November 12th at 9:00 UTC (aka 1:00 AM NST for us Neopians)—only a month behind schedule.

However, the bigger news: each NFT will sell for up to 4 SOL, which at time of writing would convert to ~$960 USD.

The number of NFTs have also been severely cut, with now only 10,500 on offer (with 500 of those being reserved for giveaways). Prior to today's announcement, there were plans for 20,500 NFTs. It's unknown exactly why the number on sale has been cut in half, but our speculation is that it's due to either production troubles or fear that they would not sell out. The Metaverse team has said a few times during the project's delay that they were encountering issues producing the NFTs. (And most of the samples they've posted have had graphical issues.)

Here is the exact pricing breakdown. It will be a race to buy the NFTs as quickly as you can, as the more that sell, the more expensive they become:

In other words, the first 250 sold will sell for 1 SOL, and then the price increases to 1.5 SOL for numbers 251 through 750. If all 10,000 sell, that will be 26,750 SOL (which at time of writing is ~$6,393,250 USD).

The sale is slightly convoluted. You must buy tokens called "NMC" and then each NMC can be used to mint one actual NFT. So, (a) convert your local currency to SOL (Solana) cryptocurrency; (b) use SOL to buy NMCs; and then (c) use your NMCs to mint NFTs.

The project was also slated to sell NMCs on the Raydium DropZone via a lottery-esque system. But instead that plan is being axed to instead use a more "bespoke" system that is on a "first come first serve basis." (Which the NFT community is concerned about, as it means bots can come and buy out the supply. In Neopian terms, it's like autobuyers buying all the good stuff when restocking.)

At this point, the changes being made to the project mean little to us Neopians, but it seems that the Metaverse team is working overtime to upset the actual NFT supporters by inflating the price and removing the promised method of fair distribution.

(Here at JN, our mouths are still agape about how much we underestimated the price on our free NFTopets!)

Will you be purchasing any of the NFTs for 4 SOL? Let us know in the comments!

REMINDER: Free NFTopets Say Goodbye
Bad news! We've decided that our free NFTopets project has run its course, and we will be shutting down our NFTopet server on Sunday, November 7th Thursday, November 18th. (We're pushing it up a bit to align with the grand finale of the Neopets Metaverse project.) That means your NFTopets will no longer be accessible, so make sure you right click and save as if you're attached to any of them. Don't worry, your NFTopets are still yours! We're just not going to show you what they look like anymore! (We're staying true to how many NFT projects run their course.)

Our anti-Neopets Metaverse landing page will remain up and accessible at jellyneo.net/nfts. We just won't be allowing the minting of new NFTopets after the 18th.

douglas399, November 5, 2021 9:05 PM NST
>Will you be purchasing any of the NFTs for 4 SOL? Let us know in the comments!

Nah, I have more important stuff to spend my money on. Example; literally anything else.

Mound of dirt. Broken furniture. A single dusty hotdog.

All of these things are more useful than an NFT.
rawrelai, November 5, 2021 9:06 PM NST
#NoNeoNFTs

NFT = 💰 ⤵️ 🗑

😪
hollyfrosty, November 5, 2021 9:07 PM NST
I almost wonder if the whole "bots can buy it out first" thing is intentional at this point. Recoup whatever losses they can from the automatic buyers, and annoy the crypto bros enough that this project can die and it can stop being a liability.
dave - JN Staff, November 5, 2021 9:07 PM NST
@douglas399: I've taken out a third and fourth mortgage on my Neohome, and I am ready to buy 1 NFT.
pikachu315111, November 5, 2021 9:20 PM NST
Geez, could they make this sound anymore like a get rich quick scheme? Overcharge the first batch of buy-ins to make as much money as possible, but then when they realize they can't do anything with the tokens the Metaverse is like "lulz, sorry no refunds, gtg".

Of course, the problem with doing this is that, while others doing such similar schemes (aka usually a few people group) usually can just vanish in the void after they think they reached their peak, well, I don't think JS & Netdragon is small enough to do that. Meanwhile, their NFT partners likely can pull the vanishing act (and with the money too) leaving JS holding the bag and a direction angry customers have to aim their ire.

Congrats JS, you just played yourself, and Fyora help us this doesn't impact the Neopets site.
i_love_latin - JN Staff, November 5, 2021 9:21 PM NST
I'm honestly delighted at the prospect of crypto fanatics getting their NFTs swiped by autobuyers. That's like...the only thing genuinely Neopian about this lol.
macosten - JN Staff, November 5, 2021 9:28 PM NST
The Cirque du Solana continues to provide the greatest entertainment for all ages, with a pricing model that, from what I understand an NFT buyer's perspective to be, seems as ancient as Neopets itself! How lovely.

I guess they're still digging with that broken shovel's handle.
diceroll123, November 5, 2021 9:29 PM NST
Oh. My pfp? My basic Blue Chia wearing a Tin Foil Hat and Censor Bar Glasses? Hah, yeah, I paid about $1000USD for it. You sound jealous.
jadedone23, November 5, 2021 10:00 PM NST
What the actual eff? I have no words.
jaudaran, November 5, 2021 10:01 PM NST
On the plus side: this made me feel WAY less guilty about wanting to buy an adorable seasonal bird figurine I don't need for $5.
nukaworldnora, November 5, 2021 10:11 PM NST
I know enough about NFTs and crypto to be fully out of this project. I'm not going to be surprised if this turned out to be a Squid Game (crypto, not Netflix show) situation at this point. Disappointed, but not surprised.
loopy, November 5, 2021 10:24 PM NST
SOL = "S" out of luck, pretty much anyone who buys these things, lol. Christmas and holidays threatened by supply chain crises everywhere, and they want people to blow a wad on these? I mean, I've bought obscene amounts of NC over the years, but yeah, this is a no from me, dawg.
neoryan2, November 5, 2021 10:32 PM NST
I've already posted my artwork about this on my FA and dA account. I'm not supporting this dung heap of an idea.
mollyscribbles, November 5, 2021 10:38 PM NST
On the one hand, the mental image of autobuyers screwing over anyone who had a legitimate interest is a nice thought. On the other, this horrible plan getting a grand total of zero sales is also a nice thought.
katina_choovanski, November 5, 2021 10:45 PM NST
LOOPY---S.O.L .

That's about the size of it too. I was thinking SO Lame. I like yours better.
mavegibson, November 5, 2021 10:47 PM NST
If all the idiots who want to invest in this garbage want to bankroll stupidity, I guess that's their right.
anime_ash2006, November 6, 2021 12:01 AM NST
Something about having to first buy a different crypto..... Coin? Token? To then purchase the neo-NFTs with seems hella sketchy. Like burying the money trail
kalianne - JN Staff, November 6, 2021 12:11 AM NST
If I had money like that to burn I sure as heck wouldn't buy.

Also, converting those dollar bill prices into my currency is just bananas with a capital B-A-N-A-N-A-S.
floop695, November 6, 2021 12:20 AM NST
If I had $960 to blow like that, and was determined to ''invest'' i'd just buy some silver (or gold if you can for that much).

It's so crazy that people are willing to drop this kind of cash on pictures they do not even own the rights to when we have real-world resources that increase in value due to being used in.... everything.

The internet has ruined us.

Note: DO NOT INVEST IN GOLD/SILVER BASED ON SOMETHING A RANDO SAYS I LITERALLY KNOW NO MORE THAN WHAT I JUST SAID
orisasda, November 6, 2021 12:34 AM NST
I have many things I’d rather spend the money on. But this has turned back into free entertainment. I’m scrolling through their Discord server right now and everyone is pissed!
robberbaron, November 6, 2021 12:41 AM NST
$240 minimum for a randomized jpeg. I hit the "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" point right then and that was before I found out they actually intend to increase the price from there. People sincerely believe they can resell these things for a profit?
apophis324, November 6, 2021 2:06 AM NST
Hah, NFTopians. Clever ^^

Let's just hope this project crashes and burns faster than, say Ghoul Catchers did, with less people affected by negative results. Oooor this will bankrupt TNT due to fines and damages. Only time will tell..
coira, November 6, 2021 2:48 AM NST
They want you to spend WHAT? $240 is a month's worth of groceries, $960 is RENT. They want me to spent groceries and rent on WHAT?
chrissy, November 6, 2021 2:59 AM NST
I have no interest whatsoever in buying these things.
swevin, November 6, 2021 3:00 AM NST
Why anyone would want that garbage is beyond me.
biediep, November 6, 2021 3:11 AM NST
LMAO 4 SOL is more than a month's rent.
I wouldn't buy any even if they were 5 cents but that is so disgusting all I can do is laugh
herdy - JN Staff, November 6, 2021 4:27 AM NST
Vandagyre day is going to be fun.
ladyamethyst, November 6, 2021 4:52 AM NST
My friends, do you have any idea how nice a piece of original comic art you could buy for $960? WHY would anyone spend it on...this?

For $960, I'd rather go to Vegas & bet it all on red - would be a better investment than this...and I'm not a gambler.
twistedlittledreamer, November 6, 2021 4:54 AM NST
holy cow, that's more per month than the mortgage on our house! I have better things to spend money on that an image I don't actually own. I don't mind buying NC, but this is ridiculous.
katina_choovanski, November 6, 2021 4:59 AM NST
The LOVE of money is the root of all evil. They sure are greedy little bas-kets
sacanth, November 6, 2021 5:26 AM NST
"Which the NFT community is concerned about..."

sucks for them.
sosoeuso, November 6, 2021 5:37 AM NST
BRUH 240 dollars is how much my sister and I pay in rent and bills per month!!
faellie_ridiculous, November 6, 2021 5:43 AM NST
sosoeuso, November 6, 2021 5:44 AM NST
also if anyone has 960 dollars free to waste it like that I'd not mind receiving it instead At least it'd go to better use like my credit card debt and getting a new phone
deedee60, November 6, 2021 5:49 AM NST
"Will you be purchasing any of the NFTs for 4 SOL?"

Absolutely not! What a waste of money. I hope nobody gets suckered into this.
topaz644, November 6, 2021 5:52 AM NST
What a conundrum...spend 700 dollars on my new laptop or 960 for a nft? Life choices are so hard.

So where do I go to on the 12th to watch the action? I want a good seat.
alphamia, November 6, 2021 5:54 AM NST
a no brainer from the start... awfully expensive for a few pixels, I wonder how many can be sold... flop flop flop
anomally, November 6, 2021 6:20 AM NST
So basically almost all of a month of a house payment for one NFT?

Yeah, that's DEFINITELY what I want to spend my money on! Give me all of the awful looking un-customizable NFTs!
bonju, November 6, 2021 6:34 AM NST
I can't see any way this won't end with a lot of people losing money and neopets closing down
roshchodesh, November 6, 2021 7:23 AM NST
What will it mean if my Aisha, right now, is painted, emoted, and dressed exactly like one of the NFTs when they're for sale?
Who implodes?
tomatereloco, November 6, 2021 7:31 AM NST
Even if they say they didn't invest TNT time on this, they have paid these companies to devop this scam, which will definitely be on loss, and that money could have been used for something more useful in Neopets.
stories2btold, November 6, 2021 8:06 AM NST
—-
The ones from Target? I just got one too
cay, November 6, 2021 8:15 AM NST
I wonder if they forgot the full stop in the prices? Otherwise, you'd need to be really rich to get them. I don't plan to buy nfts as I'm more excited for pet slots, UCs and other merch. I wonder how things will go with it though.
galifan, November 6, 2021 8:18 AM NST
If I had that much money to burn, I'd give it to a food pantry. As @tomatereloco said, they paid someone to develop the offering. JS fell for a con job, but I don't have to do likewise even if I have enjoyed playing Neo.
ummy - JN Staff, November 6, 2021 8:54 AM NST
Imagine people eager to give you millions of dollars in droves and not being competent enough to just take their money. That's what this Metaverse is. Needlessly complex in order to hide the scam that it is.
ummy - JN Staff, November 6, 2021 8:59 AM NST
It looks to me they aren't confident that these NFTs will have any resale value so they're trying to artificially create the value by continuing to up the price, so the people who bought in early "win." This also shows they don't think more than a few hundred will sell, so they've burned the goodwill of the community and took on much negative PR for just a one time tiny bump in revenue.
ummy - JN Staff, November 6, 2021 9:04 AM NST
And for people who don't think NFTs will affect the site: it already has. Hundreds of people stopping financial support like cancelling premium, stopping NC and merch purchases, and many people just up and quitting altogether. This will only worsen if they continue down this road.
suzuka - JN Staff, November 6, 2021 9:07 AM NST
For those wondering, the convoluted purchasing method is part of the 'appeal' of cryptocurrency. It's meant to evade regulators, and is widely believed to be a major force in money laundering in the modern era.
summra, November 6, 2021 9:35 AM NST
Part of me wants to be *really* snarky and have a sign by a jar at my upcoming wedding with the words "Honeymoon Fund" crossed out and replaced with "NFT Fund" (most people who will be in attendance know I am a NeoNerd and have heard my rant on this XD).
myriamele, November 6, 2021 10:10 AM NST
If I had spare cash lying around, I'd buy a ticket to a BTS concert and go see them overseas! As expensive as that would be, it would be worth way more than an NFT. (and I'm still confused enough about the whole thing to not want to try it, even if it was cheap)
contessa, November 6, 2021 10:10 AM NST
Seriously??

serpentshrine, November 6, 2021 10:11 AM NST
Who knew the only way to turn an NFTbro off a project is by making the already bloated prices even more bloated and make the market already dominated by bots even easier exploited by said bots.

Fascinating
antipopulace, November 6, 2021 10:47 AM NST
Pyramid scheme
riftclaw, November 6, 2021 10:49 AM NST
> "their NFT partners likely can pull the vanishing act (and with the money too) leaving JS holding the bag and a direction angry customers have to aim their ire"

From what I've seen of a lot of these NFT start-ups that's been exactly the plan from day one, and it's not even the first time Jumpstart has fallen for this kind of scam (thinking of overpowered). Start a partnership, half-butt distribution, close all communications and vanish. I don't expect anything better from this outfit.
liesha, November 6, 2021 11:03 AM NST
I really don't know why people want to buy a random static image that you can't do anything with especially at the high prices they are charging. When Neocash first came out I didn't want to buy anything because whatever you bought in the NC Mall was temporary and would disappear. If I'm going to spend money on anything I want to keep and be able to use it as long as I can. They later did change it so that you can keep the items you bought but even still you really don't own the items you paid for. You just get to use them. When the Habitarium and Petpetpark disappeared all the money I spent on NC items disappeared too. I haven't bought Neocash for a long time not only because of financial difficulties but because I haven't felt secure with Neopets for a long time. I think instead of investing in NFT's Neopets should be fixing the site. They would have all the money they needed if they just would make Neopets secure and fun.
abbsynthe, November 6, 2021 11:38 AM NST
yeah I'll just get some tattoos instead, thx tho!
seven_dead_owls, November 6, 2021 11:41 AM NST
Ok so I read all of this and the article about NFTs and I'm still confused or just can't wrap my head around how stupid this seems? So they want people to spend $240-960 buying fake coins to get another type of face coin so you can buy a picture on the computer that you don't own the rights to and therefore can't do anything with but look at it and you might not even be able to buy the picture because bots could snipe them or they sell enough to take their money and vanish? I can't bring myself to buy the real life merch now because I feel it's way over priced. I know there's people who buy the $150 jewlery but twice that for essentially a random jpeg file? How many average players do they think can afford this? This sounds like a way to launder money through a "kids" site and not actaully for the Neopets fan base
rozlynnwander, November 6, 2021 12:33 PM NST
I literally took years to even want to spend money on NC, even though dressing my pets makes me happy. Nothing about buying NFT would make me happy, literally a waste of money that I'd rather spend on NC items IF I spend it with neopets at all.
jaudaran, November 6, 2021 1:09 PM NST
@stories2btold YES! :o I was bad and bought THREE (the tree, plaid shirt, and sled ones). All three for...about 1/16th of the cheapest NFTs. Which one did you get?
clock_flower, November 6, 2021 1:34 PM NST
And here I thought proprietary DAWs were expensive...
With that kind of money, you could buy a ​good quality camera, or a super high-end MIDI keyboard, or
you could buy multiple DAWs, including Cubase, or
you could buy a LOT of audio equipment, or
you could buy VOCALOID5 Premium and five voicebanks, or
you could buy VOCALOID4 on the aftermarket and 3 add-on banks, or
you could buy all the original Crypton Future Media Vocaloids... the list goes on, really.
One could be totally set for audio production with all the necessary equipment for $960, or they could buy a single NFT they can do nothing with.
twood, November 6, 2021 2:00 PM NST
I'm poor
pikachu315111, November 6, 2021 3:09 PM NST
Now knowing about the autobuyer thing, I'm going to put forth my ideal scenario:

* (Bonus Step.) It launches... and doesn't work so have to delay it for a few days.
* (1.) It launches (and works) as a few NFTers buy a batch. But then after that they and other NFTers wait until the autobuyers snatch up the cheap ones.
* (2.) Except that doesn't happen, because those who set up autobuyers are likelier more astute than your average NFTer bro and knows a dead NFT when they see one. So no autobuyers bother.
* (3.) Seeing no autobuyers are snatching up the cheap deals, this makes NFTers anxious so they decide to look at other NFT and completely forget about Neopets NFT.
* (4.) A week passes, only a few have sold. JS & Netdragon upper management get angry at Solana. Solana gets offensive and calls Neopets a "dead brand". BTW this argument is over twitter cause its the only way to get in contact with Solana. NFTers see argument and vow not to buy any Neopets NFT.
* (5.) Solana cancels their deal and closes the Metaverse. A few weeks later they find a more profitable brand, makes a deal with them, and week after launching vanishes into the void.

As for what the JS & Netdragon upper management would do, well I'd hope this bad experience would make them decide to forget about NFTs but until the bubble fully bursts they'll probably try again. All we can hope they decide to take a few months break and maybe toss TNT some resources to work on the site to make it look better for their next attempt.
flamezeai, November 6, 2021 3:35 PM NST
The actual dumbest thing I've seen all day
elxyopo, November 6, 2021 4:08 PM NST
Why is so many people blaming Solana? It's a crypto project, it doesn't have so much to do with the people that's making the Neopets NFT. SOL is open-source so that people used its environment for this scheme, that doesn't make the whole Solana ecosystem bad. I even saw a comment stating JS/Netdragon and Solana would start blaming at each other for this failure as if Solana would even care if it was an actual entity, lol
dadylman, November 6, 2021 4:42 PM NST
Just wanted to thank Jellyneo for being the glue that holds this community together — thank you all.
dark169, November 6, 2021 5:05 PM NST
There's only one Metaverse for me, and it's the Persona 5 one.
darella, November 6, 2021 5:11 PM NST
"If all 10,000 sell, that will be 26,750 SOL (which at time of writing is ~$6,393,250 USD)."

...I guess they already know they won't sell all of them.
anomally, November 6, 2021 5:33 PM NST
I could literally buy all of the collectables I want right now and everything else that I'm needing at the moment and still wouldn't reach $960.

I really hope this just crashes and burns upon launch. People really need to re-think their lives if they believe that this stuff really should become main stream and they should spend a mortgage payment's worth on an image that they can't do anything with (fan art, etc.) other than keep and that they will never be able to collect all of them.

And that they are all ugly as sin combinations.
clock_flower, November 6, 2021 5:34 PM NST
It amazes and bemuses me that with $1000, you could buy 100,000 NC (which would last several years for most people) ...or between one and four NFTs. Really highlights how absurd the whole thing is.
sliced_ramen, November 6, 2021 6:31 PM NST
With $250, I'd rather buy ~1,100 chicken nuggets.
1jediboy, November 6, 2021 7:15 PM NST
^That's a lot of "buck, buck, bucks!" 🐔
shia, November 6, 2021 8:15 PM NST
Okie dokie. I'm going to be crucified but whatever. I'm the tiniest macro slim margin of the player-base crossover who is pro-NFT and also pro-Neopets. I've been on Neo for longer than I've been making money through NFTs but I realise just saying "pro-NFT" will make me a pariah so whatever I say afterwards I'm sure is just Satan speak.
I made a post on Reddit when this first kicked-off describing how this is the future of how artists are finally getting their pay and how local businesses are now starting to make their due back but all I got was downvotes and "NFT BAD". I tried describing how and why companies and celebrities are moving to non-fungibles to make money and how I was surprised that Neopets - the company that didn't allow LGBTQ+ words into their vocabulary until 2020 were now progressive enough to look at crypto and were even making moves there. But to my surprise it wasn't TNT who dropped the ball this time, they stuck to their guns and are now set to make millions, after the countless events and common-sense mishaps over the years, it was the hive-mind player base still living in 2002 digging their feet in the ground over anything that sounds like change.
The last few months have made me ashamed to be a part of the Neopets community and now you finally get the figures of what artists and creators in the community could have been making instead of bandwagon'ing about how NFTs are the single worst thing after the bubonic plague. JN Staff should be ashamed for mast heading this bull. Pretty sure my account will be altogether removed after this but the world will move on without you.
hollyfrosty, November 6, 2021 8:27 PM NST
The world won't move on AT ALL if the energy usage from crypto mining doesn't stop hastening the apocalypse. I'm nearing 30 and yet there's a good chance that I'm going to live to see a planet that is ecologically unrecognizable for a decent chunk of the globe. Yes, celebrities and companies are making a lot of money off of this, they were ALREADY MAKING MONEY. Any independent artist I've heard of is against this because most of the NFT art that sells is stolen or procedurally generated in a way where it's clear it doesn't matter beyond a visual marker of which virtual dollar bill is which. But you've heard all this before, and you've decided it doesn't matter, so I know this message is a waste of time.
terragainsborough, November 6, 2021 8:35 PM NST
I’m scrolling through their Discord server right now and everyone is pissed!

---

I was going to ask if anyone had braved going in there!
terragainsborough, November 6, 2021 8:36 PM NST
yeah I'll just get some tattoos instead, thx tho!

---

For $960 you could get an amazing tattoo!
jaudaran, November 6, 2021 8:45 PM NST
@shia I started neutral, having never heard of NFTs before. I've been absolutely willing to listen to pro-NFT people as much as to people against them this whole time, and still haven't seen a single argument that's made me think NFTs are a good thing in any way, or that's satisfyingly addressed the numerous, seemingly very reasonable arguments against NFTs. I'm totally willing to change my mind if I ever hear anything convincing. People can disagree with you, even a lot of them at once, without being a "hive mind" or whatever.
shia, November 6, 2021 8:54 PM NST
Fair enough. I know I'm not going to change anyone's minds at this point. We're all in our ways by now. I just had to say something because, Jesus, you guys aren't the only ones with opinions that matter.

Yes I agree the environmental side of mining is bad but if you're doing nothing than the average person to solve it and walking in rubber and plastic shoes then wtf are you going to change in the world with your hot opinion on NFTs?
shopnshow, November 6, 2021 8:56 PM NST
This is crazy, no way I would pay that much for a terrible image. Literally anything else would be a better investment...
stories2btold, November 6, 2021 9:12 PM NST
@jaudaran

Ikr the snowman one, but I might go back for the plaid one lol
jaudaran, November 6, 2021 9:31 PM NST
@shia I didn't say your opinion didn't matter. But if people disagree with you AND think your opinion supports something harmful, of course they're going to look negatively on it. And most people have been negative about the metaverse project in particular because it's already been harmful through bigotry, etc. A lot of the hatred towards this NFT project has been about more than NFTs for a while now.
jaudaran, November 6, 2021 9:34 PM NST
@stories2btold That one was so cute too! It was all I could do to not scoop up the whole collection. I hope they make some of these for spring and summer too, I only discovered them this fall.
katie2510, November 6, 2021 9:41 PM NST
.... people need shoes, Shaun
darktempe5t, November 6, 2021 9:46 PM NST
I swear if my kid ever charged my card 960 on a NFT..... he charged 380 on Fortnite....
tpandai, November 6, 2021 9:51 PM NST
You know, while $6mil is quite a big number (and I doubt they’re going to get anywhere close to that), I really believe that neither the site nor tnt would have ever seen a large amount of that money. This whole ordeal reeks of some higher up in nd or js trying to squeeze every penny out of neopets. In other words: There was never a universe where nfts were going to better the site.
shia, November 6, 2021 10:04 PM NST
@jaudaran The bigotry I can't defend and won't. I've only read what they've said in the debates that have been transcribed from Discord and it makes me just as angry recalling it now as I can only imagine it would have made at me on the receiving end.
I have no other opinion on hateful speech or name-calling other than it is deplorable in literally every situation. I hope everyone reading this is surely on board with that too. I know both sides are practically licking their knives at each other on the subject of NFTs rn but please cool it and please remember the human on the other side.
neoryan2, November 6, 2021 10:34 PM NST
@shia And yet, you had no problem trying to guilt-trip JN and people here for having their own opinions, as well as view us as, and I quote, "hive-mind player base still living in 2002 digging their feet in the ground over anything that sounds like change."

Look, you're free to have an opinion. If you're pro-NFT, fine, no one sensible is going to fault you, but you need to understand that we have just as much freedom to our opinions, as well. We're not forcing people who are pro-NFT to change their stances, we're only trying to inform our thoughts and concerns to people, regardless of their stance. If you go on a board and start crying about how everyone is acting like a hive-mind just because they don't agree with your stance, then you ought to expect people to call you out for it.
howdareyoufreezeme1 - JN Staff, November 6, 2021 10:36 PM NST
@shia Your jnAccount is safe no matter your opinion on NFTs

I'm personally deeply skeptical of both blockchain and digital assets beyond the theoretical, but I can understand the reasons why some feel positively about NFTs in general. However, it is hard for me to wrap my head around someone earnestly feeling optimistic about *this* project specifically.

In the beginning it was just generative images, which is lame coming from a game brand lol. They corrected that with their grandiloquent and ambitious road map, but it lacked any detail at all on timing or resources; there was no credibility that even "stage 1" would ever be reached. Then yesterday they go and announce the drop date and prices, making it quite transparent they are not interested in much beyond quickly hoarding SOL, and are not even following best practices of Solana in regards to pricing or release. With all this in mind, it is hard for me to believe that anybody who is excited for or supportive of this project has applied much critical thinking to it.

Cryptoenthusiasts often crow about DYOR---how could any diligent effort at that return a positive verdict here?
shia, November 6, 2021 10:51 PM NST
@neoryan2 I agree and I respect your stance, truly, but look at me! I'm the one person in the army of JN comments and the Neopets fanbase that has chosen to stick their neck out and tell their truth about NFTs that isn't how bad they are on this one post.

Absolutely everyone in this community seems to be #SayNoToNeoNFTs on and off-site. I'm just letting folks know that other opinions exist. I know it's rough but there are loyal Neopets fans who've been there for decades that don't believe that NFTs are the beginning of the apocalypse and it's a pretty good way for notoriously troublesome creative professions to make money and even be able to support families.
neoryan2, November 6, 2021 11:09 PM NST
@shia Then perhaps you should respectfully say your piece and leave it at that. Don't go insulting others with differing opinions, because doing so tarnishes your argument and gives the impression that you are anything but professional.

You want people to listen as you endure this uphill battle? Then you need to remain respectful and professional all throughout your thoughts. Don't blame JN or anyone for their opinions, but instead say what you need to say regarding your thoughts and stance, and leave it alone. The moment you do otherwise is the moment you lose, understand?
shia, November 6, 2021 11:23 PM NST
@neoryan2 *sigh* sure man, I'm just an NFT douche. Everything I just said you didn't want to even register. My olive branch of a discussion might as well have been farted on. Every word in my reply was just offensive. This is why building bridges is so seemingly impossible now.
neoryan2, November 6, 2021 11:34 PM NST
@shia No, it's THAT behavior you just displayed that makes building bridges seemingly impossible. I read your discussion and it did register. I don't agree with it, but I respected it. You, however, seem to think I was belittling you with my advice, and as such, ignored it by remarking just now with sarcasm and insinuation of me not understanding your stance. I was trying to help you make your case, yet you instead gave attitude and kept unprofessional.
neoryan2, November 6, 2021 11:46 PM NST
@shia THIS is why no one will stand by you. You do not act respectfully and professionally in the face of opposition.
recklesse, November 7, 2021 2:08 AM NST
Yes there are people who buy these things.

By and large they are not the same demographic that plays Neopets. I don't think the average Neopian would have adequate disposable income to squander on NFT gambling, and those who do wouldn't want to. Most of the people I've seen that are into NFTs are similar to people who play the stock market or high stakes poker.

This is a playground for the super rich or super rich wannabes who are hoping to boost the value of their chosen crypto-currency.

The project was never aimed at us Neopians in the first place. It just makes use of the Neopets IP. Unfortunately, with the way this project is structured, there is bound to be some collateral damage to the brand. Any money JS makes from this venture is highly unlikely to be invested into the Neopets site, which is another reason many players are against it.
themeepit32, November 7, 2021 4:02 AM NST
this entire thing is like a joke, sadly they JS are idiots who are not doing for the sake of neopets
labtech468, November 7, 2021 4:35 AM NST
badly executed start to finish. embarrassing!
xxhellboundxx, November 7, 2021 5:00 AM NST
Lol no thanks, it's just a jpeg.
ilovedachshunds, November 7, 2021 8:48 AM NST
The art assets for the Neopets NFTs were stolen from Dress to Impress. What a great way to support artists...
veinslicer, November 7, 2021 9:10 AM NST

I can't stop laughing at the price.
Pixels , you don't REALLY own , for that amount of money. Those pixels better be coming to life and cleaning my house and washing my Jeep for that amount of money. All the reasons to NOT buy NFTs and then those prices.
And, yes, whoever it was that said a better investment is silver and gold, you are very correct there.
apophis324, November 7, 2021 9:13 AM NST
Just waiting for this all to backfire..

Sad to see my free NFT go. It was an actually pretty nicely dressed Vandagyre!
sweetadeline, November 7, 2021 9:22 AM NST
@shia

There is no reason for this, and it's harmful to the world. Sorry that I care more about the planet than your new money making scheme that you and other selfish people have discovered. Enjoy getting scammed and continue to think you're so above us as you spend money on mostly stolen art!
dave - JN Staff, November 7, 2021 9:56 AM NST
@shia:

> for notoriously troublesome creative professions to make money and even be able to support families.

You keep bringing up this argument about how NFTs are great for artists or small businesses to make money.

Neopets is neither a singular artist, nor a small business. They're an international company that makes several million dollars per year in revenue already. They're using recycled art assets to create random pieces to sell for exorbitant prices.

I'm not really sure how your argument about NFTs being a good thing applies to Neopets.
clock_flower, November 7, 2021 10:02 AM NST
@apophis324
Is it too late for you to right-click and save it? If it isn't you don't have to say goodbye (I did that for all the ones I generated)
sentehisshou, November 7, 2021 10:06 AM NST
there aren't any artists making money off of these NFTs, though.
the artists who designed the pets originally, who drew the art that's being used in promo pics, who redrew the pets for conversion, the artists who designed the pet colors, the artists who designed the clothes - none of these people are involved with this project.
the fans who collected and documented neopets assets to put on DTI, whose labor this project is profiting off of, are also not involved with this project.
no artists are credited on the metaverse website. no artists are listed on the metaverse website. no artists of any kind seem to be involved with this project on any level - all the art i've seen on the metaverse website and twitter are pre-existing images made by past artist employees of neopets.
the neopets team, which includes all artists who do work on the neopets website, have stated that they're not involved in the development of this project.

"this benefits artists" isn't applicable here. i'm not sure why anyone would think it is. the profits from this are going to companies, not artists, and there's been nothing in any press releases by the metaverse or tnt to indicate that any artists from neopets will be compensated in any way for their labor that made this project possible.
clock_flower, November 7, 2021 10:13 AM NST
@sweetadeline
The way you phrased that was quite inflammatory and even hurtful, please try to keep it civil. Otherwise you're kind of proving shia's point about forgetting about "the human on the other side". If I were in shia's place I would feel very hurt by that, and before you say "good", think about if someone had said something like that to you and how you would feel. Remember, all people are worthy of basic decency
apophis324, November 7, 2021 12:30 PM NST
@clock_flower:
I wasn't sure if I wanted to save it.. but what harm can it do to keep it as a memento, right? Thanks for the tip~!
Also.. All people are worthy of basic decency? All people? Nah. Everyone has their kind of people that don't deserve basic decency in their eyes. Other than that I totally agree with you
sosoeuso, November 7, 2021 3:01 PM NST
whoever says that NFTs benefits artists are delirious. Sometimes artists are paid for artwork that becomes NFTs, but many a time they are straight up stolen from the artist by sketchy companies with their stupid pyramid schemes. Why do you think places like dA have implemented art theft scanners?
topaz644, November 7, 2021 3:54 PM NST
Will the neometa page have some kind of real time countdown to show how many have sold, how many left?

I'd love to see how fast those bots pick off the crop. lol
charybdis7, November 7, 2021 3:59 PM NST
Literally there are several movements backed by artists who have gotten screwed over by nfts trying to get rid of nfts. It's not just delusional thinking nfts are in any way positive for artists, it's just propaganda. It's attempted gaslighting and trolling for the sake of bringing in more nft supporters.
themeepit32, November 7, 2021 7:24 PM NST
I sure hope this project crashes and burns like it should
themeepit32, November 7, 2021 7:29 PM NST
so guys what were some of these other horrid cash grabs?
infernodragon02, November 7, 2021 7:36 PM NST
lolol how can anyone pretend that is not a scam
punk_hottie_666, November 7, 2021 8:27 PM NST
I still don't understand the point. Like I get you buy crypto to buy whatever they are selling but is it worth it? Like what am I supposed to do with it after I purchase it? It just doesn't seem like a good investment.
winterland, November 7, 2021 8:50 PM NST
It would be fun if people auto buy them and then no one wants them xD.
Im kinda curious tho, how many of those will really get sold?
cheetah, November 7, 2021 9:45 PM NST
I'll admit this circus is entertaining, I just wish they'd pitched their tent somewhere else. (and that our planet wasn't on fire. and that we didn't live in a capitalist hellscape. but I guess there's no comedy without tragedy.)
jen_aside, November 7, 2021 11:46 PM NST
Best response I've seen is "NFTs? More like No F*ing Thanks"
serpentshrine, November 8, 2021 12:44 AM NST
I love it when pro NFT people loudly make their opinion known, flaunt how controversial they are, then opt to keep saying "woe is meeee" when the opposition try to give them the polite and honest discussion they seem to really want

If I had a nickel for Everytime I've seen that, I'd have 2 dollars, which isn't a lot but still weird it's happened multiple times.
david1234543, November 8, 2021 3:45 AM NST
This has disaster written all over it, what the hell were the Neopets team thinking partnering up with a company as shady looking as this.

I mean is anyone here actually going to pay up to $900 for a picture of a Neopet that you can never really own/claim ownership too or make any investment from it. Also any one is free to copy and post it anytime they want.

I mean I could almost at a stretch get on board if once the NFT was purchased, I then owed the copyright/publishing rights.

They really need to finish converting the main site before embarking on some half assed silly attempt to try and make some quick cash.
minidriver, November 8, 2021 5:19 AM NST
Honestly all these NFTs sound like yet another way to launder money.
sosoeuso, November 8, 2021 6:17 AM NST
@minidriver that's pretty much it yes, crypto has such a big deal with money being laundered and taxes being evaded, the American IRS is writing up new regulation that makes it so you have to declare your crypto assets and can't make them anonymized and guess what? These NFT losers are all whining and making a stink on Twitter
maralinn, November 8, 2021 6:57 AM NST
I see that EVE Online minted NFTs and *gave* them to players who made kill during last weekend's tournament. Seems like a much more player-friendly scheme.

surferboard_girl, November 8, 2021 9:37 AM NST
Here for the comments and man, y'all did not disappoint. Bless.

But also: this is absolutely indicative of a larger, systemic issue wherein people who already have resources and money are making more, and getting away with not having to pay back into their communities (on top of the tax loopholes and safe havens that currently exist). This is so detrimental to communities, not only environmentally (but yes, absolutely!), but also in terms of essentially robbing them of tax payer dollars. The selfishness and extraction mentality here is actually really terrifying and worrisome to me.

Also firmly agree with everything @sentehisshou said re: artists: it's not actually helping smaller/independent artists. It's actually exacerbating the gap.

All of this just screams to me that people just...don't care about each other. Like there's so much wealth and resources out there that should be redistributed but instead of doing that, we're doing whatever all of *this* is and like??? PORQUE?! This is convoluted and complicated and absolutely impacting the planet in negative ways and allowing people who already don't have to worry about paying their bills to accumulate more wealth.

Also just give me a website that works? Give me a decent mobile version of this website that doesn't make me want to throw my phone? Do literally ANY OF THE THINGS the user base has clearly communicated about over the last few years? People will literally do anything but listen to the feedback they've received.
ilovedachshunds, November 8, 2021 10:19 AM NST
"Redistribution of wealth" So people who don't work (out of choice) should get free items? Imagine this in Neopian terms. You save up every Neopoint, and spend hours restocking, over the course of a few months to get a Super Attack Pea. You buy it and give it to your battle pet, feeling a sense of accomplishment. A day later, TNT takes your Super Attack Pea from you and gives it to someone who hasn't tried to save up Neopoints. I, for one, would not be happy.

(I'm still anti-NFT, btw)
apophis324, November 8, 2021 11:37 AM NST
@surferboard_girl: Yeah, especially the Healing Springs one! All those people who haven't been able to get a treatment due to covid patients filling hospital beds could all get their free snowballs there! I mean get their free possible treatment there!
jaudaran, November 8, 2021 12:59 PM NST
Sorry to get worked up about this, but it's a little personal.
topaz644, November 8, 2021 1:30 PM NST
Enough...stay on topic please
topaz644, November 8, 2021 2:51 PM NST
Why does the Neometa discord server need my phone number? I don't wanna post, just lurk.

(I need to change what I'm reading before I jump in)
dave - JN Staff, November 8, 2021 3:06 PM NST
Just a reminder: please stay on topic, and Neoboard-friendly.

We've removed comments above that started veering off into real-world topics, and will continue to moderate as needed.
jaudaran, November 8, 2021 3:11 PM NST
@surferboard_girl Thank you, and I agree. Kind of regret jumping in, since I'm not very good at making my point eloquently and I guess it wasn't really an appropriate topic here, but oh well. I appreciate what you said.

@topaz644 They want your phone number?? That seems very weird. Is that standard for discord servers?

@Dave Sorry for contributing to the off-topic stuff, I'll try to keep that in mind and refrain in the future.
topaz644, November 8, 2021 3:22 PM NST
Jaudaran- one needs to be verified 'human' on discord, which I did with captchas and email verify, but that doesn't seem to be working in the neometa server. or it's not enough? don't know...
topaz644, November 8, 2021 3:24 PM NST
It seems there are different levels of verification on discord, depending on which server you want to interact with. and the neometa one seems like a hard one. go figure lol
ilovedachshunds, November 8, 2021 3:44 PM NST
I find it kind of odd that these comments are supposed to be "Neoboard friendly," all while comments containing bad language and abbreviations for bad language have not been removed. I know that there are plenty of communities out there that do not mind if people swear, but this comments section claims to be "Neoboard-friendly."
topaz644, November 8, 2021 3:55 PM NST
There is neo board friendly, which means neo related.

And frankly, there is quite a bit of cussing that gets by the neo monitors lately.

I can swear like a pirate if needs be, but don't do it on Neo or Neo fan sites.
ilovedachshunds, November 8, 2021 4:06 PM NST
I admit that I was off topic. I have dropped the previous conversation because the moderator (Dave) stepped in and asked for it to stop.

I was just confused about why a "Neoboard-friendly" comments section is allowing people to swear.
surferboard_girl, November 8, 2021 4:11 PM NST
@Dave - Absolutely fair and sorry for getting so off topic. Will keep it much closer to home in the future!
dave - JN Staff, November 8, 2021 4:21 PM NST
@ilovedachshunds: We allow a *little* leeway in regards to the Neoboard-friendly rule. "Hell" and "damn" are allowed on the Neoboards as far as I'm aware (within reason). Acronyms are starting to push the line.

You and surferboard_girl simply went far over the line with the topic.
ilovedachshunds, November 8, 2021 4:26 PM NST
I will remember this for the future. If you look at the comments left here, you will see that there are some words and acronyms that may have crossed the line.
topaz644, November 8, 2021 5:00 PM NST
@ilovedachshunds, -Why is it you want to remember bad stuff for YOUR future? Would it not be better to imagine your future as a good thing?

I and others, wish you a good future.
ilovedachshunds, November 8, 2021 5:02 PM NST
So I don't repeat the same mistake again.
pikachu315111, November 8, 2021 5:08 PM NST
SO, bringing the topic back onto NFTs. I watch Youtube and one of the channels I'm subscribed to is The Jimquisition. And today she uploaded a video about NFTs which I feel is appropriate! And, yeah, she pretty has the same opinion as most of us about them being bad as well as giving her own thoughts on things they represent (notably their effect on the gaming market as that's the focus of The Jimquisition). And if it hasn't already been addressed enough, it argues against the points shia has made about the "benefits" of NFTs.

However, there is a slight problem that Sterling isn't quite Neopet-appropriate as she curses a lot (and doesn't shy away from deeper topics). So, this is what I'm gonna do, I'm just gonna post the link at the bottom of this post. JN mods, if you don't feel the video is appropriate, feel free to delete the link.

topaz644, November 8, 2021 5:09 PM NST
lol We all repeat, but most learn.
charybdis7, November 8, 2021 9:35 PM NST
@Pikachu315111: I saw Sterling's vid too, love their stuff ^u^ (they/them, not exclusively she/her as far as i'm aware, just a headsup).
And yeah, there's a point here where 'opinion' is actually fact. It's not just the opinion of the vast majority of neo-users and anyone with even a single functioning braincell that nfts = bad. it's been proven fact, time and time again. Nfts are more of a symptom of a larger problem of who holds power and how it's abused.
... but ye, this whole thing is cartoonish-levels of ridiculous.
snudycaisu, November 9, 2021 6:38 AM NST
not a chance! I will not be buying any NFTs or any additional pet slots
coryldork, November 10, 2021 7:36 AM NST
250USD is over 300CAD, so of course I'm not going to spend 3 months' worth of grocery money on a crap project like this. I feel no sympathy for the NFT crowd about the prices. What did they expect? That the prices would only be inflated *after* they're the ones who buy the NFTs, so they can get the profit instead of the Neopets Metaverse folk? Hahahaha.
pikachu315111, November 11, 2021 12:46 AM NST
@ charybdis7:
Whoops, I thought that since they've changed their name to a more feminine one that they also switched over to feminine pronouns. My bad.
honekaneka, November 11, 2021 9:35 PM NST
I don't know who had this idea, but I'd like to tell this person I just wanna play neopets minigames properly since flash player is not supported anymore!! I have zero interest in going to another website and spending real money on something else, specially NFTs!!!