Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Discover the characters of Neopia in our Book of Ages!
Help us model your pets!

Neopets Metaverse Team Calls Neopians a Bunch of "Hateoooors"
  • Posted on October 10, 2021, 10:11 am NST

UPDATE, 4:45 PM NST: An apology has been posted by the Neopets Metaverse team. In it, they apologize for their earlier tweet that used "imagery generally known by net users to be hateful."

Kudos to that. But notably absent was an apology for calling the Neopets community dumb and in need of education.

(As of writing, there also hasn't been any apologies for the other scandals from their team, which you can read about at jellyneo.net/nfts.)

UPDATE, 11:30 AM NST: The tweet below has been deleted! The sentiment by the Neopets Metaverse team, sadly, has not.

You can read the full Twitter thread on the WayBackMachine—the internet does not forget!

Turns out the internet does forget, as the WayBackMachine link above was somehow removed. Never fear, you can read the original here on Jellyneo (1.6 MB screenshot).

A Twitter thread (17 individual tweets) posted this morning to the @NeopetsMeta Twitter feed is attempting to educate all of the "hateoooors" who do not understand NFTs.

Pictured: Us Neopians

We won't mince words here: this sort of trash is downright patronizing and is taking the Neopets brand straight into the rubbish dump. It alienates the existing user base by belittling us—we know exactly what NFTs are, and we don't want them. This is not how you build support for a project facing uphill adversity.

One of the continuing themes we've seen in the Neopets Metaverse community is that all of us Neopians are just "dumb haters" that don't understand NFTs and how NFTs will save the Neopets brand. The official tweet above from the Neopets Metaverse team reinforces these ideas. Here's a sampling of what the NFT community thinks about Neopets users from the Neopets Metaverse Discord community:

... Yes, we are a "culprit," and we're proud to be doing it!

UPDATE: Moderator J0hn (who works for the Neopets Metaverse team), had some sassy remarks for Jellyneo's very own Herdy after it was pointed out that the tweet above wasn't building any bridges:

Very professional, J0hn! When another Neopian asked for answers on the roadmap (read about the roadmap here), the sass came back out again:

Are you a hateoooor that needs education? Let us know in the comments? (Also let us know how closely you resemble that portrait of the Neopian NFT hateoooor!)

And if you haven't already, read all about the Neopets Metaverse project at jellyneo.net/nfts. You'll see even more unnerving history about this project, along with several ways you can voice your opinion to Neopets and JumpStart! (We even have adoptable "NFTopets" that you can generate for free—no blockchain involved!)

bonju, October 10, 2021 10:23 AM NST
What timeline is this
macosten - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 10:23 AM NST
Remember: when the shovel breaks, you can always keep digging with the handle.
recklesse, October 10, 2021 10:24 AM NST
What tiny, tiny, little cowards.
sliced_ramen, October 10, 2021 10:25 AM NST
I want to get off Mr. NeoNFTs Wild Ride

Like seriously, someone is getting paid to do this
veinslicer, October 10, 2021 10:28 AM NST
I know exactly what an NFT is. I have been vaccinated, and know why I did that , and what it was for. I am also aware of all the other vaccines I have gotten and why. I am also aware of what 5G is and does, and wish I had it where I moved! -_- However, I see NO REASON of some *shady* outside group to collaborate with Neopets, especially one that isn't in line with what Neopets stands for, this is our refuge from the terribleness that is most of the internet now days. If they would finish the site and get us our games, plots and events back there would be no need for extra cash. The site traffic is down like I crazy I would assume ( because I have not seen any numbers, this is based off my family and friends only ) since we don't have any of our activities that KEEP us on the site and REFRESHING those pages! This just all makes me want to cry that it is even happening. I just want the site switched over and our stuff back.
scraleos, October 10, 2021 10:29 AM NST
Forgive me for not knowing, but is Neopets Meta an official source or a fan source? That is a really cringe meme regardless lmoa. NFTs are not gonna save Neo. Hard work and time will save Neo.
bonju, October 10, 2021 10:31 AM NST
I'm sorry but I just find it so funny when they "make fun" of people right clicking and saving images. Why do they get so mad
pigfish99, October 10, 2021 10:31 AM NST
jesus chrystler jeep grand cherokee. these idiots are so detached from reality.
recklesse, October 10, 2021 10:34 AM NST
@scraleos,
Neopets Metaverse is a 'partnership' between JumpStart, and two companies in Hong Kong they call 'partner advisors'. They are the group in charge of managing the creation and release of the Neopet NFT's we are all protesting against.

I guess that makes it official.

For more information read the Jellyneo link at the top of the page and Herdy's excellent petpage coverage on www.neopets.com/~Scroggs (sp?).
currington, October 10, 2021 10:34 AM NST
I am so educated now. I was so dumb before /s
veinslicer, October 10, 2021 10:35 AM NST
pigfish99 ~ thank you for this I needed a laugh and I will be using it from now on ... jesus chrystler jeep grand cherokee
tpandai, October 10, 2021 10:35 AM NST
Why hasn’t the site been updated? TNT is too busy putting out the fires this project keeps starting.
tyuio_k50, October 10, 2021 10:36 AM NST
Complete Reddit moment, lol
recklesse, October 10, 2021 10:36 AM NST
They are rattled and they are worried our 'interference' will devalue their Sol currency.
shandaman777, October 10, 2021 10:39 AM NST
How embarrassing for them
dadylman, October 10, 2021 10:40 AM NST
I think what gets me the most is that the "NFT Hateoooor" meme tries to come across as superior but instead shows how a complete lack of self-awareness. Also, can someone let me know how to bank the $8 trillion worth in saved JPEGs off my computer? I promise I'll split it.
dadylman, October 10, 2021 10:41 AM NST
shows a complete lack*
dave - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 10:41 AM NST
@scraleos: @NeopetsMeta on Twitter is official. If you ask them, it's owned and led by TNT.

It's clearly not, but they like to keep lying about that. Regardless, the account represents an official business contract with JumpStart, so it therefore is officially representing Neopets.
tyuio_k50, October 10, 2021 10:47 AM NST
Everyday my indecision as to if whether these people are literal children or just obscenely out of touch adults grows further.

This is so embarrassing, the situation aside. You don't present yourself as fragile or have a complete meltdown when you're so confident in not only your way, but your seemingly professional/totally legit and trustworthy transaction driven business.

And then the choice of image alone. Way to tell us a lot about the circles they run in without telling us. That they think it's acceptable to toss any of this up on your brand/project's official account.
ummy - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 10:48 AM NST
Seeing the Neopets logo on their posts fills me with rage
ummy - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 10:51 AM NST
It shows the critical thinking ability the other company has that when faced with a well formed argument, their public response is to insult their opponent and then accuse dissenters as anti-vaxxers.
tyuio_k50, October 10, 2021 10:54 AM NST

---

Just an addendum, I know the style of image is a meme or whatever. But using it to depict your "audience", on your official (allegedly professional) social media account, on your alleged "education" tweet, is... worth many words. Especially when you examine what types of people use these images unironically.

JS's lack of discernment when choosing business partners is disturbingly consistent, that's for sure.
vampyraya, October 10, 2021 10:55 AM NST
Well, at least I guess that means, this weekend has made an impact.
dave - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 11:00 AM NST
@vampyraya: Indeed it has!
treasure, October 10, 2021 11:01 AM NST
I’d be insulted, but frankly, this is too hilariously stupid for me to be offended by it!
Of course we know what NFTs are - that’s *why* we’re opposed to them LOL!
bumblebee856309, October 10, 2021 11:02 AM NST
You've got to laugh at that original Metaverse post really, because it's exactly what you'd expect to come from a hormonal 12 year old!! You can see what sort of people are running this with regards to the Twitter content they are uploading that is blatantly trolling and stoking hate towards Neopets user base. The fact that everyone on Neopets needs to be 'educated' (because we clearly don't have 2 brain cells to rub together) is just a typical response from the new-age lefty-woke brigade. I bet the responses are from people who are late teen child geniuses who know everything about everything but in reality they need to get out more from their bedrooms, get some friends and get a new perspective on reality. Honestly, anyone reading this, just laugh at it, it's hilarious. Don't take their mocking tones seriously. It's people power that will prevail in the end...!
ummy - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 11:02 AM NST
Well, at least I guess that means, this weekend has made an impact
---
Indeed. If we keep pressing eventually they will cross a line and dig their own grave.
antimattersofa, October 10, 2021 11:03 AM NST
the way they just ignore the environment-
and whats wrong with saving images? like I find this cool cat picture, and apparently the NFT 'community' hates me for screenshotting it? Lol okay
ummy - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 11:05 AM NST
---
If this continues with no intervention from JS it shows not only do they condone this behavior, but that Neopets haters is their true desired target audience. That they would let a toxic project desecrate their IP for a quick buck.
treasure, October 10, 2021 11:06 AM NST
Why do I feel like the drawing better illustrates the author of the post - a salty, middle-aged white guy?
melody5697, October 10, 2021 11:08 AM NST
@bumblebee856309 I'm pretty sure the "lefty-woke brigade" isn't homophobic.
lupe691, October 10, 2021 11:11 AM NST
Thank you, JN, for being the leaders of us dumb haters lol. I cancelled premium but unfortunately I just bought a year during the sale :/ Whatever protests you guys plan, I'm with you.
I think this whole NFT scheme will ultimately fail, but it will probably take Neopets as a whole down with it.
bumblebee856309, October 10, 2021 11:15 AM NST

---
There is no such thing as a loyal user base anymore. Target audience now has to be 'slightly' passive aggressive and woke. Nothing wrong with being woke, until those people start aggressively pushing their ideals on others and their opinions are 'obviously' far more important than the ones from the little people sitting at their laptops just doing their own thing on a website they love and have probably used for years. None of that matters anymore nowadays and that's really sad.
herdy - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 11:18 AM NST
Just to be clear this is an officially branded Neopets account. Until TNT say something, *this* is the official Neopets brand position following the blackout.
Their response: You guys are idiots.
*That* is what Neopets is now saying to its own users.
tangamandapiano, October 10, 2021 11:20 AM NST
I have never seen someone try so hard to push their community away. I mean, it makes sense, seeing what they've beeen doing recently.

• Remember what they said about the LGBTQIA+ changes they'd make? This was ages ago and they did nothing.
• They waited until the last second to start converting the site to HTML5 and they're not even 1% done.
• The site is impossible to navigate without the proper knowledge.
• They shoved the mobile conversion down our throats without asking questions.
• TWR fiasco (10 months long plot lol)
• UCs + Pet Slots fiasco (We'll give it to you, please don't leave the site! When? Uhhhh that's another story!)
• Charity Corner 2020 fiasco (how did they screw that up so badly?)
• Charity Corner 2014 Return glitch
• NFTs

And now this - INSULTING the community.
bumblebee856309, October 10, 2021 11:20 AM NST
melody5697 - absolutely not homophobic. I apologise if that's how you took it. What I mean by lefty-woke brigade are the people who seem to push their ideas and opinions aggressively onto others, and freak out when someone challenges their views. The metaverse crew are very thin skinned with how the NFT argument has progressed over the past few days.
bumblebee856309, October 10, 2021 11:23 AM NST
melody5697 - (Continue) What the metaverse crew did regards not removing that harmful content when it was originally posted and sitting on their hands for a while, while people took issue with it was very wrong and they should take a good long hard look at themselves for basically condoning that behaviour. It's not right at all.
ummy - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 11:29 AM NST
They didn't just ignore the complaints, they actively mocked them by banning the word gay.
melody5697, October 10, 2021 11:29 AM NST
@bumblebee856309 But that's not what it means to be left-leaning or woke. Those are just traits that some people on the left have but that are absolutely NOT unique to the woke left. The Neopets Metaverse people are definitely NOT woke. You didn't offend me. You're just using the wrong words to describe them.
tangamandapiano, October 10, 2021 11:30 AM NST
Lol they deleted the tweet
rishloo, October 10, 2021 11:32 AM NST
Oh, they did NOT just compare me to an antivaxxer! WTH?
bumblebee856309, October 10, 2021 11:32 AM NST
ummy - JN Staff - you see what sort of people are running this site, they are insane. I've just read the update on the homepage and the moderator being a (insert word/phrase) just proves it. They are loving the comebacks.
bumblebee856309, October 10, 2021 11:36 AM NST
melody5697 - Yeah I know what you mean but with regards to a new target base anything goes nowadays...
send_dis_pear, October 10, 2021 11:45 AM NST
@dadylman step 1: print jpegs. step 2: go to bank. step 3: cash in jpegs like money in ATM. step 4: keep the money for that comment alone because you are awesome

to TNT and the metaverse tho, I feel....pretty appalled to be honest LOL
these people are far from professional and are pushing away the fans they were supposed to attract. please TNT, fire them before it gets any worse, its clear that theyre not mature enough to have adult conversations with anyone here.
oh yeah, and big surprise, we look nothing like the photo. us neopians know how to be in style! youve seen how we customize our 'pets, right? or were yall too busy in the metaverse stealing and milking fan assets?
clock_flower, October 10, 2021 11:46 AM NST
If we keep pressing eventually they will cross a line and dig their own grave.
----
But what line would that be? Would it be making such complete and utter jackdonkeys of themselves that JS is embarrassed to be associated with them, or would it be more along the lines of "trying to take action" and torching the site? How far will they go? It's pretty scary to think about, and I just pray it doesn't reach that point.
Does continuing to join in the protest mean giving up the site? because I miss my babies and I don't want them to starve. Or are there other ways to help out too that don't involve ditching the site?
terrih, October 10, 2021 11:47 AM NST
Hmmm. I look more like a "Karen" than a bearded no neck. However - I do believe in vaccines and know what 5G is; and while I'm not one to melt down in public I do not appreciate being condescended to, nor patronized. I won't be shamed into spending good money for crap.
zaitoutau, October 10, 2021 11:50 AM NST
Boy they really decided they needed to do damage control but forgot the control part of the equation huh? Neato.
tyuio_k50, October 10, 2021 11:57 AM NST
@nobody

ik it's probably not your intention, but don't personally contact or dox anyone involved with this project. That's no good. There are official support emails and accounts ppl should communicate with
nobody, October 10, 2021 11:59 AM NST
us neopians know how to be in style! youve seen how we customize
---

I learned fashion from Gaia Online and Neopets. I'm fyora darn fabulous and my #aesthetic is on point.
tyuio_k50, October 10, 2021 12:00 PM NST
(^message above is for anyone that might have read it that way btw)
mavegibson, October 10, 2021 12:00 PM NST
@bumblebee856309 - Based on their apparent values, interests and aesthetics, it's highly likely they're a bunch of right wing incel neckbeards. Nothing 'left' or 'woke' about them.

@tangamandapiano - You forgot about the AC this year, too. Don't leave that dumpster fire out! hehe

@clock_flower - I have been going through withdrawal but I'm absolutely ready for it.

I normally spend at least an hour on the site every day. I haven't logged in since the start of the blackout. I will not be logging on until TNT comes up with an acceptable response. As hard as that has been, it's time to move on if this is the kind of BS we're expected to suck up as devoted 20+ year Neopians.

As for my pets, they're all in the hotel. If this goes beyond a month, well... that will mean the situation is beyond redeeming and that's something I think we all need to be prepared for.
nobody, October 10, 2021 12:01 PM NST
@tyuio_k50
No, absolutely not, doxing is abhorent!!! Contacting through listed avenues isn't something I'd find anything wrong with. They have professional contacts on their pages for a reason.
nymbra, October 10, 2021 12:03 PM NST
well! if we don't see any change from this i guess i'll be switching to another pet site 🙃
mavegibson, October 10, 2021 12:04 PM NST
@veinslicer - Well said. I mean, it's quite bizarre to see these people characterizing us as conspiracy theorists or something, especially when the whole NFT thing is on-brand for that whole scene. I'm fully vaxxed, I base my views on verifiable evidence, etc. But I guess that's all they have left, is just to smear us because the reality is, we are correct about them.
jessalynn, October 10, 2021 12:14 PM NST
Something tells me we'll be protesting for weeks or maybe months...
lucy_haha, October 10, 2021 12:16 PM NST
In case you guys didn't know it, Hong Kong seems to have started a trend in promoting NFTs. And as HK is such a special place, it is so far still very legal of any company to promote crptocurrency here.
jessalynn, October 10, 2021 12:20 PM NST
@nymbra: Don't to Animal Jam.
nymbra, October 10, 2021 12:20 PM NST
It's awful because I want to support Hong Kong, especially after the results of their protesting... but I simply can't support NFTs
your_desired_username, October 10, 2021 12:26 PM NST
You know what's sad? All TNT had to do was UPKEEP THE SITE and the majority of our anger would of been kept as a displeasing groan.

Instead we have the company, JS, just standing around thinking this is all fine.
nymbra, October 10, 2021 12:26 PM NST
@jessalynn Bahaha definitely not Animal Jam. They don't like me they banned me because a younger me thought it was hilarious to hack.
pikachu315111, October 10, 2021 12:27 PM NST
Wow, this is exactly following in the behavior of scammers who are trying to get their scheme off the ground.

* At first when opposition rise up they try being passive aggressive. Just saying "oh, well these people aren't the ones we're doing this for" and "they don't know what they're talking about".

* They then try to ignore it, keeping the little community that has fallen for it in a little community. If they're partnered with a bigger corporation, they'll have the bigger corporation try acting as their mouthpiece assuring this is all "official" and on the up-and-up. This is either because the corporation is totally okay with the scam and just want money (the big wigs forcing someone under them to make the announcement and take the bullet) or they don't know know and will be totally surprised when the "partner" runs off with the money. Or both!

* When that doesn't work and the opposition becomes larger and making more people aware, they start doing this. Going from passive aggressive to straight-up aggressive. And it's never mature or elegant, it's always childish; usually via internet memes. The above image there is implying anyone against NFT (aka all of us) are neckbeards. Yeah, if your counterargument to complaints is internet memes than you're on the wrong side of history.

Heck, who knows, is Solana keeps showing this much hostility toward the Neopians it MIGHT pressure JS to go "you know what, they keep kicking the hornets nest, let's end our partnership"... though they'll probably then just find another blockchain company cause they still want to do the NFTpets.
currington, October 10, 2021 12:27 PM NST
I am a Hong Konger and I haven't heard of this trend of promoting NFTs.
lucy_haha, October 10, 2021 12:30 PM NST
You're not aware of this trend because it's still relatively new. But I swear they're promoting it real hard.
ummy - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 12:32 PM NST
---
I'm sure more respectful companies must exist so the fact that they went with one that is openly against Neopets and everything it stands for is inexcusable.
rishloo, October 10, 2021 12:34 PM NST
Maybe they only went for these clowns because they were cheap. (More profits, amirite?!)
ummy - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 12:36 PM NST
The only way you'd think Neopets NFTs wsoukd be a goid idea is because money
jorydanx, October 10, 2021 12:37 PM NST
Why didn't you take down this entire site for a actual blackout?

Show TNT and Jumpstart how unuseable their site is without the work and dedication from their playerbase.
ducky - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 12:39 PM NST
Every day I wonder what else they can do to show how simply unprofessional they are and they never stop to amaze me.

Still keep up the lie they are part of TNT. And all the other poo they've managed to say out loud.

They sure are behaving like bunch of 16-yr-old entitled brats. They probably are.

The Church of Crypto and their true, blind believers
monsterisland166, October 10, 2021 12:40 PM NST
LOL Oh my god this is so pathetic and funny I really hope that we're able to help cancel the NFT bullshit
nobody, October 10, 2021 12:42 PM NST
(To be extra clear, I was referring to ensuring expressions of our concerns reach the people in charge of the projects at the highest levels. Though I'd sure hope they'd have noticed by now.)
misterflipnote, October 10, 2021 12:44 PM NST
Personally, I would not be surprised if this whole debacle leads to corporate resignations at JumpStart or NetDragon, or leads to them selling Neopets back to Nickelodeon or a company that could actually help bring the brand into the modern age such as Nintendo or Sony Interactive Entertainment or any other company with a solid background in interactive entertainment.
swevin, October 10, 2021 12:46 PM NST
We all see what kind of people they are. And these kind of people is what JS want associated with the Neopets brand. Shame on you, JS! Shame on you!
melody5697, October 10, 2021 12:48 PM NST
Nintendo buying Neopets would probably be AWESOME!
grammostola, October 10, 2021 12:50 PM NST
i haven't touched neopets in probably a decade but i made an account here just to say that tweet is the most pathetic thing i've ever seen holy shit
ummy - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 12:50 PM NST
Nickelodeon dumped the brand (and Viacom will soon be in talks to selling itself to Comcast), Nintendo only cares about promoting it's platform and Neopets would have to be remade, and I can't see Sony interested either.

Neopets needs a small competent dev team that can maintain the current game while a new Neopets game is remade. A company like JS where Neopets is their most known IP. Bigger companies have no incentive to keep the headache of the old site around for small profits.
swevin, October 10, 2021 12:52 PM NST
We should do this blackout every weekend until JS comes to their senses.
ummy - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 12:55 PM NST
I think no matter how you look at it, any new Neopets revival project will have to have a mobile focus. Browser games are just too niche to survive and are at the whims of the browsers like abandoning flash.

The problem with the site conversion wasn't because it was mobile first, it's because it wasn't done well enough and is moving too slowly. So the site is in a weird partially mobile friendly state.
pikachu315111, October 10, 2021 1:01 PM NST
@ ummy:
We know why they went with Solana, to try and trick everyone into thinking they're "environmentally friendly". They didn't think farther then that. They didn't know Solana were a bunch of jerks and would bully the Neopets community. So now JS upper management has a choice:

1. Be completely fine partnering with people who verbally abuse their userbase and responds to controversy immaturely as possibly which will only harm the Neopets brand they're trying to sell.

2. End the partnership and find a more professional blockchain company, giving up on the illusion of being "environmentally friendly".

Oh, yes, both options are still bad, but these are the only options because JS upper management just see the NFT money others are making and desperately want in on it.
nymbra, October 10, 2021 1:04 PM NST
Honestly i'm ready to just see them nuke the entire site and brand. Pull the plug if your other option is to drag out its death like this. Save yourselves some dignity, JS... even if it's just a crumb.
ziporen, October 10, 2021 1:04 PM NST
So.. at what point do we flag down the Archive Team? Because I can't stop thinking that this will finally kill the site if this continues as it has, and I know that the Internet Archive has not been archiving Neo since at least 2014/15. (They do still have their archives from before then, but they are not publicly available due to the stop request.)
bethn, October 10, 2021 1:07 PM NST
I wonder if there is anywhere I could bet whether Neopets Meta are all secretly 15 year old boys or repugnant incels (see now-deleted self-portrait) and what odds I'd get each way.
It wouldnt surprise me at all if they gave NeoCorporate a bag of money and NeoCorporate said 'do what you like with anything public but we won't give you access to anything of ours'.
kosserdragon, October 10, 2021 1:12 PM NST
Honestly, at this point, I'm just waiting for a new site to come around. I hope a post will be made if this situation gets any worse and a new one is in development.

However, I highly doubt JS and TNT will come to thier senses. I've been seeing a trend of sites not listening lately that's high, even when most of the userbase is going away because of the changes. Maybe there's a rich few that support the NFTs?
frazeocity, October 10, 2021 1:16 PM NST
This will probably just get buried, but -

To me, this post just demonstrates who they're ACTUALLY trying to appeal to with this NFT debacle. Take a look at the memes - Pepe the Frog and whatever the neckbeard's name is; those are a dogwhistle if ever I saw one.

NeoNFTs were NEVER intended to appeal to us, the players clinging on to a 20-year-old game. They were always going to be for the cryptobros.
1mimi290, October 10, 2021 1:16 PM NST
Very disappointed. I dont think I can continue playing neopets anymore. I am very mad at the tweet and response. Also, I've only ever seen Frens used by 4chan users and people on patriots.win, which just makes me concerned to be honest. Who the heck is running this twitter? They sound so childish.
pikachu315111, October 10, 2021 1:22 PM NST
@ ziporen:
On the Neopian Times Writer Forum we're discussing (and some are already in the process of) archiving all Neopian Times entries that we can. https://ntwriters.proboards.com/thread/53681/neopian-times-archive
leafthethief, October 10, 2021 1:22 PM NST
I don't know how they managed to show every possible behaviors I hated most on internet but they did
rosi, October 10, 2021 1:23 PM NST
Disgusting beyond words I refused to read the 'post' honestly.
Who really wants to 'team up' with this bunch of offensive n00bs? Certainly not us fanbase with a 3 decades experience!

Yet their 'strategy' (so to speak) to turn the tables like this and accuse us instead seems downright copied from the rhetoric of -you know- that evil orange guy #45 I wouldn't be surprised if they are his supporters -____-
Sorry for the politically slanted comment, I'm really from the other side of the 'pond', but there are things we can't ignore
Feel free to delete/edit it if it's against JN's rules.
animajaneofan99, October 10, 2021 1:27 PM NST
I hope karma bites those guys on their butts so severely they'd be crying when this whole NFT stuff goes boom.

I hate this NFT hivemind, have you seen this these guys harass someone who makes pixel art didn't want to do NFTs and they dogpiled them?
pikachu315111, October 10, 2021 1:29 PM NST
@ frazeocity:
Which is why a response like this attacking the Neopet userbase is so confusing. Like, if they thought this NFTpet thing was only for their NFTers, why are they so hostile to us? Why do they care what we think if they're only catering to their own crowd?

* Were they indeed hoping to scam some Neopet players too?
* Are they worried some of their delusional NFTbros may stumble upon this and start thinking for themselves?
* Their own self-guilt starting to bubble back up the surface again and this is the only way they can bury it.

As I said, this is typical scammer behavior. Act super hostile to deniers until they can open up their scam, make as much dirty money as possible, cut & run leaving everyone else holding the bag (or, in this case, worthless jpegs).
peppermint, October 10, 2021 1:34 PM NST
Perhaps it's just me... but given TNT's track record with projects, I think it's clear this newest scheme will never truly amount to anything. I predict they'll be lucky to sell even half of their NFT's and the metaverse will never be functional.
If everyone looks down in their heart of hearts, you know this is the case and has been fated to be the case from the start.

With that in mind, I get the feeling that if this announcement had been made, and everyone just went "Meh" and paid it no heed, it would have quietly flopped over on its own as part of the digital circle of life and been swept under the rug like a dead spider you want to forget about.

I sometimes get a bad feeling with all these posts and social media wars on this topic fanning the flames that it will actually have the opposite effect everyone is aiming for and instead result in NetDragon doubling down. Rather than "Well, bad idea, let's forget it," it will be "Tangle with me eh? I'll show them!"
tamora, October 10, 2021 1:34 PM NST
I think the NFT plan is stupid - but I do actually think the moderator J0hn was rather polite and professional in his comments to people who disagree with him. I didn't see his posts as "sassy".
frazeocity, October 10, 2021 1:37 PM NST
@pikachu:

The whole thing is being built up as a pyramid scheme: the NFT crowd buys the NFTs when they first come out, making them the first layer of the pyramid. But they're only going to buy with the intention of selling to us, the actual site users. That makes us the second layer of the pyramid, but for the people running a pyramid scheme nothing actually matters beyond the first layer. Meaning how we feel about the whole deal ultimately doesn't matter to them. But if they can attract the cryptobros by making them feel superior to us Neopets plebs, then that's what they'll do.
sosoeuso, October 10, 2021 1:39 PM NST
Jesus christ the level of second hand embarrassment I feel, I'm not surprised that this sleazy business is run by manchildren who sound like 4channers
krasavitsa, October 10, 2021 1:39 PM NST
I'm still in disbelief that Neopets is associated with these idiots. These are two completely different communities & should never be tied together in any way, shape, or form. These people are childish & ignorant. I regret buying premium for the first time last month. It was real slick to announce this deal after the premium sale was over.
send_dis_pear, October 10, 2021 2:00 PM NST
@nobody yessss rock it! I need to try Gaia Online sometime. if I love neopets Ill probably love that too.

@misterflipnote gosh please, we need good people to buy and save neopets

@ziporen I will gladly help anyone wishing to archive parts of the site that have not been archived yet. I love saving neopets lore

@frazeocity so true, yes
becki622, October 10, 2021 2:02 PM NST
Besides, the NFT trash, (which is the junkiest stuff) WHO made this decision to do this? i mean really, they have NO IDEA what the neo or jumpstart brand is at all. neo is turning the site into a coloring book version for little folks and jumpstart is ALL about kids. (what happened to the neo cartoon?) so why would you make a world online where anyone can make up content? i can imagine who would be on that site and for what reasons. if i had small kids, they would NOT go on that new site. i dont even want my grown kids on there. and i did educate myself on NFTs and why they are terrible. thank you very much posters on twitter and that great artist making a pic that looks JUST like all of us. if thats the sample of the art, no wonder why they want players creating. i'm just saying...
jen_aside, October 10, 2021 2:03 PM NST
Would absolutely go back on Neo and create the account Hateoooooor but I'm sure somebody beat me to it!
pikachu315111, October 10, 2021 2:04 PM NST
@ frazeocity:

So we're supposed to be the second layer of the pyramid, the people them and their fellow NFTer are mocking. They expect us to then buy the NFT from them. What logic are they using that makes them think that's going to happen?

* The majority of Neopet players have shown they don't like NFT so there goes those people (many whom are pretty much the ones making up the majority of the Neopets site).

* Even for the players who are/were interested (for some reason), now you've gone and insulted them. Pro Tip: People aren't as willing to buy your stuff if you make fun of them.

* Do they think Neopet players have ANY spare money? If we spend money for something Neopets, it'll either be on NC or physical merch. We already got a digital pet (one we can do things with even), and we can choose their appearance also, so...

Now, I know what you're thinking: "Solana isn't thinking that far, once the first layer buys their stuff they're gone". Very true, this is honestly more of a question to the NFTbros. If you're bottom line is selling these NFT for profit, WHO are you selling it too? It's not going to be to Neopet players, and any business that wants to do something with Neopets will directly do business with Net Dragon/JumpStart/Neopet. Who's the end customer here? You can't be collecting just for pure collecting because it's just a random Neopets image they randomly generated, you can't do anything with it. At most you have to hope they keep *some* of their roadmap promises but that raises a whole bunch of other questions which leads to the conclusion "you don't need NFTs to do that".
jaudaran, October 10, 2021 2:23 PM NST
Looked at the Neopets twitter and remembered it's eyrie day. I'd been planning for a while to write a poem and enter art...I wouldn't have felt like it even if I'd remembered, now. Even a week or two ago I could hardly wait to see the new color, etc, and now I hardly care...

Every new terrible development is making it harder and harder to keep playing Neopets. Even if TNT isn't directly involved, it's all reflecting on the site, and I find I can't look at any of it without thinking about this slimy mess.
ummy - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 2:25 PM NST
Never in my life have I seen a property publically insult their own consumers.
recklesse, October 10, 2021 2:31 PM NST
So we're supposed to be the second layer of the pyramid,
——-

I don’t think we are. We are just an obstacle to their project, an insect to be swatted. The impression I get is that the NFT people buy and sell among themselves and try to ‘recruit’ like-minded people (speculators with an interest in crypto) into the ‘community’. From what I’ve seen over the last few days, there is a fair amount of competition between the different crypto platforms and currencies (especially between etherium and solana).
yllaille, October 10, 2021 2:33 PM NST
...yeah, I'm done. I'd rather see the site consigned to the dustbin than associated with scams and worse. This is not the Neopets of my childhood. I can spend my money elsewhere.

@rosi -- You know, for what it's worth, I'm one of his supporters and I'm wholeheartedly against this. I'm not sure why you're even going there when this has literally nothing to do with him or us. Do you know that Cherrypicks' founder and CEO, Jason Chiu, has direct ties to the CCP? They're not exactly fans of "orange man bad". They're just fine with genocide and concentration camps, though, which is on my list of things we can't ignore.

Point being, it's unproductive to attack people who are on the same side over completely unrelated issues.
olcia1446, October 10, 2021 2:46 PM NST
...
bigbootyjudy721, October 10, 2021 2:49 PM NST
I think I'm done. I started playing 2 and a half years ago after something bad happened in my life and I really enjoyed it but this is a crock of bologna (to keep my language clean).
recklesse, October 10, 2021 2:49 PM NST
Oh, also crypto is a popular method of money laundering, allegedly, so that’s another market to sell to right there.

@rosi, I think they may have more in common with the notorious Bullingdon Club .
However, no need to get political. I think this probably just goes back to a few greedy execs looking for a boost to their retirement fund.
bandit, October 10, 2021 2:51 PM NST
Love you guys, yous have your heads on straight and the blackout is clearly working if its upset these sillies this much. Haven't seen such an embarrassing reaction to something in a looong time.
darkwolfqueen1994, October 10, 2021 2:52 PM NST
Something makes me think Metaverse might be a former player trying to get "revenge". Going off the childish behavior. Probably not the case, but that's what it makes me think.
liminalnostalgia, October 10, 2021 3:03 PM NST
Everyone is commenting that they are going to stop playing because of this, even if the site persists, but... I've only recently come back and I've really been enjoying playing again. My real life is really hard right now and it was the one thing i could do to alleviate that a little...now that this is going on, I'm scared I'm going to lose that too.
rosi, October 10, 2021 3:08 PM NST
@yllaille: I'm sorry that my angry comment offended you -of course it wasn't intentional.
Yes I'm well aware of the ties with the c0**unist party and the plight of Uyghur people (you put it right, it's genocide). I'm not supportive (and never will) of that political wing.

What I was trying to say is that this RHETORIC (emphasis on it)
of turning the tables on someone by making the accusers look guilty of what they are accusing was something I *first* noticed in that politician's tweets. I didn't want to throw politics in but just point out that I *first saw this kind of behaviour* in those instances. So, to put it simply, I was criticizing the behaviour.

Thank you for voicing your opinion and telling where I was wrong.
I really should have been more thoughtful to clearly state what I meant and shouldn't have grouped everything/everybody in.

I apologize again for my reckless comment and really, if you find it against the rules, feel free to take steps (these days I'm really in only for JN comments -and the costume contest- so things can become heated quickly).
ilovedachshunds, October 10, 2021 3:20 PM NST
This is just sad. So mature of them. :/ I'm dropping this petition again:

yllaille, October 10, 2021 3:20 PM NST
@rosi -- No worries! I didn't take offense, I just felt the need to speak up. Five years of taking blame for every ill in the world has made me a little touchy, I'm afraid. o: But I'm very glad to see people from all different areas, both geographically and ideologically, are against this. A lot of folks also seem unaware of the CCP connection with this dumpster fire, so I'm taking opportunities to bring it up when I see them (it has kind of become my white whale); I'm glad you already know.

Lots of love and positive energy from my side of the pond to yours. And to anyone else who needs it!
jessalynn, October 10, 2021 3:39 PM NST
What if this is how TNT truly feels about us?
fihyn, October 10, 2021 3:41 PM NST
I’m laughing so hard I wish I could sell all $8 trillion worth of my saved images. what a dream that would be
rosi, October 10, 2021 4:07 PM NST
@recklesse: ah ah! Don't even get me started at that one lad! Thank you for providing a bit of comic relief.
It's nice to hear from someone from the *actual* other side of the pond (not that we in continental Europe get any better, but let's draw a line now).

@yllaille: thank you for bringing the connection up. It really doesn't get the top news spot here, either, so the more occasions one can make it known the better.
themeepit32, October 10, 2021 4:53 PM NST
*sets up lawn chair, pop a few *insert drinks*

let's watch the fire grow
onelittlespark, October 10, 2021 4:58 PM NST
Update as of a few minutes ago: Metaverse has tweeted an apology. Absolute mess.
treasure, October 10, 2021 5:08 PM NST
This may possibly be the worst and most insincere apology I have ever read lol
bumblebee856309, October 10, 2021 5:30 PM NST
It won't be long before the metaverse crew start throwing more poo around. As I said before, these people just love and even thrive on winding others up hoping to get a few short possibly even course remarks back. I don't do proper social media as I think it's just a giant cess pit of all things horrible, but if I did I can guarantee I would end up being blocked and thrown off the sites!!! But people power in the end do prevail, so at the moment I'm sitting tight and riding out the storm with anyone else on here because I love Neopets, it 'was' a great site (when everything is working) and still is in some respects and I really don't want to see it go.
jaydeed, October 10, 2021 5:43 PM NST
No more or less than I would expect from them. Utterly rude and insulting.
elektropunch, October 10, 2021 5:48 PM NST
@treasure totally. they could have just doubled down and not said anything or could have made a simple apology and thrown in an apology for their prior behaviors on discord but no they needed to drone onwards. the whole message seems like a subtle insult and they think we are too stupid to realize it
rishloo, October 10, 2021 5:49 PM NST
Lol, there's no way that meme and "information" chain could've been read as ANYTHING but condescending, mocking, and belittling. "We didn't know the meme was offensive" my left cheek.
elektropunch, October 10, 2021 5:51 PM NST
i'm aware my own behaviors come off immature but then that is part of my sense of humor and upbringing. crude and childish humor was not in short supply, very few people get along with me. i am sorry to the people i have offended, just not metaverse
roxywolf, October 10, 2021 6:00 PM NST
Love the insinuation that people who don't embrace NFTs are as societally harmful as people who refuse to get vaccinated. Love to see it. Very telling that they deleted their own twitter post after getting ratio'd -- that milquetoast apology is the most generic "we're sorry you got upset at the awful thing we did" statement they could've made, and more than anything else it's patronizing.

The entire Neopets Metaverse team are patronizing to a fault because they presume that everyone who plays a site as outdated and janky as neopets must be a technological caveman who hasn't left their bubble for the last 10 years and has never heard the term 'cryptocurrency' before Neopets went NFT. But speaking personally, I have been involved in cryptocurrency since mining it could be done as a background task on your home computer and a single bitcoin was worth a few hundred bucks. I'm not ignorant on what NFTs are, I just -- and this is crucial -- do not like them, and do not want them in my free to play virtual pet website. And judging by the community response, neither does the vast majority of the community, either.

I know I'm preaching to the crowd, but it's deeply frustrating to see a site I genuinely care for not only fall from grace, but become wholly monopolized by people who fundamentally misunderstand why Neopets matters to anyone despite all the problems it's faced over the years, and who see it as a quick cash grab to pump-and-dump when the next hot new NFT hits the market -- with no regard for the people who actually formed a community around this website and will be left to pick up the pieces once the Neo NFTs fall out of favor.

TL;DR we're not ignorant, we're long-suffering and frustrated, and the patronizing tone of the Metaverse team is only fueling the fire of discontent.
themeepit32, October 10, 2021 6:21 PM NST
hateoooor is now a neopet (born today, wonder whhhyyy
lucy_haha, October 10, 2021 6:25 PM NST
@yllaille

Did you realize that CCP is the one who BANS cryptocurrency in thier own country? Did you realize the partners of these NFTs fiasco are from HONG KONG?
ferinsy, October 10, 2021 6:29 PM NST
Did y'all heard about Subeta and Dappervolk? They have way better communities rn tbh, it's where I feel better lately, ultra LGBTQIAP+ friendly and such two nice places for artists (there's art commerce).

Because seriously, Neopets is SO over, I don't see how this shshow can be turned over...
cat, October 10, 2021 6:36 PM NST

In fairness to the “NFTs destroy the environment” thing, that’s not entirely true and is based on confusing NFTs for cryptocurrency. Cryptocurrency mining destroys the environment because of the energy mining computers use, but cryptocurrency itself doesn’t have to involve mining and NFTs don’t necessarily have to require cryptocurrency. That doesn’t invalidate the point that NFTs are basically pointless or are a less effective monitization strategy than simply selling copies of an artwork for a dollar or two.
fihyn, October 10, 2021 6:38 PM NST
Subeta is a nice petsite and well-managed, but I would personally not recommend Dappervolk (I played as a beta tester and stayed with it for over a year, but have just recently quit as of about three weeks ago.)

the DV staff is well-meaning but have a poor grasp on how to manage a website, especially one with game mechanics (it's not an unfriendly place but as a game, it's very boring and grind-driven.) but in DV's defense, it certainly does have a very diverse art community if that's something that you like.
infernodragon02, October 10, 2021 6:40 PM NST
The IQ level I would expect from people pushing this project.

Every day finds another reason why it's a terrible idea. Sad little bullies on the world's tiniest playground.
ilovedachshunds, October 10, 2021 6:48 PM NST
Uhhhh... the "P" stands for "pansexual." (Google)
infernodragon02, October 10, 2021 6:49 PM NST
Anyway, you can tell when something is a terrible idea when people resort to being e-bullies in an attempt to coerce you with abuse.

I'd say TNT ought to think hard about partnering with these e-clowns, tell them to go back to watching Rick and Morty and posting on edgy subreddits, but... yeah.

I love how they try so hard to score cheap Internet points among themselves and really hope their superiority pays off for them. I'll be waiting over here for the crash and burn.
lucy_haha, October 10, 2021 6:52 PM NST
@cat
You know what, in order for the NFTs to be registered in a open block chain, computers competitate to caculate for the right token to add that bit of information to the chainblock. Do you know how people earn cryptocurrencies? By competitating and get the correct calculation and gets rewarded. Most NFTs if not all are a promotion of cryptocurrency. Plus, how are you going to sell your NFT "assets"? With cryptocurrency.
fihyn, October 10, 2021 6:58 PM NST
- - -

couldn't agree more; they are trying so hard for such utterly useless return.
valentynedreams, October 10, 2021 7:02 PM NST
I am fuming about this. Fuming. I have a huge following on the bird app those sad bullies chose to spew on today. I am a financial trader. A FOREX, options, and stock trader. I wouldn't touch crypto for so many reasons it there wouldn't be enough characters to explain it all....but to be insulted like that. That they would suggest I am not intelligent enough to know what I am talking about - that demands an apology. I didn't blast them because I care about Neopets and I don't want the site to fail because of this bad decision but WOW they managed to cover all major insults in just a few posts. I don't know if TNT has their hands tied in this or which of their parent companies is overseeing this but they better start apologising to their users right now. NetDragon Websoft Holdings Ltd is currently trading on the HYSE under 0777.HK. An incident like this needs to affect their market value because that seems to be the only language they understand.
lucy_haha, October 10, 2021 7:03 PM NST
Also, try not to get blinded by the rival or more like HATER of China. No matter what you think you know, not everyone against it is with a good intention. So far this NFT fiasco have nothing much to do with political stuff, but more like c****lism is trying to get around with CCP's ban on the cryptocurrency harm. It would only give Chinese people financial bubbles and at least the ban on the cryptocurrency is one good deed from CCP.
seven_dead_owls, October 10, 2021 7:07 PM NST
I read all the stuff about the NFTs but I need someone to explain this to me like I'm 5 years old I guess Is this roadmap thing a seperate thing from the actual site? Like will neopets the way it is now still exist? Will it become the pay to play that's talked about?
This is all just one big train wreck that toots out Neos death as it chugs along broken tracks
ummy - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 7:11 PM NST
---
It is separate. But if it succeeds don't believe for a second JS will support 2 versions of Neopets. There's also the fact that Metaverse has shown no evidence they have the ability to develop a game.
ummy - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 7:14 PM NST
If Metaverse is raking in millions, it makes no financial sense to invest in a browser game that needs an overhaul to coninue to exist.
reposeclock, October 10, 2021 7:19 PM NST
Does anyone have a link to the thread? I tried the wayback machine but it doesn't work.
nymbra, October 10, 2021 7:21 PM NST
*IF it's raking in millions. Which I highly doubt it will...
valentynedreams, October 10, 2021 7:22 PM NST
It's unlikely Metaverse would be raking in millions because they have shown no evidence that they would be able to create a game to generate such interest. What Neopets has going for it is a dedicated NC Mall userbase. They already cater to that over the broken parts of the site. I can't see the Metaverse generating enough interest to turn it into anything that could generate millions.
alli_draggy, October 10, 2021 7:46 PM NST
FYI - keep in mind re: Subeta that it claims to be PG-13 and...isn't. It's got some avatar items that are in serious poor taste. If you're looking for similar vibes except with art commerce and some breeding sim elements, check out Flight Rising.
jcdiva7, October 10, 2021 7:52 PM NST
ugh...this drama never ends with these Meta people...can this partnership truly end so we can focus on pet slots and for those that want UCs
fihyn, October 10, 2021 7:53 PM NST
oh gosh I didn't know about the avatar items sorry about that
fihyn, October 10, 2021 7:59 PM NST
Is the end of the blackout at midnight NST or a different "time zone?"
cat, October 10, 2021 8:41 PM NST
“ Uhhhh... the "P" stands for "pansexual." (Google)”
Isn’t that just another word for bisexual though?
rishloo, October 10, 2021 8:44 PM NST
@Cat Pan is not bi. Bi is polar, male or female. Pan is male or female or anything else along the spectrum, agender, NB, etc.
fihyn, October 10, 2021 8:51 PM NST
@rishloo
actually, the lived experiences of people who are bi or pan are very similar. the bi in bisexual means "two or more," and can include the whole spectrum of gender identity just the same as pan can.

it comes down to which label people prefer to use; I've heard a lot of bi/pan folks say it comes down to how they experience their attraction - with bi folks saying their attraction is a slightly different experience depending on the gender of the person they're attracted to, and pan folks saying they tend to be attracted to all genders in similar ways. but this is just one possible way to look at it, as every bi or pan person may have a different way of describing their attraction.
cat, October 10, 2021 8:55 PM NST
“FYI - keep in mind re: Subeta that it claims to be PG-13 and...isn't. It's got some avatar items that are in serious poor taste.”

That’s unfortunate. I’ve mostly migrated to CastleCats on mobile, it’s single species instead of letting you adopt multiple species but the artwork is cute, gameplay is satisfying and the develipaws are LGBTQ+ friendly, also it’s very G rated. My only complaint is it could use more minigames (it really only has a match 3 game and a memory game) and it can be a bit grindy (though nowhere near as bad as the AC).
galifan, October 10, 2021 9:18 PM NST
So where's everybody going, after leaving Neo? Is there a safe alternative?
sosoeuso, October 10, 2021 9:18 PM NST
ew what is this comments section at this point
fihyn, October 10, 2021 9:19 PM NST
I'm currently wondering that as well @galifan. I think flight rising is a fairly safe bet? but the vibe of the site is a little less like "pets" than some other petsites.
i_love_latin - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 9:29 PM NST
@cat Okay wait but "develipaws" is very cute
bethn, October 10, 2021 9:30 PM NST
The only things missing from their sincere apology were sincerity and an apology.
i_love_latin - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 9:40 PM NST
@bethn ^^^^^
An accurate summary
mogster, October 10, 2021 9:47 PM NST
This is literally the way MLM Hon-Bots work. You state their MLM is a scam and explain why/how. They get all upset and start insulting you for not wanting to join their team or buy their super over priced stuff.
thebirthdayprincess, October 10, 2021 10:01 PM NST
Thank you to the Jellyneo team for your reporting and stance on Neopets and NFTs. Nothing says scam like making fun of people with legitimate questions who might scare their victims away. As an educator who has liked Jumpstart for their software this is a bewildering partnership tarnishing their brand usually associated with elementary schools.
sweetadeline, October 10, 2021 10:02 PM NST
@cat

"Looks like they went to the SJW school of internet debate. Well, maybe not quite, they called us stupid anti-vaxxer neckbeards but haven’t called us Nazis yet."

Uh, SJW are usually people fighting for their rights and being called names for doing so. POC, lgbt and the like. You aren't a victim if you act like a white supremist online and are called a nazi. You can disagree about pizza toppings. Not someone's rights.
dave - JN Staff, October 10, 2021 10:10 PM NST
Hey all--just a reminder to please keep the comments Neoboards appropriate. We're deleting any or all comments that have any words your grandma would be shocked to hear.
winterland, October 10, 2021 10:16 PM NST
valentynedreams: "I didn't blast them because I care about Neopets and I don't want the site to fail because of this bad decision but WOW they managed to cover all major insults in just a few posts."

Exactly my thoughts, despite all this nonsense, I still think that TNT cant do too much.

We are looking at a live example about what happens when some incompetents gets their hands in a good brand. Blackberry, Kodak, Blockbuster and now Neopets.

I wouldnt be surprised if the guy who decided Blockbuster not to buy Neftlix its behind nfts (?)
winterland, October 10, 2021 10:17 PM NST
Okay Dave, sorry for the rant.
bethn, October 10, 2021 10:20 PM NST
Apologies.
lilliae, October 10, 2021 10:43 PM NST
Hi JN~! I also uploaded the whole fiasco to the WBM before it was deleted too!! It seems the link that i saved is still functional, and you're 1000000% Welcome to use it for your original post! In fact, i'd be *honored* to have been able to help you out in even the most miniscule way possible. I'm so heart broken over how this entire disaster has been playing out over the last few weeks, and it's comforting to know that your wonderful Team has our back throughout all of this. Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication throughout the years, now even more than ever. <3

nobody, October 10, 2021 11:30 PM NST
Thank you for posting that, Lilliae!
nobody, October 10, 2021 11:37 PM NST
---
@valentynedreams Do it! Blast em on social media! Reprimanding their behavior won't affect Neopets one way or another most likely for reasons mentioned by other users, which, as I understand, come down to the peeps in charge of Neopets having already condemned it, and us protesting can only attempt to get them to notice our pleas and listen..? If nothing else, I'll feel a tiny bit better if their shameful behavior is criticized more widely...
elisa_rlyeh, October 10, 2021 11:46 PM NST
Me, a latina woman resembling a hateooor:

not
1jediboy, October 11, 2021 12:11 AM NST
It’s now the 11th on Neopets.

Should we go back to Neopia?
Or is the blackout going to extend?
I’m good with either.
dark169, October 11, 2021 12:15 AM NST
Such unprofessional behavior. It'd be a considerable upgrade if TJST switched to a different crew of NFT peddlers. Like, all NFT peddlers are trash, but this current trash pile is particularly stinky.
recklesse, October 11, 2021 12:37 AM NST
@1jediboy

I'm going to look in very briefly today to check on my pets and make sure the NFT bros aren't out 'recruiting' or fearmongering on the boards. Then I'll log off again and treat the site to the radio silence it usually treats its players to.

I'll review the situation tomorrow before deciding what to do next.
recklesse, October 11, 2021 12:41 AM NST
@dark169, I'm not convinced a different NFT crew would be any different. We seem to have stumbled into a turf war between the different platforms and they need to attract those unsavoury types as 'foot soldiers' , and this seems to be their tried and tested method.

I'm sure it will bring their whole house crashing down eventually, but it may take a while.
biediep, October 11, 2021 12:42 AM NST
I love how their way of showing us that NFT's are legit, definitely not a scam and that we should totally buy them and that WE are the ones in need of education.. is to post a cringy meme made by an 8 year old and basically calling us mouth breathers. I immediately feel so stupid for not believing in them before. So enlightened. Let's go, guys! I've completely changed my point of few and will now spend my entire savings account to support these professionals.
cay, October 11, 2021 12:57 AM NST
I just noticed with that Jetsam they posted on Meta's page - it looks like there's Chinese writing on the top left corner O.o;
cay, October 11, 2021 1:03 AM NST
lol, Meta is certainly not owned by TNT - TNT are nicer towards us where as Meta are horrible! Judging by the Chinese writing I'd say this is Netdragon's idea!
cay, October 11, 2021 1:05 AM NST
I'm still staying on Neo, tried other pet sites but I just can't click!
ladyamethyst, October 11, 2021 2:19 AM NST
TNT seems to be forgetting that there is a portion of us who reduced their playing thanks to no games. I still haven't customized my pets in 10 months now. Restocking is only so entertaining.

My point is that the first step has already been taken in having to find something else to do. The second step is always easier & this whole mess sure makes things easy to wave goodbye.

"It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy...Let's go exploring" ` Bill Waterson. I think maybe I'll do just that.
recklesse, October 11, 2021 3:20 AM NST
@cay, the chinese writing is because the image is supposed to represent some hero/backer of theirs who runs a company called SinoGlobalCapital based in China.
recklesse, October 11, 2021 3:23 AM NST
@ladyamethyst, that's very true. I'm glad I've found a few alternatives to dip my toe into. It's fun exploring new things.

I will miss my pets though, if this all ends badly.
jomarcenter, October 11, 2021 3:57 AM NST
After hearing this as a veteran neopets player since childhood

Sad to see a lot of new games started to go onto the NFT train, Making it harder to play the game. if you herd about certain popular NFT game. The developers are in panic mode because they cannot get new people in due to how expensive just to get the requirements to start playing.

If neopets end up going to this route, None of us would play neopets and only miners and rich people can play, and they just only care about the money.

I also played pre 2010 pet-like stimulator games such as gopets and pet society, and neopets is the only thing that is left around. Even gopets is becoming lost media as there is little to no information about the game left on the open web.

TO make sure no NFT Whitewarrior going to do hateful things on me. I have a degree in game design and development with background in computer science, I understand the industry in general works and understand how NFT and Blockchain works. it sad to see video game is going toward more profit based than enjoyability.

While I do believed Blockchain can be good for transaction transparency (this is how its intended to be used as a method to be a unhackable, unmodifiable records that is designed to prevent abuse) The way its being used right now is becoming more abusive and sad.
zeelink, October 11, 2021 4:35 AM NST
Holeeeee... Obligatory RLM quote that sadly keeps being relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6BRQKHYkjQ

Step one of being a scammer/cult leader/trash - deflect, deflect, deflect, and make it seem like the people criticising you are crazy. I played Neopets for more than half of my life, and this just hurts.
xoxofate, October 11, 2021 5:04 AM NST
So funny that they never once denied that they were all about the complete monetization of neopets. Which, I both understand and also hate. BUT...I'm almost worried we'll honestly have no choice. TNT died and this is our only savior of NPTs.
nymbra, October 11, 2021 5:20 AM NST
A few pet games I play that are LGBTQIA+ friendly and G-PG13 rated...

Goatlings
Eggcave
Chickensmoothie

They're not Neopets but I enjoy them... the communities on Eggcave and Goatlings are pretty small and kind too.
apophis324, October 11, 2021 5:41 AM NST
And still the soap goes on. I wonder who will succumb first:
-The JellyNeo-band of Hateoooors (which, come on.. learn to type. That would be hateeeeers. Or actually, better yet, haaaaters, for the emphasis is on the first syllable).
-The hated NFT and the Neopian Cinematic Universe (because let's be real, this soap could be serialised into a couple of movies).
-The Neopets Team and possibly the rest of Neopets along with them... (let's hope not > -<

Tune in next Friday for the thrilling continuation of this episodic saga!
apophis324, October 11, 2021 5:41 AM NST
... How did that turn into a ? That was supposed to be a simple > -<
claytonskitten, October 11, 2021 5:42 AM NST
Unbelievable. I know EXACTLY what 5G is, am fully vaccinated, and DO NOT WANT NFTs. "Owns $8 trillion in saved images" WITCH PLEASE. They are freakin pixels. Just like all our in-game content. And if we decide NOT to participate, we're free to do so! I'm not on board for any of this nonsense, and not only will I continue to boycott NC, I will proudly display my FREE NFT from Jellyneo on my main!
recklesse, October 11, 2021 5:49 AM NST
They are just mudslinging because it riles up their supporters. It isn't really aimed at us at all. They'd find someone else to aim the vitriol at if we weren't a convenient target.

This isn't personal. It's undeniably hurtful, but that's not quite the same thing. It's a way of 'rallying the troops'. Unfortunately their 'troops' are a rather obnoxious bunch.
recklesse, October 11, 2021 5:51 AM NST
I've been watching a bunch of Jim Browning videos this weekend. It kind of helps to put scammers into perspective.
galifan, October 11, 2021 6:26 AM NST
Well, seriously, if TNT are going to let the NFT carpetbaggers completely destroy the site, the good people here need to grab their Neofriends and find a SFW community to join together. Trouble is, now that everyone's sitting across from each other but looking at their iPhones instead of talking, the "social" part of a social site like Neo is getting lost in the noise. Wherever y'all go, go together. And best of luck!
fihyn, October 11, 2021 6:33 AM NST
I’m mostly on board with you galifan but uhh lots of players socialize on neopets by… looking at their phones.
rynneer, October 11, 2021 6:34 AM NST
…well this sure is a shitshow, isn’t it.
rynneer, October 11, 2021 6:35 AM NST
I’m gonna log in and put my pets in the hotel and if nothing changes… maybe it’s time to put my accounts back in the freezer.
enchanting_ghosts, October 11, 2021 6:48 AM NST
If it makes anyone feel better (or not, because it's all pretty terrible!) the likelihood that the NFT actually becomes part of neopia is very small. Most nft are scams and the "extras" that are promised disappear into the void along with your money and you are left with a shitty image no one wants. Probably not even you, if you think about it.

I think the real question is whether JS is in on the cut and run, or if they are going to get hit too. (Many times in a nft scam the actual artist behind the images doesn't even get paid!!)
enchanting_ghosts, October 11, 2021 6:52 AM NST
Also! For those looking to do something -- is there a way to target advertisers directly? Let them know ppl won't be playing while the NFT deal is still on? They might pull ads, which would change JS much faster than losing clicks.
melody5697, October 11, 2021 7:07 AM NST
@enchanting_ghosts Do ads still work that way?
alkseeyakc, October 11, 2021 7:15 AM NST
It's funny that they are calling people uneducated yet you look at their Twitter and you see them using images of Pikachu and Spiderman. It's like do you guys know how properties work? Talks about making money then have Nintendo or Marvel sue them.

I honestly don't understand what this team is, none of them are working professionally and making the Neopets brand look bad. Neopets or JumpStart should remove them.
ifloatupwards, October 11, 2021 7:23 AM NST
Those MetaTURDs can suck a fart.
housie, October 11, 2021 7:25 AM NST
Netdragon/JS partnership with these so called "companies" just confirms my suspicions that there's money laundering behind all of it. We all here know for a fact that this NFT project will be unsuccessful, but that doesn't matter to them cause it's the perfect facade
etherealpath, October 11, 2021 7:34 AM NST
hey guys they also stole this picture for this dumb thread https://twitter.com/NeopetsMeta/status/1444857079232024578?s=20 can jellyneo do something to bring attention to this?
superhero_moniker, October 11, 2021 7:42 AM NST
This whole situation is sad and upsetting. After creating so many happy memories for people throughout the years, Neopets does not deserve to be done dirty like this.
umbra, October 11, 2021 7:46 AM NST
On the morning of the blackout this weekend, I went through my accounts and saved copies of all my pages, pet images, etc. For memories if nothing else. Because I half expect this move to end Neopets in the coming months. At least I'll have backups of my pets and the content I've created for them and this site. I wish I could keep things the rest of the community makes too...

I have a feeling our community as we know it won't be around much longer.
jessalynn, October 11, 2021 7:59 AM NST
How long will TNT be blind to this?
recklesse, October 11, 2021 8:37 AM NST
TNT are not blind to it.

They either can't or won't communicate with their players about it. It's possible that all communication has to go through JS/Netdragon for approval

Waiting for the next message addressed to 'valued Neopians'.
I don't think Neopians feel remotely 'valued' any more.
jomarcenter, October 11, 2021 8:44 AM NST
if possible we should escalate it to jumpstart themselves they started this mess to begin with.

if any spread the word not within the neopets community but the general public since a lot of people gonna really question why a Education entertainment company basically grant a NFT companies to use their IP that is designed for kids to make NFT out of, this will really give a lot of discussion and can affect jumpstart very negatively as the education sector and the general public will start a boycott of their products.
melody5697, October 11, 2021 9:41 AM NST
I messaged the hosts of a popular (albeit somewhat controversial) podcast about the situation. This isn't exactly the kind of thing they usually talk about, but maybe they'll be intrigued and decide to cover it anyway, which should help this get more attention.
dadylman, October 11, 2021 9:45 AM NST
I’m taking an indefinite hiatus. Everyone’s so angry and I’ve had people take it out on my on-and-off the site. Seeing this everywhere is so bad for my mental health and well-being, so I’m unplugging for the indefinite future. Stay safe and well, everyone.
dusk, October 11, 2021 10:11 AM NST
Re: other sites, I am also on Flight Rising. It's LGTB+ friendly, has a variety of artists, allows commissions, has virtually unlimited slots (you may buy more with treasure, which is equilivant to Neopoints and easy to earn), and is mobile friendly. It's already converted to HTML5 so can be browsed and played on other devices.

I'm so sad to see Neo going down like this. The NFT clowns are super unprofessional and not attracting anyone but trolls with their pathetic posts.
earthling, October 11, 2021 10:26 AM NST
Absolutely appalled by Metaverse. Thank you, JN, for your tireless work keeping us informed. #NoNeoNFTs
sosoeuso, October 11, 2021 10:48 AM NST
y'all, we should bring this up to one of those essayist youtubers who discuss internet topics, like Izzzyzzz or Sarah Z (although the latter said she only talks about the subject if she is or was involved in it)
nobody, October 11, 2021 11:11 AM NST
I've been on Subeta since 2007, and I love it because you can say things that you can't even insinuate on Neopets. It's very adult friendly. It's character creation oriented, and every week several people win news spotlights on their petpages. It has a diverse array of pet species and paintjobs in an illustration style more similar to preneopocalypse Neopets. You can overlay pets with your own drawing of that pet, or hire someone else to draw one for you. That's right. USD for art assets. It's against the rules to trade pets, though, but you can adopt. There are petpets. Pet names are not unique aside from a Legacy name situation. You can code developed petpages. You have a human avatar and a lot, a lot, a LOT of clothing options. Many events that require user to user community interaction. It's a very LGBTQIAPD2S+ site.

I've been on Flight Rising since 2013, which is primarily breeding oriented, though there is a small community of character creators and roleplayers, and your clan you pick in the beginning acts as your guild. There is a small battle system, and you can also dress up your dragons and change their species and paintjobs into thousands of combinations. You can sell and trade your dragons. Pet names are not unique. There are petpets. You can enter contests to draw skins that act as coloration overlay outfits and other users can use these skins.

I've been on Furvilla since 2016, and it's an exciting site to use based on interface alone. You have to get used to your characters being anthros, though. Your pet anthro people get jobs and work. You can change their species and colors, and use overlays like you can on Subeta. Pet names are not unique. You can decorate your own house. There are petpets and petpet breeding.

I've been on Dappervolk since 2018, and it's currently won my heart the most outside of Neopets, despite kinda being the least developed currently? The NPCs are the most adorb, and the interaction system is a video game. A large map
nobody, October 11, 2021 11:12 AM NST
-c- A large map of towns to explore. The minigames don't get boring. You have a human avatar and clothing options. The interface is smooth like Furvilla. Pets names are not unique. Pets hatch out of...objects. There's a character stat system based on personality traits.

Aywas and Wajas still exist. There are smaller sites like Sensipets, Marapets, Land of Unicorns, Chicken Smoothie, augh, there's too many to list. You can check out Virtual Pet List directory to see what's been developed and what's going strong.

I haven't been active on any of these in years because I've been focusing figuring out my offline situation and occassionally grazing Neo. But as far as I know these four are great bets if you're looking for somewhere to start moving your characters and petpages or somewhere to enjoy and join a community.
myriamele, October 11, 2021 11:18 AM NST
I hate to say it, but it sure seems like JumpStart isn't interested in keeping Neopets around anymore
dragons_dusk, October 11, 2021 1:39 PM NST
As soon as they 'tried' to change the site to be mobile compatible but gave up I knew they were going to do whatever they could to get us much money from us as possible before either closing the site or letting it just fester.
winterland, October 11, 2021 2:53 PM NST
Ill rephrase and old post from yesterday that was deleted.

But I really wonder where this "nft team" kids came from?
From their way of acting I seriously doubt they played neo before... or that they are mature enough to manage a social network.

I mean "its a good thing that neo came with nfts". Seriously? Taking into account the site its in even if someone will get interested they will leave shortly after... unless they are planning to give up on the site...

They really dared to made fun of the whole community? I have yet to know one single person, just one that supports this. Its really sad that some kids who came out of nowhere are in charge of "oficial" social networks, I mean, they probably had never heard of neo before, they lack any knowledge about what we want or need in this site.

What really mades me sad its that Im almost sure that TNT doesnt have a word with this, so they are between these... not-so-smart people and the angry playerbase.

Wonder if we will ever get to see AAA and Abigail again.

Ah! Im already vaccinated and NFTs are trash btw.
winterland, October 11, 2021 2:59 PM NST
"Maybe the player base should consider making a fan site to archive our favorite content (petpages, guides, layouts, favorite customizations). Because it sounds like the plan is to remove the site as it is and replace it with something else.
I have a feeling our community as we know it won't be around much longer."

@umbra: Ive got the same feeling. I may need to do the same soon. Im really surprised how strong the community still is, after all this years of mismanagement.
pinkie_2525, October 11, 2021 3:23 PM NST
"Pyramid scheme"? How preposterous! This thing is clearly a ponzi scheme.
insane000illusions, October 11, 2021 4:18 PM NST
The fact that they would compare us to anti vaxers and people who don't like 5G (I didn't even know this was a thing I do tech support for apple and hear all kinds of crazy stuff I've never had a customer complain about 5G lol)
It insults our intelligence. How old are the people on this team? I made my first account in 2002. These are the kind of people that don't compromise or have discussions they just start slinging insults but it makes them sound uneducated not us.
nobody, October 11, 2021 4:49 PM NST
That face when you realize some of the people responsible for what may be the downfall of Neopets are younger than your actual Neopets...
anomally, October 11, 2021 4:49 PM NST
Ugh, just immediately all of these guys who don't have anything better to do in life just immediately start wanting to destroy something just because they want Crypto.

Sorry that this isn't some p0rn site for you all and you've had to get it elsewhere. I for one have been glad that there has been at least one place on the internet where I'm not bombarded by toxicity.

But nope. We just immediately have to go from PG straight to Triple X rated don't we?
nobody, October 11, 2021 4:50 PM NST
BRB adding the tag #myneopetsareolderthanyou
jace999608, October 11, 2021 11:36 PM NST
Webarchive backup is back up!
anomally, October 12, 2021 7:23 AM NST
I like how they put saved jpegs and right click save as as if they are insults.

Oh no we know... how to save images? And we like to save them? The HoRrOr!!!