Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!
Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!

TNT's Statement on NFTs
  • Posted on September 23, 2021, 4:25 pm NST

TNT has posted a message on the Neoboards regarding the recent NFT drama that unfolded over the past day and a half.

The message does little to address the concerns of current players about Neopets entering into its second crypto project, but does confirm the legitimacy of the project and explains why the @Neopets Twitter account was calling the project a scam yesterday afternoon.

Read the announcement in full:

Valued Neopians,

We want to thank you all for sharing your thoughts, feedback, and concerns with us regarding the new line of NFT's created in partnership with Raydium. We understand that our recent announcement may have created more questions than answers and we want to take a moment to clarify some information about the future of NFT's and Neopets.

Q: Is this a scam? Are you really making NFTs?

A: Our partnership with Raydium, Solana, and Moonvault is legitimate! You may have seen a recent photo from Neopets stating this is a scam; this was due to an internal miscommunication error, and we sincerely apologize for any confusion this statement may have caused.

Q: "Why are NFT's more important than releasing new features?"

A: The good news is that they aren't! Please know that the NFT's in question were created by a partner company and did not impact the release schedules of the Neopets Team in any way; features and content have been developed and converted without interruption and we're excited to keep rolling out new features for the community in the future.

Q: "Why make NFTs?"

A: JumpStart is always looking for new opportunities to drive our brands and product forward into the future. We are constantly seeking new ways for players to engage with us and we see NFT's as a potential opportunity for the company in this regard. We are going to learn new things on this journey and want to encourage everyone to keep sharing their thoughts and feedback with us as we go so we can improve and adjust accordingly.

Q: "Aren't NFT's harmful to the environment?"

A: We've made an effort to partner with Raydium, a company that hosts their NFTs on Solana which strives to be a more environmentally friendly NFT solution than competitors. If you're interested in learning more about Raydium, check out their website here: https://raydium.gitbook.io/raydium/ or Solana here: https://www.solana.com

Q: "Why did an official announcement take so long?"

A: As with any partnership, there are numerous groups involved and multiple moving pieces. We apologize that an official statement took us longer than we would have liked and we will be working internally to speed this process up in the future.

We understand that our venture into NFT's may not be for all of our players, but want to reassure you all again that their development is happening independent of the support we provide to the Neopets site and players. We appreciate all of our players and value the time you've taken to share your thoughts with us. We hope you will continue to do so, and that the answers above provide a bit of clarity into the situation.

- The Neopets Team

For those who missed the introduction yesterday, the project consists of selling 20,000 NFTs (non-fungible tokens) depicting randomly customised and painted Neopets. 500 additional NFTs will be created and reserved for other purposes. You will not be able to feed the NFT Neopet, read to it, play with it, or customise the Neopet further. (What you see, is what you buy.) There are no planned or announced integrations with Neopets.com. If you plan on making a purchase, you will need to set up a digital wallet and convert some money into cryptocurrency.

Here's a sample of what some of the NFTs will look like:

The goal with these types of NFT collectible projects is to purchase them for retail price at time of release, and then either hold onto them indefinitely as a digital collectible or sell them later to those who are willing to pay more for the NFT than you did. As a reminder, the last foray into Neopet crypto collectibles ended with the cards being largely worthless and unsellable. (The marketplace to sell/trade the cards was also shut down.)

Will you be purchasing a Neopet NFT? Let us know in the comments!

herdy - JN Staff, September 23, 2021 4:29 PM NST
I would recommend anyone who dislikes this idea to send in feedback by all available channels. Tickets, editorial, board posts, offsite posts, even Netdragon emails.
1jediboy, September 23, 2021 4:41 PM NST
@Herdy - With patience and respect.

This is an absolute atrocity, that even though it doesn’t impede the production of Neopets itself, it is still an offensive topic that will drive the reputation of Neopets into the dirt.

I can’t encourage people to go on strike, as I fear that they might not come back, but I can assure that I will not be giving any money willingly to TNT until this new partnership is null and void.
candyplague, September 23, 2021 5:12 PM NST
cancelled my premium and absolutely won't be supporting them monetarily anymore unless this is stopped - definitely sending in my feedback </3
flamezeai, September 23, 2021 5:16 PM NST
I can’t believe they are for real. FIX THE SITE
stories2btold, September 23, 2021 5:16 PM NST
I think I found what might finally kill Neopets.com.
problematicperiplum, September 23, 2021 5:19 PM NST
We live in a society.
aethercrow, September 23, 2021 5:20 PM NST
androidturret, September 23, 2021 5:22 PM NST
I don't think this is worth stopping supporting the TNT over, better way to say you don't like it is follow the recommendation of herdy and send feedback as well as discourage people from buying the NFT neopets.

This is happening independently of the TNT's work and likely something they don't have a choice about themselves but corporate does. Not to mention whoever posted on the official twitter account that it was a scam clearly wasn't told about it until it was advertised.
candyplague, September 23, 2021 5:29 PM NST
idk, i think it's worth stopping support over.
if all we do is whine and do nothing that affects them, that's easier to ignore.

obviously i'm not angry at the staff who had nothing to do with this ! but monetarily supporting the website pays the people who DID decide this, too
ummy - JN Staff, September 23, 2021 5:33 PM NST
The Neopets community tends to be divisive but I'm impressed how the community has come together to denounce this. While I see the potential in NFTs for JumpStart, I think the real underlying issue here is that it seems like JS (not TNT) isn't listening on what their valued customers really want. They know we want UCs/functional site/games/KQ but it always seems far off.

IMO, this is clearly a move targeting former players and not current. They are banking on more non players wanting Neopets nfts than the small user base and honestly there's money to be made there. I see why people are upset because your users should matter most.
ummy - JN Staff, September 23, 2021 5:37 PM NST
idk, i think it's worth stopping support over.
---
The site still needs money to exist. There are plenty of guilt free ways to support the site like buying merch, NC, Premium, or the upcoming pet slots. If these are successful they wouldnt need to beg for money ftom selling NFTs.

Remember TNT did not make this decision, it was JS.
ferinsy, September 23, 2021 5:42 PM NST
Oh my, the last shovel of dirt on Neopets...
ummy - JN Staff, September 23, 2021 5:52 PM NST
Remember that Neopets isn't a charity, JS and its parent company have investors and investors like growth (which is problematic with a nostalgic property with dwindling userbase). Money that gets sunk into the mobile revamp is good long-term but it may be a loss for JS short term. It is very clear, from everything to the animated series, match 3 app, pet slots, UCs, increasing merch push, NC re-release caps, new partnerships that they are desperate for more revenue right now. I fear what may happen if the site can't get that extra cash.
fihyn, September 23, 2021 6:08 PM NST
heartbroken. sending in feedback but I don’t have much hope. I can’t believe neo has sunk this low. playing for 16 years and I may finally quit if this isn’t recalled.
blu, September 23, 2021 6:18 PM NST
"The goal with these types of NFT collectible projects is to purchase them for retail price at time of release, and then either hold onto them indefinitely or sell them later to those who are willing to pay more for the NFT than you did." Careful not to editorialize. Some people may want to buy simply to collect.
serpentshrine, September 23, 2021 6:32 PM NST
You guys are too nice with the original post though I understand not wanting the techbros to flood JN like they did the forums

Did they try that here at all? Hope ya'll are doing good <3
sp4de, September 23, 2021 6:37 PM NST
I feel stupid. Why on earth would someone actually buy one of these? Am I just old and dumb now?
dragonperrisgirl, September 23, 2021 6:47 PM NST
@sp4de No, it's JS who's old and dumb now. You're right: the NFTs themselves don't look interesting at all (why would a randomly customized pet look good? this is such a weird idea), but they're banking on the idea of the collectable market with NFTs. Like, they think people will buy them because of their "value", and that they're inherently valuable just because they're NFTs.
jaudaran, September 23, 2021 6:49 PM NST
@blu ...Isn't that exactly what holding onto them indefinitely is?
stories2btold, September 23, 2021 6:57 PM NST
...Isn't that exactly what holding onto them indefinitely is?
—-
My thoughts exactly.
dave - JN Staff, September 23, 2021 6:58 PM NST
@blu: Exactly what @jaudaran said, apologies. I'll go modify that line to be more clear:

"... and then either hold onto them indefinitely [as a digital collectible] or sell them..."
sinavarice, September 23, 2021 7:06 PM NST
That awkward moment when you take a break from Neo and this is what you come back to...
annw, September 23, 2021 7:08 PM NST
Would have rather seen them spend the money on hiring an extra person or two to fix the site so we can play games and customize easily. Will still keep playing, but extremely disappointed with the choice. It seems like the players don't support the idea, so why go on with it.....
dr_tomoe, September 23, 2021 7:30 PM NST
Wait, where did the official twitter account call it a scam?
flamezeai, September 23, 2021 7:34 PM NST
Hey TNT/JS...nty gls
novelista, September 23, 2021 7:39 PM NST
I have an NFT that I was airdropped and have never been able to sell (to my knowledge). Why the heck would I want to BUY one?
pasqui - JN Staff, September 23, 2021 7:52 PM NST
@dr_tomoe Some people had DMed the Neopets Twitter account asking whether it was legit or not, and they had responded through DM that it was a scam. These are the screenshots that had been circulating.
tyuio_k50, September 23, 2021 8:05 PM NST
Will you be purchasing a Neopet NFT?

---

surferboard_girl, September 23, 2021 8:28 PM NST
I get that JS might be desperate for cash rn but is it worth the loss that they're more likely to incur because of how much their (quite possibly dwindling) user base is annoyed with them?

They're truly just cutting off their nose to spite their face and I fully understand the growth/profit mindset, but ticking off their customer base? Yeah, probably not a great idea.
dark169, September 23, 2021 8:40 PM NST
Ew.
eggsalad, September 23, 2021 8:47 PM NST
New features... i'm still waiting for the first set of new features
bleachedalbino, September 23, 2021 8:51 PM NST
Copypaste from my on-site response: I do not want to support a company doing NFT business or promoting it. Of all the things to do, this is not what your long-standing player base wants. There is a huge disconnect happening, and it's been happening for years. This is the straw that broke the camel's back for a lot of us and we plan on hitting them where it hurts - their wallets. They'll lose a good chunk of revenue from their consistent player base in favor of a quick buck from techbros.

Cancelled my premium & will not be spending another dime.
1jediboy, September 23, 2021 9:09 PM NST
Ummy makes a good point.

Isn't there anyone we can talk to DIRECTLY to pull the plug on the NFTs without having to stop all merchandise aid?
mollyscribbles, September 23, 2021 9:19 PM NST
This is . . . incredibly stupid. Both NFTs inherently and this take on it specifically.
jen_aside, September 23, 2021 9:44 PM NST
Cancelled my membership and with great reluctance stopping all further activity on Neo, after putting a message why on my profile. Only haven't self-frozen in case they go back on the deal and also just to have the message up for a while.
kirkeyressa, September 23, 2021 10:08 PM NST
"Will you be purchasing a Neopet NFT? Let us know in the comments!"

Absolutely not!!!
pikachu315111, September 23, 2021 10:27 PM NST
Thank you Nintendo Direct for helping me come up with a proper comparable analogue:

This is as ridiculous as Chris Pratt playing Mario.
katie2510, September 23, 2021 10:38 PM NST
not only will I not get an NFT, pretty sure I'll never spend money here again if this isn't at least apologized for
samidark11, September 23, 2021 10:51 PM NST
Man, Neopets has been a special interest of mine since I was 7 years old. Now I'm 21, and I'm having to abandon it because they're speeding up the death and destruction of the planet for a quick buck. I'm heartbroken.
nobody, September 23, 2021 10:58 PM NST
What in fyora's name flipping kau dung is this?
nobody, September 23, 2021 11:03 PM NST
This needs to be illegal.
I live in a city known for always raining.
A city where the sky is always grey and air wet.
It hadn't rained since winter until yesterday.
Most of our rainforests have burned down.
HOW IS NFT/BITCOIN/ETC LEGAL?
apophis324, September 24, 2021 12:12 AM NST
Has anyone else noted the irony of TNT cancelling Charity Corner this year, only to be forced by JS to come with a "Buy Our Vague Stuff Now!" event?
So instead of asking friendly Neopians to donate items for a "good cause", they are now trying to drain our pockets. I wonder, can we buy NFT with Exploding Snowballs?
peppermint, September 24, 2021 12:41 AM NST
This moves seems a bit... Shall we say? Early? The concept of NFT's is so new and the value/demand of any of them is really up in the air. I doubt Neopet NFT's (at least the randomly generated ones) will ever be worth anything unless at some point in say, 70 years when Neo is long dead, they get revived as some retro item and some kid will inherit them from their grandpa and laugh "Wow, look at this old thing from this game my PopPop used to play! I'm going to trade it for a new hover bike!"

I think they would have more interest in the prospect of selling NFT's if they had taken a different approach and were creating something beautiful as the product offering. Neopets art or, even something similar to the old desktop wallpapers they used to release would probably spark more interest than random neopets who look like those entries in the customization contest you give 1's to.
recklesse, September 24, 2021 1:43 AM NST
----

NFT buyers are probably the same people who were cheating on Charity Corner and selling Neo stuff on the black market. Would explain TNT's reluctance to punish them for cheating.
ducky - JN Staff, September 24, 2021 1:47 AM NST
This is obviously not directed for active Neo players but cryptoplayers/believers.

Unfortunately when brand name is thrown into stuff like this, the actually players will be annoyed. It took them TWO DAYS to address anything to actual Neo players. Damage is done. It doesn't matter even if this doesn't affect Neopets as a site in anyways in their mind (outsourced, just permission to use item images) or take resources from the site itself. Damage is done, premium subscriptions lost, nc sells lost. All in desperate attemp make money with something that is bubble/a scam and is know to be HARMFUL to enviroment. It doesn't matter "it's not as bad as "... it's still bad.

It's like tobacco companies saying our products are not bad for your health. Or our product has little less of this than others.

I hope NONE of actual players of Neo goes to buy this crap. Better value is gotten with actual merch and such.

If NFTrs want to use money, so be it.

I am just....
biediep, September 24, 2021 2:46 AM NST
The more I read about this, the less sense it makes.
Definitely 1000% prefer actual physical merch. I miss when they sold collectible cards and I'd LOVE some Neopets amiibo, (they could look like RL KQ tokens ♥) especially since they were talking about possibly developing a game for the Switch. Omg how awesome would KQ for the Switch be T_T Oops, getting off-topic, lol.
jamie6254, September 24, 2021 2:59 AM NST
There are so many other ways to make cash if they need it. Like legit.... even if its like "Well supply and demand!" but.... then do "made to order" type things! like he custom window for dressing up pets! NFT's are bad! I really wish they would fix the site instead of doing the exact opposite!
corlafitte, September 24, 2021 4:54 AM NST
If neopets continues with this, it just becomes another example that they do not listen to their players/customers. It seems neopets is really throwing darts in the dark and trying to see what will stick. Neopets needs a whole new team, because the direction of the site is poopoo.
recklesse, September 24, 2021 5:12 AM NST
There's also absolutely no evidence that any money raised (and it will only be a percentage, shared with the other 'partners') will be invested into Neopets. Most likely it will just disappear into JumpStart's coffers or pushed up the line to NetDragon.
shakespeareofborg, September 24, 2021 5:36 AM NST
I won't be spending money on NFTs. I was happy to buy physical merch but then it wasn't available to the UK, the country where Neopets started... so I suspect they've lost a lot of international Neopians. I'm very fed up with the lack of post-Flash progress on the site but Neopets is my main hobby and where all my friends are, so cancelling Premium seems a bit too drastic right now.
minidriver, September 24, 2021 6:27 AM NST
Will I be buying Neopets NFTs?
Not a chance in H E double hockey sticks.

Physical merchandise? Sure, I have a bunch already.
suzuka - JN Staff, September 24, 2021 7:31 AM NST
I do feel bad for TNT, because it's likely that the decision to do this from came up the chain, so to speak, and they don't have any say. That said, it's only the latest in a string of mis-steps made by the 'Powers That Be' that seem to be aiming to milk what they can from Neo until it's dead, rather than actually improving the site to be a continuing source of engagement and revenue.
your_desired_username, September 24, 2021 7:54 AM NST
I'm still stunned they are going forward with this idea.

Yes, this project is probably from somewhere else in the company. And yes, TNT is probably watching the forest fire turn into an uncontrollable mess right now. My hunch is some market/product research manager drank way too much agency Kool-Aid on profitable projects and went all in on this idea. Now it is possibly past the point of no return where contracts have been signed and money has been allocated to see it to it's dumpster fire completion.

What IS very frustrating is how the profits from this project will most likely never be allocated back to the NT team. Their budget will probably shrink and the team will have to do more with less else face layoffs.

If they need cash, they really should upgrade the premium service and start charging benefits in tiers.
jcdiva7, September 24, 2021 8:41 AM NST
this idea sounds ridiculous and has no point whatsoever...instead of focusing on the site they are working on this?...TNT do you hate us that much?...because that is how it feels...release the extra pet slots, fix the games, and make the site better than wasting your time and energy on this senseless bit
dave - JN Staff, September 24, 2021 9:06 AM NST
Someone on the Neopets NFT Discord server is speculating that each of the 20,000 Neopet NFTs will cost 3 Sol.

As of writing, 1 Sol = $138 USD, so 1 Neopet NFT = $414.

That's insane. It's approximately 57,000 NC per NFT if you bought NC directly through the Mall.
ducky - JN Staff, September 24, 2021 9:10 AM NST
Well there are still plenty non-US players. But it's sad about current merch that shipping outside US costs so dang much that it's ridicilous to order. 10 dollar item and 30 dollars for shipping or something like that then adding 24% VAT in my case. ..Which would mean I'd pay over 50€ for 10 dollar item (I think in Euros it's about 9€ item)

Not to mention so far they've not used any pets or petpets that interest me (except slorg pin)
jitskeskywalker, September 24, 2021 9:38 AM NST
I really wanted to help keep the site alive by paying for merch. Hell, I would've bought a lot of shirts even, they're great!

Then I found out they don't ship to Europe.

Why not invest into shipping further than just the USA? I am sure there is still a group of non-American Neopets players that would've payed generously; I am not the first person to complain about this...

Why choose to sell ugly-looking NFTs before adjusting your merchandise store?! The store that actually serves a real-life purpose?
octobermoth, September 24, 2021 9:56 AM NST
"They know we want UCs/functional site/games/KQ but it always seems far off."
JumpStart don't own the rights to KQ - it is never coming back.
cobrii, September 24, 2021 9:59 AM NST
Wow just what neopets needs. Violently angering it's small remaining player base and driving them off the site for a pittance of money and massive environmental damage!
recklesse, September 24, 2021 10:27 AM NST
1 Neopet NFT = $414. *snort* that's ridiculous.

I can think of so many more productive uses for that sort of money. I hope nobody will be taken in by the hype. The NFT trading community are welcome to them.
dave - JN Staff, September 24, 2021 10:45 AM NST
@octobermoth: That's false. They own Key Quest. It was a game created by a third party that Viacom contracted with, but Neopets owns it.

The reason why it died was because when Neopets moved from Viacom to Jumpstart servers, the server software that Key Quest ran on was so old they couldn't find a copy to run on the new server.

It's only not coming back because Jumpstart has never put in the effort to do so.
biediep, September 24, 2021 10:49 AM NST
They don't ship to Europe?! WHAT.
There's a couple of things I wanted from the merch store but I can't afford to spend money on things I don't absolutely need right now. Was planning on buying some stuff hopefully next year, but they don't even ship outside of USA? Eww.

Also LMAO at the 400 bucks for some ugly random virtual image, that's almost a month's rent.
entie311, September 24, 2021 11:45 AM NST
Yes I will. I believe in Neopets and they need my money!
recklesse, September 24, 2021 12:06 PM NST
@entie, then give money to Neopets, not to some other company piggybacking off their IP.
ifloatupwards, September 24, 2021 12:08 PM NST
I for one will not be purchasing these new "things" they are trying to pawn off. Like I told them in the comment section when I canceled my premium yesterday. Why am I paying for a game when I can't even play it? Nothing works because they have not converted flash. They've had well over a year to do so and they haven't done squat. They only thing they release anymore is NC mall items. Now they are going into this new venture--when they should be focusing on their broken site!
mavegibson, September 24, 2021 12:51 PM NST
@entie311

If you really want to support Neopets you would be far better off buying $400 in NC and using it to gift random users with stuff from the mall than buying into a scam like this.
mavegibson, September 24, 2021 1:03 PM NST
I have been playing Neo for 20 years. During that time I have seen a lot of bad decisions, I've seen poor judgment and mismanagement, and I've even had a couple of 'outrage' moments where I nearly quit (primarily with the buggy customization system and the item limits in closets - selling NC items that we can't easily access for our pets), but this BY FAR takes the cake for me. This is something I would actually, seriously walk away from Neopets forever over.

For people who aren't aware - this NFT market is

a] New and untested. There is not yet any evidence that these NFTs are anything other than an embarrassing fad. It's highly unlikely that most of these NFTs will ever retain any value whatsoever over the long term.
b] Shady in the extreme - a scam that doesn't even really pretend to be anything other than a scam. A way for unscrupulous people to take advantage of the public's naivete and greed.
c] HIGHLY environmentally destructive for reasons to complex to try to explain here. There are some good articles online that go into detail on why. Suffice it to say, they are part of a digital realm connected to cryptocurrencies, etc. that pointlessly consume enormous, enormous amounts of electricity and contribute massively to greenhouse gas emissions.

I agree with Dave - we have to act now to try to show Neo how bad this is. Not just for our own sake because they're doing something we dislike, but for the sake of the site because this decision is an existential threat to Neo. People WILL abandon and boycott over this. The resulting revenue loss could be a final nail in the coffin for Neo, and it's pretty blatantly obvious they are really struggling already as it is.
libra, September 24, 2021 2:08 PM NST
this is so embarrassing. i get why everyone here is afraid that this will be the final nail in the coffin for neopets- but TNT hand-built that coffin for themselves. if this kills the site it'll be well-deserved even if it does suck for us, the players, but if you haven't been prepared for this eventuality since flash EOL you've been living in denial. JS has had **every** opportunity to capitalize on neopets nostalgia in ways that don't literally poison the earth and they chose to do this instead. neopets isn't a charity, yeah, but it's a business, and businesses fail when they make terrible decisions and actively alienate their customers.
libra, September 24, 2021 2:14 PM NST
"neopets is a business" so boycotting this by cancelling premium and stopping NC purchases is the exact correct response. that's how you make businesses hear you, because obviously they're ignoring the feedback on the boards and twitter. you all have stockholm syndrome
sacanth, September 24, 2021 2:30 PM NST
My thought about NFTs: I hope Disaster Girl and Side-eye Chloe make ALL THE MONEY off the virtual representation of their virtual selves. They deserve it; they didn't ask to be little and cute and the pure, beating heart of a generation. JS? not just no but hell no
pigfish99, September 24, 2021 4:22 PM NST
this is a pump and dump scam.

Netdragon is trying to wring out every last cent out of neopets before destroying it.
nobody, September 24, 2021 7:12 PM NST
Holy hell. Has anyone seen THAT petpage about the history behind who's doing the neopets NFT?

I... Does anyone want to unpack that and post the major points (it's neo content but nsfw so needs to be phrased a bit carefully)?
nobody, September 24, 2021 7:17 PM NST
It's NOT jellyneo's job, but, like, I'm kinda wondering who we can rely on, sorry!
trisangum, September 24, 2021 7:55 PM NST
I still have no clue what is an NFT...
tycooncorb, September 24, 2021 8:04 PM NST
People running Neopets are truly a clueless bunch.

Amazing if they only listened to their customers as well as worked on the site properly years ago how they could have continued making this site for years to come.

Truly pathetic to see them just do blatant cash grabs and not even work on modernizing the site, well they should have done that years ago already but.
tycooncorb, September 24, 2021 8:08 PM NST
Also I do really appreciate the note in this JN story the last attempt at these NFT's. Really makes me as a customer want to just give my money away for something which will probably also be shut down.

It just bewilders me how this company truly treats it's customers like the dumbest people in the world lol.
nobody, September 24, 2021 8:19 PM NST
I feel really awkward right now because with TNT being unreliable we don't have any 'official' way to check neopets related news and background. Jellyneo is supposed to be a fansite with helpful game related content, yet my immediate instinct when reading this shady history neopets is involved in was to come here, even though it hasn't anything to do with Jellyneo's purpose. :/
cay, September 24, 2021 8:24 PM NST
I have no plans to buy NFT I'm so dissapointed in Neo's decision.
twistedlittledreamer, September 24, 2021 8:25 PM NST
I won't be buying them from everything I've read, it sounds like it failed the first time, so why try it again? It also sounds like that this is a JS decision and not a TNT decision (hence the twitter confusion) but they really need to get the site updated and fixed before starting on anything else. I belong to a small group of friends and family who play on this side, and most of us agree that it needs to be updated drastically.
winterland, September 24, 2021 8:27 PM NST
"...so boycotting this by cancelling premium and stopping NC purchases is the exact correct response"

What worries me its that, some executive that doesnt know nothing about neopets will see this kind of post/feedback about cancelling premium/nc purchases, and will think that this site doesnt worth it for the problematic playerbase.

Im okay with giving feedback, and if you want to cancel your premium over that its okay. But dont try to romanticize the idea and posting it non-chalanty as if others should do this.

In business, if you dont have sales, you look for other places where you can do money, and theres a limit of how much someone will tolerate not having enough profit. This kind of idea its way more harmfull than you think it is.

On the other hand... JS must be a bit desperate to made profit from neo. Its either, the company its going throught bad times or they already decided when to shutdown neo and are milking it.

The best we can do its not buying any NFTs, but stopping giving money to a business that needs money, its the fastest step to made them close the site or keep making harsh decisions.
queen_megs, September 24, 2021 9:19 PM NST
I'm also disappointed with Neo's decision about this. Wish they would just invest in the website now to build up a strong/loyal userbase again to (hopefully) generate revenue long-term. They seem to be doing everything else -- app games, merch stores, now NFTs, etc., all with varying degrees of success (very much throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks!) -- instead of the main property/site.

@nobody: what's the petpage with the history about the NFT company?
apophis324, September 25, 2021 2:01 AM NST
In the midst of all this we'd almost forget to check out the results of the annual Gormball championships! Buuut.. don't bother. They made a very stupid mistake writing that down this year. Just another disappointment...
ummy - JN Staff, September 25, 2021 6:10 AM NST
Our cryptocard April Fool's joke isn't so funny anymore...
mortos, September 25, 2021 7:02 AM NST
didn't want to post this on neo and get Murdered but I was checking on of the illegit neo sites to see if there was an uptick in shell sales. there wasn't really anything to publically see except.... an account that was created at the end of july (when a lot of the side bunisesses for this nft thing we're supposedly made) and that account has 0 activity besides postingthis week about wanting to buy shells

which at best shows that some of the people arguing for nfts on the boards have a really really strong financial motive for it
leo_star20, September 25, 2021 7:25 AM NST
The whole "This is a scam" from actual Neopets accounts on Twitter... I take this that the decision was made and there was incredibly poor communication from the top down about it. Hopefully this is a wakeup call to management that they need to improve their communication structure and it won't happen again. You can apoloogise a few days later, however the damage to the image is already done. This on top of the whole NFT topic as well...
macosten - JN Staff, September 25, 2021 9:35 AM NST
I'm really enjoying watching them twist the knife in the back of the site and community while having NFT people continually insult our intelligence and gaslight us... while asking for a collaboration with an NSFW brand. Yep. I'm definitely a fan, and not at all incandescently aggrieved on the inside.
thecrazyoo, September 25, 2021 11:09 AM NST
Well, I'm disappointed but not surprised.
Bold move JumpStart, you can count me out of this sinking ship
nobody, September 25, 2021 11:20 AM NST
@queen_megs The petpage keeps moving as it gets wiped. Last I saw it was on NFTurd.

(JN mods delete this post if the content of that page discussing the NSFW NFT company background is too inapropriate, sorry.)
mavegibson, September 25, 2021 11:52 AM NST
Shady shady shady. I really feel this is a huge sign Neo is not long for this world. Not just because of the inevitable boycotts, but because of the disastrously poor judgment of JS.

@winterland - How to phrase this politely... That is not how business works. Businesses don't care a whit about 'problematic userbases' (whatever that means). All businesses exist to make money. Have you ever heard of the very common idiom 'customers vote with their wallets'? Yeah - boycotts and subscription cancellations and so forth are the standard way customers have been protesting bad business decisions since time out of mind.

"Not having enough profit" is _the_entire_point_ of boycotts and cancellations. If enough financial pressure is placed upon a company, customers can force businesses to reverse their decisions. And this isn't just about a decision that users dislike because it harms Neo, or harms users. This is about a decision that harms the planet.

I hate to break it to you, but I think we need to accept that a company that is getting into bed with people this shady, and that has judgment that is this poor, does not have our best interests at heart. I think any 'loyalty' is misguided.
tycooncorb, September 25, 2021 1:54 PM NST
@nobody Thank you for that, it does appear there is some extremely shady business practices going on, now under the guise of a children's pet site.

With that information in hand I think people need to take a look at this site as a whole now and who owns it. Behind the site there is probably not only shady business happening but even illegal.

I think somebody needs to even take a deeper dive into all of this, somebody with the resources and time...this isn't normal and seems planned to outright take money. Perhaps poor TNT is employed to keep the guise going it might seem but something is definitely very wrong.
piefly, September 25, 2021 2:26 PM NST
the expressions of the examples portray our feelings exactly: disappointed and pissed off
briezymunester, September 25, 2021 4:44 PM NST
I lost faith in tnt ages ago. Just when I thought that I could make it work they screwed me over again. I'm not surprised in the least. This is why I moved over to Wajas, a much better site.
queen_megs, September 25, 2021 8:39 PM NST
@nobody: Thanks! And wowww. I had no idea about any of that.
winterland, September 25, 2021 10:16 PM NST
@gibson: how to phrase this politely...

You know what I mean with problematic users.

Its simple, and as I said at the beggining: some executive who doesnt know anything about neo will see the drop in the sales, and will wrongly think that neo doesnt worth it anymore.

You said it: a business its to make money, what will happen when said business doesnt give any profit?

The best way to handle this its to give your feedback in all ways you can and ignore this nft nonsense.

Stopping nc purchases/premium would surely work if Neopets where a small company, or even if it was owned by JS alone, but with netdragon on the play probably some executive at Netdragon will see this and just drop it, the bigger the complany the easier its to made mistakes.

Also, a decision that affects the planet? dont need to be overdramatic.all this bitcoin mining do way more harm, yet way more people than the neopets playerbase buys them. I expect you never spend money on any crypto then.
recklesse, September 25, 2021 11:53 PM NST
-----

Only if they are too unobservant to see that the drop followed immediately from the announcement about NFTs. In which case they aren't very good at their job.
thecrazyoo, September 26, 2021 5:03 AM NST
@winterland
I never spent or will spend a dime on NFTs, but I did some research and I learned it needs computers processing information 24/7 for it to work, which spend enough energy to run a small country. And for what? The big problem is NFTs aren't a real product, it's a nonsense digital product that is only bought when people expect its artificial value to increase (which sounds a lot like a scam to me). You could make an argument that neopets players spend money on neocash for example, but the NC mall doesn't have a significant environmental impact for no reason, like NFTs do.

Also, if players continue to buy neopets products the same, and they make some money with this NFT nonsense like they will definitely do (because some people will buy it nonetheless), then why would they not continue to do it? If the clients don't agree with a practice from a company, the only thing they can do to pressure it is to stop consuming any of their products altogether.
themeepit32, September 26, 2021 5:06 AM NST
what we should do is buy what we support and let the NFT die in the hole they crawled out of, rather just saying "It's too late" speak with your wallet, if NFT don't make money, they stop making NFTs
thecrazyoo, September 26, 2021 5:06 AM NST
Also why is no one talking about that this is a game for kids? I know a lot of people argue that most players aren't kids (and I agree), but neopets products were always aimed for kids, it's very much a family friendly website.

Should kids really be messing around with NFTs???
recklesse, September 26, 2021 5:56 AM NST
if NFT don't make money, they stop making NFTs
-----

The crypto NFT fans will buy them and they will make money. Those people will then try to sell them on to inexperienced Neopets fans at a profit, possibly with promises of it being a good investment, or something that will open up a new type of gaming experience or 'metaverse' (it won't). When the bubble bursts (as it invariably does), those chumps will be left without a shirt. Meanwhile, this money the new company has raked off at the top is unlikely to be funnelled anywhere near the Neopets site and we'll still be waiting on those pet slots/UCs/game conversions. And the Neopets population will shrink still further.
claytonskitten, September 26, 2021 7:02 AM NST
I haven't bought NC in ages, and was considering it for pet slots/UCs... but now, NOPE. This is a horrible idea on all sides. I'll continue to play Neopets as I truly enjoy the nostalgia and chatting with the friends I've made on the boards, but that's it. They'll not be getting a single dime from me in NC, merch, or any other purchases.
ummy - JN Staff, September 26, 2021 7:12 AM NST
^If we don't support Neopets financially by purchasing things we actually want and enjoy, we'll end up with more cash grabs like these, or without a website at worst.

Let's not punish TNT who is listening to the community and wanting to bring us more pet slots and UCs because higher ups brought this upon them.
ummy - JN Staff, September 26, 2021 7:16 AM NST
Neopets is actually less monetized than a lot of other kids games and even Petpetpark. We don't need to buy NC to participate in plots or visit worlds, we can't buy NP from players, or need to buy gems to keep playing games. I'd prefer it stay this way.
winterland, September 26, 2021 10:31 AM NST
@reck: "In which case they aren't very good at their job"
Jaja if they where good at their job we wouldnt had this nft "stuff" (for say it politely) xD They should had come with other products in their shop or with a way to ship their products to more places. Personally I would buy some cards if available in my country. What neo needs its to fix the site asap and start with a marketing process, this people (Im not talking about TNT) either, doesnt see this or simply dont care.
TBH, if the site would had been this broken when I first started Im not sure if I would had liked it.

@crazy: Yep, bitcoin do way more damage. Im not supporting NFT's. But bringing up the argument that it "affects the planet" its a bit overdramatic here, even if we all buy this stuff it wouldnt be as bad as a few weeks of bitcoin mining. And it wont stop for the time being.

ummy: exactly my point. TNT its trying to do their jobs here. Problem are their bosses.
I didnt thought about using NC for plots... I wouldnt be surprised if they come up with this while trying to made some profit. The argument that "neopets will be always free" its from a whole different era.
nobody, September 26, 2021 10:55 AM NST
I hope we at least hear some sort of feedback from TNT and an apology of some kind. I might be willing to support the site if they would at least admit that it's horrible and apologize if they're not able to stop the NFT production or do anything about it due to higher ups. Them just being silent over it and especially showing support is DISGUSTING.
mavegibson, September 26, 2021 11:15 AM NST
@winterland Actually, no I don't know what you mean by 'problematic users' in this context. Why else would I say so?

With all due respect, have you ever had any experience in business? It doesn't seem like you have. The perspective you have on how decision-making is done is simply incorrect.

A drop in profits will always lead to an analysis of why, but even if they were too stupid or too busy to do a proper analysis, there really is no mystery as to why the drop in profits in this case. Unsubscribes and boycotts are accompanied by user feedback via every possible means of communication, explaining WHY they are withdrawing their support. Plus, as @recklesse pointed out - they would be pretty bad at their job if they didn't notice the sharp drop in profits coincides directly with the announcement about NFTs.

As for being 'dramatic' - I'm simply stating the facts about NFTs. You can throw whatever bias you want onto the value of the information, but it doesn't change the fact that it's true. Just because it's 'not as bad as bitcoin', doesn't make it somehow OK. Experts across the globe have been raising the alarm about them, so the concern isn't imaginary or insignificant. Just because a new offshore oil rig isn't as bad as the Athabasca tar sands, that doesn't suddenly make it OK to fire up a new rig.

And no, I don't buy crypto and never will. I view all of this sort of thing as highly unethical and environmentally irresponsible.

@ummy By that logic, we should never push for change. There's always someone 'just doing their job' who will be impacted by protests. By showing Neo that we won't support this type of garbage, they should clue in that cash grabs aren't the way to go.

Urging people to financially support a company that is doing something they strongly object to, and trying to make it seem somehow unethical or wrong to withdraw support for something one disagrees with... I will just say that's a position I cannot understand or respect.
sasquatch253, September 26, 2021 6:56 PM NST
Only way they will listen is to hit them where it hurts, in their pockets. Cancel your premium membership, like I did and don't buy any NCs.
winterland, September 26, 2021 8:09 PM NST
@mave Well, you should read all this "stop buying premium" to get an idea.

Also, you are missing one important point: context. How many business have failed because people who didnt knew how to manage them made mistakes? Its a bit bold to think that these people at netdragon knows what they are doing. I said it before and I say it again: if neopets would be its own owner it would made all the sense in the world. At some point with JS would made sense as well. But with Netdragon on the table? it changes everything. Come on, even neopets twitter thought it was a scam. That can give you an idea of the miscomunication problems there.

No profit = not reason to keep a business running.
Without premium/nc this people probably will do even more harsh decisions, this NFT nonsense seems like a desperate way to made money, I wouldnt be surprised if next step its to shut down the page.

But dont worry, its okay for you to be wrong, as long you learn about your mistakes.

Its funny that you talk about "bias".
When I said that it was "somehow ok"? Please, tell me. I said that you are overdramatic with this. I congratulate you for not using crypto since it goes against your own values. Phones, cars and computers affects the planet as well, but here you are. The enviromental impact that NFTS of neopets alone gives to the planet its almost none when you compare it with all this, So making neopets look like a business that doesnt care about the planet, its not a valid argument tbf. Of course, im not encouraging their use as well.

Its okay that you stop using premium/nc, but dont romantizice this idea and expect others to do the same. That was the argument I made in my very first comment.

I speak for me, but tbh I doubt that anyone cares if you understand or respect them or not.
ziiaru, September 26, 2021 10:00 PM NST
I already yelled on Twitter directly at the Neopets accounts about how absurd this whole NFT thing is. I was going to write a lot more here about how ridiculous it is to argue for not boycotting purchases on the main website due to the fear of it potentially closing afterward. I think it suffices to say that it tends to be a huge problem with petsites, in general, that once management heads down a certain path and shows no desire to alter course, you absolutely need to move on. You can't just keep throwing money at a sinking ship because you're optimistic that the powers that be will randomly decide to listen to you one day. They almost never do.

I just...think the decisions have already been made. There's not much any of us can do about it. If it finally breaks the site, it breaks the site. That's how it has to be. There are all kinds of things that could have been done differently over the several years, but none of them were pursued. That speaks volumes.

Maybe I'm just getting older, but game companies that actively ignore, exploit, and/or punish their players aren't worth my time/energy any more.
sweetadeline, September 27, 2021 7:06 AM NST
@winterland

"Phones, cars and computers affects the planet as well, but here you are."

Yeah, sadly - those are actually necessary for life and work so the two aren't comparable. You're condescending and rude, and because you want to defend this stupid website? Maybe go touch grass.
cay, September 27, 2021 7:28 AM NST
I have a random idea. Is there a way we can turn all our pets into cogs? It'd be a real shame for NFT not to happen if they see the pets as cogs or invisible!
apophis324, September 27, 2021 8:33 AM NST
Oh imagine that, getting an invisible pet for your NFT.
"Hey honey, what was this big expense of last month?"
Oh, I bought some Neopets NFT.
"Ah, neat, can I see?"
Sure, here you go. One red square ^ -^

-Also, people, let's be kind to one another, no matter the opinion ^ u^
woodenclaw, September 27, 2021 11:34 AM NST
not financially supporting the site for now and also not logging in. extremely disappointed
kaimactrash, September 27, 2021 12:57 PM NST
TNT saying their NFTs are "more environmentally friendly" is like Shell saying their oil is "more environmentally friendly" than other compares. If it's not environmentally friendly, it's not damaging the environment to any degree, to buy images of Neopets. it's nonsense.
thecrazyoo, September 27, 2021 3:56 PM NST
Guys, let's keep the dicussion at a respectful level please

This is reason enough for me to not spend any money on the site and even stop logging in on my account at all. I completely understand if it's not the case for other people because they still want to support the site, each with their own opinion.

I do think that if there's a drop in NC/premium sales right now they'd definitely realise it's because of the NFT drama and could potentially stop with this. That said, I've been so disappointed with the site in the last year I don't expect it to be cancelled or eventually apologized for, and to be honest I think I'd rather see Neopets close its doors than turn into this kind of scammy crash grab. It breaks my heart to see this kind of thing happening after over 15 years of caring about this site.
ricktick605, September 27, 2021 4:37 PM NST
The real question is, why is JumpStart trying to catch old players instead of you know, growing the base where it once was? Wouldn't it be smarter to get more kids playing than trying to chase after people who might come back for a few days and leave again?
mavegibson, September 27, 2021 5:27 PM NST
@winterland - If you can't discuss things civilly, then you probably need a break from the computer. Aside from just being rude, you're also being disingenuous, attempting to characterize my position as being entirely about the environment when I've stated many reasons I am against NFTs besides the environment.

As for the tired old "You're online so how can you claim to be environmentally responsible" argument, the fact that we can't participate meaningfully in society without participating in the fossil fuel economy is an argument for taking more - and broader - action. Not less.

If you find the idea of boycotting NC and Premium 'romantic', that's your own perspective. Don't project it onto me. I'm talking about pragmatic action, here.

If Neopets fails and is shut down, it will not be because of players boycotting NC and premium over the NFT issue, it will be because of years of disastrous mismanagement. Just go take a quick browse around the patchwork, partially mobile, partially legacy site that is riddled with bugs if you want to witness a living metaphor for that mismanagement. Just take a trip down memory lane to the last couple of site events.

To @ummy and those who are fearful of what will happen if enough people stop giving money to Neo, I understand your concern, but look at it on the flipside: you can't seriously expect people to keep pumping money into a company whose business practices are looking increasingly shady, and whose judgment is looking increasingly unsound. Especially when we object so strongly to their choice to take on NFTs. There's an old saying about 'throwing good money after bad' that comes to mind here...
nobody, September 27, 2021 7:45 PM NST
THIS
winterland, September 27, 2021 8:13 PM NST
@mave:
Rude, seriously? Read your own comments, please. If you treat me nicely, Ill do the same. If you are rude with me, Ill do the same. Its really simple. You dont have any right to complain there tbf. Not sure why you are telling me that you mentioned other reasons to be against NFTs, I think that one of the few things we all agree here its that NFTs are a mistake.

I think you missed the point here, the environmental impact that neopets do with all this, isnt worth of mentioning as the time being, but when people wants to complain, they will use everything they can, only for the sake of complaining, even if they need to be over dramatic. If NetDragon would had taking good actions towards the site, even if the environmental impact of those actions would had been worse, I bet almost no one would say anything. You are right about fossil energy, keep going taking your own actions!

Yep, "romantic" since I need to control my language here, in order for not being "rude" And nope, you are not talking pragmatic actions here, I already told you why, but hey! its true when they say "do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you", no one its "projecting" anything onto you. I said, and I repeat my self (again), if you want to do that, its okay, but dont say or expect others to do the same. It will backfire onto us all.

But I must agree with you about the mismanagement (I highly doubt anyone wouldnt agree tbh), its truly a shame, though its to be expected, the site changed owners way more than it should. Between Adam, Viacom, JS and now NetDragon. Everyone had their own ideas (that may or may not had been good, I still remember that old game in facebook), and we started almost from scratch after Viacom. It took a very big effort to made this site become this broken, and thats what mades me kinda sad.
Same as a lot of people here, I had been 15 years in neo, come on, a nephew of a friend of mine basically have the same
apophis324, September 27, 2021 11:18 PM NST
@winterland: Sorry to interject, I'm not butting in to this discussion, but if you want to make sure you're not perceived as rude, could you at least take the time to write mavegibson's name out in full?

In any case, everyone here seems to agree: NFTs are bad, Neopets is being mismanaged and we are all just bystanders watching our beloved escape-from-life go up in flames.
dave - JN Staff, September 28, 2021 10:43 AM NST
Hey all--I know we're charged up about this. But we're all Neopians here, and we should be commenting respectfully to each other. Please keep this in mind.
mavegibson, September 28, 2021 11:08 AM NST
@winterland - If you want to be sure you're not coming across as rude, then double-check that everything you are saying is _about_the_topic_at_hand_ rather than about other people and who you think they are, what you think their motives, thoughts and values are, etc.
problematicperiplum, September 28, 2021 3:51 PM NST
When was the last time a news report here got over 100 comments?
yllaille, September 28, 2021 7:08 PM NST
This is one of the most -blocked- things I've ever seen. I had no idea people were buying stupid crap like tweets and gifs. This whole NFT business reeks of money laundering/selling access. I don't think that's the case with Neopets because the price point is too low, and it's, you know, *Neopets*, but it's still really sleazy.
anomally, September 29, 2021 3:02 PM NST
I'll never understand people wanting to collect digital things that could easily be taken away from them (hacking, the company doing it because technically the consumer only "kind of" owns it, etc.). I do understand that physical things can be taken as well, but at least you can touch them. (Just my own opinion).

I am 100% most annoyed with the environmental impact, but to encourage such things even if it didn't have any is just nonsense. And since these are randomly outfitted then the point is to collect... Neopets that look worse than those in Fashion Fever?

We need to make sure that none of us buys any of these and that we do not encourage the buying and selling of these. They can only create value if there is a demand.
parody_ham, September 30, 2021 6:16 PM NST
Ah, who on God's green Earth would want to pay for the neopets shown at the top? And beyond this, who would want to pay *more* than the original buyer? Reeks of a timeshare scam to me. "Invest in this thing you totally need and then resell it for big money" when in actuality, nobody wants to buy it from you and you're forced to pay someone to take it away so you're not stuck with the annual fees. Not exactly the same thing, but it has the same feel to it.
recklesse, October 1, 2021 6:00 AM NST
It's very much like the sort of caper companies pull after they've had the Management Consultants in and they want to impress the higher ups.
uber_ruth, October 1, 2021 10:39 AM NST
I've been playing for 20 years, with small breaks, and I am going to buy an NFT. I don't want to get into a discussion why and why not - it's something I wish to collect. There is a newly rising community of old-time returning players who look to buy this for nostalgia purposes as well. Yes, I have a lot of criticism towards JS for many things, including the poorly skilled mod or the DTI images and many other actions they took during this launch and in general on neopets.com, and yet I still want to participate. I feel like I can make a change from within, slowly but surly. I've gotten so much hate NM and bullied on the boards and off-site, it's crazy. We're all adults and we all want the best for the website, I hope the two communities (which I am part of both of them) find a bridge and a way to understand each other and co-exist peacefully.
ariesrulez, October 1, 2021 2:48 PM NST
What exactly is this that everyone is against? I do not understand...
thecrazyoo, October 1, 2021 5:09 PM NST
I don't understand anyone wanting to buy this to collect, it's such a weird thing, to collect a randomly generated (ugly) virtual image lol
But saying it's about supporting the site, "making a change", that's even worse because I can't imagine how bad this website would be if it got its money mainly through things like NFTs - that would be a terrible change for Neopets
libra, October 2, 2021 2:55 PM NST
sorry, can't get behind "we might not have a site anymore" as an excuse to not boycott when THE ENVIRONMENT is what's at stake here. like, zoom out a little. why would you WANT the site to stick around if they're going to have such disregard for their users and the planet they live one? how incredibly selfish and myopic a stance to take on this, Ummy.
libra, October 2, 2021 2:59 PM NST
have any TNTers ACTUALLY spoken out about this, or are you all projecting your affection for the brand onto them? and if they don't feel secure in doing so, the work environment must be as miserable and toxic as the rumors suggest. why would any of you want that to continue? all of this has impacts beyond your own personal enjoyment of neopets dot com and it is ridiculous and childish to discuss it as though that's all that matters.
bsc9999, October 6, 2021 5:15 AM NST
This becomes more and more of a mess every day. Every time I check in for new updates it’s somehow always worse than the update before it. Not only do NFTs suck, it’s also causing drama and unrest among users. It’s just so not worth it at this point, but I feel like they’re going to do a “sunk cost” thing and keep going with it even though we all hate it, just because they’ve already put so much into it.