Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!
Take a tour of the entire planet of Neopia.
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!

Neopets NFTs Return
  • Posted on September 22, 2021, 10:23 am NST

Announced today via a press release, Neopets will soon be launching another delve into the world of cryptocurrencies with the contentious technology of Non-Fungible Tokens, or NFTs.

Known as the Neopets Metaverse, this project will be launching on the Raydium storefront, slated for next month. This store uses the Solana cryptocurrency. According to the press release, 20,500 NFTs will initially be released, featuring default customised Neopets which vary by species, colour, gender, hat, clothing, and another presently unknown factor. Although details are scarce at this stage, it seems likely that these factors will be randomly assigned when you purchase the NFT. Some examples of NFTs shown are:

You may remember that a few years back Neopets released a similar project using blockchain technology known as Neopets Cryptoquest. At this stage, it does not appear to be releated (and is using a different cryptocurrency). You may also remember that JN's own April Fool's prank this year featured a similar idea.

For those unaware, NFTs are a form of digital merchandise. You buy a blockchain-backed representation of artwork that is unique. However, what you are buying is the NFT - you hold no ownership of the artwork itself. You are then free to resell this NFT if you wish to do so, or you can keep it forever.

bolimdechuva, September 22, 2021 10:24 AM NST
oh god
creamy, September 22, 2021 10:24 AM NST
ugh
herdy - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 10:27 AM NST
Not mentioning that NFTs have a significant environmental impact.
rawrelai, September 22, 2021 10:29 AM NST
πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ
mhoffmann, September 22, 2021 10:32 AM NST
right after the premium sale too... stonks
dave - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 10:34 AM NST
πŸ—‘πŸ”₯πŸ—‘πŸ”₯πŸ—‘πŸ”₯πŸ—‘πŸ”₯πŸ—‘πŸ”₯πŸ—‘πŸ”₯πŸ—‘πŸ”₯πŸ—‘πŸ”₯πŸ—‘πŸ”₯πŸ—‘πŸ”₯πŸ—‘πŸ”₯πŸ—‘

Absolute trash partnership.

I'd recommend not buying into this scam--you own nothing of value, and the artwork is randomly generated trash. Go customise your Neopets on Neopets.com instead.
cheetah, September 22, 2021 10:37 AM NST
please tell me this is a joke
dave - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 10:42 AM NST
Also, as a reminder, the *last* time Neopets engaged in an NFT pyramid scheme (CryptoQuest), the whole program ended quietly, went offline, and anything you bought in that program is now worthless.
problematicperiplum, September 22, 2021 10:46 AM NST
Now's a good time to reconsider my decision to keep living life.
inkpot, September 22, 2021 10:49 AM NST
i just don't understand where they got the idea that this community would want this, let alone welcome it with open arms... i am baffled...

i guess they are really just out there throwing around ANY idea--welcoming any partnership--to see what sticks...

so surreal... like an elaborate, leaked, 2022 april fools joke.
1jediboy, September 22, 2021 10:52 AM NST
How do we put a stop to this before it gets any farther?
eggsalad, September 22, 2021 10:59 AM NST
garbage
premium17, September 22, 2021 10:59 AM NST
JS has proved time after time they do not care or understand the users.
macosten - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 11:13 AM NST
Well, well, well; NFTNT once again proves they don't know what they're doing. I see we're not particularly close to having competent overlords of this brand/IP.
9feels, September 22, 2021 11:18 AM NST
I'm living for the JN staff roasting this decision in the comments
dave - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 11:23 AM NST
@9feels: There's a reason why crypto-cards was our April Fool's prank this year.
herdy - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 11:23 AM NST
Seriously I would encourage you, if you don't think this is a great idea, to make your voice heard through official Neopets channels. If there isn't extreme pushback on this, it will continue.
1jediboy, September 22, 2021 11:35 AM NST
Thank you, Herdy.
kirkeyressa, September 22, 2021 11:42 AM NST
imagine how tired we are... like, tnt, literally just make figurines of the dozens upon dozens of cool characters you have...
ducky - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 11:47 AM NST
Scam scam scam scam.

DUCKY IS ANGRY

Don't go with this, let them know this is bad, horrible idea and maybe they can still back down.

Like the last one went so dang well that we shall do it again! Someone in the high position must be deep in cryptoscene to do this... again. And fail. Again.

Oh ye, let's not concentrate our resources and thinking to main site and how we get it alive again. Let's do this thing that will cost players money and they get nothing for their money. Except awful pixels for awhile.
sliced_ramen, September 22, 2021 11:51 AM NST
I hate this so much.
twood, September 22, 2021 11:55 AM NST
bruh
sircabbage - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 11:55 AM NST
This plan is disgusting and proves just how little jumpstart understands us as a fan community. Please, no one support this,
biediep, September 22, 2021 11:55 AM NST
I read the whole post twice and still don't understand any of it except for the part where I don't wanna have anything to do with this.
i_love_latin - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 12:03 PM NST
I just don't understand why they want us to buy virtual pets that we didn't name, paint, or customize. Yes, JumpStart, I'd love to pay real money for less product...?
ducky - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 12:04 PM NST
I read the whole post twice and still don't understand any of it
You buy imaginery stuff and pretend and lie to yourself that one day it could make you rich (no it does not, it only makes these ntf scammers richer) and then see everything disappear to internetvoid. Your ugly image of badly customised pet and your real life money.
9feels, September 22, 2021 12:05 PM NST
NFTs are incredible - you pay for a code attached to an image and the image isn't even yours. It's so stupid, hilarious, and evil, in a way I wish I'd thought of it. But then if I had, I never would have believed people would buy them.
gordy_777, September 22, 2021 12:06 PM NST
Oh hey, looks like I'm not the only one that hates this.

I was wondering and sort of dreading if JumpStart would ever get in on this craze. I mean, it feels *slightly* more warranted for a site where everything is digital, but that doesn't excuse the fact that NFTs are a waste of everyone's time. Glad I don't give the site any money nowadays.
terrih, September 22, 2021 12:08 PM NST
Trying to squeeze blood from a turnip, aren't they? If they invested half as much energy into fixing the site as they do pushing merch I would have hope for Neo's future. As it is now? Not so much.
bleachedalbino, September 22, 2021 12:17 PM NST
What an incredibly stupid venture. Instead of fixing problems within the site, let's introduce NFTs! Guess we're going to continue sweeping the mobile conversion, https, lack of 2FA, under the rug.

Put your money where your mouth is - stop buying NC, stop your Premium.
flamezeai, September 22, 2021 12:18 PM NST
Is this for real.......
sabriogando, September 22, 2021 12:19 PM NST
I saw this elsewhere and thought it was a joke
pls say it's a joke
there's still plenty of time to say syke
ilovedachshunds, September 22, 2021 1:18 PM NST
Simple: No one buys (because it's a waste of money), and it is discontinued as a result. I don't think it will be around for long. Just go customize a Neopet to your liking on DTI or the JN Wardrobe... for free.
rynneer, September 22, 2021 1:31 PM NST
I'm most pissed off about the environmental implications of this... just... why????
rynneer, September 22, 2021 1:32 PM NST
smh all i wanted was to enjoy some childhood nostalgia
el_arakeuh, September 22, 2021 1:43 PM NST
Looks like a scam, sounds like a scam, feels like a scam … so it’s probably a scam.
ummy - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 2:08 PM NST
NFTs could work, though its not the best idea right now for many reasons, but this doesn't look like it's it.
ummy - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 2:10 PM NST
It seems to me if you want to own a customised pet, you could, you know...customise a Neopet. It seems much more fun to just buy NC than navigate the complexities of NFTs.
contessa, September 22, 2021 2:22 PM NST
I agree!!! This sounds like a SCAM!!!
contessa, September 22, 2021 2:24 PM NST
I doubt it, but I sincerely hope that TNT reads this stuff over here on JN
bonju, September 22, 2021 2:30 PM NST
The fact they're so ugly too 😭
pikachu315111, September 22, 2021 3:23 PM NST
Why? What's the point? Neopets is ALREADY A VIRTUAL PET SITE. If I wanted a virtual Neopet to look at I'd go onto the site, create one, paint it, and dress it up. And not only can I do that, I can choose which Neopet, Colour, and clothes to have it wear! I could dress it up like the NFT if I wanted to as they're using the default poses & customization tool to make them!

"But you can only own # of Neopets (I forgot how many now)."

True, but after I get them I can then train them, do activities on the site with them, and if I was a creative sort write stories and draw pictures of them. They're not just a picture I can just create using JN's Wardrobe, they're my virtual pet. And also I can look at other players Neopets and see what they did with them, and it would be a thousand times more interesting than the NFT customs if those examples are anything to go by.

Stupid, so STUPID. Hey, JS, you want to sell Tokens? FIX/REMAKE KEYQUEST! You know, that game many players are demanding to come back. Instead of partnering with these NFT clowns hire someone to make KQ and create Tokens based on site characters to sell. Habitarium had microtransactions, notably PPP Paintbrushes, remake Habitarium and make more PPPbrushes to sell. And I can probably think a dozen of other things you could potentially do to help make you money that isn't this scam which:

1. Is harmful to the environment.
2. Bubble has already burst.
3. Is going to fail just like Cryptoquest because barely anyone (I would hope none but I'm sure some will) is going to want to buy a gif of a Neopet they could easily recreate on the site. And no, even if you look through the image database and chose more fancier artwork no one would purchase it cause NFT IS A STUPID HARMFUL SCAM AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT!
chanty, September 22, 2021 3:27 PM NST
TNT being a joke as always.
dave - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 3:39 PM NST
@pikachu315111: Now that this whole scheme has marinated for a few hours, that's exactly the point I arrived at too--this whole NFT business is stupid for *current* Neopets players, because you can just go create your own custom Neopet on Neopets.com and you don't have to spend any money on NC if you don't want to.

Why would existing players buy an NFT of an uncustomisable, randomly assembled Neopet image that you can't feed, you can't play with, and you can't change?

I think the only value they'll find in this venture is from those who already live and play in the NFT world and enjoy this kind of thing. Based on those I've seen joining this project's Discord server (which I won't link to), the people excited about this are mainly former players who like the nostalgia tick. Fine for them. But I think some of them see this as an investment of some kind--but good luck trying to sell these hodge podge NFTs to any current players...
tpandai, September 22, 2021 3:41 PM NST
It was mentioned in this thread about letting tnt know that we think this is a terrible idea - what would be the best way to do so? The boards on site or other sites? Because i def think we need to be vocal (but not mean!) about this. I love neopets and i dont want it to become a big dumb scam
dave - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 3:43 PM NST
There's also speculation from those enthusiastic for the project that this NFT venture will replace the existing Neopets.com game and bring Neopets out of the "90s".

Purely speculation on their part. And speculation that I believe is wrong, because if I know TNT and how quickly they move on big projects like converting the game into a cryptogame... I have a bridge in Neopia to sell!
macosten - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 3:52 PM NST
Wait, make Neo into a Cryptogame?

The same Neopets still running off PHP 5.4 (unsupported since September 2015), doesn't have any sort of 2FA, and doesn't even enforce HTTPS anywhere? That Neopets? By that same NFTNT?

I didn't think they'd make it so obvious they don't play the game.
geminipjp_a88, September 22, 2021 3:55 PM NST
I think this whole scheme is ridiculous. This failed before and not to mention it carries an environmental issue.

Didn't they figure this out previously? Who the blazes is dreaming this crap up?
pikachu315111, September 22, 2021 3:58 PM NST
OH!

And friendly reminder: if you're thinking "well maybe I can get some to help the site", you do know Neopets has actual merch you can buy right now, right?

(There's also just the NC Mall in general and Premium)
problematicperiplum, September 22, 2021 4:26 PM NST
People also noticed that the site was hosted on GoDaddy instead of the normal site host, and the lack of acknowledgement of the NFTs by TNT in New Features has people raising question about it being unofficial, along with no mentions of staff aside from Jim CantRememberHisLastName, CEO of JumpStart, making people question validity of this whole thing.
tygercan, September 22, 2021 4:30 PM NST
Ughh, should've stayed as an april fools joke
trip_away, September 22, 2021 4:54 PM NST
ItΒ΄s a scam.
Someone is using Neopets brand to try to steal the money to users.
DONΒ΄T BUY NFT
tyuio_k50, September 22, 2021 5:11 PM NST
I feel like they take literally merch/licensing offer they get, lol

Terrible, hope they change course
tyuio_k50, September 22, 2021 5:11 PM NST
*I feel like they take literally any merch/licensing offer they get, lol

(Still terrible)
theawedude, September 22, 2021 5:47 PM NST
>It's real
>It's called "Neopets Metaverse"

I really wish I could swear here, because there are no words to adequately communicate the sheer distaste and revulsion I have to basically everything about this. I hate it, I hate whoever made this, and I hate that I had to look at it.

This has legitimately ruined my day, and I was having a good day.
ohmanwell, September 22, 2021 6:02 PM NST
I know I'm getting old, but I recall several site rules that forbid users from profiting from the selling of accounts, pets, items, and Neocash. (Even NC Cards themselves: remember last year when the value of Brazilian NC cards was adjusted to discourage people from taking advantage of the exchange rate?) So if the main advantage of NFTs is an investment for resale, then (quality of digital product and practicality and market research (and the possible lack thereof) aside) how is this allowable according to TNT's own rules??
... like I said, I'm old. So maybe I don't get it. Which pretty much guarantees that I won't be supporting it (and I've posted to a threat on the Neopets Events Board stating that).
undeadfox, September 22, 2021 6:09 PM NST
nfts are a scam and just money laundering for the modern world this is disgusting
ohmanwell, September 22, 2021 6:11 PM NST
EDIT: I've posted to a THREAD on the Neopets Events Board

Oh my grarrls. I wonder if that little typo was enough to get me put on JN's Watch List. Heh. Heh heh.
cutypie349514, September 22, 2021 8:36 PM NST
I don't think I've ever seen such universal hatred for something from the JN mods before this
gabzzz12, September 22, 2021 9:33 PM NST
I have read on facebook that it was a scam and that TNT was probably not involved. I sure hope they aren't.
pasqui - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 9:55 PM NST
It totally is a scam, yes!
But sadly, TNT is indeed involved, as far as we know. No official news through them yet, but we have reason to believe it's a real deal.
pasqui - JN Staff, September 22, 2021 11:25 PM NST
If there was any doubt left of Neopets not being involved, sadly, their Twitter account has retweeted the announcement made by the NeopetsMeta account.
apophis324, September 22, 2021 11:41 PM NST
This is the first time ever I've seen so many individual JN Staffers comment on an issue. That really shows the importance of this! If they want to sell images for money.. why not have adoptables? Create good art and sell that to customers! I, like you all, cannot grasp what JS is thinking...
rattyness, September 23, 2021 12:37 AM NST
I thought that it was a joke...
candyplague, September 23, 2021 1:38 AM NST
wait, their twitter retweeted it? i don't see it anywhere?

either way, god. this is so horrible. if it's real i hope they don't go through with it :/ not gonna be buying any merch or nc, even if the nc pet slots + uc's finally DO come out! and i was really excited to buy those, too :/ this news is so upsetting.
candyplague, September 23, 2021 1:40 AM NST
oh, nevermind, it was because i had neopetsmeta blocked. ugh
serpentshrine, September 23, 2021 3:00 AM NST
What's heart breaking is that rich nerds will throw a lot of money at this project anyways, as they do with any NFT venture ever, so the players here boycotting may not even matter. They support it practically out of spite.

No more money from me, though, as even if they acknowledge it's a bad idea I don't know if they can back out of the contract. Hopefully the new pet slots come out before my next yearly premium renew happens so I can keep all my pets.
lava, September 23, 2021 3:41 AM NST
very disappointing!
thecrazyoo, September 23, 2021 6:09 AM NST
This sounds so much like an april fools prank I actually checked the calendar
suzuka - JN Staff, September 23, 2021 8:51 AM NST
Next year JN will have to do a prank of something we want to actually happen, instead
kathyob, September 23, 2021 8:58 AM NST
Just why? Did anyone ask for this?
samidark11, September 23, 2021 9:43 AM NST
Well... guess I'm not playing anymore.
apophis324, September 23, 2021 10:22 AM NST
@suzuka: So you're releasing a stand-alone version of Keyquest and Habitarium? XD
forever_future, September 23, 2021 10:46 AM NST
Oh dear... Just no.
suzuka - JN Staff, September 23, 2021 11:03 AM NST
@apophis324 ngl, that was one of the first suggestions in our staff chat, KQ is particularly missed.
cobrii, September 23, 2021 11:05 AM NST
How do we contact TNT to let them know this is an absolute garbage idea
woodenclaw, September 23, 2021 11:22 AM NST
well there goes any chance of me buying neocash for pet slots cause i aint putting my money towards people who do this. they better backpedal on this asap or they're gonna loose a lot of the playerbase

i probably wont log on for a while until they backpedal. everybody keep making a stink about this, its the only way to get anything done
androidturret, September 23, 2021 12:07 PM NST
You'd think they'd remember how hard they tried to distance themselves from scientology.

Currently I'm wondering if they're taking any partnerships they can to both stay afloat and help expand. Sucks that it's NFTs next.
dave - JN Staff, September 23, 2021 1:10 PM NST
@cobrii: You can reach TNT by:

1) Submitting a ticket:

2) Tweeting them on Twitter:

3) Sending them a message on Facebook:

Be kind, but firm. As we saw yesterday, the frontline TNT members (at least the ones who run social media/support) were apparently not made aware of this project. The Neopets Twitter account was calling this whole project a scam because no one from corporate bothered to tell them, apparently... So again, be kind, but explain your opinion.
claytonskitten, September 23, 2021 2:18 PM NST
NFTs and cryptocurrency are a huge NOPE for me. I'm old enough to remember the dotcom bubble... and this feels like a crypto bubble if there ever was one. Not to mention the HUGE environmental impact.... nope, nope, NOPE.
apophis324, September 23, 2021 2:50 PM NST
I have a genuine question because I'm unaware.. I see people talk about environmental impact and such.. and I don't quite understand how this would impact the environment exactly.
ummy - JN Staff, September 23, 2021 2:56 PM NST
^Because cypto is making money, there's a lot of cypto mining farms that run tons of computers 24/7 to produce tokens. In some cases this can produce the amount of emissions equivalent to small countries, apparently. So the carbon footprint is huge so people could "own" a .jpg.
ummy - JN Staff, September 23, 2021 2:59 PM NST
It is worth noting that the Solana cryptocurrency used by this doesn't use Proof of Work tokens which are the worst offenders, but that still doesn't mean it's without concerns.
surferboard_girl, September 23, 2021 8:29 PM NST
Really, really glad to see that everyone else is as annoyed/irritated/irked/ticked off/etc. as I am about this announcement.

And somehow the reassurance that this isn't impacting the rest of the updates on the site somehow feels more insulting and like a complete lie and very patronizing?!
apophis324, September 24, 2021 12:10 AM NST
Thanks ummy for clearing that up. I had a suspicion it could be that, but I wasn't sure ^^
savtalinda, September 27, 2021 11:04 AM NST
First of all I didn't have a clue what NFTs even were - so thank JN for clarifying. As a Neopets veteran of over 17 years, I totally agree with all of the angst and anger above. Sadly, the Official TNT board posted today that they have in fact partnered up with the other companies in this nefarious scheme. They promised it won't hurt Neopets, and I really, really fervently hope so - but for sure I will be not looking for these NFTs wherever they may be. And even more for sure, I wouldn't spend a red cent to do so.