Altador Cup XVI
Help us model your pets!
Create your own wishlists!
Take a tour of the entire planet of Neopia.

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup XVI

Pet Slots + Premium Sale + Charity Corner
  • Posted on August 27, 2021, 7:55 pm NST

Big updates were posted in this week's Neopian Times Editorial! Perhaps one of the most exciting editorials in a long while. Here's a high level summary:

Annual Premium Sale
It's late, but it's coming next week, so get ready! Not much else to say about this one other than nice to see confirmation. We expect it will be the usual $49.95 yearly sale price. If you're interested in Premium and would like an overview check out our Premium guide:

Charity Corner
Long story short, no Charity Corner in 2021. They are taking the time to focus on other things—namely Pet Slots. They will also be adding a new TNT member soon to take a look at recurring events:

We will soon be getting a new member of the team who will be taking a look at many of our events to see how to improve them and Charity Corner will be one of those, so hold on to your donations and Granny Hopbobbin will see you soon.

Pet Slots!
The big news this week is, additional pet slots are coming soon!

In total, you will be able to add +10 new Pet Slots to your account. In addition, Premium members will be receiving +3 pet slots as part of their membership. That means, after Pet Slots are released:

• Premium users will have 10 total pet slots, plus the ability to purchase up to 10 more, for a total of 20 slots.
  • Non-Premium users will have 6 total pet slots, plus the ability to purchase up to 10 more, for a total of 16 slots.

Pet Slots will be purchasable in the NC Mall. The prices are currently unknown.

There is currently no release date for Pet Slots (it's still in progress), but with all of this information being released, we imagine TNT is relatively close to having something for us soon!

In the process, dealing with your +4 extra pet slots when you cancel your Premium membership will receive some tweaks:

• When you cancel Premium, you still need to choose which Neopets will go away if you have more Neopets than slots (more than the free 6 slots plus whatever you purchased—in essence, the Neopets taking up your +4 free Premium slots).
  • The 90-day window to reclaim your Neopets will go away. Instead, your Neopets will be sent to an "idle" limbo indefinitely until you renew Premium or purchase more Pet Slots.
  • To get your Neopets out of limbo, you will need to renew Premium or purchase more pet slots (up to the allowed 16 non-Premium slots) to get them back.

With this change, Transfer Limits in the Pound will also be temporarily lifted. This is so you will have easy ways to consolidate Neopets from your side accounts if you so wish to. TNT will confirm when those limits are being lifted, and when they will return. The ability to transfer Lutaris is also on the table! (But TNT hasn't confirmed this will definitely happen.)

And that's about it! We encourage you to read the full editorial here:

In the meantime, what are you most excited for? How many Neopet slots do you plan on getting for your main account? Let us know in the comments!

1jediboy, August 27, 2021 8:04 PM NST
"In total, you will be able to add +10 new Pet Slots to your account."

YAY! 👏😁
purplebin, August 27, 2021 8:10 PM NST
I'm wondering about the price of the slots. For modeling purposes I plan to do the full 20 if it's not ridiculous.
howdareyoufreezeme1 - JN Staff, August 27, 2021 8:13 PM NST
I, for one, am glad they are skipping events in favor of working on the site. No need to repeat the nonsense of AC with CC when there's much more fruitful, infrastructural stuff to focus on.
dave - JN Staff, August 27, 2021 8:14 PM NST
Most expensive NC item so far has been 5,000 NC. Followed by 4x 4,000 NC capsules (20-packs). I'm thinking each slot would be at least 1,000 NC, perhaps with a discount on the +10 bundle?

It's a permanent upgrade to your account--so I would expect something on the pricier side. (Especially if full Stufftacular tickets can be sold for 2,000 NC!)
1jediboy, August 27, 2021 8:15 PM NST
If I get the privilege of purchasing Neocash and can get ten slots... I'mma get ten slots.

I've got this "boarding house" idea that I wanted to do. With this, I can!
premium17, August 27, 2021 8:19 PM NST
Many are in favor of fixing the many things that are still broken before any new events
rosi, August 27, 2021 8:22 PM NST
Well, last year's Charity Corner was so broken it was traumatic O__O I still have the e-mails I sent about it, and they read like a tragicomedy è__é So, I'm more relieved than glad that they skipped the project for this year ù_ù'
mandypandy667, August 27, 2021 9:00 PM NST
Definitely gonna send myself broke getting all the slots lol
stories2btold, August 27, 2021 9:09 PM NST
That’s like… way too many pet slots per account though. I can see this causing problems in the future.
begeorge2424, August 27, 2021 9:44 PM NST
I'm looking forward to CC coming back at some point, but I agree that it was probably the best decision for now. 10 more slots is pretty great, not sure what I'll use it for though...
catriki, August 27, 2021 9:52 PM NST
I'll be getting as many pet slots as I can afford sans premium (I've never liked subscriptions and I'm not active enough anyway). To me my pets are the main draw to Neo and I feel limited now I have 5/6 of mine in their permanent forms. I'd use the new slots for pets I might otherwise not have given much attention to but still find charming- like a grundo or even a moehog in the right color. If I already have plenty of pets to dress up I can focus more on the ones who look good art/design wise- especially with UCs hopefully being an option soon. I'm super happy with this though I hope they aren't too pricey for me- on the other hand if Neo makes a lot of money from this it could encourage them to add more slots, which tbh I'm all for since I've always felt like pets are the core part of the site anyway and the only reason I bothered with side accounts was so I could have more.
pikachu315111, August 27, 2021 10:43 PM NST
*Puts all items gotten from Daily in SDB everyday* Can't wait till Charity Corner to clean out my SDB!...

*Sees announcement they're not doing Charity Corner this year*

Oh... *looks back at pages of towering stack of items in SDB* ... Well come December that's going to be a chore to look through to see if there's any items I want to sell.

So I guess one more year to stack up on more r90+ items (last year CC was so underwhelming I decided to keep my r90+ items hoping for better CC next year... and now I guess I'm waiting another year, lol!).

Getting Neopets back to (mostly) full force is of course priority #1 atm so I'm not complaining. Just the little neat freak in me is now assessing the situation with what my SDB clean out plans are for the end of this year is now going to be.

Oh, guess I should also comment on the extra pet slots: good. Glad for all of those who wanted extra pets slots and now are going to be allowed to have more than what they were probably expecting, though for me right now I have my 3 ideal Neopets and don't feel the temptation to get another.
ilovedachshunds, August 27, 2021 10:51 PM NST
So... I'm wondering if I can buy a 10-pack for each of my 5 accounts. I'd go broke!
katina_choovanski, August 28, 2021 1:52 AM NST
On the one hand, Yaaay. On the other, more constant and chronic hand, FIX THE CLOSETS!! What good are more slots if you cannot access your customizing capabilities on the pets you HAVE NOW? My pets have been dressed the same for a year now.
biediep, August 28, 2021 2:28 AM NST
+3 for Premium omg, I needed exactly +3 so that means I won't need to buy/trade for any additional pet slots, haha! ♥
And it's SO nice of them to lift the transfer limit for a while so we can transfer everyone over! And Lutaris omg! I don't even have any on my sides but it's nice that they thought of those!
lava, August 28, 2021 4:03 AM NST
oh my god
ducky - JN Staff, August 28, 2021 6:30 AM NST
@catriki

Yes moehogs. Robot, maraquan and stealthy are adorable.

ALSO YAY FINALLY MOAR SPACE SO I CAN MAKE MY GNORBU ARMY STRONGER... and maybe some kaus. And Marble Chia.
jessalynn, August 28, 2021 6:44 AM NST
I'm excited to get the max slots on all of my accounts!
beyondelsewhere, August 28, 2021 7:22 AM NST
I like the idea of getting to have all my pets on one account. I don't log into my sides much anymore at all. And I'd be fine with sending all my side gallery back to my main and work on expanding that gallery. I don't collect things like I used to. Especially with the current state of the site. I'm just not interested in spending more time on sides these days.

But I can see having the increased pets in one account making your closet fill up with more non-removable items to freeze it up.
premium17, August 28, 2021 9:25 AM NST
Just guessing but think that extra slots will only be available on main accounts
chesu - JN Staff, August 28, 2021 9:59 AM NST
Okay, now they're just gettin' kinda silly with it.
ilovedachshunds, August 28, 2021 10:23 AM NST
How would they be able to prevent a side account from purchasing pet slots? There isn't a formal distinction that I know of. Not to mention that if sides could purchase pet slots, too, they'd make a lot more money.
herdy - JN Staff, August 28, 2021 10:32 AM NST
Yeah, the only way to stop it would be to not have them be items (which we know they are), or to police it. Realistically that's a lot of moderation hours to spend on something that really only exists to prevent them making more money from additional NC sales.

It makes more practical and financial sense to have them be able to be used on sides.
ilovedachshunds, August 28, 2021 11:32 AM NST
I would think that they would appreciate the extra revenue. Also, if paying customers got pet slots revoked because they were on sides, they'd be writing tickets to get back the NC they spent... It sounds like one big headache for staff, and they'd make a lot less money.
nobody, August 28, 2021 11:49 AM NST
16 babies on my main, hmmmm...
i_love_latin - JN Staff, August 28, 2021 1:27 PM NST
I'm personally pretty stoked about the quantity of pet slots. I have a ten-pet idea for my side that I can now do! Now if they'll just let us update our usernames one of these days, I'll have no need for my side, lol.
shopnshow, August 28, 2021 3:00 PM NST
I'm curious, if you are premium and can buy the additional 10 pet slots that means those would also stay permanent even if you cancel it?
biediep, August 28, 2021 3:11 PM NST
^If you cancel Premium you'll keep the slots you bought but will lose the +4 you get for being Premium so you go back down to the max of 16 like every other non-Premium user.
debgil, August 28, 2021 3:26 PM NST
Just an fyi, putting all your favorite pets in one account you risk that account being frozen and losing all your pets. No thank you. I've been frozen twice now for absolutely no good reason and lost my favorites. Not going to fall for it again. I'll keep a side.
ilovedachshunds, August 28, 2021 5:28 PM NST
I'd rather keep 1 main and 4 sides so that I can (eventually) have 5 galleries and 5 Neohomes (with all NP items funded from the main).
ea111, August 28, 2021 7:24 PM NST
No Charity Corner? Well, then its more 10 NP daily food for my Grarrl
premium17, August 28, 2021 7:35 PM NST
Why not just have gallery slots and even neohome slots ? I for one hate logging in and out a thousand times to visit sides.
cheezit, August 28, 2021 10:12 PM NST
The 90 day window is going away? Eugh.
herdy - JN Staff, August 29, 2021 4:08 AM NST
Why eugh? It is being replaced with a system that has no time limit.
puffkins2000, August 29, 2021 10:43 AM NST
That is a little.... extreme.

I still wish we could link our main and side accounts together.
escrainus, August 29, 2021 12:34 PM NST
Meh if this was done years ago I could be excited but right now feels like a desperate attempt to grab money given the state of the site :/
Pretty sad that those are all NC only, I can see the absurd prices they may ask for them and guess they may as well make them no trade.
mavegibson, August 29, 2021 1:09 PM NST
The devil is in the details with things like this. A lot will depend on the pricing of this feature.

If they want consolidation of accounts to happen, and people moving away from multiple accounts, I expect they will price each slot more reasonably, maybe 500NC or something. If they want to make maximum money they will go higher. It will be interesting to see what direction they choose.

I will likely not buy slots if it's too expensive. Not given the ongoing problems on the site and the fact that we are still half old/half new with the site. I just don't have enough confidence in the long-term survival of Neopets at the moment to sink a lot of money into the site.
chelzies, August 30, 2021 8:10 AM NST
I suspect the pet slots will be from 500-1000NC, just based on getting the "free" 3 from purchasing premium, and that costs $50-70, so max of $10 eat pet slot seems like a probable number. I guess we'll see soon. I'm looking forward to having all my babies on one account, though! And space for lab rat too!
jcdiva7, August 30, 2021 9:42 AM NST
yeah for the extra pet slots!...I cannot wait...getting 10 slots for all of my accounts...it is worth getting broke over...as for the CC, I am disappointed but if it is fixed and the site gets better, I am okay with it
mzlish, August 30, 2021 10:47 AM NST
Id rather have unlimited buyable slots. I'm disappointed, but I suppose I will keep a side or two for the remaining pets. Either way, I'm excited! Already have the 20 pets picked out I'm bringing into my main lol
ummy - JN Staff, August 30, 2021 3:11 PM NST
^there would definitely be people with hundreds of pets if there was no limit. No telling what that would do to the site and it's features.
twocue, August 30, 2021 4:28 PM NST
Are we allowed to add more slots to our sides as well? Or just our mains?
cat, September 2, 2021 2:33 PM NST
If I were them I’d probably set the cost of pet slots low, remember more pet slots means more pets to customize which means NCers spend more. At the same time though more pets is something that would appeal to people who might not be into customizing.