Altador Cup XVI
Help us model your pets!
Discover the characters of Neopia in our Book of Ages!
Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup XVI

Neopets Game Survey
  • Posted on July 22, 2021, 1:53 pm NST

TNT have announced a new survey in the New Features today based around what games users would like to see in the future.

A substantial chunk of the survey is relating to interest in potential match 3 games in the future (similar to Sutek's Tomb or Ghoul Catchers). You may remember that around this time last year, there was another survey relating to which set of match 3 character tiles users liked the most.

swevin, July 22, 2021 1:55 PM NST
They plan another failure in other words. When will they learn they need to fix the actual site.
problematicperiplum, July 22, 2021 1:56 PM NST
Genuinely wondering why Neopets wants to make another Match 3 game after Ghoul Catchers failed. It feels like they have too much faith in these projects being profitable that end up flopping.
herdy - JN Staff, July 22, 2021 2:03 PM NST
Yeah, this is starting to feel like a Stop Trying to Make Match Three Happen meme.
dave - JN Staff, July 22, 2021 2:25 PM NST
I could see a different themed match 3 performing better than Ghoul Catchers. Ghoul Catchers is a pretty niche theme of Neopets characters. (I would have been more excited about a Dr. Sloth match 3. 🙃)

I also don't mind them throwing whatever they want at the wall if it's a 3rd party dev licensing the brand. (No idea if that's the case here.)
inkpot, July 22, 2021 4:08 PM NST
yeah, ghoul catchers was an odd theme.

(probably an unpopular opinion but) as someone who loves gatcha games, i would love for something where you can pull characters like kanrik, sloth, the space faerie, etc. to use. so like if they did do another match-3 game, the base tiles could just be your basic/paint neopets/petpets and if you want you can pull for or unlock popular npcs to use?
idk, like there's so many cool neopets npcs and there's little done with them... even in legends & letters i felt like the characters you could pull were "meh".

OR y'know a keyquest like board game but...
1jediboy, July 22, 2021 4:12 PM NST
Why isn't this survey conducted on Surveymonkeys?

This is a touch concerning.

Is this legit?
herdy - JN Staff, July 22, 2021 4:25 PM NST
It’s legit, it is just a different survey service.
1jediboy, July 22, 2021 6:27 PM NST
Thanks for replying back!
rejecteddounut, July 22, 2021 6:35 PM NST
Um. does anyone else's browser try to pull this survey up in Chinese? That made me x out real quick.
pikachu315111, July 22, 2021 6:38 PM NST
2. Jeez, what is with these choices? Some are vague or so obtuse they're useless ("collecting items/avatars/etc.", "fun games", "a world full of wonder". And some of them even sound like the same or a variation that could be redone to make two or three more definite sounding options ("variety of Neopets", "raising my Neopets", & "Species I'm fond of" could have all been just one thing: "Raising a variety of Neopets or the ones I'm just fond of"; and even then THAT'S obtuse as in what way do you mean by raising them?). Also, I can't help but notice none of the "defaults" mention Plots, Events, nor the Battledome.

3. What was the point of the above question if you're going to ask us to go into detail anyway?

4. Talk about burying the lead...

5. I have to go through some of these one by one:
* "Customizable Items for Neohomes". We want the Neohomes THEMSELVES back, not items which can be placed in Neohomes to appear in a matching game!
* "Species/NPCs from classic Neopets game". Again, we want THOSE games back, not for them to be referenced in a match game.
* "Style of Neopets after an art upgrade". What is that supposed to mean? What art upgrade?
* "Fun Mini-Games". Just to say if you need to have a mini-game in a MATCH GAME than you've failed to make a match games which by their nature are supposed to be addicting. Heck, a Match Game is usually used as a mini-game in other more complex games!
* "Stories from classic Neopets game". Not many of the games have really that indepth story... wait, are you also classifying PLOTS and EVENTS as GAMES?!
* "Feeding pets". Wha? Like, the game or part of the game involves feeding Neopets by matching the 3 food items they want? Is that going to be the whole game? One of the mission types in the game?
* So in the other I put this "Going to the different lands of Neopia and matching items associated with each land". I would have thought that would be a rather obvious idea to do but apparently not.

6. What gaming
pikachu315111, July 22, 2021 6:38 PM NST
6. What gaming device have a used in the last SIX months? How about just asking what gaming devices I have if you're going to give it that big window of time!

7 & 8. Okay, are we really going to pretend you're not going to put this on Mobile Phones/Tablets via the App Store? The question here should just be "if we put this game on Switch, XBox, or PlayStation will you play it on there?"

9. And of course, since I don't really play games on my Mobile Phone, I'm going to be the odd one out. They could have just asked what type of games I'm into in general, but no gotta figure out the trend and copy it instead of doing something original... or using common sense... also wasn't this about a match game?

11 & 12. What is this, am I applying for a car, bank account, or credit card?
ummy - JN Staff, July 22, 2021 6:53 PM NST
They should just make Sutek's Tomb into an app. Gives brand recognition too.
ummy - JN Staff, July 22, 2021 6:55 PM NST
This is probably the project hinted at that they were exploring releasing on the Switch.
pikachu315111, July 22, 2021 7:11 PM NST
What they should have asked, assuming they want a game to make money off of this game, is ask this question:

Q: Which app game do you want to see us do next? (Pick One)
* A. KeyQuest
* B. Habitarium

Like, seriously, who on Neopets care about a Neopets Candy Crush clone? We expect games like that to eventually be returning to the site for free (and be playable on our mobile phones). If you're going to put all this effort to make a new App game (and not bring back Ghoul Catchers), then let is be a game most players want back!
mephialtes, July 22, 2021 9:06 PM NST
Hey TNT, remember when you promised post-Altador Cup that you would be committing wholly to fixing the site up? This poll smells like you're thinking about going back on that.
Seriously, if you guys need money, TELL us or something, and if you DON'T need money, don't bother with this Viacom-era brand capitalization and work on the site! Ugh. Just ugh.
corruptora, July 22, 2021 10:40 PM NST
Omg they should bring back Key Quest or Habitarium back already if they're dying to make a succesful game...
neocoladude, July 22, 2021 11:26 PM NST
*insert 'How many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man?' meme here*
premium17, July 23, 2021 6:31 AM NST
Did Ghoul Catchers fail ? Seems like they just stopped adding new levels. Tons played it because of the 50K a day and still do
recklesse, July 23, 2021 7:42 AM NST
I just said I wasn't interested in a new Neopets themed match 3 app.

And then pointed out that none of the aspects on offer to include were relevant, since I wouldn't be interested in getting the app.
puffkins2000, July 23, 2021 8:36 AM NST
Um... why even release another mobile game, when they can't even release that last one for Apple phones! In fact, I got selected to test it, but my phone had to have the latest IOS and I don't have that, so that was seriously disappointing. XP But they still never officially released it for Apple phones. Or did they, and never announced it?

I really did like Ghoul Catchers, but they stopped updating it. Legends and Letters was just... okay. I really couldn't get into it because half the time the app closed down on me.

Honestly, KQ, Habi, AND Treasure Keepers would be nice, but the apps need to work for all phone operating systems. I don't think it's fair to miss out because you don't want to/can't buy the latest phone. Or maybe make them downloadable to your PC (( Steam, etc. ))/game systems, or just forget mobile apps and make them for the actual site.

Or maybe, here's a thought: FIX THE ACTUAL SITE ITSELF FIRST, instead of thinking up new mobile games. XP
alex, July 23, 2021 11:46 AM NST
I hate match 3 games and I'm terrible at them.
coryldork, July 23, 2021 12:08 PM NST
I would have enjoyed the other apps that they came out with if they worked consistently. You know what I would enjoy more?

Playing the puzzle games they already had: Suteks Tomb, Destruct-o-Match, etc.

I play Neopets on the PC. I play a lot of games on the PC. I play games on console. I play games on mobile. But the key difference amongst them all is that I play games that were developed for the platform it's available on--I'm not playing Minecraft and Sims 4 on a console, even though they're available, because they weren't originally programmed for them. And it took a huge undertaking to get them there, and there were compromises that had to be made in order to get them on a different platform.
dave - JN Staff, July 23, 2021 1:10 PM NST
I think it'd be neat if they converted some of the old Flash games to new mobile apps, like a Sutek's Tomb app or a Meerca Chase app.

But those single Flash games would not do well as standalone mobile apps without changing a lot about them. Spending the resources to make an app always begs the question, how will they make money off it? So, you need to ask, how can Sutek's Tomb be monetized? How could Meerca Chase be monetized? The answers likely include changing gameplay in some way, or seriously augmenting the old gameplay, such that it ends up more like an "inspired by Sutek's Tomb" game, rather than a straight remake.

Key Quest and Habitarium would be good candidates, IMO, as they already have monetization baked in. (Well--things that could be monetized, since obviously stuff like KQ plushies don't exist anymore.) Plus, both KQ and Habitarium are pretty fleshed out games, much more complex than Sutek's or Meerca Chase.
ummy - JN Staff, July 23, 2021 2:05 PM NST
A straight remake of a bunch of popular flash games plus the the games having challenges to advance, with replays limited behind gems is the app direction I've always felt was right. Just build off the current game by having extra modes for Meerca chase, extra "bats" for Kass Basher, that unlock after certain challenge scores.
ummy - JN Staff, July 23, 2021 2:07 PM NST
We know those arcade games are successful, addicting, and need to be remade anyway so why not attempt to expand upon some of the best content Neopets had to offer?
foxycleopatra, July 23, 2021 2:50 PM NST
^what ummy said
bonju, July 23, 2021 4:03 PM NST
As much as I'd love KeyQuest as a mobile app, I don't know how successful it would be, since each game used to be pretty extense. Plus it's online, so you couldn't just exit whenever. I think they are looking for something more on-the-go
contessa, July 23, 2021 4:34 PM NST
Just like rejecteddounut said, my survey had the address in Chinese, so no.
herdy - JN Staff, July 23, 2021 4:45 PM NST
It’s Chinese because it is a Netdragon owned site —just like Neopets is.
bolimdechuva, July 23, 2021 7:18 PM NST
oh good another mobile app game! i'm so glad they're still desperately trying to make that happen instead of, say, converting hannah and the pirate caves to the new site or something :3c
mavegibson, July 23, 2021 8:31 PM NST
This survey was a joke. Most of the questions assumed that people actually like match 3 games.

Look, match 3 games are terrible, boring and exist only as microtransaction money grabs. They are poisonous to the entire mobile game market. The last thing the world needs is another match 3 game.

I also don't trust this team to do a mobile game. I loved Legends and Letters. It was a game I really enjoyed. They killed it. They killed Ghoul Catchers. What's wrong with these people? Do they actually think anyone's going to trust them with another mobile game?

*sigh*

They should do something creative and fun. If they don't feel capable of that and just want to reskin a match 3, then I don't see why any of us should be invested. In order for an audience to be excited, the designer has to first be excited.
tygercan, July 23, 2021 11:10 PM NST
they really seem to love match three games, dang it!
i just want habitarium or key quest back, they'd make for great mobile games.
verdego, July 24, 2021 10:18 AM NST
I gotta admit it cracks me up how this most recent cycle of trying to use the Neopets IP for stuff has gone (and feels... familiar for those who have been through the last couple decades of the site): "Animation! A Site Revamp! Neopets Mobile! New Merchandise!!!" which has turned into "Er... well we're WORKING on the revamp... as best we can... do you guys wanna buy a rug? Match 3 games haven't QUITE been done to death... right? Er... what? No one said anything about animation..."
cat, July 25, 2021 2:27 PM NST
I wish they’d get off the Match 3 train. That being said I wouldn’t mind a Neopets version of something like KittenMatch where you can collect Neopets, dress them up and renovate a giant Neohome.

Of course I’d prefer something like CastleCats where you can collect Neopets and send them on quests.
cat, July 25, 2021 2:29 PM NST
Match 3 games are easy to clone, they all use basically the same mechanics so the only real variable is level design, theming and just how predatory and unwinnable they get.
cat, July 25, 2021 2:33 PM NST
I agree with Ummy, their mobile app direction should be a games room that remakes the arcade style flash games, possibly with plays locked behind some sort of energy/game token meter that you have to either wait to recharge or buy more with gems.
velasa, July 27, 2021 10:51 PM NST
Match 3 games with cat themes are my brand, if they let me pick and only tend to aishas in it I would be thrilled... if it was a good puzzle game, with fun mechanics that didn't try to squeeze real money out of you at every spare moment or become entirely luck based nonsense. Puzzles are no fun if you don't have to think about them. And yeah there's all their previous actual existing games we would really like back first.