Altador Cup XVI
Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!
Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup XVI

Zelda
And We're Off: ACXVI Begins!
  • Posted by Zelda
  • Posted on June 7, 2021, 12:15 am NST

As of midnight today, the 16th Annual Altador Cup has officially begun! Head over to the Colosseum to see who your team faces off against today!

As you play, don't forget to send in a support ticket with any bugs you encounter that aren't already on TNT's known bugs list.

Good luck, everyone! May the best team win!

This year, there do not appear to have been any changes to rank points, minimum scores, or max score sends per day. They are:

Yooyuball: Win/Draw (46 scores per day)
Slushie Slinger: 270 (86 scores per day)
Make Some Noise: 2700 (401 scores per day)
Shootout Showdown: 35 (401 scores per day)

Note: If you are minimum score sending Shootout Showdown you may encounter an Invalid Session error on score sends. This is due to finishing the game too quickly. You need to wait until the timer runs down 10 seconds (to 50) before ending the game in order to avoid the error.

Additionally, play close attention to the minimum score for Make Some Noise, as some computers/phones make it very difficult to reach 2700 in the new version.

Finally, there is an additional glitch today - some characters on teams in Yooyuball are not incrementing their Goals Scored/Saves totals on your rank listing. It appears this may affect the Top Scorers listing as these players are effectively excluded from the list.

P.S.: If you haven't joined a team yet, be sure to do so this week. According to the Rules page, sign-ups are expected to close at the end of this week.

The NC portion of the Altador Cup has also gone live today. It's called the Altador Coastline Gala, and it runs from June 7th to July 16th. You can buy wristbands at the NC Mall starting today. Each will allow you to redeem one item from the Gala. Multiple wristbands allow you to redeem items from multiple days, or multiple copies of the same day's item. Read more on our Altador Cup NC Guide here:

biediep, June 7, 2021 1:07 AM NST
(The link to the known bug list is broken)

The past years I always scored one goal in SOSD and then quit, send, restart. Now I keep getting invalid session errors and my game count does not go up. Is 35 no longer a valid score?! Not only is the goalie a million times more annoying in this Flash-free version but I also have to score more often now for it to send at all? :/
i_love_latin - JN Staff, June 7, 2021 1:22 AM NST
ahem...whoops
fixed now ^_^

It's quite possible the score minimums have changed for this year. We're still figuring out some of the details on this, and we'll keep everyone posted.
billowonders, June 7, 2021 2:06 AM NST
I just made a new account around 10 days ago so I still haven't been able to join a team, hope I get to do so in time
marfbear, June 7, 2021 2:29 AM NST
I ranked up the same as previous years, playing a combination of all 4 games.
alessia, June 7, 2021 2:41 AM NST
It's not a matter of how many goals you score, you can still send one goal only. But you have to wait a few seconds before submitting your score or you'll get invalid session. I'm waiting till the seconds go under 50 and then send my game. This is a known "problem" in the converted games (Fashion Fever is another one)
alessia, June 7, 2021 3:57 AM NST
The minimum score for MSN is really hard to get with this version.... I'm so lagged that I can't go over 1500 points
ladyamethyst, June 7, 2021 5:25 AM NST
Click "play" for YYB, it refreshes the page. Every time.
So this is fun...
anomally, June 7, 2021 5:31 AM NST
Only played one Slushie Slinger last night, works okay but may not recognize input that well. May just be my keyboard, but I was having to press some buttons twice.
therubyfox23, June 7, 2021 7:01 AM NST
Im having no luck with YYB. I cant even get past the play now screen.
sprite_83_4, June 7, 2021 7:05 AM NST
^^ ahh me too ;( glad to know it’s not just me
caelan63, June 7, 2021 7:11 AM NST
I can't even get near the min score in msn....and I can only play that on my phone
stories2btold, June 7, 2021 7:51 AM NST
What a hot disaster.
fobbo, June 7, 2021 8:04 AM NST
No adjustment in scores required this year? It's pretty standard for TNT but still disappointing nonetheless.
recklesse, June 7, 2021 8:19 AM NST
To be fair, a lot of people can't play at all, so adjusting scores wouldn't be much help for them.
fobbo, June 7, 2021 10:56 AM NST
Huh? How about they fix both the games and adjust scores? There's those who can't play any, those who can only play some, those who can play but it runs very poorly. There's plenty of people who can benefit from a score adjustment. An adjustment is also way easier considering it's something they can do on their end, since they outsourced the games.
thaurialiel_lelfe, June 7, 2021 11:41 AM NST
MSN doesn't work. SosD is so slow, can't reach the 1200 pts less a minute now. A week to adjust the games, so disappointing.
mavegibson, June 7, 2021 12:37 PM NST
I can't get anything to load. I shouldn't be surprised, but I had hoped they'd at least have one working game by the start of the event.
surferboard_girl, June 7, 2021 12:54 PM NST
There's no way I'm going to get that min score for Slushie Slinger and I love that I won't be able to play MSN at ALL this tournament. Super lovely.
purplebin, June 7, 2021 1:06 PM NST
I don't like the colors in Slushie Slinger, and everything takes longer to play. And only the opposing team can steal the ball in YYB. But I can play all the games at least. old desktop computer.
apophis324, June 7, 2021 1:08 PM NST
Tried out a Yooyuball game for the first time this year. Is it a common occurance that after clearly winning a match, it shows my results as having lost? It was like.. 8-1 for me, but it shows 1-5. Now I'm scared of sending my score, I don't want a loss on my record!
Also, who forgot to program the V button for easy goalie control and the Shift button for sending all players back to their positions?
apophis324, June 7, 2021 1:14 PM NST
By the way, those known bugs.. are they going to fix those.. or just acknowledge their existence?
And why is there a cheese wedge on the slushie cups? Why are some art assets (like the Tuskaninny and the slushie swirls) super sharp, but are others (like the slushie machines and the customers) super blurry?
kaimactrash, June 7, 2021 2:10 PM NST
Slushie Sligner is much laggier and glitchier than before, I could only submit 3 scores for each game today including SS, msn hurts my hands so bad and i get 0 accuracy bonus no matter what i do, but maybe im bad at the game.
Lastly, i couldnt play yyb until i realised the hit box on the menu is off and i need to put my cursor under any of the small menu boxes to get them to work, including the play game option, also the game just doesnt respond outside of fullscreen whatsoever.
Also I dont know if its random chance, by i tend to get the same yooyu ball type for one whole game? I've maybe got the worst luck, but it kept happening to me. strangest AC I've ever participated in, but I did really miss playing yyb all year.
biediep, June 7, 2021 2:23 PM NST
Well, I'm glad SOSD still works as long as you wait until the timer is at 50 seconds, but I can't score to save my life now. I used to score 90-95% of the time in the Flash version, but now I can barely score 20% of the time. AC has always been a chore, not fun, imo, but this.. This is a million times worse and not worth my sanity. First year ever that I'll be skipping the AC. Pretty sad about it.

Good luck to everyone brave enough to keep going, assuming they can even get the games to work at all!
infernodragon02, June 7, 2021 2:30 PM NST
The game won't even load for me. Still.

Not that I'm going to play, but still.
rosi, June 7, 2021 3:10 PM NST
@apophis and all the other people having the "inverted" score in Yooyuball : do you play right-to-left?
I always play right-to-left because I'm left-handed and I too am experiencing this reverse score after finishing a winning game. Don't worry, I sent my score and it counted as a win. At least that one and only YYB game I sent ^^;;;
thecrazyoo, June 7, 2021 4:14 PM NST
Honestly, I'm not surprised at all, I really expected the games to be as terrible as they are now. But I'm still annoyed at how this staff manages the bad stuff they do - they just roll with it and act like it's ok to launch an event full of glitches and where most games are this annoying to play, even needing a workaround just to play the main game at all. The quality bar was already set very low and they still manage to lower it even more.
thecrazyoo, June 7, 2021 4:16 PM NST
Honestly, how bad do you need to be to mess up a game as simple as slushie slinger, and even make it LAG?
topaz644, June 7, 2021 4:25 PM NST
@thecrazyoo- Right? I used to play SS on the first Atari console and it was 50x better lol

The unresponsiveness of controls on all the games bothers me most. I planned on relearning how to play but I thought I'd be able to learn.

Can't if you aren't sure what any key will do.
rodgerflint, June 7, 2021 4:27 PM NST
When is the Cup scheduled to end? The rules page has the wrong start day soooo
mavegibson, June 7, 2021 4:49 PM NST
@apophis324
@rosi

Yes, I've had the score issue as well, and didn't send it because I was worried it would register as a loss. I do play right-to-left. It's the way I've played every year.

Also everyone - be careful because sending multiple scores without refreshing the page didn't work for me. I played a few games in a row, sending scores for two of them (the third was where the score reversal error happened), and I only got credit for 1 game. The other score didn't send even though it looked like it had sent.
mavegibson, June 7, 2021 4:52 PM NST
Also, I found the graphics quality of YY ball shockingly bad. What happened? It's almost like they didn't use any of the original vector graphics and instead converted everything to pixels.

I feel for the team, they're trying, but I can't help but notice that they seem to be in over their heads.
bolimdechuva, June 7, 2021 5:07 PM NST
so so so extremely laggy
hypernova_kirby, June 7, 2021 5:17 PM NST
i mean really by modern webgame standards these ports are atrocious. you'd find better at indie gamejams.
corruptora, June 7, 2021 10:54 PM NST
Maxing out Shootout Showdown has never been this painful. I can't do this everyday. TNT think everyone has nothing to do but sit down for +3hrs to try to do well in this event...
apophis324, June 7, 2021 11:47 PM NST
@rosi and mavegibson:
Ah, is that the issue? Pathetic, honestly. I'm not left-handed, I've just always found it easier to play right-to-left. Funny how that too is another oversight on the devs department? Have they even tried out all their games and stuff before launching them? Or are we the guinea pigs running up against every wall we can find?
apophis324, June 8, 2021 12:50 AM NST
Something else that I've noticed that is odd is that the game doesn't substract eight seconds from the clock after each goal.. except when there's only ten or so seconds left. It's as if the game remembers that it "should", but can only do so when the game is already over...
apophis324, June 8, 2021 12:51 AM NST
Oops, sorry for the triple post. It appears I was wrong, it does substract those seconds, it just does so the moment you score. Never mind.
contessa, June 8, 2021 6:57 AM NST
Well, I tried playing yesterday and got a few games of SoSd and SS in but they are laggy and the controls are wonky. Also, I only played two games of YYB because the controls don't work like they used to and the scoring is off. The first game I was sure I had made six goals at least but the score said I made one and the other team got six. Second game I KNEW I had made 8 goals but again it said I had only one, so I stopped playing. When I went to the hub it had it correct, that I did win both games scoring the 6 and 8 that I thought I did. I can only hope that some of the bugs get fixed.
ladymoreta, June 8, 2021 7:06 AM NST
I'm struggling to get the Play button to work in Yooyuball. I have it on full screen, and press on 'Play' and around it and I have got it to work only once. Any ideas?!
mavegibson, June 8, 2021 12:08 PM NST
@ladymoreta I tried repeatedly yesterday before I was able to get it to work, but today I'm completely unable to get it to work again, even when I leave the tab for several minutes just to make sure it has time to load.

The situation is so awful, I'm going to sit this AC out. It's an unmitigated disaster. None of the games will load for me at all.
mavegibson, June 8, 2021 12:10 PM NST
Ah, just after having said that I noticed that after trying to get the other games to load, I finally was able to get yooyuball to load.

Maybe that has something to do with it? Because the exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I couldn't get YB to load so I tried loading the other games, then tried shootout showdown, no luck getting it to load. Then I went back and tried yooyuball again and it loaded. Worth a try, anyway.
ladymoreta, June 8, 2021 1:26 PM NST
@mavegibson

Thanks for your suggestions. I finally got it loaded by going backwards and forwards between full screen and 67% zoom. Not sure why this causes it to work, however happy it did.
rosi, June 8, 2021 3:43 PM NST
@ladymoreta and mavegibson: this problem happened several times to me, too
josie, June 8, 2021 6:25 PM NST
This waiting time for sending a SOSD score is ridiculous. I'm usually playing until I get Allstar, but this year I'm going to rank 1 to get at least a trophy and not a participation medal and that's it. Ain't nobody got time for this
apophis324, June 9, 2021 12:10 AM NST
After playing 20 rounds of Yooyuball yesterday, I think I'm starting to adapt to its jank-factor. Once you do, it's actually sort of enjoyable still. Not going to touch the other games anymore however...
itaxerxes, June 9, 2021 4:17 AM NST
YYB is broken for me. It takes 15 minutes to complete a single game. I can use my computer to stream videos and follow livestreaming and videocalls etc, so I guess it is their messy programming and not my computer. They should have tested it for older computers and Windows versions as well but they don't seem to care about loyal users.
logicalwhimsy, June 9, 2021 5:38 AM NST
Forced myself through 37 games of Slushie Slinger yesterday to get to Rank One as I have yet to get over missing out on a Bronze Trophy with Kreludor back in 2011 the last time TNT ruined Yooyuball.

It was... an experience. Slushie Slinger works just like it did on my old Vista... which isn't really a compliment. I forgot how laggy and slow it was. Sigh. I usually aim for Rank Four so I can buy something from the Prize Shop... I'll probably manage it. Probably. Never thought I would miss Yooyuball this much. (Haven't bothered trying it again.)
marschan6, June 9, 2021 11:17 AM NST
Hopefully they add some days to the tournament. Today is a bonus YYB day and I still can't play a single game. No matter what I turn off (VPN, adblock) or what browser I use, nothing happens past the "Play Now" screen.
bodhi, June 9, 2021 3:17 PM NST
In YYB, my goals showed up as Virtu's goals, but when I sent the score, it showed as being mine.
bolimdechuva, June 10, 2021 2:11 PM NST
the goalie's problem in yyb is the biggest dealbreaker for me, even more than the lagging,, it's so annoying to be unable to defend my freaking goal and getting scored on because the ai is dumb

also ssl is completely dead to me lol i assumed altador cup was supposed to be an enjoyable challenge but nothing is more unenjoyable than losing because the game just doesn't understand that i've been desperately pressing the spacebar twenty times in a row :')
mavegibson, June 11, 2021 6:30 PM NST
Definitely won't be participating beyond playing enough to get a trophy instead of a medal, and maybe the staff tournament. This is the most disappointing AC of all time.
contessa, June 11, 2021 9:23 PM NST
I had a terrible time trying to load YYB today - I took the page down to 50%, I waited 10 minutes for the game to load, but when it finally did, there were still glitches. The page was a meadow instead of the stadium and the links did not work, I am so disappointed with the "tournament" this year. Boo TNT!
kreyrie, June 12, 2021 4:46 PM NST
I can't play AT ALL. NOTHING loads... RIP to the AC this year I guess...