Snowager alert!

Altador Cup XVI
Help us model your pets!
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup XVI

Zelda
Altador Cup Sign-Ups are Now Open!
  • Posted by Zelda
  • Posted on June 1, 2021, 4:47 pm NST

The time we have been waiting for is here! Players across Neopia can now sign up to support their favorite teams in the 16th Annual Altador Cup at the Colosseum here.

If you can't find your team on the map, don't fear—you can also select from the team logos listed in alphabetical order along the bottom of the page. When you click on a shield, you'll see that team's roster of players for this year, and then you'll have one final chance to change your mind before you're committed for the entirety of ACXVI.

Once you've selected your team, you'll receive some sign up prizes. Check out our Sign Up Prizes guide for a full list. The new 16 year prize is this very shiny slushie:

Once you've joined a team, you'll find links to all four revamped HTML5 games so that you may begin practicing. (If you can load them.)

To keep up with the latest Altador Cup XVI news, be sure to keep an eye on Jellyneo, along with visiting our AC XVI hub:

(We'll also be posting some fun commentary on the match ups every few days—keep watch in our hub!)

UPDATE: TNT has posted on the official message board with a list of known issues (and some suggested workarounds). They've also included instructions on how you can help to report bugs—be sure to include your exact browser version and your operating system in the bug report, as there can be a lot of variation in terms of bugs between versions.

Having trouble signing up on mobile?
Apparently, signing up for a team is not working for some mobile users this year. If this includes you, here are some direct links to sign up:

bodhi, June 1, 2021 4:51 PM NST
Shenkuuuu!

I got the theme as well as the 10 year prize.

And another frame. Yay. :|
rodgerflint, June 1, 2021 4:55 PM NST
Man the new versions of these games are really awful
dillpickles, June 1, 2021 5:03 PM NST
I signed up...but I am very disappointed with the new versions of the games. I really hope they'll be able to tweak them between now and the first day of the cup, but...
SOSD is almost unplayable with how random and slow it is. You can no longer aim at a diagonal. Also, you can't tab through anymore.
Slushie Slinger doesn't have my team colors correct (showed Altador's colors, I think?), nor does it seem to actually have the customers showing the right slushies type they want (I've sent the type corresponding to what they want and watched it award only 2 points and change color). Also, it doesn't seem to always recognize input.
MSN seems to now require that you alternate the two keys rather than mash them at the same time in order to gain points.
And we're not even going to start on YYB. Just...wow.
begeorge2424, June 1, 2021 5:48 PM NST
@dillpickles You can still aim at a diagonal in SOSD (I think you have to be holding space/clicking)

Can anyone actually play YYB, I can't seem to...
dillpickles, June 1, 2021 5:59 PM NST
@begeorge2424 - that worked, thanks. It made game play a LITTLE better. A very little.

I can play YYB, but it's been super glitchy so far.
sycatt, June 1, 2021 6:00 PM NST
I signed up and got the 15 year gift The Great Golden Slushie. However, NONE of the games are loading for me. Apparently, after all these years of my dedication, I wont be playing this year.

Shame on Neopets for not ensuring that EVERYONE, no matter what modem of play, would be able to play the games. Just pure prejudice and laziness on their part. I know of other sites that put in the effort to insure that ALL of their games were playable for EVERYONE from mobile users to old desk top computer systems. I guess I'll just have to be happy playing on the other sites. I will miss playing on Neopets. It's been a part of my life for almost 16 years. And I really looked forward to playing YYB.
rosi, June 1, 2021 6:04 PM NST
Mhh the games won't even load for me. I guess I'll have to do some NoScript tweaking
crystalluxesparkle, June 1, 2021 6:23 PM NST
I do not know what you all are doing differently but the games are working great for me. I do not have NoScript or an adblocker as I run premium, so that may have something to do with the problems people are reporting.
rosi, June 1, 2021 6:25 PM NST
Premise: I don't own a mobile phone or any other device, so I can only play on a rather old pc. I use Firefox and NoScript for Neopets only.

SOSD is rather slow now because you have to fill up the whole power meter before releasing the space bar (and even with it, the Chia goalie will block the ball in most cases).
I followed begeorge's suggestion and tried to shoot diagonally. It helped a bit but I'm afraid SOSD will no longer be the most time-efficient game that we used to know
I also find the in-game rendering of the creepy Chia rather bad, with grey outlines, but it's a flaw that can be overlooked.

Then I tried to load YYB and got that weird message that during practice it can only be done fullscreen.
I activated the full-screen mode and before loading my whole browser FROZE!!!

So, all my fears that this new version would be unplayable for us 'old' users have turned real
premium17, June 1, 2021 6:32 PM NST
Cant get YYB to load, using a desktop and safari also a premium member
crystalluxesparkle, June 1, 2021 6:33 PM NST
Eugh, yeah, I'm specifically running a Windows 10 with 8GB ram that is less than 2 years old.
inkpot, June 1, 2021 6:40 PM NST
YYB is super laggy for me.......
Not even gonna try the others.
phenixia, June 1, 2021 7:03 PM NST
Maraqua, my favorite team! I can't wait to try the new games!
mariquita225, June 1, 2021 7:26 PM NST
For those having trouble with YYB, zoom your screen below 100%. I tried 67% and I was able to get in. Although it's a nightmare. Haunted Woods has two players who evidently switched positions and a player who retired 7 years ago is back on the team.
alli_draggy, June 1, 2021 7:55 PM NST
@sycatt
Probably less "prejudice and laziness" and more lack of resources and being screwed over by corporate.
alli_draggy, June 1, 2021 7:59 PM NST
Also, I'm pretty sure MSN has always been about alterating the keys - I got lower percentages when I mashed them both at once even back on the Flash version
ladyamethyst, June 1, 2021 8:02 PM NST
This is nothing short of painfully brutal.
Looks like I'll be buying the stamp this year.
recklesse, June 1, 2021 11:16 PM NST
Already seeing some complaints from ‘mobile only’ players that they can’t sign up.

All that hype about ‘going mobile’ and then they exclude mobile players at the first hurdle.
But it’s fine because it will be 100% mobile ‘next year’. Isn’t that what they promised last year?
sprite_83_4, June 2, 2021 12:21 AM NST
hmm, i’m lost. i cannot sign up on mobile; click and nothing happens. i read the official neoboard post and don’t quite understand. this issue will not be fixed? i have to go on desktop in order to sign up if i want to participate this year? i go on neo 100% mobile and have done so for the past few years. this is really disappointing. i don’t see how the signing up aspect is just going to be ignored.
apophis324, June 2, 2021 12:30 AM NST
Whahahaha, this is exactly what I expected would happen. What everyone expected would happen. The games don't work as they used to (or not at all, I tried Yooyuball once and it seemingly just gave me a still image of the start-up screen?) and people don't like that. Big surprise. Altador Cup has been cancelled this year, folks
recklesse, June 2, 2021 1:30 AM NST
-----

Yes. It's not going to be fixed this year. Bummer eh!?!
itaxerxes, June 2, 2021 4:26 AM NST
SOSD is almost unplayable and YYB isn't working at all and the prize is a useless slushie.
stories2btold, June 2, 2021 7:33 AM NST
Maybe this is a sign to let AC go? I usually get All-Star every year, but I still hate this boring event lol.
purplebin, June 2, 2021 8:39 AM NST
I'm glad I had already decided to cut my playing way back and not go for Triple All Star, but just enough to get the All Star trophy this time. The prizes were never worth that much work.
Looks like it's going to take that much effort anyway, though.
recklesse, June 2, 2021 9:31 AM NST
One bit of good news.

There's a thread on the Help Chat with links to sign up that bypass the map.

This means YOU CAN NOW SIGN UP ON MOBILE DEVICES!!
Maybe Jellyneo could list the links on their AC guide so they don't get lost on the neoboards.
neocoladude, June 2, 2021 10:07 AM NST
I was fully ready to roast JS about the performance of the games, but I went and zoomed out to 67% first like people said, and...YYB is running as it always it has from other years. I didn't try the other games though. I only ever play YYB during AC anyway, so...
apophis324, June 2, 2021 10:21 AM NST
"Just All-Star".. Alright... I usually strand somewhere around rank 12 XD

Anyway, what's up with the image they use on the main screen when logged out? I thought they booted that Faerieland Shoyru? They drew up a new image for this, sort of, but forgot that they were getting rid of that one player they put in front row? Huh...
logicalwhimsy, June 2, 2021 10:57 AM NST
I just can't believe it... I've been playing first Shockwave and then Flash games on the Internet for probaby twenty years. Even with Dial-Up they would (usually) load within five minutes. I sat there with my (albeit rather slow) broadband and had to wait over sixteen minutes (!) for Yooyuball to download on my Firefox ESR... only for it to just not work when I clicked "Play Now". I then went to the Boards to read Jumpstaff's post about zooming out of Full Screen mode... and I'm sorry but what? My Firefox's zoom options disappear in Full Screen mode so I don't get that. And I didn't fancy waiting another sixteen minutes to try it again as I would have had to re-download the game anyway.

THIS is what I was terrified was going to happen when Jumpstaff converted the website to the new layout. It was so image heavy I thought it would never load on my connection. As it turns out, the layout works fine for now (who knows what will happen when they introduce adverts...) but if this is what every game in the future is going to be like... URK. I joined Neopets for the games and this is just ridiculous.
thecrazyoo, June 2, 2021 11:29 AM NST
YYB won't load at all for me, but I can't be bothered to send a bug report, meh. Also they definitely ruined SOSD lol.

tbh I definitely expected this, given how poorly implemented the first non-flash games were.
surferboard_girl, June 2, 2021 11:49 AM NST
YYB didn't load for me at all and shoutout showdown was ~okay but WOW is Slushie Slinger annoying. TBF, this is the first time I've played the AC in...years and IDK the last time I played SS anyways, but the way it's set up, it's seemingly impossible to collect the cups AND serve drinks in any realistic timeframe? That could just be me, but it just wasn't an enjoyable game to actually play and having to click so many times to get to each belt/slushie machine is annoying.
dtolsen, June 2, 2021 12:09 PM NST
I am ticked at SOSD. Can't make even one goal. And SLSL is annoying now. Have to click the spacebar multiple times to do anything.
roshchodesh, June 2, 2021 3:01 PM NST
I feel badly for the almost palpable disappointment of so great a group of loyal players.
What a drag.
foxycleopatra, June 2, 2021 3:22 PM NST
I still can't get YYB to load the main "play now" screen on PC. I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and even IE. Cleared cache and cookies, checked blockers, and used the zoom out to 50%. Nothing. Very sad.
mamsmelk_jr, June 2, 2021 3:45 PM NST
It's sad that a lot of people have trouble getting the games to work. For some reason I don't have any trouble at all. granted my PC is pretty solid so that always helps (I also have an addblocker in case people are wondering). I'll have to practice a lot to find a new strategy for SOSD cause the keeper is a bit to fast for me now to get max score every time, but other than that the game is the same. MSN is no different than it was on flash, and same goes for SLS. YYB is fine as well, though the full screen thing annoys me. So to me it looks like the games itself work absolutely fine, it's the connection that's the problem (not being able to load the game, or the game being very slow are some of the problems that I've seen in the comments so far) I hope they manage to fix it so people without beefy PC's get to enjoy the AC as well.
contessa, June 2, 2021 5:03 PM NST
I was able to play SS and SoSd, but they were laggy. YYB won't load at all for me. One tip was to reduce your screen to 50% then play YYB at full screen but it still will not load for me. I will try another browser and see how that works.

I also received "invites" from a couple other players who I have never even seen before to join their teams, Krawks and I forget the other one.

As if!
LOST DESERT FOR THE CUP!
contessa, June 2, 2021 5:05 PM NST
Well, I had time so I went back and did the reduce your screen to 50% then click on play YYB at full screen. Just got a mostly blank screen but there was a bar near the top, I found out from the boards that it was a loading bar. Some people said they waited up to 15 minutes for the game to load, I think t was 6-7 mins for me. Anyway, I was able to play so that is good. We'll see how the whole tournament progresses...Oh, and there was a new power up - or power down as it was, it slowed everything down to a crawling pace. I will be VERY careful to avoid that one in the future!
contessa, June 2, 2021 5:06 PM NST
p.s. it looked like a clock
begeorge2424, June 2, 2021 6:26 PM NST
For me, I had to reduce the zoom to 50%, then reload the page, and YYB worked fine. Hopefully this helps...
pikachu315111, June 2, 2021 6:53 PM NST
My quick thoughts:

YOOYUBALL:
* Takes minute to load. (TNT knows issue)
* Steal Dash doesn't work well. This is a problem as it means can't steal dash the ball at start of each round.
* But that's alright since the computer isn't as eager to get the ball as you are. Can just run up, run down, and head to their goal without challenge. They'll sometimes chase you but eventually give up.
* BTW the steal dash works fine for the computer...
* Can't go to bottom corner and toss up as the ball hits the wall so bounces up and down...
* Auto player switching still annoying.
* Timer freezes after scoring a goal instead of decreasing by 8 seconds. This means each game will now take 3+ minutes to play (with the more goals you score the longer it'll take).
* Even after scoring a goal your teammates can still activate power-ups, wasting them.
* Clock/Slow Down power-up also makes your players slow, it's annoying (and unneeded as we have the Freeze). Want a new Power-up Idea: Shield (Puts two shields on each side of your goalie to make it harder for computer to score on them)
* Darigan Yooyu still annoying, please just make it shoot in the opposite direction like it originally did.
* Strange graphic glitches sometimes when showing goal picture.

SLUSHIE SLINGER:
* Inputs being eaten. (TNT knows issue)
* When there's a lot of customers on screen gets really laggy.
* Didn't feel like it was speeding up.
* Store wasn't the color of my team (Meridell; red & blue), it was set to Altador's colors (yellow & orange).

MAKE SOME NOISE:
* Accuracy Counter not working. (TNT knows issue)
* When I hit a bonus letter doesn't tell me if I got it or not, but the ones you do get still are counted at the end.

SHOOTOUT SHOWDOWN:
* Goalie going at random speeds is annoying, if you weren't going to change how it plays please change the goalie's movements back to how it was.
anomally, June 2, 2021 7:57 PM NST
I think I've gotten the frame and the Foreground for the last 5 times I've signed up.
premium17, June 3, 2021 7:30 AM NST
still not able to send a score in slushie slinger
scarletta, June 3, 2021 8:10 AM NST
I was really hoping I could use a browser with Flash to play the old versions, but I guess this won't be allowed. I can't play YYB no matter what I do, so I guess I'll have to sit on this one.
logicalwhimsy, June 3, 2021 11:28 AM NST
Sigh. I decided to be thorough this time:

Slushie Slinger - Download Size: 2mb
Shootout Showdown - Download Size: 7mb
Make Some Noise - Download Size: 7mb
Yooyuball - Download Size: 129mb(!)

The first three downloaded in roughly the time I would have expected playing the old versions (less than a minute), whilst Yooyuball took me a whole seventeen minutes this time. The big difference I noticed though was that the first three have actual load screens yet Yooyuball didn't, so if you have a slow connection there's no way of telling if the game is downloading unless you check either Task Manager/Ethernet Status under Network Connections (I'm Windows 10 v2004) or your equivalent. (The latter was how I checked the download size - your experience may vary.)

Like I said earlier, I run Firefox ESR v78 so this may not be helpful but I did manage to get Yooyuball to play by zooming out before putting the page on. Unfortunately, the game was awful. The crowd had flickering black boxes (presumably where animation frames were missing) and when you score the celebration screen only showed (for me) Derlynn Fonnet and the goalkeeper... everything else was black? Make Some Noise/Shootout Showdown were very jerky to the point where I switched them off instantly whilst Slushie Slinger... worked (albeit Altador not Kreludor-themed). Or at least as well as I remember it working on Vista as I haven't played it in at least five years. I guess that's what I'm playing this year.
roshchodesh, June 3, 2021 12:42 PM NST
Really need a special trophy for
● DID NOT PLAY ●
● COULD NOT PLAY ●
● TRIED TO PLAY ●
● REFUSED TO PLAY ●
● HATED PLAYING ●
● CRIED ●
or, my favourite,
● I QUIT ●
contessa, June 3, 2021 2:14 PM NST
JN Team, I know you just put up your page for AC XVI but would you please update the Daily link? When I click on it in My Dailies, it still takes me to the AC XV page.

I know you may still be working on this, I may be asking too soon
howdareyoufreezeme1 - JN Staff, June 3, 2021 2:22 PM NST
@contessa: should be all set now! thanks for the heads up!!
ladyamethyst, June 3, 2021 2:43 PM NST
At this point I would accept something like a Yooyu strike ala the past NHL lockouts IRL. "Negotiations" with Yooyus or something that puts this year over to the next.

Anything is better than actually trying to play the games as is.
lopiditty, June 3, 2021 2:52 PM NST
Outside the start glitch (managed to work around that), I don't have any issues with YYB. The game mentions Kreludor even though I'm with Haunted Woods though?
contessa, June 3, 2021 3:17 PM NST
Thank you howdareyoufreezeme1 - JN Staff! It works now, yay! I use my dailies here a LOT!
yekith, June 3, 2021 4:22 PM NST
After zooming out, yyb works for me on the desktop PC, but it's unplayable on my laptop (veeery slow motion). RAM is the same, so maybe it needs Windows 10, who knows! Hope they will fix whatever needs to be fixed cause I use the laptop more during the day.

Oh and by the way, when I played yyb last night it seemed to be automatically taking 8 second off the clock after each time I scored (before, you could kinda do that yourself by clicking out of the after-scoring images quickly).

MSN works fine on desktop and also on laptop if use Opera. but it's much harder to go over the minimum score. By the way, as someone who was best at that game (over the other games I mean -although well, I guess scoring over 9k often would have put me in a pretty good position in a MSN ranking too xD), I can say without a doubt that you had to click BOTH keys at the same time before. Didn't work if you alternated. It's still like that on computers, but now you have to alternate on mobile it seems.

SOSD is unplayable for me on both computer, all browsers. The dude is hyper fast while the ball is either too slow or jerky.

I don't play slsl.
thecrazyoo, June 4, 2021 3:55 PM NST
I managed to play yyb now with the zoom out workaround.
Honestly, the game is terrible to play eventhough it's just a remake of the flash game. It has so many bugs *on top of needing a workaround just to be able to play it*, it's ridiculous.