The Advent Calendar is here for all of December!
Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Create your own wishlists!
Take a tour of the entire planet of Neopia.

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Advent

Site Redesign: New Homepage, Sign Up, Log In Flows + Nav Menus
  • Posted on November 24, 2020, 7:13 pm NST

A new update to the Neopets site redesign—v0.4—is now live! This update contains a number of changes:

1) The "logged out" experience has been revamped. This includes the homepage, the login page, the registration page (only initial account creation), and username/password recovery.

The new homepage, when logged out:

The sign up page:

The login page:

2) The Community and Shops nav buttons have been given dropdowns. The shops menu has even been split into "NP" and "NC" submenus, with new quick links to things like Shenanigifts and Wonderclaw:

3) World maps have received text links as a replacement. At least until they receive a makeover in the style of Mystery Island earlier this year. This change is likely temporary.

4) Lastly, ICYMI, the Neopets help page now lives on Jumpstart.com. You can also find the old FAQs from the support center that existed before the vendor switch a few years ago.

Coming down the pipeline to the beta redesign:

Winter theme(s) will be converted soon for the holiday season. We've also been looking at features like Create-a-Pet, the NC Mall, the Safety Deposit Box and your Stock portfolio. However, our primary focus for the remainder of the year will be converting as many Flash elements on the site as possible.

sapphire_sapphic, November 24, 2020 7:18 PM NST
9feels, November 24, 2020 7:29 PM NST
cool! i never see the logged out page lol
cat, November 24, 2020 10:32 PM NST
I hope they upgrade the NC Mall and Expellibox, as well as flash dailies like Lunar Temple and the wheels.
nobody, November 25, 2020 12:16 AM NST
I REALLY hope they fix the blatant security issue where your PASSWORD is shown when you type it in. We won't be able to log in while in a public place, or with friends or family near the computer, or while live streaming. It's a terrible flaw.
nobody, November 25, 2020 12:19 AM NST
Wait, NOPE, we're fine, WE'RE GOOD. On a larger screen you can see there's an option to show password, with a checkbox you can click! Crisis averted.
abtaylorxo, November 25, 2020 12:36 AM NST
I hate it so much. I hope it's like Facebook in that there is a "keep classic theme" feature...
thepapercutjellyfish, November 25, 2020 12:45 AM NST
are they going to be updating the maps that are already non-flash (brightvale/altador)? I hope not.. I prefer that style over the mystery island one. At least layout wise anyways.
1jediboy, November 25, 2020 1:19 AM NST
Beautiful!

I’m hoping that, if they are updating the stock portfolio, they also make a few changes to some of the companies on the Neodaq. Maybe that could be a new random contest?

When are they going to update the pound? There’s been a board about the pound from gutterfoot for a few weeks now.
catsrnice, November 25, 2020 6:38 AM NST
The signed out homepage looks like the old petpet park site.
contessa, November 25, 2020 7:20 AM NST
Well I am glad I came here before logging in to Neo - Wow is that bright! (Jhudora -huge and bright purple and green - shudder) I am not a fan of the new art at all.

I agree with abtaylorxo above who mentioned keeping the classic view but I really, really doubt that will be an option unfortunately.
galifan, November 25, 2020 8:00 AM NST
I hope they fix the Pound.
apophis324, November 25, 2020 9:26 AM NST
I see a problem that's very typical for the new Neopets. Things that don't fit on a screen. Under Community you see your online Neofriends (a bit sad to have to find those under a drop-down menu, but okay), but it doesn't fit in the drop-down menu. FIT THEM SOMEWHERE ELSE if they don't fit where you plan to put them. You simply can't roll the website out like this.

And, personal gripe, is that everything is too.. in your face. Graphics everywhere. No calming white, everything needs a colour and shading. I'll probably get used to it eventually ^^;
topaz644, November 25, 2020 12:10 PM NST
The idea that security questions will come along is good, but will we get https? Browsers are going to start asking questions, and it's not just about flash.
topaz644, November 25, 2020 12:12 PM NST
The latest update to Firefox asks do we want to enable 'don't allow' for non https websites
roshchodesh, November 25, 2020 12:30 PM NST
I agree with you, apophis324, the graphics are intrusive and garish. Twenty-one years later and they've gone from witty college thoughtful design and fun, to clunky day care .
mexxy, November 25, 2020 3:36 PM NST
wish they'd focus more on site speed / their constant server latency issues

a new site design is a waste if it takes you 6+ seconds to travel page to page
crystalluxesparkle, November 25, 2020 4:48 PM NST
I love that the new design make Neopets FEEL like a game, it's always bothered me how the site presents like some kind of social media site when it is technically a game.

Re: Server Latency
I'm on another site that's having to do basically the same thing Neo is, and I'm wondering if Neo is having the same problem they are. They are uploading the non-flash renders of flash assets to the server before launching them live, and it's causing back end server issues that present as lag on the site itself.
crystalluxesparkle, November 25, 2020 4:50 PM NST
-c-

Which in that case if that's what's causing the current round of lag (I made the account I'm on in September and the lag I'm experiencing is pretty new, at least) then I personally am apt to think it'll improve once the process of mass converting swf files to other formats ends.
masterdeals, November 25, 2020 6:48 PM NST
@Dave Patapualt will be rotating it's totem shop stock soon, it's on the latest news.
alli_draggy, November 25, 2020 7:19 PM NST
I actually really like the images on the login screen, reminds me of what Tumblr did. Hoping that we get a dark mode or something since the yellow is kinda bright, but I do feel that it nicely captures Neopets' vibe.
icecream, November 25, 2020 7:38 PM NST
Did anyone else suddenly get logged out and cant log back in? C:
i_love_latin, November 25, 2020 10:54 PM NST
Oh hey icecream, I just came over to ask the same thing...apparently it's been going on for a bit.
chloe685, November 25, 2020 11:35 PM NST
I think apophis324 and roshchodash summed it up well, neopets is downgrading to garish daycare design. It kind of reminds me of webkinz, or at least my faint memories of how that site was set up, very confined and chunky, almost claustrophobic, like you can feel that you're in a safe, PG bubble. Which may very well be their intent, but they're not reading the room. The majority of their player base is not little kids, and honestly it has always had plenty of adult players because of its history of...not being excessively childish.

I get the need to simplify when refining for mobile use, but...idk why this comparison popped into my head, but it's like the site has gone from refined Lego blocks with endless possibilities to the chunky and less versatile toddler Lego Duplo blocks. I love neo but I'm very wary of where this redesign is headed.
sakibou, November 26, 2020 4:29 AM NST
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that the ENTIRE front page is dedicated to things that cost money? An entire half of the page for merchandise, then a bunch of Neocash ads (under a section labeled "Featured News & Updates" no less!).

Like, I understand Jumpstart needs to make money to keep the site afloat. But surely they don't think they'll be tempting anyone new into signing up when there's not even a single indication of what sort of actual entertainment is available on the site. Just various ways to spend some cash. v_v
uv_goth, November 26, 2020 5:44 AM NST
Anyone else notice the Befriending Dome FAQ? Surely that was an April Fool's joke?
icecream, November 26, 2020 1:17 PM NST
Oof, I still cant log in ;w;
apophis324, November 27, 2020 7:26 AM NST
An interesting question just came to mind. Neopets aims to be a kids friendly website. Fair, despite their main playerbase being anything but children (though maybe young at heart ^^). They redesign their website to appeal to kids. Fair (but please give us adults a lite version!!).
Then why are there Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube buttons under the Community drop-down? Those are websites kids, by each website's guidelines, are not allowed to visit and/or be active on until a certain age (usually around 13).

So.. what gives? Am I overthinking things.. or is that a weird oversight of some sorts?
crystalluxesparkle, November 27, 2020 8:03 AM NST
I personally hadn't noticed the social media links, and I find that bothersome as well. I personally don't do social media because I like MUCH stronger moderation and the site owners to have tighter reins on things, all these people who want Neo to stop being PG need to realize there are a LOT of adults out there that honestly prefer a PG environment. And I have seen people post concerns anytime the site being made not PG is brought up, so I know I'm not alone...
dave - JN Staff, November 27, 2020 8:26 AM NST
Neopets has had social media links on the site well before Jumpstart came into the picture. (You could even log into Neopets using your Facebook account up until recently.) It's just likely that you had the links hidden via your Account Preferences. I wouldn't really call links to the official Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram profiles out of the ordinary.
apophis324, November 29, 2020 4:39 AM NST
@dave
Ah, right, there are account preferences for that. Hopefully those work on the new version of the website as well. To protect our children.
Because I find links to official social media channels at the bottom of a page one thing, but to have them in the Community tab, where things like the Neoboards (should) also go is another thing entirely. One misclick and your kid is launched to a place they are not supposed to go, or where parents would rather not have their kids go.

So, out of the ordinary, no. In less, but not exactly poor, taste, yes.
dave - JN Staff, November 29, 2020 7:48 AM NST
@apophis324: If you're that worried about your kids visiting a social media site, you should probably be taking bigger precautions at your home networking level instead of relying on a website to hide links for you... Social media links are pretty standard everywhere nowadays. Having the option to hide them on Neopets would be like the one website in the world that caters to that, haha.
apophis324, November 30, 2020 12:04 AM NST
Thank heavens I don't have any kids to worry about ^^ I was originally just pointing it out as strange for a "kids site" to link to websites kids aren't allowed to go
chloe685, November 30, 2020 8:50 PM NST
I agree that the social media links being so "in-the-open" and not off on a dedicated page somewhere seems a little odd, but mostly just because I remember when offsite linking on neopets used to be such a no-no, and they seem to have really relaxed that over the years. And to clarify my previous comment, I think neopets should stay a PG environment, but that doesn't mean it needs to look all cushy and primary-colored like it's designed for little kids, if that makes sense lol.
alexisdawn, December 1, 2020 6:09 AM NST
Will we always be able to go back to the classic site? The new site stinks!!!! I tried it and it is so much more difficult to navigate. Also, is there a way to quickly get rid of stuff in my inventory? It has me doing it one by one!
i_love_latin, December 1, 2020 9:28 PM NST
I still can't login either, icecream...I'm missing Advent prizes because of it :/