Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
Join a large Neopets community!
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!
Create your own wishlists!

Site Updates

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword Answers | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle

Trading Post History Tagging Returns
  • Posted on July 4, 2017, 11:55 am NST

We are very excited to announce that we have re-opened up our Trading Post Tagging system! What is that? Read on!

As some of you may know, we have been keeping a record of all the Trading Post lots that we can find since late 2014, which is accessible from any item's info page in the Item Database.

With Trading Post Tagging, you can help us tag the prices in the lots to make the histories easier to read! Our long term goal, once we have enough data built up, is to provide summaries of the TP histories so you don't need to go through each lot individually when researching an item.

Here's a sample:

How Does It Work?
Read the guidelines before getting started. Then, visit the tagging page to tag a lot.

You'll receive points for each lot that you tag correctly. You will receive a jnAccount trophy based on the number of points you accumulate, along with the chance to compete every month for a top spot on the leaderboard.

You must have a jnAccount to participate, so log in or register today!

Get Tagging »
purplebin, 07/4/2017, 12:19 pm NST
I found this had opened again the other day, and saw I already had hundreds of points for the month!
So now I have something else to do to keep from doing more important stuff I'm trying to avoid...

dave - JN Staff, 07/4/2017, 12:33 pm NST
@purplebin: We didn't remove the old submissions from when we had to shut down the system last June, so those were some leftover points waiting for you.

We've also made a lot of improvements to the backend since, so we're able to filter out a lot more lots now that can be automatically tagged.

purplebin, 07/4/2017, 1:03 pm NST
Yeah, I like that there are way fewer "junk" lots with no prices to tag!

maggma99, 07/4/2017, 1:08 pm NST
Yay! I loved the Trading Post Tagger. It's great to see it come back!

recklesse, 07/5/2017, 5:43 am NST
Lol, spot the trades that were posted during Charity Corner!

maknaetani, 07/5/2017, 9:36 am NST
I was really excited when I noticed a while ago that this was back up! I was a really fervent tagger for a few months and even managed to get a gold monthly trophy. ^^
Question! Would it be possible to update the links from the trophies so that they redirect to the correct page?

dave - JN Staff, 07/5/2017, 1:59 pm NST
@maknaetani: Good catch! Thanks for reminding me to go do that.

Speaking of trophies, though, we'll have some new ones coming up in the next couple weeks...

lia_19_85, 07/6/2017, 9:34 pm NST
Would it be possible to show the lots that you tagged incorrectly? I remember I had a couple last time and I was SO curious what I did wrong. Could also help to avoid doing the same mistake over and over.

dave - JN Staff, 07/6/2017, 9:54 pm NST
@lia_19_85: That's something we'll consider in the future. In the meantime, one of our to-do's is to also have a little "training" series with some sample lots that you would tag and get instant results to see what you may or may not have done correctly.

lia_19_85, 07/9/2017, 3:32 am NST
Ok cool! Thanks dave .

will, 07/9/2017, 10:36 pm NST
@dave I'm not sure I'm fond of the new restriction which disallows refreshing for a new lot. If it's going to remain like this, we need much more comprehensive guidelines. For example, guidelines on the following classes of lots: lots with price/item count mismatches, lots that only quote JN/TP price (or other value) but do not have an asking price, lots of the same item where the divided price is not an integer, or those infamous lots of jellies (seriously, should we divide the price on those)?

There are also A LOT of lots with grammar that's just plain ambiguous (e.g., about whether their price is on each item or total) which I skip

The guidelines page needs updating regardless - it still says "If you are ever in doubt, refresh the page to get a new trade!"

will, 07/9/2017, 10:37 pm NST
I'm inevitably missing some of the frustrating types of lots, but I've made my point.

@Others please feel free to chime in with the ones that annoy you.

meercatristonhopets3, 07/10/2017, 2:11 pm NST
@will, instead of refreshing, click on the 'next trade' button down the page, it seems like it'll give you a new lot with no repeats like it used to be (and the url will change - from something like ?offset=10 to ?offset=11, so maybe that's why you can't refresh anymore)

dave - JN Staff, 07/10/2017, 8:19 pm NST
@will @meercatristonhopets3: That button was freshly added this morning after a brief 12 hour or so hiatus.

The reason for "Next Trade" instead of refreshing for a new one is because we changed the way lots are presented. Instead of picking a random one from the queue, everyone is now shown the same ordering of lots that you haven't submitted tags for before. This should result in you getting your points much more quickly since it's less random, and hopefully that means we power through lots a little more quickly.