Vonroo alert!

Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!
Discover the characters of Neopia in our Book of Ages!
Look sophisticated while chatting on the Neoboards
Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!

Site Updates

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword Answers | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle

Costume Contest: Round 2 Now Open
  • Posted on October 16, 2016, 10:02 am NST

The second round of our Costume Contest is now open! Go vote!

We have moved back to our regular voting style for round two. You are given three votes, and you may vote for whichever costumes made it to this round. (The top rated 75 pets from round one moved on. If your costume didn't make it, never fear! It could show up as a staff pick at the end. :D)

You may vote for three different pets, three of the same pets, or however you want to spread your votes around! You just may not vote for yourself.

As a reminder, please only use one jnAccount to vote. Last year we disqualified a handful of people that made the contest unfair by voting on several accounts. :(

» Vote In Round 2 Now «
surferaj, 10/16/2016, 10:30 am NST
Glad to see that some very cute Halloween Costumes managed to make it to the 2nd Round.

lunaxporch, 10/16/2016, 10:35 am NST
It's always so hard to decide. Good luck everyone

surferaj, 10/16/2016, 10:54 am NST
I agree about the difficulty in deciding which costumes to vote for. I sort of think having 5 Votes would be better for the 2nd Round.

roshchodesh, 10/16/2016, 2:16 pm NST
I need some criteria. Do you judge with the background, the scene, or just the costume? I am hard pressed to vote for a costume that is made up of items already specifically named that character. I love when entrants use a bunch of stuff to create their costume. You know, like homemade Superman costume vs store bought costume.

melinda_kacheek, 10/16/2016, 3:32 pm NST
My pet managed to make it into Round 2? Tell me I am dreaming!

Good luck! I tend to vote on both the character and the costume. If it's familiar and appealing, then I vote.

dave - JN Staff, 10/16/2016, 3:35 pm NST
My criteria tends to be "given how the costume is described, does the pet actually look true to form". To be honest, I don't care so much if the costume comes from an "outfit" because they still had to take a step to be creative and actually name it that and find a pet that it works with. Put another way, I don't personally vote for any of the "Ghosts" or "Pirates". Costume theme originality is key for me.

dave - JN Staff, 10/16/2016, 3:36 pm NST
But of course, everyone votes differently. I just so happen to get lucky and get to name some entries as staff picks if not everyone else likes them as much.

marfbear, 10/16/2016, 4:12 pm NST
Love the Crazy Cat Lady - who'd of thought you could get five different cats in one customization.

xid, 10/16/2016, 4:13 pm NST
Congrats to those that went to Round 2!
My pet didn't make it, though I didn't expect her to. The little twist I gave to her costume mildly amuses me, but my intention wasn't clear in the description and I knew there were better ones competing anyway. ^^

Now, I picked my favourites and still had 19. After careful consideration, I'm still stuck at..13.
This is not easy!

gamer_5_55_555, 10/16/2016, 4:27 pm NST
I mainly vote for creativity -- how well you combine the pieces for your presentation.

I'm not interested in costumes from pieces intended to go together, or used as named.

tomatereloco, 10/16/2016, 4:37 pm NST
I usually vote por creativity (particularly if it's funny ), and if the costume matches the description.

inkpot, 10/16/2016, 6:17 pm NST
wait wait wait... skullkid didn't make it?! he was my fav.
aaugh... heartbroken. whoever his owner was, just know that he was dressed perfectly! ;u;

rosi, 10/16/2016, 6:26 pm NST
Ohmyword! My boy made it to round two!! When my sister hinted at it, I was expecting her entry, because it was more beautiful than mine (but also an older character) and I was searching for her pet's name before the images loaded, and then I saw mine, and almost fell out of the chair! I would never have thought one of our pets would make it past the first round! Especially because my silly, funny little character went unnoticed when I first entered it a few years ago. This year it is an upgraded and more accurate version so perhaps it is more recognizable (sadly you can't see the animated background)
All I have to say is thank you SOOOO much to all the people who voted for him *hugs*

rosi, 10/16/2016, 6:27 pm NST
I have one question though. The rules say you can't vote for your pet, but the 'vote' button is available under my pet. I don't want to risk an opportunity trying to click on his name and maybe getting an error message and basically wasting one of my votes.
So, what *actually* happens if you click on your own pet's name in round 2?
And if you get an error message stating your vote doesn't count, can you still use all of your 3 votes on other pets?

dave - JN Staff, 10/16/2016, 8:42 pm NST
@rosi: You can go ahead and safely click it to find out. It won't take your vote. You'll just get a tsk tsk message.

ania_que, 10/16/2016, 9:25 pm NST
Yay! My pet made it to round 2!

Some awesome entries. Its really hard to pick just 3 to vote for.

cat, 10/17/2016, 2:20 am NST
My pet didn't make it oh well.

I think my biggest thing is that the customization has to look good. A customization that's creative or does a good job recreating a character is nice, but if it looks bad, bland or boring I'm not going to vote for it.

cat, 10/17/2016, 2:24 am NST
@rosi - When I've tried voting for my pet in the past I just got a pop-up telling me not to vote for my pet. My vote wasn't wasted so if you want you can try voting for your pet just for dung and jocularity but you might as well cast your votes for pets you're actually allowed to vote on.

rosi, 10/17/2016, 7:24 am NST
Ahah Thank you Dave & Cat

Now, I still have a dozen favourites and only 3 votes. This will be a tough choice.
Good luck everybody

lucy_haha, 10/17/2016, 9:04 am NST
This... is really tough. lol

surferaj, 10/17/2016, 10:41 am NST
@Dave -- Originality is a key in my voting as well.

The Cat Lady theme was fun and unique along with the great use of all Neopian cat varieties. That said, Cat Lady's outfit was a bit of a miss; not nearly eccentric enough. Perhaps being barefooted counts for eccentric attire; no not really.

surferaj, 10/17/2016, 10:44 am NST
@Dave -- I'll be looking forward to seeing your Staff Picks this year.

dave - JN Staff, 10/17/2016, 1:00 pm NST
To clarify on staff picks as well, we query the staff and ask everyone to post 5 nominations for costumes that didn't make it to round 3. If 2-3 staffers nominate you, then you get the pick (unless we have wayyy too many in which case it's 10ish of the most nominated)

cat, 10/17/2016, 2:21 pm NST
@surferaj - For me it was partly the outfit (it's more "hobo" than "eccentric" to me) and partly the background, which doesn't really look like someone's house let alone a cat-house. I know that NC item limits can be a problem here as there were probably some better NC backgrounds or background items that could have been used to flesh things out, but whatever.

cat, 10/17/2016, 2:26 pm NST
Though, that and being a cat person I actually find the crazy cat lady stereotype to be somewhat offensive, so I wouldn't have voted for it anyway.

roshchodesh, 10/17/2016, 2:34 pm NST
@cat I agree with you about the stereotype being somewhat offensive
=^..^=

roshchodesh, 10/18/2016, 9:15 am NST
"Hail, Hail, Freedonia, land of the brave and free" was my number one favourite. It was outstanding, and unfortunately its brilliance may have been lost on those unfamiliar with the timeless wit of the Marx Brothers. I only wish I had gotten the name of the entrant so I could have told them!

surferaj, 10/18/2016, 9:43 am NST
@Dave -- It makes total sense that the Staff picks are made based on costumes that got into the 2nd Round, but didn't make it into Round 3. It's some added recognition for creativity and substance that might not get the popular vote.

surferaj, 10/18/2016, 9:57 am NST
@Cat & Roshchodesh -- We can always find examples of extremes, but when the term "Crazy" becomes part of an accepted generalization, is not particularly amusing or sensitive.

surferaj, 10/18/2016, 10:10 am NST
@Roshchodesh -- I totally agree; the brilliance would likely be lost on newer generations who tend to be consumed with popular culture. All the 2016 JN Halloween Costume Entrants are still available for view. The Pet wearing the "Hail, Hail Freedonia" costume is tintin100neo. The owner of that Neopet is BigTinTin.

surferaj, 10/18/2016, 10:14 am NST
Duck Soup is now widely considered among critics to be a masterpiece of comedy, and the Marx Brothers' finest film. In 1990 the United States Library of Congress deemed Duck Soup "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry.

lucy_haha, 10/19/2016, 6:42 am NST
What if we get to round 3 but not getting top 10? Do we get participation trophies only with no chance of staff pick?

roshchodesh, 10/20/2016, 12:03 pm NST
@surferaj -- Wow, thank you for all of your very thoughtful comments and for providing me with the Freedonia costume designer's name! I am happy to learn we can see all of the original submissions.