Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!
Earn NP from playing games!
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!

Site Updates

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword Answers | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle

Costume Contest: Voting Now Open!
  • Posted on October 8, 2016, 8:33 am NST

Our Costume Contest is now open for voting!

Just like last year, round one is a rating round. You have the opportunity to rate all entries with a "Yay" (aka a thumbs up if you like it) or a "Nay" (aka a thumbs down if you don't like it). The 75 pets with the highest cumulative ratings will move on to the next round, where normal voting resumes.

Also, if you vote for all 249 entries this year, you'll get an extra bonus vote to use in round three, where the voting really counts!

And as a quick warning as in year's past, please only use one jnAccount to vote. Last year we had to disqualify a handful of people that made the contest unfair by voting on several accounts. :(

» Vote Now «
rosi, 10/8/2016, 8:42 am NST
Wow! I love many costumes this year !
Congrats everybody

surferaj, 10/8/2016, 8:47 am NST
Wow! It took quite an effort to complete voting in the 1st Round this year. Kudos to all the rule abiding submissions! Good luck to all.

surferaj, 10/8/2016, 10:18 am NST
Hope Neopian Nation is still not asleep on this glorious fall Saturday. Time to VOTE in the JN Halloween Costume Contest everyone... It's tedious, but that's the only way a winner can be determined. Excuse me... I'm still full of B-Day Cake and Whine from my B-Day celebration!

tyuio_k50, 10/8/2016, 10:39 am NST
Can we talk for a moment how there's an entry implying Hillary Clinton won US presidency? lol

jimmycarlos, 10/8/2016, 11:15 am NST
Frida Kahlo, Link and Trixie Mattel are my favourites.

meercatristonhopets3, 10/8/2016, 11:36 am NST
I think my favorites are Thor, Medusa and PPAP

butterflyvj, 10/8/2016, 12:03 pm NST
I'm amazed at the 249 entries! It's going to be tough to pick this year, there's so many enjoyable ones. Good luck, everyone!

lunaxporch, 10/8/2016, 12:33 pm NST
Lots of nice costumes this year. Good luck to everyone who entered.

cat, 10/8/2016, 2:59 pm NST
Lots of nice entries this year, finals are going to be tough.

I'm a bit mixed on froozness, on the one hand it's a great customization, on the other though the pet's a UC and it violates the "you must have at least one item of actual clothing on your pet" rule.

---
There's also a couple entries for Donald Trump. Besides, at this point Hillary's pretty much got it in the bag, lol.

purplebin, 10/8/2016, 3:03 pm NST
That took a long time, mostly because I had to look up at least half of the characters.

cat, 10/8/2016, 3:19 pm NST
There seem to be a lot of Ghostbusters, Ice Queen/Princesses and clowns this year.

So far my favorites are A fancy mushroom (seriously, good use of that armless mallow), Miss Krampus, and the JS service rep.

cat, 10/8/2016, 3:28 pm NST
dressed as Uhura from Star Trek
---
And as a Trekkie I just can't upvote this. It gets the character so wrong, you'd have been better off doing Tasha if you wanted to have a Trek action girl.

marfbear, 10/8/2016, 6:01 pm NST
Boy are there a lot of characters that I've never heard of before (I'm really old). Going to have to look them up so I can make informed decisions. I'm tired already - lol.

surferaj, 10/8/2016, 7:10 pm NST
No DEBATE about it... ChaChaBoobie is on top of the outcome in November.

vincent7577, 10/8/2016, 7:40 pm NST
Watch the democratic national convention or the republican national convention from a few months back it's all implied that they just picked the next president lol

mollyscribbles, 10/8/2016, 8:23 pm NST
oh for -- rule of thumb: If you can't remember the name of the character your pet is dressed as, my vote will reflect your lack of effort.

marfbear, 10/8/2016, 9:01 pm NST
Finally finished - whew! There were some great entries this year. I have to say that I downvoted pets that were dressed entirely in ready made costumes. Even though they looked great, I think that's too easy.

morganjoisle, 10/8/2016, 9:57 pm NST
I'm na get my votes done tomorrow, just woke up and I don't trust small cellphone screens for something as important as costume contest voting!

Loll, well, I really hope that we don't have Hillary win the costume contest AND the election in November. Very creative of ChaChaBoobie, but a neopet can't quite accurately capture the face of either Hillary or Trump, and I'm worried that you'll get additional votes based on political association :p

Could be a good move for ya, not a bad costume by any means but not my favourite. That there are so many comments on it leads me to believe your costume may be the most popular, and that may be a bad thing for other entries.

morganjoisle, 10/8/2016, 10:02 pm NST
aka ChaChaBoobie your costume is so popular, try not to win, lollllll. You're probably everyone's biggest competition. Congratulations!!! That's a great achievement, to have everyone commenting about your costume in the first round. *claps*

mollyscribbles, 10/8/2016, 10:06 pm NST
I don't care for the political costumes; I'm in Canada and we hear enough about an election we have no say in as it is.

morganjoisle, 10/8/2016, 10:25 pm NST
@mollyscribbles: I'm sure if there are any kids under eighteen left playing neopets with Jn accounts that they would feel the same way. Kind of refreshing to hear someone not hung up/obsessed with the election. Everyone in the US seems to be.

morganjoisle, 10/8/2016, 11:07 pm NST
Hmm, there really must've been less costumes this year than last year. I feel like voting went a lot quicker for me.

I think that my standards have grown higher as I've gotten older and seen more customizations, too. A lot of this year's costumes I would've voted yay for in years past, but I ended up voting nay a lot this year. I think in part it's that I've seen similar customizations to a lot of the costumes in previous contests, and so I saw concepts as less original than I did previously.

I'll always be a sucker for good old "dress like a neopian character" costumes, though. The Apple Bobbing Bart, even if it's not the most original idea in the book, was executed well and did a good enough job of portraying Bart that it won my vote.

inkpot, 10/9/2016, 12:05 am NST
i found a lot of the costume descriptions funnier than the costumes themselves. voted that way and along with things that were unique, looked the part and weren't overplayed to death from previous years.

overall, voting was really fun! can't wait to see who makes it to the next round! i already have a favorite! ^o^

peanutbutter_n_jelly, 10/9/2016, 8:04 am NST
Congratz to all the effort that went into this year's costumes. Was both fun and exhausting to go through and vote.

jadedone23, 10/9/2016, 12:08 pm NST
Lots of good ones this year, but like someone noted above, lots I wasn't familiar with.

cat, 10/9/2016, 3:11 pm NST
Finally finished!

I feel like there was more costume variety this year. Though, there was also a lot more overuse of premade costumes. Then again, that could be that there were a lot more NP only or mainly NP costumes than in previous years.

cloonshannagh, 10/9/2016, 3:49 pm NST
Wonderful costumes! And, yes, I had to look up a few. But it is always fun to discover new (to me *lol*) books and movies. Besides, Banna had great fun dressing BluBunnyBaby.

tyuio_k50, 10/9/2016, 6:23 pm NST
@vincent7577 @cat More than anything I'm shocked that they allowed political entries, more so that one implies winning Even the Trump ones.

Dear goodness, this election...

Bozo vs The Wicked Witch of the North. Nobody wins.

dillpickles, 10/10/2016, 8:38 am NST
I'm also surprised that any political costumes were allowed. I get enough of that mess in the news, I don't need to see it on JN! Bleh.

vincent7577, 10/10/2016, 9:05 am NST
@tyuio- I submitted one of them and I'm surprised I was accepted

But if you think about it there's nothing against it in the rules, as long as it fits inside the requirements it's good to go

Besides, if people don't agree with it they can always vote nay, in a silent vote of protest

morganjoisle, 10/10/2016, 1:36 pm NST
@dillpickles: At least it's not in a main news post or anything. I mean, I guess I would probably be annoyed to scroll through and see fifty comments on presidential candidates in relation to the costumes or something like that, but as a costume in the contest I figure they're fair game. I mean we had Miley Cyrus win a few years back, so real life people all over the media aren't really off limits.

Neopets definitely 100% has a strict policy against politics, but Jellyneo has always been more moderate all across the board with rules. I did not necessarily expect to see four presidential candidate costumes, but I didn't see a reason why they would be rejected.

morganjoisle, 10/10/2016, 1:41 pm NST
@dillpickles: That said, neopets is a safe space to all of us. I expect to not have to read about real life events on neopets. It's a relaxing downtime and kind of an escape from the real world, which is great at the end of the day. A lot of people really crave that (or at least I do, personally).

It makes sense to want that to extent to Jellyneo. I don't think that a few costumes in the contest is going to ruin the healthy escapism of the neopets and Jellyneo experience for anyone, though. It's not like a third of the costume contest entries are politicians, it's only four of two hundred or so. (Plus as vincent7577 said, you can always vote nay on those entries. )

cat, 10/10/2016, 3:37 pm NST
@tyuio_k50 - yeah that did surprise me, but mainly because TNT doesn't allow political talk on the neoboards. JN's rules didn't really disregard it so I guess it's allowed. The Burnie Sanders one though I had to vote nay to, not that I don't like Burnie but that was using a complete set of elderly clothes so it wasn't that well done.

dillpickles, 10/10/2016, 5:37 pm NST
@morganjoisle "It's a relaxing downtime and kind of an escape from the real world, which is great at the end of the day. A lot of people really crave that (or at least I do, personally)."
Here, too. It was just another of those, "Seriously, this AGAIN!?" moments. Ah, well.

firenrocks, 10/10/2016, 7:21 pm NST
Lady Oscar! :O
That one is my favorite of them all because I love the manga/anime so much <3

firenrocks, 10/10/2016, 7:57 pm NST
People sure did go crazy with those doll eyes.

ziporen, 10/10/2016, 10:55 pm NST
@cat: Actually, only the shoes and trousers are PB clothes.

---

Super nervous to see how round one turns out. I wanted to do something relatively simple and unknown, but I might have gone a bit /too/ simple and unknown. |D;

Good luck, everyone!

cat, 10/11/2016, 1:45 am NST
@ziporen - Ah, you're right. In that case it is a well put together outfit. Though, I probably would still have voted against him because IDK his costume was well put together but the surroundings weren't all that inspired.

surferaj, 10/11/2016, 8:09 am NST
There are various costumes included in this contest that on Neopets would be taboo. The political entries are far less contraversial compared to a few others.

vincent7577, 10/11/2016, 8:18 am NST
@Cat- the sanders one didn't use all elderly PB clothes, I changed a bit of it up (There were no good pants and I forgot to look at other shoes though, whoops!)

sanityisoverrated, 10/11/2016, 1:06 pm NST
Neocash the kacheek really wanted to enter but alas:

She's not able to wear enough items.

Her costume?

"Missing Neocash".

froststar936, 10/12/2016, 9:03 pm NST
Sorry, I will automatically downvote anything Donald Trump-related. It's like an instinct of mine at this point, regardless of how good the costume is...

There are some really good ones this year, and I love how they did a Darigan pet as the Beast. Pretty sure there's all sorts of "Beauty and the Beast" romances in the Citadel, with the curse imagery and all.

froststar936, 10/12/2016, 9:07 pm NST
Also, my elementary school Danny Phantom fangirl definitely showed when I saw a certain entry.

elphapa_the_wicked, 10/13/2016, 12:25 pm NST
I had a serious debate about how recognizable mine would be. (I am an adult who still watches cartoons, hence the "Mable Pines" Gravity Falls theme for mine) but honestly it was super fun either way. Love the Mushroom

ummy - JN Staff, 10/14/2016, 6:46 am NST
I don't watch Gravity Falls and I instantly recognized it

surferaj, 10/14/2016, 2:23 pm NST
Just my opinion... But pick your favorite on merit; how well they they depicted the theme and/or character. -- Unfortunate example is Neopets themed Fisherm that apparently forgot to dress their Pet with the NP Wearable Kacheef Fishing Pole. Funny... but also sad.

dave - JN Staff, 10/14/2016, 5:26 pm NST
@surferaj: I was sad when I saw that one too

lucy_haha, 10/15/2016, 7:22 am NST
Sooo... Round 1 is going to end today right?