Restrictions for New Accounts
The world of Neopia has many exciting things to do, but not all of them are immediately available to new players. If you've just joined the site, or you're a long-time player using a new account, here's a list of activities that you'll have to wait a while to try.
Note that your account age might not be the only thing stopping you from playing the game normally. No matter how old your account is, you'll need to create or adopt your first Neopet before you can access a lot of the site's basic features. 55 species is a lot to choose from, we know, but you can always change your mind later, so take the plunge and pick a favourite!
You'll also need to activate your new account by linking it to a valid email address before you can enjoy the site to its fullest. If you don't have an email address already, create a free one online -- all that matters is that The Neopets Team can use it to contact you.
What do you MEAN, I'm too young?
One of the first things a new player might want to do is make friends. However, you won't be able to do so right away.
If your account is younger than one day, you cannot post on the Neoboards, join a guild, or use Neomail. This stops players who have broken the rules and been frozen or silenced from simply creating another account and doing the exact same thing.
Brand-new users will have to wait a little while before they can express themselves in customisable areas of the site. If your account is younger than one day, you cannot create a shop, gallery or guild, or edit your userlookup, your pet's lookup, or your pet's homepage.
There are two kinds of shops on Neopets: user shops run by players, and main shops run by The Neopets Team. If you have enough Neopoints, you can buy as many items as you like from user shops as soon as you start playing Neopets. However, some items in the main shops can only be bought by players with older accounts. This is based on items' Rarity Value.
- If your account is younger than ten days, you can buy items whose rarity is lower than 84.
- If your account is younger than 16 days, you can buy items whose rarity is lower than 89.
- If your account is younger than one month, you can buy items whose rarity is lower than 94.
- If your account is younger than three months, you can buy items whose rarity is lower than 99.
- If your account is four months or older, you can buy anything in the main shops (if you're fast enough to buy it before it sells out!)
The Hidden Tower
The Hidden Tower is a very special shop, with unusual items always in stock at fixed prices. The tower is completely invisible to passers-by, but if you're new to the site, it may also be unusable.
- If your account is younger than one week, you cannot visit the Hidden Tower at all.
- If your account is younger than four months, you can visit, but you cannot buy any items.
Adoption and Transfers
Instead of creating a Neopet from scratch, you may want to receive one from another player via Safe Transfer, or adopt an ownerless Neopet from the Pound. Both of these are great ways of adding to your Neopet family, but younger accounts can only receive or adopt certain Neopets.
If your account is younger than four months, you can adopt
- an Acara, Aisha, Blumaroo, Bori, Bruce, Buzz, Chia, Elephante, Eyrie, Flotsam, Gelert, Gnorbu, Grarrl, Grundo, Ixi, JubJub, Kacheek, Kau, Korbat, Kougra, Kyrii, Lenny, Lupe, Meerca, Moehog, Mynci, Nimmo, Ogrin, Peophin, Pteri, Quiggle, Ruki, Scorchio, Shoyru, Skeith, Techo, Tuskaninny, Uni, Usul, Vandagyre, Wocky, Xweetok, Yurble or Zafara
- that is Blue, Brown, Checkered, Glowing, Green, Invisible, Orange, Pink, Purple, Red, Shadow, Silver, Skunk, Speckled, Split, White, or Yellow
- and Level 1 or 2.
These restrictions apply even if you previously owned the Neopet you're trying to adopt. If you train a pet to Level 3 or above and then send him/her to the Pound or to another user, you won't be able to take him/her back until your account is old enough.
If your account is four months or older, you can adopt or receive a pet of any colour, species and level, as long as you have enough Neopoints to pay the adoption or transfer fee.
I'm not your run-of-the-mill everyday Neopet, you know.
You can take part in many activities every week or every day -- but probably not on your first day.
- If your account is younger than one day, you will be unable to take part in most daily activities.
- If your account is younger than two days, you can take part in most daily activities. However, you will be unable to visit Coltzan's Shrine.
- If your account is younger than four days, you cannot receive gifts from the Advent Calendar. (This activity only works in the last month of the year, no matter how old your account is.)
- If your account is younger than one week, you cannot vote in the Beauty Contest.
- If your account is younger than one month, you cannot collect monthly freebies.
Want Even More?
Once your account is more than a few months old, you'll be a full-fledged Neopets player, able to take advantage of almost everything Neopia has to offer. But the fun doesn't stop there! As your account gets older, Neopets just keeps getting better. If you can't wait to find out what the future has in store, click here for a list of the treats and perks that are only available to long-term players.
This article was written by: Dream