Living vs. Dead, let the challenge begin!
Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
Create your own wishlists!

Altador Cup XII

Altador Cup News and Updates

Altador Cup Sign Ups Now Live
  • Posted on May 25, 2017, 12:46 pm NST

Signups for the Altador Cup are now live! You will have until June 6th to sign up for your favourite team. Live play begins on June 1st (a week today).

For returning players, you'll receive one of the yearly bonuses. For players that have taken part in 11 previous Cups, the new bonus is a collectible scarab:

Format Changes
With the signups comes an updated rules page. This reveals that there are format changes this year. The Cup will begin with the much asked for Single Round Robin, in which all teams will play each other once. It will then be followed by a finals bracket in a similar fashion to the more recent brackets format to determine final standings. It is unclear at this stage if the Round Robin will continue to use numerical scoring.
cat, 05/25/2017, 1:05 pm NST
Hopefully the Round Robin format will make things better, but realisticly I don't think it'll stop the cheaters and ASGs from winning. I'm glad it's single round robin, double would be WAY too long.

phenixia, 05/25/2017, 1:29 pm NST
Your link to the Altador page, at the begining of the news, doesn't work. Ant thank you for telling us that! My choice is already made: Maraqua!

herdy - JN Staff, 05/25/2017, 1:43 pm NST
Oops! Fixed now

jweb, 05/25/2017, 2:19 pm NST
11 previous Cups

themeepit32, 05/25/2017, 2:54 pm NST
Pft
oh well
Darigan Citadel forever

bodhi, 05/25/2017, 5:14 pm NST
6 years, and I got a Discarded Yooyuball Gear Foreground. Lucky me.

rosi, 05/25/2017, 7:37 pm NST
Gah! We're still in the sign-up phase and I already can experience a very laggy website

cat, 05/25/2017, 8:46 pm NST
Maraqua for me too. I wonder what teams the cheaters will be picking and what if anything TNT will do about them.

doomdesire5, 05/25/2017, 9:55 pm NST
This will be my first year for my new account even though I have been playing since AC III...

zeelink, 05/25/2017, 10:41 pm NST
I doubt it will stop the cheaters, but I'm happy with the single round robin! I like being able to play every team, it makes things more fun. So thanks, Jumpstaff, for listening.

sealgirl, 05/25/2017, 10:42 pm NST
Why did it have to be a scarab?! Will never be able to finish my bug collection.

jweb, 05/26/2017, 1:16 am NST
I have been playing since AC II

alessia, 05/26/2017, 1:18 am NST
I'm reading the FAQ page and I think there are some interesting news concerning how many scores we can submit in a day (and then which is the maxing out cap).

"This cap limit is in proportion to the points you will need to achieve the next ranking for you to reach All-Star."

It seems like we don't have a fixed cap... But I hope it won't prevent us to achieve more than one rank in a day (especially at the very beginning when you can easily make two ranks in a day)

diamondjirachi, 05/26/2017, 6:03 am NST
wow... i played in EVERY Cup and would be qualified for the scarab.... if my account didnt got frozen 10 month ago without any reason (and i didnt get any information yet.... seems like there is noone working on tickets anymore)

blastoise87blue, 05/26/2017, 8:01 am NST
If I got the wrong prize should I send tjnt a ticket?

kitkatmeeoow, 05/26/2017, 8:15 am NST
It might not stop the cheat groups or ASGs, but it will make it more fun since we are no longer stuck in the same bracket as 1-2 of them and therefore stuck with no chance of moving ahead due to placements. This way you only have to fight the bad groups once each (two if you end up against them in the finale.)

We might not be able to beat the cheat groups, however, at least we get to feel the excitement of having a fair chance against all of the other groups.

I am very happy about this change!

surferaj, 05/26/2017, 11:10 am NST
I'm happy about the format change too.

spabl, 05/26/2017, 11:56 am NST
Nice! I got the Scarab! Roo Island for the 12th time this year!

seven_dead_owls, 05/26/2017, 12:22 pm NST
Shenkuu every year for the last 10
I hope the scarab is a recurring thing so I get it next year
Glad for the robin rounds, it got boring fighting the same couple teams last year
I hope one of the changes is the prize shop but we'll have to wait to see until it opens after

surferaj, 05/26/2017, 3:23 pm NST
Why don't they just let us know up front how many of each AC Game we can play each day and the number of Game points needed for each Game to go towards Rank. It's just silly to withhold the information.

ummy - JN Staff, 05/26/2017, 4:38 pm NST
They might still be working on tweaking that information.

recklesse, 05/26/2017, 11:30 pm NST
Looking at the latest editorial I'm not going to play this year. We still have no idea what got those legitimate players frozen last year and it seems JS are determined to maintain they were cheating without saying what they were doing that was considered cheating (sending their scores when the site was lagging, watching videos at the same time as playing, playing through on days when the lag was so bad most players had given up, playing another AC game in a separate tab while waiting for Slushie Slinger to 'build up'??).

How can I be sure my account will be safe if I don't know which of those behaviours is against the rules?

recklesse, 05/26/2017, 11:34 pm NST
Playing another game while waiting for Slushie Slinger might well be against the rules, but if it is JS needs to come out and say it loud and clear because the message hasn't got through to people. I don't have the multi-tasking ability to play that way, but it seems many people do.

surferaj, 05/27/2017, 10:34 am NST
With the return of the AC comes the return of horrible site lag. It got so bad at the end of the tournament last year that it was almost impossible to submit Game Scores. Of course, that's when all the Cheaters and ASG's were jamming the site with excess Game Scores.

surferaj, 05/27/2017, 10:49 am NST
I've found that it's best to play the AC Game very early in the morning to help avoid the site lag. -- I never overlap playing AC Games and I really play each Game I submit a Game Score for. I've found it helpful if I switch back and forth between the Games to avoid horrendous monotony. I might play 5 to 10 Games of Yooyuball and then switch off to play a different Game. I can never stomach playing anymore than 5 Games Slushie Slinger at time because of the awful slow pace of that Game. It would be great if JS/TNT lowered the required Game Score on SS this year or revamped the Game to speed it up or increased the values of the Slushies for higher points.

surferaj, 05/27/2017, 10:53 am NST
I'm already so frustrated with the horrible site lag that started on May 25th and continues, that my excitement for the start of the AC Tournament is turning into almost dreading it.

rosi, 05/27/2017, 11:28 am NST
@recklesse: in fact those frozen accounts are what keeps me from joining. I don't want to miss this year as I always go for at least double All Star, but my usual team did well last year and I'm afraid cheaters will be joining it en masse this time and I'm paranoid about my precious, very old account being frozen for just joining the 'wrong' team as it happened to a few Maraqua players last year Now if we only knew beforehand what team the cheaters would be joining...

surferaj, 05/27/2017, 12:58 pm NST
Hackers and Cheater have all but ruined Neopets for so many. Losing an account is not a small thing for those that have put a lot of time, effort and even money into their account.

herdy - JN Staff, 05/27/2017, 1:38 pm NST
Yesterday's editorial where they effectively denied the entire thing and offered nothing in the way of a solution does nothing to improve the situation.

smallcat910, 05/27/2017, 8:46 pm NST
TNT has never stated that playing two games at once (slushie waiting and another side game) is against the rules (I've been multitasking that for a couple years now because I have little free time to achieve all-star). That's what I though I got frozen for last year, because it was right after the cup (note - I've been Darigan from ACI), but when I got it back a couple weeks ago, I found I got hacked. I will continue playing as I have in the past, but it is scary in fear of loosing it again if the 'suspicious' game-play freezing is coming down on us because of the cheaters.

recklesse, 05/28/2017, 4:27 am NST
@smallcat910,
that's the whole problem. JS haven't said what they think those people were doing to get them frozen. Those people did nothing against the rules they are aware of, so maybe there's a rule we don't know about. If so, shouldn't JS make it clear what that rule is so we can actually play with confidence? They did mention playing 2 of the same game at once in editorial #648. If it also applies to playing 2 different games at once that is a possible suspect. Except the frozen people weren't all doing that.

ladyamethyst, 05/28/2017, 9:28 am NST
I hope 2 different games at once is allowable, it's the only thing that saves my sanity while playing SS. If not, well, I'm in the market for the upcoming stamp as I'll only be playing 3 games/day or so of each game.

cat, 05/28/2017, 6:04 pm NST
Yeah I also play 2 different games at once, Slushie Slinger and SoSD, it's the only way I can get to All Star at this event without going crazy from boredom. So far it hasn't been a problem, not even last year when I was on Maraqua.

elphapa_the_wicked, 05/29/2017, 2:02 pm NST
*cries* Man, this would be my year to get the scarab too, still waiting on TNT to respond to my ticket from nearly 9 months ago about my old account getting frozen. *sigh* I just want my old people perks...