Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
Look sophisticated while chatting on the Neoboards
Help us model your pets!

Altador Cup XII

Altador Cup News and Updates

Altador Cup Changes Afoot?
  • Posted on May 5, 2017, 10:15 am NST

As the Altador Cup approaches, many Neopians have been wondering if there would be any changes to the format. Last year, the number of games required to reach All Star status were reduced to create a less time-consuming event.

In this weeks editorial, TNT hints that some additional changes may be coming:

Should we be expecting any massive changes with the format of the Altador Cup this year or are we going to be put in the same system again?
Hm, well I can't reveal too many of our secrets...however, the are talks. I'm not sure exactly whats going on, but there are rumblings from the Altador Cup crew. I guess we're all just gonna have to wait and see....

What changes are you hoping for in this year's Cup? Let us know in the comments!

Final Prize Collection: As a reminder, you have until May 12th (1 week from now) to redeem your points for Altador Cup XI prizes and Staff Tournament prizes as well. We'll post an additional reminder closer to the deadline.
purplebin, 05/5/2017, 10:45 am NST
I definitely want it to be shorter! I get way too obsessive and I waste the whole month playing for hours every day. It ruins my birthday month!

mistyqee, 05/5/2017, 10:57 am NST
Playing Yooyuball for like 2 hours a night for almost a month for All-Star and then not even getting enough points for the top prize has always been pretty depressing.

candyshopqwe, 05/5/2017, 12:00 pm NST
I got to all-stars for the first time last year so I was thrilled with those changes. For this year though, I'm not sure!
I'm not a huge yooyuball player (pretty sure I played around just 100 games last year) so if they added something that made me actually enjoy the game that'd be neat

ladyamethyst, 05/5/2017, 12:08 pm NST
I've already put too much effort into the AC over the years. I can no longer justify spending one of the most beautiful months with my nose pressed to the PC. As mistygee said, the top prizes are too far out of reach.

purplebin, 05/5/2017, 12:20 pm NST
The prizes have usually been pretty disappointing anyway... Every year I feel like it's been a big waste of time, but I can't stop myself from playing even more the next year!

sakibou, 05/5/2017, 12:40 pm NST
I would LOVE if the achievements of Altador Cup V were brought back. Having several smaller goals to accomplish is much more fun to me than just playing Yooyuball thousands of times for the top trophy. In fact, V remains the only Altador Cup I was engaged in enough to actually get All-Star.

marfbear, 05/5/2017, 12:45 pm NST
I'll second that on the achievements - much more enjoyable.

bennyw, 05/5/2017, 1:12 pm NST
Is this person a real editor? All I can see are the HUGE glaring grammatical errors in the response. Even the NT is doing downhill, geez.

themeepit32, 05/5/2017, 1:15 pm NST
well, almost time to join Darigan Citadel and earn points like mad

herdy - JN Staff, 05/5/2017, 1:16 pm NST
I wish the editor(s) would stop with the fake air of mystery - either they know exactly what's happening and shouldn't pretend otherwise or they have no idea and shouldn't be answering the editorial. There's no middle ground.

Interesting to see what changes these will be though.

kitkatmeeoow, 05/5/2017, 1:32 pm NST
My wish is the same pretty much every year. I want it to go back to some form of round robin even if it means making it shorter/longer. This way even if certain groups still take over and everyone already knows who will win by the end of the first week, at least you still have individual matches to cheer for and get excited about.

As it is now, once you see that weeks bracket, unless you are in specific teams, winning/losing no longer matters cause the positions pretty much never change after the first day cause of power teams and certain teams are always stuck in a bracket against mostly bad teams and never get to go against any of the easier or more evenly matched ones.

kitkatmeeoow, 05/5/2017, 1:38 pm NST
I also agree with sakibou. I would love to see achievements back, just no more stupid random ones.

I made it all the way to all-star, played over 1300 games of yooyuball alone not to mention a ton of other games and still could not get all of the random ones, whereas I knew people who scored far less and had all the random ones completely pretty early on. Luck has never been my friend.

Oh, plus it would encourage people to play some of the other games a bit more instead of only focusing on their rank score and what will get them there the fastest.

rosi, 05/5/2017, 2:35 pm NST
@Benny: I was baffled, too, when I read "we're gonna have to wait" It doesn't flow naturally. We'll have to wait sounds much more natural and grammatically sound to my (non-native) ears

As for the changes, down with the brackets!!! My sister and I have always been very vocal about their unfairness. It makes me mad to see we're pitted against the same opponent the third time in a week whereas there are teams we never encounter in a month!

@Sakibou: oh, the achievements! I forgot about them! They were cute

pikachu315111, 05/5/2017, 3:32 pm NST
A few years back I wrote pretty much an essay on problems with the AC and changes I'd think would help:

foxycleopatra, 05/5/2017, 4:06 pm NST
Brackets or no, the team rankings seemed off last year... perhaps JSTNT's prevention of ACGs, but one sec you were 3rd in your bracket & the next 10th *shrugs*

The NT editorial has lost it's legitimacy IMO. Unless it is in the News, it isn't official.

foxycleopatra, 05/5/2017, 4:27 pm NST
P.S. the NC Mall appears to be down

kanadiansnowbunny - JN Staff, 05/5/2017, 4:31 pm NST
I just realized I still have points to spend!

What did everyone spend theirs on??

purplebin, 05/5/2017, 4:45 pm NST
One change I'd like to see is a smaller increment difference between the prize values for the Staff Tournament. I had to buy a lot of TNT Coffee Mugs because there was nothing between 1 point and 50 points!

1jediboy, 05/5/2017, 4:54 pm NST
Spoiler alert: Neovia's "less-aristocratic" citizens form the brand-new yooyuball team: TEAM NEOVIA!

1jediboy, 05/5/2017, 5:02 pm NST
On an unrelated note: Team Haunted Woods is mysteriously boycotting the Altador Cup this year...

pikachu315111, 05/5/2017, 5:11 pm NST
@ 1jediboy:
The Altador Cup team or the Neoboard Chat Group?

themeepit32, 05/5/2017, 5:14 pm NST
I kinda hope they fix all the problems

alessia, 05/6/2017, 1:26 am NST
1) I have never loved brackets... They're a nonsense, you always play against the same teams and you don't understand why......
2) I would love to see achievements back and a shorter cup.
3) I would like a more balanced final prizes... I'm always all-star and I can't buy everything I want.
4) If they put the achievements back, I would prefer specific prizes and not a big final unknown shop.
5) That's the most important: why at the end of the Cup they NEVER do a survey asking for suggestions directly from the players?

maple_snow, 05/6/2017, 1:47 am NST
After last year's surprise flight to the top four, Team Faerieland will probably win the Cup this year.

Faerie PBs are already back over 2mil for the first time since The Faeries' Ruin.

warhammerhamster, 05/6/2017, 7:44 am NST
About the "fake air of mystery..." The editor isn't exactly in control of what they're allowed to say. Sounds like there will be changes, but they aren't allowed to reveal those changes yet. Whether that's their control or not.

About the grammatical errors... Yeah, it would be nice if they weren't there. But at this point I'm totally glass half full and just happy that we HAVE the editorial still.

sketch, 05/6/2017, 9:25 am NST
I sure hope they change AC!! It takes way too much time, it's repetitive and the games aren't even fun anymore. I've always hated it, if you're gonna make me play a game over and over, make like DD where I have to achieve a certain number of points and I can stop after.
I'll receive a change with open arms, anything is better than AC now!

seven_dead_owls, 05/6/2017, 9:47 am NST
I've made All Star for a few years now and last year was so much better as far as that's concerned (made it with a week and a half to spare) but the number of points to get top prizes never reflects. Nothing worse then making All Star only to realize you'd have to make double or even triple to get the most expensive item in the shop, I was livid the first year I made it

deedee60, 05/6/2017, 9:51 am NST
Thank you for the reminder to spend points. I had some to spend for AC and staff.

surferaj, 05/6/2017, 10:11 am NST
They need to lower the required Game Score for Slushie Slinger more significantly. -- If plyaters Max out the individual Games each day, our Teams could be awarded Bonus points. That would both help our Teams and be more of an incentive to play these Games until you are ready to bang your head against the wall.

kitkatmeeoow, 05/6/2017, 12:47 pm NST
Oh yeah, there is one other thing I always wanted and have mentioned in every feedback form they ever gave us.

I want a game you can play on a mobile device. I don't even care what the game is like, but many of us can not sit at a computer all day long, but have the access to a phone we can use off and on.

When JS first took over, I hoped they would create one, but still no luck.

foxycleopatra, 05/6/2017, 12:51 pm NST
"Just happy that we even have an editorial"
^this. When CQ left/quit/transferred/whatever/where ever she is now, it made me worry we wouldn't have am editorial. Someone mentioned no surveys at the end of the cup, but the editorial has always been our "voice" when it comes to feedback & questions where we at least get real replies....not some generic copy/paste "customer service" phrase people on fb get.

foxycleopatra, 05/6/2017, 12:53 pm NST
Please note I'm using the term "real teplies" loosely lol

bennyw, 05/6/2017, 4:19 pm NST
"and just happy that we HAVE the editorial still."

Is this where we are with this website? We just need to settle, quality be darned? I miss Droplet, that's all I'm saying...

cat, 05/6/2017, 5:55 pm NST
My main wishes are:
the Altador Cup should be shorter (SRR would do)
Side games would award prize points based on score sent instead of having a flat value.
There should be a tablet/wii u compatible game
The top prizes should be buyable with what you earn for All Star

Achievements would be nice I guess but I didn't get much out of them the last time.

doomdesire5, 05/6/2017, 8:12 pm NST
I just hope they fixed the issues about who to freeze or not. A lot of legit players who just happen to be a part of the teams who were doing well got frozen.

thecrazyoo, 05/6/2017, 8:15 pm NST
@doomdesire5
Myself included
And they didn't even recognize they were wrong, that's the worst part. After almost a year waiting, they replied to my ticket saying I'm a cheater

cat, 05/6/2017, 8:49 pm NST
@doomdesire5 - Yeah, never have I been so happy to be mediocre.

debgil, 05/7/2017, 6:09 am NST
But it wasn't even being a strong player. I know of at least 6 people who were frozen for "cheating" who were not on any high score tables, and should have been on a list of people LEAST likely to cheat. They were just playing.

morganjoisle, 05/7/2017, 10:13 pm NST
@cat: I really wish that the Altador Cup would be shorter too. The whole month long deal is just too long for me. I really liked it when Daily Dare got shortened by a couple of weeks or so, and I think that the AC would benefit from that too.

blastoise87blue, 05/8/2017, 8:58 pm NST
Eventually making atleast some of the games availible for any device would be a plus for those who play on neo more on anything but a computer

twilson1118, 05/16/2017, 8:29 am NST
Did anyone see the note on NC and premium not working again on Facebook.....prepare for your NC for next years cup to spend NC you loaded this year.....what's keeping neopets around if they can't get something this basic right
...

skew, 05/19/2017, 9:33 am NST
I seem to be in the minority with the amount of time. To me it's fair for those that work or go to school and still want to participate. Having it last a good chuck of time evens it out for all.

kitkatmeeoow, 05/19/2017, 12:49 pm NST
I can understand your point, but the longer it runs, the higher the prize points anyone needs to get the higher prices becomes (double-triple all star). So making it run longer just requires those with already strained schedules to chose to either feel pressure to cram it in for an even longer amount of time than they really can or just accept they will never get anywhere close to the top prizes.

Last year was the first time in years I got all star again because they lowered the ranks so it seemed like it might have been more worth my effort cause I felt I was making progress.

As it was until last year, I stopped thinking off Altador Cup as a game and more as a second job because it was no longer any fun playing endlessly knowing I could never reach All Star anyway. So at the start of each cup, I would push myself as hard as I could in the little bit of free time I had in an attempt to make it somewhere, but at some point every year I ran out of steam and could no longer rationa

kitkatmeeoow, 05/19/2017, 12:51 pm NST

kitkatmeeoow, 05/19/2017, 12:55 pm NST
Oops did not know there was a word count for submitting stuff and I got a little wordy. Than the site messed up and posted it twice.

Can you delete the second post. I will finish my thoughts in the next one if that is okay, if not you can delete it all.

kitkatmeeoow, 05/19/2017, 12:59 pm NST
but at some point every year I ran out of steam and could no longer rationalize why I was spending the little bit of free time I had playing something that ceased to be enjoyable because it went on too long.

I can not speak for everyone, but that was always my issue and since I doubt they will ever lower the top prize to that of simple all star and let those that reach higher get more than one copy of it (and to be honest, I am not even sure that would be fully fair to those that put in that much effort), then I root for a shorter term of torture. Or at least a mobile version so people like me could actually play it for longer periods of time because it no longer requires a computer.