Altador Cup VII
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!
Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!
Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup XV

Neopets: Island Builders Open Beta Begins
  • Posted on June 28, 2020, 1:04 pm NST

Over the next week, the Open Beta for Island Builders will be rolled out to Android users. The first wave of this has now begun, and the app can now be downloaded by users in Australia, Hong Kong, and Singapore. Other territories will gradually follow.

This also means that account linking is now live for people in those countries. It appears at present there is an item available for linking accounts:

While this item is tradeable currently, Island Builders devs have stated that this is an error as Island Builders items (much like Legends and Letters) are all intended to be No Trade. It is expected the plushie will be fixed to be No Trade.
herdy - JN Staff, 06/28/2020, 1:09 pm NST
Not a fan of the items being no trade again. Not in the slightest.

cherry_moon31, 06/28/2020, 1:12 pm NST
Thank you for the update. Can you tweet out when other countries are available.

sketch, 06/28/2020, 1:40 pm NST
Sad they're going the no trade path again

berixmaster2010, 06/28/2020, 3:42 pm NST
Ugh, I really don't like how the items are no trade yet again. Is there some laws in certain countries that are preventing them from be tradable that I'm not aware of? That's the only good reason I can think of for these being non tradable on the main site.

swordsforlegs, 06/28/2020, 4:15 pm NST
@berixmaster2010 The reason would be to give players an incentive to actually play the game, if the items weren't exclusive then people mught just purchase the items wjth NP and not even give the app a second look.

herdy - JN Staff, 06/28/2020, 4:18 pm NST
Yeah, only L&L proved the exact opposite is true. When there are no trade prizes, for a lot of people there effectively aren’t prizes since they can’t sell them — so they don’t bother to play.
L&L players were loud and clear that no trade prizes was an awful idea, but they seem to have made a conscious decision to ignore that feedback and repeat things.

swordsforlegs, 06/28/2020, 4:36 pm NST
^ Actually yeah that's a good point too

Also, how do I download the app, I live in New Zealand which is usually part of the Australia region for game releases, but I can't see it in google play nor did I get any email, or is it just specifically Australia?

Thanks!

chocolatjellopudding, 06/28/2020, 5:00 pm NST
No trade again? Omg....

berixmaster2010, 06/28/2020, 7:26 pm NST
@swordsforlegs That's true, I suppose. It would be nice if they became tradable when the servers for L&L shut down (Or at the very least, the stamp that was released for it)

swordsforlegs, 06/28/2020, 7:38 pm NST
@berixmaster2010 - You know the servers aren't actually shut down right? The challenge of challenges appears to still happen every month

berixmaster2010, 06/28/2020, 8:11 pm NST
I'm aware of that, I'm just saying that *when/if* the Legends and Letter servers were to close at some point, it would be nice to have those items be able to become tradable since I know many people would be upset if the stamps and wearables were forever unobtainable even if people were willing to sell them.

starryfaerie, 06/29/2020, 12:00 am NST
WHY are they making prizes no trade again?!? I wish they would explain it.
It's clearly NOT an incentive to keep people playing if you can't sell prizes you get that you don't want!

blue_star_51, 06/29/2020, 4:09 am NST
If the prizes are going to be no trade, I guess this app will only last as long as L&L did before they pull it.
I'm sad to see JS jump in the "mobile mode" of release, where each app only gets updates for a short time before being discontinued.

beyondelsewhere, 06/29/2020, 7:21 am NST
I haven't been able to link my account at all on iOS. Is this just available on android platforms?

dave - JN Staff, 06/29/2020, 9:25 am NST
@beyondelsewhere: That's correct. This is Android only for now. iOS is still in closed beta. Once it hits open release, account linking should become available.

beyondelsewhere, 06/29/2020, 12:36 pm NST
Oh! Ok, that makes sense. I missed the open/closed part of that beta note. Oops.

lalaiscool600, 07/5/2020, 8:21 am NST
how do i get my reward!!!!