The Advent Calendar is here for all of December!
Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!
Every editorial question answered just a search away!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Advent

Ghoul Catchers and Legends & Letters Retiring
  • Posted on May 20, 2020, 3:36 pm NST

In a very surprising update today, Neopets has announced that Ghoul Catchers and Legends and Letters are being discontinued:

BREAKING NEWS: To make way for some of our new, exciting products coming to stores soon, we have decided to retire Ghoul Catchers and Legends and Letters from the app store. If you already have the apps, you can continue to play them even after they are removed from the store. So, if you do not have the apps and want to play, be sure to download them as soon as you can!

It seems that they will continue to be playable (in other words, the server isn't being shut down), but in order to do so you must have the apps downloaded to your devices before they're removed from the App Store and Google Play Store.

We also assume that this means the end to the periodic Neopets.com awards in Legends and Letters' monthly Crossover Week. Likewise, the prizes from Ghoul Catchers are assumed effectively retired (unless you already have the app downloaded and wish to play to the prize milestones).

Have you played either of these games? Let us know what you'll miss in the comments!

tycooncorb, May 20, 2020 3:42 PM NST
Ghoul Catchers was fun and could have succeeded if updated more. Legends and Letters was also decently fun but again suffered from no updates and hardly any inter connectivity to the website. Also it was nothing new and not as addictive as Ghoul Catchers was.

They could have seen success with these apps but instead they decide to throw it all away, which is beyond me. With proper marketing and consistent updates I think they could have been much more than they were. I question who is employed in some of these positions making these decision because they are just running the site into the ground...

I guess we'll see what the next app is...
dave - JN Staff, May 20, 2020 3:45 PM NST
I was a fan of Legends and Letters. I enjoyed how story-driven it was, which felt very Neopets-y. It's just a shame that the updates dropped off before the story concluded. :\
mamsmelk_jr, May 20, 2020 4:09 PM NST
Well it's not like I ever got to play Legends and Letters, seeing as it's unavailable in my country sad to see something that's not that old is being thrown out though
berixmaster2010, May 20, 2020 4:11 PM NST
I wonder what this means for the collectable items they made for the Legends and Letters crossover weeks? I especially imagine the stamp collecting community won't be happy to have a no trade stamp that they may never be able to get...
juan_victor, May 20, 2020 4:16 PM NST
Since april im waiting the trophy and avatar from Legend and Letters, i like this game.
dr_tomoe, May 20, 2020 4:21 PM NST
I hope they make the L&L items available for everyone now.

Not everyone has a smartphone, and I'd hate to think I'd miss out on books and stamps because I don't have one.
combustibles, May 20, 2020 4:22 PM NST
They're just gonna make the rewards from both games worth even more.. this is a stupid decision imo.
1jediboy, May 20, 2020 4:28 PM NST
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! WHAT ABOUT THE GHOSTS IN JELLY WORLD!!!!! 😩

PLEASE tell me that they could be reinstated one day! 😭
herdy - JN Staff, May 20, 2020 4:38 PM NST
They need to conclude the story somehow.
sketch, May 20, 2020 4:40 PM NST
I was never able to open legends and letters on the first try but i still didn't manage to get The Mystical Tablet yet from the prize since the chests are so random
terrih, May 20, 2020 5:15 PM NST
...and once again it reinforces why I don't spend money on their games.
parody_ham, May 20, 2020 5:29 PM NST
Aww... I really hope they conclude the story somehow.
remy, May 20, 2020 5:38 PM NST
I for sure wasn't expecting this but it feels like it has been an unfortunate slow death for L&L I can't remember the last time it had an update and they still owe some of us 2 trophies as of 05/21, if you haven't missed a crossover week it should be at 8 right now instead of 6.

RIP Altador I guess. I'm bummed out I didn't get the tablet but I did get 2 of the stamp.

I'll definitely miss it *removes hat*
darella, May 20, 2020 6:24 PM NST
Well that's disappointing... Can't say I'm really that surprised though. Both games were very promising but they got abandoned way too fast, which I never understood why since it seems like a lot of work was put into them.

Goul Catchers was really fun and L&L had an amazing story with so much to offer, I'll miss both games a lot. I hope they at least give us some closure on the L&L story since there was even a plot on the site related to it.

Let's just hope the same doesn't happen to that other mobile app in the works. They really need to start managing their side projects a lot better...
itipeque, May 20, 2020 6:29 PM NST
My L&L glitched right after the first Crossover Week, and even though I sent in tickets, it never got sorted. So I guess now I'll never be able to play it again, since my app doesn't work. I actually liked that game. :/
nefarity, May 20, 2020 6:35 PM NST
Aww, that's a shame. Glad that I'll at least still be able to get the 50k from Ghoul Catchers.
felicity1169, May 20, 2020 7:39 PM NST
Never really got into Legends and Letters and I deleted Ghoul Catchers after getting stuck on a level. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the new apps
tamora, May 20, 2020 8:01 PM NST
I'm so disappointed. I have played L&L for many hours in the past year. To have the game suddenly abandoned is depressing...
bonju, May 20, 2020 8:09 PM NST
It's so weird we got such a long, never-ending plot as an introduction to L&L, monthly chests and prizes for playing, and now the app is already retiring. Pretty sad
x_snake_man_x, May 20, 2020 9:17 PM NST
I don't understand why they're taking the games off the store. I'm guessing it costs money to have your games available for download? But still, that's pretty ty imo.
neocoladude, May 20, 2020 10:09 PM NST
I... don't think this sets a good track record ar this point for JS. Very concerning. Kinda wish JS would use the resources they're using on apps for something like...IDK...a plot? That'd be cool...
imlostnthought, May 20, 2020 10:13 PM NST
I'm sad I never got the tablet from L&L. Hopefully they become sellable.
jcdiva7, May 20, 2020 10:52 PM NST
I finished ALL levels on GC and did not get the Altador prizes...they claimed they were "fixing the glitch"...now that is one stamp in my collection I won't get and the other would the be the L&L stamp...I wish it was not a random thing...this is messed up...and it makes me sad since I enjoyed both games.
maxgarou, May 20, 2020 11:09 PM NST
I kinda wish they'd make Ghoul catchers a playable game in site. The background were awesome and the amulets were too.
Glad I got them all, except for the Altador ones, bought the background, but missed the Amulet, and I don't think it's gonna be cheap on auctions or trading post.
As for L&L I found it very VERY boring, played it only when there was crossover week. And it was kinda disappointing, I got A LOT of repeated items. Got the stamp at least.
katina_choovanski, May 21, 2020 12:17 AM NST
Sing with me...

Go onnn, take the money and run...WOOO YAAA!!

Let this be a lesson to ME!! Stop spending money on this fickle site. I spent real $$ on L&L. A fool and her money, etc. I'm about to just walk away from the whole site. This TNT is finally managing to put out decent wearables, and THAT is my driving force. But I may re-think a site that just takes your money, and gives, only to take it back once they have it.
zeelink, May 21, 2020 12:49 AM NST
Ghoul Catchers was so buggy and I never got to play L&L because it was banned in my country. I won't miss these games, to be honest. I hope they put all their effort in their new mobile game, which seems a lot more interesting. I just hope it doesn't get banned here again.
targoefista, May 21, 2020 2:50 AM NST
... so.... what is this going to mean for the Legend and Letters STAMP!?!?! It's not even tradable!?!?!
pikasuno, May 21, 2020 5:40 AM NST
I feel like they never finish anything.
pikasuno, May 21, 2020 5:41 AM NST
Everything that's "coming soon" is code for never coming.
beyondelsewhere, May 21, 2020 7:57 AM NST
I have always preferred GC over legend & letters, but they really hyped L&L over comic con and everything. I'm disappointed that they release and then abandon things quickly. I thought they'd at least maintain L&L.
alltimemarr, May 21, 2020 8:40 AM NST
Not like I could ever play L&L but Ghoul Catchers was fun.
bob_smith, May 21, 2020 9:01 AM NST
They'd better cancel that avatar....I was close to getting it and now I can't have a chance no mores???? BOOOO
mavegibson, May 21, 2020 9:53 AM NST
I enjoyed Legends and Letters - it could have been great with a bit more tweaking and some updates. Sad they are retiring these games, but let's face it - they never put enough support into them to make them truly viable.

Does anyone think for even a moment that whatever replaces them will be given any more support than these games? I certainly don't. I have no faith in their ability to build, maintain and stay committed to a mobile game of any kind.
claytonskitten, May 21, 2020 9:53 AM NST
Put them both on my phone, put L&L on my tablet... might stick GC there too just in case. *sigh*
mavegibson, May 21, 2020 10:14 AM NST
I just tried Ghoul Catchers for the first time today and I really like it. I don't get why they create and abandon things like this. Doesn't exactly instill confidence in this team. I'm SO GLAD I never opened up my wallet for these mobile games, and doubly glad I know not to do that with the next one.
topaz644, May 21, 2020 11:12 AM NST
@mavegibson- my thinking exactly. I thru a little coin at L and L, just for Monster Keys when they had the sale on them. I now have hundreds of them and am not sure if I'll ever get to use them.

I really liked this game but I play on my laptop and my laptop can't really handle it like a phone can. Every time I load the app I wonder if my comp is going to blow up. lol
sketch, May 21, 2020 11:24 AM NST
I just hope that when L&L is finished they make the prizes tradable cuz there were a lot of cool wearables and items (and a stamp) I'm sure a lot of people would still like to get
gigiamore, May 21, 2020 11:42 AM NST
Aw man! I LOVE Ghoul Catchers.

I deleted L&L the other day ebcause it stopped working, and now it's not visable in the store to re-download
topaz644, May 21, 2020 12:17 PM NST
@gigiamore- wow. It's out of the store already? I thought it'd be available for a few more days.
ziporen, May 21, 2020 12:25 PM NST
I'm not as bothered by Ghoul Catchers, because it's a few years old and it was pretty obvious that there weren't going to be any more updates, but L&L was only released in October '19... and all of the prizes are no-trade, and were randomly awarded. ):
yasmin_sb, May 21, 2020 1:24 PM NST
@sketch Me too. I play regularly and have had pretty much every prize except the stamp, and that's the only one I want!
contessa, May 21, 2020 2:05 PM NST
You had to spend money to play this??

Good thing I guess then that I don't play on any kind of mobile device, just my ancient desktop.
mavegibson, May 21, 2020 2:46 PM NST
You don't "have" to pay money to play any of these games. People just have the option of paying money for things if they don't have the patience to work for the goodies the game rewards.
mavegibson, May 21, 2020 2:53 PM NST
I learned after Habitarium not to put any money into 'side' games. I never forgave them for what they did with Petpet Park and Habitarium, and that's definitely colored how I deal with new releases from them. These mobile games only reinforce that feeling, and I purposely avoided spending any money on L&L even though a few times I was tempted. So glad I stuck to my guns. I would be so angry right now if I had let them fleece me a second time.
gigiamore, May 21, 2020 3:00 PM NST
@topaz644 I've got a Huawei, so I thought maybe it had something to do with that? I downloaded it using an emulator instead, but I can't get it to run

Honestly I think they would do well with a new version of KQ on mobile, but we all know they're never going to make that from scratch again. I don't think they know what to do with the site anymore.
scarlet189, May 21, 2020 5:22 PM NST
I would like them to clarify [on the site] about the prizes, because it's not really fair to just take out stuff if you can still play the game. As for trade, I think it should be edited to allow these to be dispersed like other stamps.
They should indeed update the trophy counters from L&L for those who hadn't gotten them, and award any prizes as necessary. @ bob_smith, you do realize they can't cancel an avatar, right? And you only need to win one challenge, not sure if you are aware.
lokaula, May 21, 2020 10:55 PM NST
@mavegibson, I agree with you 100% about Petpet Park. I will always mourn how they just took it away and lost trust in them after that. It's why I didn't bother playing either Ghoul Catchers or Legend & Letters...and why I also won't play any other new games they plan on adding, including any mobile games. I play Neopets with much caution, you never know if one day they'll say adios, and just end/close Neopets too!
escrainus, May 22, 2020 12:00 AM NST
the apps never worked properly for me, so meh
bonju, May 22, 2020 12:41 AM NST
Dude I miss Petpet Park so much
anomally, May 22, 2020 4:46 AM NST
I never spent any money on these games but I'm sad to see them go.

That said, I hope they don't try to release one again. If they keep releasing mobile games and closing them, people are not going to be willing to spend money on them.
squattasxparadise, May 22, 2020 5:02 AM NST
Do they really expect people to spend money on their new app after closing these ones? Isn't L&L only like, a year old?
Now if they brought back Treasure Keepers though....
misery13, May 22, 2020 6:19 AM NST
I heard a rumor a couple months ago that the lead dev for L&L quit, so this news is not surprising.
loopy, May 22, 2020 8:22 AM NST
Eh, can't say I'm too upset really...I rarely played GC at all and only played L&L during Crossover Week. I have them on my phone though so maybe I'll revisit them now and then.
lexiana, May 22, 2020 9:19 AM NST
Ugh. I tried repeatedly to participate in the crossover weeks, but my game would never load. Good riddance.
1jediboy, May 22, 2020 3:34 PM NST
People, PLEASE! ✋😰🤚

Let’s not be too hasty! We know that Neopets Has done this several times in the past and that’s not fair, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t be supporting Neopets in whatever endeavor that it supplies to us!

We are the cult following of Neopets! We are supposed to be The devoted loyal fans who have either returned and stayed or never left! No matter how unfair this is, for the sake of our game, we NEED to support Neopets by whatever means Given to us!

This is very disheartening news, but like all the games in the game graveyard Neopia moves forward! Maybe if enough people raise their voices they’ll change their minds and bring the games back in the future but right now they need to prioritize where their work efforts ago so they had to cut what was unnecessary AT THE TIME.

Please do not let this hinder you! This is still the beautiful site that we always loved for years! Yes, it’s been passed around like a bag of chips in a frat party, but it is up to Yes, it’s been passed around like a bag of chips in a frat party, but it is up to US to keep it afloat and send the feedback that they need to sustain itself! They NEED us!

Please don’t turn your back on them now! I know their system seems unreliable. They need dedicated Neopians working there. NOT what they have... But while we still can, We need to support our pure and wholesome fandom!

Please don’t leave. 😢
mavegibson, May 22, 2020 4:17 PM NST
Jedi, I don't think any of us are talking about leaving Neopets. They can pry my account out of my cold dead hands. But if they want people to support their mobile properties and spinoff sites/games, they NEED to reliably support those properties for more than a few months.

Some of us have invested real-world money in these things, only to see what we bought taken away from us when Neo stops supporting it - with no compensation for that loss.

Imagine if you've bought a lot of NC customization items with real money and then Neo decided to stop having customization on the site. Would you be willing to invest your hard earned cash in the next money-driven site feature they decided to release? If so, you're a lot richer than most of us are, to be able to afford to just toss away cash like that.

Neo will likely always have my support, but if they want my *money* they have to make sure it doesn't get thrown away when they decide to drop whatever game or project I just finished investing my money in. Give us something we can rely on, that we can trust will still be around in a year.
1jediboy, May 22, 2020 6:11 PM NST
Thank you Mave! I'm just so scared of one of the core elements of who I am just dying beyond my control.

Yes! They DO need to keep supporting their spinoff media for more than a few months! This news doesn't make any sense anyway! If it can't be maintained, why rip it off the app store completely!? Why not just leave it up without an update for a few years!? It's unnecessary AND counterproductive!

The lack of compensation is ALSO
1jediboy, May 22, 2020 6:20 PM NST
not good policy!

"Would you be willing to invest your hard earned cash in the next money-driven site feature they decided to release?"
NO! I've put quite a lot of NC into neopets and would be very upset if they just took it away! And yes, it would very much impact my likeliness of spending anymore as it would render me fearful of them doing it again...

YES! Something to rely on!

Personally, I would rather some sort of voluntary "Ads for benefits" kind of game.
Something where you don't HAVE to pay money as long as you run ads.
They did that with the other games... but not in an extensive enough system. Ad watching should've been optional for EVERYTHING purchasable so WE don't waste money on something that may or may not stick around... yet we can still support Neopets in a way that is accessible to everyone!
fall, May 22, 2020 10:35 PM NST
Wish Ghoul Catchers wasn't going away. How long will we be able to earn nps on it? I just recently got back into the game after a long hiatus. That's a bummer.
escrainus, May 23, 2020 1:10 AM NST
@jedi: while I understand where are you coming from, your view of the site and how us must react is.. unrealistic.

Sadly Neopets wont hold if they keep this trend of launching games to just close them months after.

The revamp of the site alone won't be enought if there is nothing that can make people trust in the site.
shimmeringemerald, May 23, 2020 9:09 AM NST
Wow I am disappointed I spent money in L&L and have been working on that game daily for months -_- Also disappointed I never got the stamp and they made the items no trade! UGH!
sketch, May 23, 2020 12:34 PM NST
Ghoul catcher has existed long enough that you would've been able to get all the prizes if you wanted so I don't mind TOO much if it's gone (though it is sad) but considering L&L has had ONLY 8 crossover challenge and there are 9 UNIQUE prizes from the legendary chest if you were lucky enough to not get doubles AND they're no-trade, that means it's IMPOSSIBLE to get all the prizes for yourself because it hasn't even existed long enough so that makes me more mad and should at least stay a while longer
invader_of_worlds, May 23, 2020 12:56 PM NST
yay for a stamp I will never have
neoaddict, May 23, 2020 12:59 PM NST
I really like to play L & L I even spent tons on this game. I did not get the best weapon item yet. I really wish there is a way NTN wouldnt retire this game.
karohoppy, May 23, 2020 4:51 PM NST
I never played these games because I don't own a
mobile device. I still enjoy playing on their website.
moonlightwitch, May 23, 2020 6:47 PM NST
L&L I only played to get the stamp beside everyone knows I'm the worst speller on neo so I'm thinking that it's one more I'll never see
biediep, May 24, 2020 6:22 AM NST
"Be sure to download them asap"
Yea ok from the Netherlands -__-
They better make the dang stamp tradeable, finally.
fantasygirl23, May 24, 2020 7:02 AM NST
Sadly Legends and Letters isn´t available in the Netherlands at all.
braincupcake, May 24, 2020 8:00 AM NST
I'm so confused that they put in all this time to develop L&L, released it very recently, just to retire it? Maybe they should have spent that time working on the actual site than wasting their time.
sakeru187, May 24, 2020 11:16 AM NST
Dude they're like HBO and other channels starting cool shows then canceling them 1-2 seasons later :k
gigiamore, May 24, 2020 1:45 PM NST
Honestly, if they just make the stupid stamp not count toward an avatar I'll be fine with that :/
noradoodle, May 24, 2020 4:10 PM NST
Everyone is (understandably) upset about the stamp, but I'm over here crying over the backgrounds.
escrainus, May 25, 2020 2:29 PM NST
Agree the backgrounds where pretty well done... TBH they should just make a way to get the items in site... like dunno... make the game an html5 game inside the site?
1jediboy, May 25, 2020 3:02 PM NST
I second this! 👆
invader_of_worlds, May 25, 2020 6:13 PM NST
if they could do it in site I would play.
oreosenpai, May 25, 2020 8:38 PM NST
What's the point of removing them from the app store if they're keeping the servers up?
dave - JN Staff, May 26, 2020 5:21 PM NST
@oreosenpai: That's what I find weird about this. Only thing I can think of is that they want to consolidate the Neopets app brand to Dacardia Rezoned?

Otherwise, I think people would still play the games and spend the occasional money on them if they were left as officially future updateless.
escrainus, May 26, 2020 11:57 PM NST
Maybe they get such a low traffic from those games that keeping the servers up isn't a problem for them?

Still ghoul catchers and L&L never ran properly, lots of glitches
mavegibson, May 27, 2020 3:11 PM NST
I have to say, I'm going to be really heartbroken when they do finally kill L&L for good, because as buggy as it was, I really like the game and I've grown attached to my little Neopets on there.
mydogbrittney, May 28, 2020 7:47 AM NST
dang, i never got the avatar for L&L crossover week, it just felt too tedious and time consuming so i kept telling myself that i'd do it next time. whoops, there wont be a next time
cat, May 30, 2020 1:29 AM NST
I didn’t really like either game that much. Ghoul Catchers sufferers from being a not terribly good Match 3, and Legends and Letters suffers from a lack of direct connectivity to our accounts and the fact that I generally hate word games. I did like that L&L was more story driven though.
cat, May 30, 2020 1:31 AM NST
That being said, since they’re retiring them as part of rolling out the new app my assumption is that they’ll probably reappear as games within the new app, rather than being stand alone apps.
ferinsy, May 31, 2020 8:50 AM NST
As always, the JSTNT not knowing how to conduct the website... I've been away for over a year, only checking JN from times to times to see if there's anything interesting like a plot so I can create a new account and just have a bit of nostalgia, but yeah, things like this make me stick with another petsite A LOT more.
ferinsy, May 31, 2020 8:53 AM NST
I was once a collector of everything (avatars, stamp, trophies), but JumpStart doesn't value these aspects of the website, and most players who are here for over 10 years and are now adults will start to leave (even more, I mean) because they're being ignored, having trophies, avatars and even stamps accessible for only a couple of months and unable to get from a lot of countries where they didn't make the app(s) accessible.