Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!
Discover the characters of Neopia in our Book of Ages!
A searchable database of Neopets images

TNT's Answers to Site Redesign Feedback
  • Posted on May 14, 2020, 9:52 am NST

TNT has been on the beta Neoboards, responding to a few questions about bugs and the stuff that's upcoming with the site redesign. Here's a wrap up of the various posts we were able to find:

On the direction of the new design:

hi everyone! just wanted to drop in and say that by no means is the current direction of the layout final. we are working on new styles as well as taking in your feedback for the direction. this was just a first step, not a final one so don't worry!

On maintaining both the classic (existing) site design and the redesign:

as for keeping the current live site as an option for players, i'm afraid that won't be possible when flash is discontinued. this is why we are currently in the process of converting everything to html5.

if we were to keep the existing site, we'd have to convert both the mobile-friendly version of the site and the existing site which would be double the work for our dev team.

And again in another thread...

the plan is to phase out classic mode once we've converted the majority of the site to html5, as flash is being discontinued and the classic site will cease to function.

(This is similar to how the 2007 site redesign revamped the entire site and the old layout was retired completely.)

On whether this redesign is just for mobile devices (it's not—it's for any device you access Neopets.com from):

hi there! totally understand your concerns. to start with the vision, it is intended for this new beta to replace the existing live site once all features have been completed, so this will be the layout for both desktop and mobile. the site will be fully playable when we go live, but it'll be a ways before we get there since there is so much to convert.

On wearables being converted away from Flash (not all of them have been converted yet—they're being done in batches):

wearable conversion is being worked on in batches by our artists, since those are also being converted to be html5 compatible.

On a place to know what's new and upcoming:

we are working on a release notes page that will let users know the completed/in-progress/coming soon features as well as known issues that we are working on and bug fixes.

On the world maps, Explore page, and Premium features coming to the redesign:

explore is definitely coming over to the beta, yes. we are working on giving the maps an entire, fresh redesign that we are excited to share! the current beta is not the final version in any way, we have a lot more to add and will continue to add throughout the year, including all the premium features.

On the "View Classic Site" option not always sticking (it should—it's buggy and will be fixed):

the "view classic site" button was intended to permanently keep you in the classic until you chose to switch back to beta, but it isn't working correctly. we have plans to fix this so stay tuned!

On navigational submenus:

hi guys! submenus for the navigation menu have been in the works for a while, we just didn't want to add them when we didn't have that many pages converted. but we've heard you and will be prioritizing this feature. thanks for the feedback!

On the new bookmarks feature, and whether it will be Premium only or not:

thanks for your feedback! to answer you, the bookmarks feature will be for everyone, not just premium.

On the converted HTML5 games:

hi everyone! we super appreciate the feedback. our team has been hard at work fixing the games on mobile not scaling properly, so we should have an update for that soon.

On whether TNT is paying attention to the site redesign Neoboards:

hi! yes, we are looking at the neoboards daily even if we may not be replying as frequently. rest assured that everyone's feedback is being tracked! c:
alli_draggy, 05/14/2020, 11:03 am NST
Do we know what's going to happen to HTML editing-based parts of the site like petpages, shops, etc. in the new layout? I know header/footer based layouts won't work anymore, but will HTML editing still be a thing at all?

apophis324, 05/14/2020, 12:50 pm NST
It's going to be a sad day when the old site won't be the same anymore, but we cannot delay the inevitable forever. I just hope they don't make it too unnecessarily flashy. I like the 'most of the site is white' more than a bombardment of colours everywhere.

dave - JN Staff, 05/14/2020, 1:08 pm NST
@alli_draggy: Nothing has been announced or hinted at there that I'm aware of.

Pure speculation: I think best case, if customising your user lookups, pet lookups, shops, and galleries remain, then any existing layouts would need to be redone to fit the new layout shell. Petpages I could see staying around as they are, since those pages don't have a layout shell.

dave - JN Staff, 05/14/2020, 1:10 pm NST
@apophis324: I think it'd be cool if instead of the white, the leaned into more immersive design. Like how on the homepage, your Neopets are shown in front of the tree background? Imagine that, but for the Healing Springs, it's a full page background showing the springs and the Healing Faerie greeting you.

apophis324, 05/14/2020, 1:11 pm NST
By the way, it is totally understandable they're not going to keep the current site layout as well as the new, that's impossible to work with.. but stating the old design relies too much on Flash is wrong. Most of the things work perfectly fine without flash, and theoretically you'd only have to remove the flash parts and replace them with HTML5 parts (kind of like what you still can see in Mystery Island).

apophis324, 05/14/2020, 1:12 pm NST
@dave: To each their own, I guess. I understand your vision on it, yet I still believe it would be too much of a sensory overload for me I guess I'll have to wait and see if that is actually the case.

neo65780, 05/14/2020, 1:14 pm NST
so all of the games available on beta are html5...does that mean that the flash games will still be available for avs and whatnot once flash is discontinued? a lot of people have been worried that the end of flash also means the end of all neopets flash games and thus the corresponding avs

pikachu315111, 05/14/2020, 3:02 pm NST
I'm cautious but at the same time enthusiastic.

After several attempts (including one that at almost complete but JS cancelled it: https://www.snarkie.com/2018/11/ama-neopets-on-the-go/ ), we're finally going to have a Neopets that can be easily accessed via mobile devices which was something the site desperately needed for so long. Hopefully this would bring old players back and also bring in new players. Hopefully they pay a lot of attention to fan feedback.

flamezeai, 05/14/2020, 3:20 pm NST
have they said anything about neoboards? I like entering the beauty contest and talking on the art chat, I would hate if we couldn't work on our pets in the same way!

1jediboy, 05/14/2020, 3:38 pm NST
@Jellyneo - PLEASE!!! SAVE THE GAME GRAVEYARD GAMES!!! NOBODY’S GONNA FOCUS ON THAT!!! PLEASE!!!

dave - JN Staff, 05/14/2020, 4:06 pm NST
@neo65780: No, once Flash is discontinued, Flash games will be automatically unplayable.

The availability of the avatars is still up in the air, but I imagine TNT will endeavour to add avatars into the new HTML5 game system. (I can't think of a good reason as to why HTML5 Meerca Chase II won't one day award the avatar, for example.)

well_nope, 05/14/2020, 5:20 pm NST
I feel like such a noob for asking, but where can I go to see these TNT post that ya'll are talking about.

I trust the validity of what you guys post, I just want the option to look it up for myself.

dave - JN Staff, 05/14/2020, 5:33 pm NST
@well_nope: These were all scattered replies to topics on the "Mobile-Friendly Beta Launch" neoboard, which you can only access if you have access to the beta.

clockworkcrypt, 05/14/2020, 6:20 pm NST
If the site is sticking with the moble theme, I hope there is an option for a minimalist theme, if not a large amount of white. I've stopped using a lot of websites over the years due to them just being too busy, and I appreciate neopets for having a cleaner layout without things constantly blinking or flashing every time I mouse over them. I am looking forward to the possibility of games working on mobile though, as some of them, ironically the older ones seem just.... so suited for tapping.

apophis324, 05/15/2020, 12:04 am NST
@clockworkcrypt: Couldn't have put it better myself ^^ Immersion is fine for those that like it (looking at you, Dave ), but the option to switch to at least something less offensive to the eyes is something very desired!

6161314, 05/15/2020, 12:31 am NST
Umm while I think the new layout looks OKAY as a MOBILE site, totally doesn't look nice as a desktop version.

aznboo, 05/15/2020, 9:46 pm NST
The site's aesthetics (and improved functionality) should really take a back seat to security. Accounts are still being hacked left and right, and although they can be returned with a ticket or three, it still isn't very reassuring. Did they mention anything about that? Perhaps it's smarter not to store passwords in plaintext in 2020?

zeelink, 05/18/2020, 1:22 am NST
Interesting times, I guess. I remember feeling gutted when the old layout was discontinued, and I'm sure it will be hard to get used to a new one. But if the site is to survive, it has to be done. I am very happy to see that JS is taking this seriously, can't wait to see what they come up with.

escrainus, 05/18/2020, 3:41 pm NST
Wonder what will happen with site themes

itaxerxes, 05/20/2020, 2:37 am NST
I just hope they will not ruin the whole thing for us who do not have a cellphone but play it on a destop or laptop