Earn NP from playing games!
Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!

Neopets Site Redesign Beta Expanded
  • Posted on May 7, 2020, 1:58 pm NST

We've received some reports of more Neopians being added to the closed beta test of the new Neopets.com site layout. We are not sure what the exact criteria for gaining an invite is. We've confirmed that it appears that this round of beta invites are going out in batches to random Premium members.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out our coverage of the site redesign, along with some unreleased site themes we uncovered!

Site Redesign Coverage »
topaz644, 05/7/2020, 2:30 pm NST
I'm in and I have no idea why. I'm not ready to fully explore yet.

faellie_ridiculous, 05/7/2020, 3:00 pm NST
Yes, i did not sign up, but I received this neomail this afternoon:

Hello Neopian! You are now part of the Closed Neopets Beta for a first look at our new, mobile responsive site! You will now see a link on your homepage next to the 'Logout' button to 'Switch to Beta'. You can also switch back over to the classic site at any time through your profile menu on the left hand side.

You'll be able to see some of our new & updated features, including interacting with all your Neopets right there on the homepage, customize your pets in our new customization app, play some games & more! We have posted some Release Notes in a new Neoboard topic 'Mobile-Friendly Beta Launch' that is exclusively for members of the beta to discuss feedback, bugs or any ideas you may have!

Have fun exploring our first look at the new Neopia! We are so excited to have you participating and look forward to hearing all your thoughts!

jawsch, 05/7/2020, 3:09 pm NST
I'm disappointed they haven't even acknowledged a single user or issue raised on the beta neoboard, they still haven't removed the BILLIONS of NP people received from playing games due to a glitch, nothing. They've not acknowledged anything...

And in the 10 months since SDCC, it doesn't look like they've done much of anything to the mobile site beyond changing the homepage from what they previewed to us.

I'm hoping there's a lot behind the scenes that's almost ready to launch because if this is all they've accomplished in 10 months, there's NO way they'll have even 25% of the mobile site done come December.

Heck at SDCC they said they would release a new HTML5 map every month. It's been 10 and not even one has been released.

I'd like to know who is actually managing this project because from a user standpoint, it appears to be moving at a glacial pace.

superbeans, 05/7/2020, 5:05 pm NST
I got the email invite, but don't have the option to switch to beta on my account yet.

purplebin, 05/7/2020, 8:32 pm NST
Oh, everyone was saying they got the invite by Neomail, but I just checked and I got one in my email!

purplebin, 05/7/2020, 8:34 pm NST
I don't have the Switch to Beta button yet, either. I am very interested to see if customization will work for me in Firefox.

jessica_sweetie8, 05/7/2020, 9:29 pm NST
I also got the email, but no switch over button yet.

mistyraider, 05/8/2020, 4:54 am NST
^^ Same here. I wonder if I will get the button.

purplebin, 05/8/2020, 7:35 am NST
Ah, apparently we get the email first, and then a neomail later letting us know we can switch over.

topaz644, 05/8/2020, 8:39 am NST
@purplebin- customization works in Firefox. It doesn't seem to though because so many items haven't been converted yet.

zixianna, 05/8/2020, 9:31 am NST
I can has billions?

herdy - JN Staff, 05/8/2020, 11:06 am NST
You'll have to reload a lot for customisation to work if you have a large closet (far more than you have to for the flash version).

purplebin, 05/8/2020, 11:15 am NST
So HTML is worse than flash for customizing? Flash was already really difficult for me.

mavegibson, 05/8/2020, 12:11 pm NST
Those poor hungry pets!!

mavegibson, 05/8/2020, 12:12 pm NST
If customization is really worse with the new version, then they've failed miserably at the ONLY thing that really matters to me.

dave - JN Staff, 05/8/2020, 3:41 pm NST
FWIW, I've had very few issues with the new customisation app. The only issue I had was figuring out why some items wouldn't load (they haven't been converted yet, so they're known to be broken). So it may end up being a YMMV type of situation.

contessa, 05/8/2020, 7:27 pm NST
Oh I just noticed the Switch to Beta button at the top of the page! I dd not sign up for it but as a long time Premium user I guess that is why I have it. Checked and I rec'd email a few days ago and neomail today. Don't plan on ever playing on mobile so doubt I will ever use it and I didn't much like it when I tried the Beat out for a litlle while. I hope the desktop site does not change too much.

Sigh. Where is my time machine when I need it??

lokaula, 05/8/2020, 9:48 pm NST
Of course it is...

action_jackson3000, 05/9/2020, 3:53 am NST
I got my invite yesterday. I just posted it on the boards but wanted to share it here too.

Has anyone who owns the same species of more than 1 pet noticed different sizes?

My pets are all Grarrls but some are different larger and shorter than others.

Not sure if intentional or not but maybe mobile beta is finally utilizing the height of your pets?

e.g. My Baby Grarrl is 105 cm but Darigan Grarrl is only 94 cm

mistyraider, 05/9/2020, 5:17 am NST
I probably will never use the mobile version, but if I do, I hope my Zafaras stay the same size as on my computer. Their are 31 cm, 42 cm & 49 cm, and I like them all the same height. They are also different weights.

sandra, 05/9/2020, 8:00 am NST
I also got the email and I've clicked it a million times but still don't have the option to switch to the beta either. Has anyone else had it show up later or whatever?

purplebin, 05/9/2020, 9:44 am NST
@sandra, the email says:
Please note that we are giving our Premium users access in waves, so not everyone will get access at once. Don't be alarmed if you don't get it right away; if you received this email, then you'll get access soon!

It seems that after the email, users get a neomail to let them know they have access.

dave - JN Staff, 05/9/2020, 12:39 pm NST
@sandra: You'll get access once you receive that Neomail from TNT as well. The email usually comes first by a few hours.

faellie_ridiculous, 05/11/2020, 10:25 am NST
@action_jackson3000 - the size of your pets will vary according to what they are wearing. If you remove all handheld items, they should all be the same size. Oversized handhelds make the pet appear smaller.

vampyraya, 05/12/2020, 11:43 am NST
"The email usually comes first by a few hours."

Well, it has been 4 days since I got the email. I think, they just send out emails to all premium members and the mail really doesn't mean much. It stays a waiting game.

zixianna, 05/12/2020, 11:59 am NST
herdy - I have to use an alternate browser, disable hardware acceleration, AND refresh a lot to customize as it is. Worked perfectly for me until Firefox changed plugin container handling around v66... so it probably can't be much worse for me (if and when I get to try it ).