Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!
All the hottest looks, try them on today!
Discover the characters of Neopia in our Book of Ages!

Neopets Mobile Beta LIVE!
  • Posted on April 23, 2020, 11:44 am NST

The new Neopets Mobile site beta is LIVE! As expected, the entirety of Neopia has not been redesigned yet, but a few of the mainstream features have.

Without further adieu, here are some screenshots:

(The new homepage, as seen from a phone-sized device.)

(The new homepage, as seen from a tablet-sized device. The rest of the screenshots below are all tablet-sized.)

(Clicking on Nilo brings up a mobile beta launch pop-up.)

(If you want to visit something in Neopia that hasn't been redesigned yet, you'll get a message about leaving the beta site.)

(The new games room. Only these 7 games are available so far.)

(You can bookmark any page in Neopia. Consider this a "Dailies" list from the Premium toolbar—but for all Neopians.)

(The Food Shop in Neopia Central.)

(Tapping on your Neopet on the homescreen brings up an action pop-up. You can do the things that you see above!)

(Tapping "Read" for example, shows all of the books/readable items in your inventory.)

(Tapping "Groom" does the same—if there were any grooming items.)

(The item info screen for a toy selected from the "Play" action.)

(Kass Basher in action.)

(Customising your Neopet in action—a bit glitchy, but looks like a good start.)

Below are the official v0.1 Beta Release notes, posted by TNT:

Customisation

Now you can easily customise your pet from the comfort of your phone, or on your computer without using flash! Please note that Meepits are hard at work converting your customisation items out of Flash, but its taking some time. Some of our items may not be converted yet, and thus not available for preview in the beta view.

The Presets feature will return in a future update.

Pet Care

Visiting the Neopets.com homepage is going to be a very different experience moving forward. No longer will you be bombarded with tons of banners and news items. Instead, we've made the homepage into a little home for your pets!

Here you'll be able to quickly and easily feed & groom your pets on the go, as well as a few other quick-actions.

Does this mean we're filtering your inventory natively now? Yes, so stay tuned for the new inventory page coming your way in a future update.

Plus, don't be surprised if Petpets come to cozy up to their owners here soon as well!

News, Alerts & Site Events

Having trouble keeping track of everything going on on the site? Well we've got a few quality of life improvements to help with that. First, any time there's a major ongoing event happening (like Festival of Neggs ), we'll let you know straight on the homepage when a character comes to visit.

Additionally, you can preview the latest news headlines right from the News & Alerts dropdown, and handle all of your alerts (like Trudy's Surprise, trade requests, etc) without leaving whatever page you're on.

Games

The following minigames have been converted from Flash to HTML5 so that you can play them on any device:

• Turmac Roll
• Fashion Fever
• Hasee Bounce
• Ice Cream Machine
• Rink Runner
• Igloo Garage Sale
• Kass Basher

We'll be regularly rolling out more converted games in the coming weeks.

Don't worry, all of the extra information you're used to seeing on games pages isn't gone forever. We're completely overhauling the layout of games pages so that all of that content is mobile friendly, as well as the Gamesroom itself, which you'll see in a future update.

For now, we wanted to get you playing the games themselves as quickly as possible.

Dailies

Wouldn't you love to visit the Healing Springs while riding the bus, or donate to the Money Tree on the toilet? Well now you can! For now, you can easily visit the following dailies pages on any device, and we'll be rolling out more and more in the coming weeks!

• The Healing Springs
o http://www.neopets.com/faerieland/springs.phtml
• Discarded Magical Blue Grundo Plushie of Prosperity
o http://www.neopets.com/faerieland/tdmbgpop.phtml
• Money Tree (no NC Donations on phones)
o http://www.neopets.com/donations.phtml

Bookmarks

You may have noticed the little flag and heart icons that are now in the upper left of your screen. Premium members may already be accustomed to the Dailies system of quick-links for easier navigation.

We've expanded on that idea to allow all users to easily bookmark most pages (not just dailies) straight from those pages.

Additional features surrounding bookmarks will be available in future updates.

Switching out of the Beta

If, for whatever reason, you no longer want to be looking at the beta version of any of the pages we've previously discussed, simply click on the "View Classic Site" button in the profile menu to return to the site as all non-beta viewers see it. To get back into the beta view, click the "View Beta" link that's now on the right side of the "Logout" button for you.

Future Updates

There are a few links and items you'll see in this new layout that aren't fully functional quite yet. We're working hard to retool how you access your Premium perks, as well as improving site search. Additionally, we wanted to reassure you that site themes are not going anywhere!

Those will be coming soon, with new mobile-friendly twists on all the classic themes rolled out in stages, as well as new mobile-only themes in the future.
cheyennet2, 04/23/2020, 12:02 pm NST
Is neomail available on the mobile beta? Maybe it won't be broken! I'm also curious how the games play.

dave - JN Staff, 04/23/2020, 12:03 pm NST
@cheyennet2: Neomail is not yet available under the beta site. You'll get sent back to the (now) classic site to manage your messages.

dave - JN Staff, 04/23/2020, 12:04 pm NST
@cheyennet2: Games seem to be hit or miss depending on the person I've heard playing them. Not too surprising from my end--of all the things to be redesigned, games are one of the most complicated features, so I'm not surprised you'll see bugs from browser to browser.

kiwibasket, 04/23/2020, 12:04 pm NST
FEED YOUR DANG PETS

cheyennet2, 04/23/2020, 12:12 pm NST
@Dave- thanks for the quick response! I'm REALLY hoping that the Altador Cup is converted to HTML5 and potentially mobile friendly this year, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

clockworkcrypt, 04/23/2020, 12:18 pm NST
I know this is probably their lowest priority rn, but I hope our themes over, I can't stand the neopets yellow, and that combined with the rounded text boxes makes the whole site feel a bit like club penguin or the like circa 2009. Don't get me wrong, the current site has it's issues, but I rather like the blocky rectangle feel and I feel like this smooth UI only makes it... more dated? It's like a petpet park fever dream, and it feels like it's being redesigned for 10 years in the past, not as a modern website.

palenque, 04/23/2020, 12:27 pm NST
Awesome, wow! It's so exciting to see this- I can't wait for it to move to a more public beta!

dave - JN Staff, 04/23/2020, 12:27 pm NST
@cheyennet2: I wouldn't count on the AC being Flash-free this year. It'd be great, but Flash still does work until the end of 2020, so priority wise, it might be better to focus on other things (since they would have January 2021 through May 2021 to work on converting AC stuff).

dave - JN Staff, 04/23/2020, 12:28 pm NST
@clockworkcrypt: Site themes are staying! (Check out the release notes posted at the bottom of the post above.) They aren't available yet, but will be ported over eventually

flamezeai, 04/23/2020, 1:02 pm NST
Thank you for the pictures!! It looks great!

sky15919, 04/23/2020, 1:59 pm NST
I was wondering do we have different site theme colours for mobile now? The og bright yellow isn’t my thing x)

nevermornian, 04/23/2020, 2:08 pm NST
Does the drag'n'drop customization works as they showed on CC? That was pretty cool :0

The new design looks very promising! Can't wait to hear more about it

jawsch, 04/23/2020, 2:09 pm NST
@sky15919
They said all the site themes will eventually be made for mobile as well, plus some mobile only themes

terry, 04/23/2020, 2:13 pm NST
Wow, this looks really slick.

1jediboy, 04/23/2020, 2:14 pm NST
@kiwibeast - YES!!!

"donate to the Money Tree on the toilet?" YES!!! 🤩👍🚽

I'mma do EVERYTHING on the toilet now! Stocks, interest, games, shop stocking... clearly not feeding, though.

*bigshot knocks repeatedly on door* Dad, PLEASE!!! You've been in there for 5 HOURS!!! 😩

(fake slogan)
"Neopets!: Go to the bathroom and don't come out"

alli_draggy, 04/23/2020, 2:15 pm NST
...looks neat, but all my lookup layouts are header/footer based, so I'm gonna need to redesign EVERYTHING. Have they said anything about what's gonna happen to neoHTML and petpages etc.?

purplebin, 04/23/2020, 2:31 pm NST
I'm still a bit confused about all this. Is the mobile version simply a different way to play our current Neopets accounts? It just all looks and works differently while on a mobile device?

dave - JN Staff, 04/23/2020, 3:18 pm NST
@purplebin: For now. Eventually, this will be the desktop site as well, and the site layout as we know it (since 2007) will be gone.

We'll probably live in a hybrid version for awhile until they can update each page. (And there's a lot of pages in Neopia!)

infernal_kitty, 04/23/2020, 3:33 pm NST
Interesting. I'm not a fan of the Action Pop-up, simply because a few of those actions aren't really useful. And while I like the bookmarks feature, what is really justifying the value of Premium - apart from the SSW?

thepapercutjellyfish, 04/23/2020, 3:45 pm NST
Does anyone know what will happen to petpages and userlookups? I worked SO hard on mine

fenix, 04/23/2020, 6:12 pm NST
I heard rumor UCs aren't supported on this new site. Is that true? Are they finally getting the axe?

jawsch, 04/23/2020, 6:35 pm NST
The UC rumor was started by trolls it’s not true.

ULs and stuff will likely remain but the desktop site (eventually) will change from what we see it as now. So it may break some peoples stuff when they move over.

I don’t see that happening for some time though (the desktop site changing)

sketch, 04/23/2020, 6:37 pm NST
Is the beta live for everyone? Is it an app i need to download or just go on the site on my phone because i don't see the updated version...the main page is still ghoul catchers and then the same as the desktop layout...?

numb3r, 04/23/2020, 7:03 pm NST
What is on "settings" on the second last image?

Also not very amused by the new layout, hopefully they will change some stuff, like the home page should be the news, showing current events, so you don't have to click and click to get to the page, you also don't forget about it when you log in, since there are so many events where you MUST participate every day or will miss the bonus (or even add that to the notification/alerts feature, instead that BEING the news lol)

The horizontal scroll doesn't work very well in this case, what if one day we would be able to have like 10 pets?? Having to click just to find the pet you want is pretty much annoying imo. Maybe adding thumbnails of your pets on the top or bottom and then you just click on one of them to make it bigger (there is reaaaaally a huge blank space on the top they could do that), hope Nilo won't be there after the beta or it will be quite distracting

There is also a problem if that "home page" is also the my pets page, what if I don't remember which pet has a certain bg and want to use it on another pet?

The bookmarks should either be only with images that represents the page that was bookmarked or add these images intead of neopia

Aaaand the font the the numbers is not a good one, it's too thick and too little space between each number, on a mobile it will be veeery hard to look at

flyspraysandwich, 04/24/2020, 12:32 am NST
Are you able to show us more phone screenshots?

starryfaerie, 04/24/2020, 12:40 am NST
Please show us a few more phone screenshots if you can. And can you also let us know if the page layout changes if you use portrait vs. landscape orientation on a phone?

apophis324, 04/24/2020, 7:20 am NST
So.. this is what it will look like on mobile phones and tablets... how will it affect the website? Will that also look like this? Excessive...

mavegibson, 04/24/2020, 12:41 pm NST
Can anyone tell me what the customization system is like? Will it finally be possible to have access to all our customization items from the customization screen, rather than just a fraction of what you own? The closet limits have been one of the biggest beefs I have with Neopets.

mavegibson, 04/24/2020, 12:42 pm NST
THANK THE GODS they have converted Ice Cream Machine. Love that game.

mavegibson, 04/24/2020, 12:44 pm NST
Plus, it's really heartbreaking to see all these neglected pets. I agree with @kiwibasket - you really need to feed your pets, Dave!

faellie_ridiculous, 04/24/2020, 2:17 pm NST
On your phone, you will see one pet at a time on the home screen? On a tablet, you will see three? So there will be a lot of scrolling involved. I guess that is to be expected.

I'm a bit confused about the customization and pet display. If your pets are wearing clothing they show up dressed on the homepage against that forest backdrop? But backgrounds, foregrounds, etc. do not? Is there a closet limit? Search by zone? I cannot tell if having thousands of wearables works well in this system?

I suppose there is an overall element of convenience that is positive, but I'm not certain I would want to play exclusively on a device if this is what it looks like. I'm not an on-the-go player anyway. I usually only Neopet at home when I am alone with time on my hands.

nicole24, 04/24/2020, 3:33 pm NST

-- Agree

gigiamore, 04/24/2020, 5:03 pm NST
I think this would be okay for a phone, but I would still want the site to be a proper desktop site for the computer, or at least one you could swap in and out of. I can't stand it when mobile sites display on desktop by accident sometimes, it's way too big for a computer screen and just doesn't work.

Fingers crossed they'll keep a classic site around, but I doubt it. Unfortunately that's when I'll have to say goodbye.

clock_flower, 04/24/2020, 9:31 pm NST
This looks pretty neat! I'm a little worried about the likes of the Game Graveyard (mostly Destruct-O-Match II), but other than that, it looks really promising. I particularly like that it looks like you can interact more directly with your pets, that'd be nice.
And that thing about Petpets, man... it totally won me over, I've wanted that for so long. Also I like the style they used for the interface -- friendly, haptic-looking, and inviting. Plus it matches the style of the home screen on current mobile neopets very nicely.

tezzika, 04/25/2020, 5:10 am NST
I really love the way the new site looks! I am Premium and have been for years, when can we get this?

petitehirondelline, 04/25/2020, 8:03 am NST
"Without further ado" not "adieu"...

mavegibson, 04/25/2020, 10:42 am NST
I'm sure they'll keep a desktop site, but it won't look/function the same as the one we have right now. I'm glad for that - I welcome change. The site hasn't been updated for how many years now? It's a relic and is really starting to show its age.

rasupdoo, 04/25/2020, 1:35 pm NST
Looking cool! Can't wait

gigiamore, 04/25/2020, 1:38 pm NST
Maybe that's it. I'm 30 and I like things to still scroll like a web page, take JN for instance, this site has updated sections but still functions like a classic website. I do agree that lots of the site needs an update though. I hope that we're able to still see our pets on a side bar as we wander around Neo though.

kreyrie, 04/26/2020, 1:42 am NST
I like the mobile for mobile. I surely hope that an updated look won't ruin the already not too horrible layout that neo has. It functions like a website on desktop but it really could use an update, not an upheaval. With that in mind, the mobile layout for desktop would be like trying to use duplo with legos. It just ain't gonna work.

Mobile looks... "cute" though.

mavegibson, 04/26/2020, 2:14 pm NST
Yeah, I agree. I HATE websites that go 'mobile-friendly' to the extreme that the desktop site is no longer user-friendly. I hope Neo strikes the right balance in this regard.

foxlover, 04/26/2020, 4:11 pm NST
what is really justifying the value of Premium - apart from the SSW?
^nerkmids from the battledome and additional pet. these are the reasons that I pay for it. plus the NC bonus item, which sometimes end up being pretty valuable

sawg66, 04/26/2020, 10:02 pm NST
how do I find neopets beta site

chibiaden14, 05/3/2020, 3:23 pm NST
I don't even know how to FIND IT on my phone..

xxsinger, 05/7/2020, 3:37 pm NST
Did they already found people for their testing?

cjc4light, 05/9/2020, 7:14 am NST
I did not sign up to test this and I don't want to test it. I cannot customize my pets. Very unhappy not to be able to opt out of this.

smartypants902, 05/9/2020, 8:47 am NST
Used beta money tree today on PC. Does not have the normal 10 item limit.
Clicking the new refresh tab when scrolled down to see bottom right of 20 items available causes page to move to the top showing only top line of 20 items available. This causes me to rescroll down to see latest items if I ues the new refresh button. Using F5 to refresh allows page to remain where scrolled.
Like the 3 line format better than current 4 line format.

lalaiscool600, 05/9/2020, 4:35 pm NST
FEED YOUR PETS THREE WORDS

araeveya, 05/10/2020, 6:44 am NST
Hmm I can see a lot of potential in being able to change the overall background for your pets in this!

overlysweet, 05/12/2020, 2:50 pm NST
I didn't sign up to test the beta version and I don't like how I can't opt out of it.

cjc4light, 05/12/2020, 3:06 pm NST
Also me I did not sign up for this and I hate how I can't sign oout of it. I can't Customize my pets or access the hundreds of items I have spent real money on. I have Cancelled my Premium and will not spend another dime on this site until they restore my account. Really this is too much, Premium users should not be treated so Poorly!!!

emrah, 05/13/2020, 8:04 am NST
This is jus ugly how the copied the NewSubeta Design. Poor quality and very disgusting. Neo is over now.

molnarc, 05/17/2020, 2:05 pm NST
Hate the beta site. Might as well be 5 years old.