Earn NP from playing games!
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!
Discover the characters of Neopia in our Book of Ages!

Half Price Items Alert!
Today is Half Price Day in all of the official Neopian Shops! Enjoy restocking items for half of their restock price until midnight NST tonight. [Close Alerts]
Neopets to Host Focus Groups in Los Angeles
  • Posted on February 20, 2020, 3:35 pm NST

If you live in the Los Angeles area, are between the ages of 18 and 35, have played Neopets for 2+ years and 2+ hours per week, The Neopets Team is looking to speak to you and fellow Neopians who meet that criteria!

The focus groups will be held in Westwood, Los Angeles (close to Santa Monica and Beverly Hills).

If you're interested in participating, you should send an email to community@neopets.com with your name, age, phone number, Neopets username, and a few sentences about what keeps you playing Neopets.

CALLING ALL LOS ANGELES BASED NEOPETS PLAYERS! The Neopets team wants to meet you and hear about what you think about the Neopets brand, game and community. On Wednesday, March 4th, 2020 we're running focus groups in Westwood, Los Angeles. And we want to invite a few of our players to participate. The groups will last about 2-3 hours and we will be providing a gift at the end as a thank you for your time. The requirements are you are between 18-35, live in Los Angeles, have played Neopets for at least 2 years and play 2+ hours a week.

Interested? If so, and you meet the criteria, and you're available in LA on March 4...Please send us an email! Include your name, age, phone number, Neopets username, and a couple of sentences on what keeps you playing Neopets

Email us at community@neopets.com. Note, we will be sharing your information with our research company so they can call and schedule potential participants. By emailing us, you agree to this. Your info will not be shared or used for anything other than this one project.

We are excited to hear what our community has to say!

-Scrappy

Even if you're not in Los Angeles, we're interested to hear from you... what keeps you playing Neopets week to week, month to month? Let us know by sharing the comments!
zixianna, 02/20/2020, 3:39 pm NST
Drat, Ive aged out of focus groups....

yoshimax, 02/20/2020, 3:45 pm NST
Hopefully they'll do something like this on the East Coast sometime.

cheyennet2, 02/20/2020, 4:21 pm NST
The message says you have to live in Los Angeles. Is that actually a requirement or do you just have to be able to get there?

maple_snow, 02/20/2020, 4:24 pm NST
Classic Neohomes were why I started playing. And even now, years later, they're apart of why I still play.

1jediboy, 02/20/2020, 4:29 pm NST
^YES! Please!!! East Coast!

"What keeps you playing Neopets week to week, month to month?"

The satisfactory feeling of getting gold trophies on games, obtaining pieces for collections, raising the stats of my pets and earning Neopoints, appreciating beautiful art-pieces in the gallery/NT/Beauty Contest, reading brilliant lore from The Neopets Team and The Neopian Times, (aspiring to make NT content myself one day, since I was little), and above all else...

Loyalty! Sheer loyalty!

Out of all the gaming websites I've played on,
Postopia, Poptropica, Kidscom, MonkeyQuest, PBSkids, Disney, Cartoonnetwork, Nick, etc...

Neopets is a part of who I am... and I will always love it, no matter who's hands it is in! 🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡

josie, 02/20/2020, 4:55 pm NST
Giving an age limit of 35 is not good. There are players on the site that are older than that, and some of them have been around since the beginning.

scarlet189, 02/20/2020, 4:56 pm NST
Well I'm glad they're doing research, if this is any indication of future stuff for the site [ex. merch or new events]. It's too bad that it isn't on another coast, as you are only getting a portion of the fan base. But I am glad for communication, so long as they pin this on the site for awhile.
As for what keeps me going, I'd have to say the games, AC [and my wonderful teammates!], the creativity of the community when it comes to contests or even just doing stuff for fun. And the friends I have made on here, and also introduced people to the site. And advent calendar, i like waiting for the new animations (plus it means possible free books!).

indigosparkles, 02/20/2020, 5:14 pm NST
I still play because it is a habit LOL. I've been playing for about 17 years and can't imagine my life without Neopets at this point.

blubblub91, 02/20/2020, 6:17 pm NST
I match all the recommendations, but I have college classes all day!

puffkins2000, 02/20/2020, 6:50 pm NST
I've been on Neo for 20 years; I'd like to go to one of these meetings and give them my opinions! Most probably would get me kicked out, lol. One thing I would LIKE to see is being able to link our side accounts to our main account, and kind of just switch accounts easily that way (( like Instagram does )).

I'd also like them be at Comic Con on the East Coast as well, instead of just doing the California one. Not everyone lives on that coast. XP

insane000illusions, 02/20/2020, 6:56 pm NST
Ya the age limit is kinda silly. I'll be 36 in a few months and I've been here for years

1jediboy, 02/20/2020, 7:24 pm NST
@puffkins2000 - If you'd like for Neopets to do a convention on the East Coast, then you could sign my petition!

tycooncorb, 02/20/2020, 8:59 pm NST
Why not just read the tons of neoboard that have been made requesting changes to get an idea of what the users wants?

peppermint, 02/20/2020, 11:25 pm NST
The age limit thing is pretty ridiculous... If someone started playing when they were 16 the year Neo started, and they loyally kept at it all these years they'd be 36 now and have 20 years worth of observations about the site... but this focus group deems them too *old* for opinions?

vamp_lula, 02/21/2020, 12:39 am NST
Agree with peppermint..the age limit is a little ridiculous. I see they wish to pull in more people in that age range, but really they should be asking more of those loyal 10-20 year players why they still play.

katina_choovanski, 02/21/2020, 1:13 am NST
It's a good thing for them that a great deal of their fan base IS older people or they'd be up the creek for revenue.
This offends me both in location-L.A. ? JUST L.A.? Couldn't they set this up online? There are TONS of sites who get feedback this way. Yet another dis by Neopets. Couldn't get to '19 comic con and am now being excluded AGAIN because I don't happen to live in CA. Give me a BREAK!! I don't appreciate this AT ALL!!

jazbay, 02/21/2020, 3:19 am NST
Why do they only care about Californians? Every single time.

faellie_ridiculous, 02/21/2020, 4:26 am NST
If their offices are in LA, it makes sense from a financial standpoint to host an event there. I imagine that they cannot justify the expense of traveling to the right coast. Are the LA based players really so different than the NY based players like myself? Probably not.

18-35 is one of those weird pre-determined demographic groups established for their marketing purposes, I suppose. If you are a few years older and wish to attend, send the email and give them a reason to include you.

The boards are full of anonymous trolls, so I can see why they would like to meet people face-to-face instead of taking posts as gospel. Hopefully, people conduct themselves with some dignity in person while expressing their opinions and frustrations. Be kind; be honest.

We are still playing after many years, because we have an emotional attachment to the site despite its shortcomings. It has always had shortcomings. Though they shift over time. We still wait around for something better to happen. For improvements and modernization. Our optimistic child-selves still think it possible.

debgil, 02/21/2020, 5:50 am NST
Faellie's last paragraph, in BOLD. And as a 69 year old Granny who has been playing Neo since it began should I be offended by age restrictions? Thing that have kept me in Neo are connecting with older Neopians and those who are there just needing someone to connect with. Also, *cough* being in and then leading SOTAC for years probably helped also. *lol*

catsrnice, 02/21/2020, 6:10 am NST
I'm guessing LA has a focus group company there who regularly group focus a lot of people. Dedicated focus groupers.

Not sure Neopets is located there.

sithra, 02/21/2020, 6:57 am NST
I wish I could but I'm over the age limit and live in the Midwest. But I buy a lot of NC so maybe my opinion would help?

mistyraider, 02/21/2020, 8:26 am NST
Neopets offices are in the LA area (LA county is 4,084 square miles and covers a lot of diversity). Makes sense they would want to have the focus groups there.

I've been playing for about 16 years, but am way past their target age group. I think they should also have focus groups for people who have been playing for 10+ years -- that would give them a lot of info and different ages too.
Also, no matter what age you are, if you play neo you have to be kind of young at heart!

topaz644, 02/21/2020, 10:38 am NST
Yeah, the marketing age group is weird and a bit insulting. I was past that age when I started playing Neo.

Now I have "disposable" income. Heads up JS

inkpot, 02/21/2020, 10:46 am NST
yeah the age limit is weird... but i wonder if that's just their way of trying to keep it limited to those who are aware of current trends and what's popular (not to say that if you're over 35 you don't know but that's what i feel like /they're/ saying).

ummy - JN Staff, 02/21/2020, 3:15 pm NST
18-35 is one of, if not the most, valuable age groups for advertisers. They probably want to explore if they can tap into that audience more, or see how to keep them around.

pamela_ptt, 02/21/2020, 3:21 pm NST
Don't know why they put 35 as their age limit

lokaula, 02/21/2020, 7:03 pm NST
@pamela_ptt, I agree with the age limit not being great. And also, when will NP have something like this on the East Coast?

katina_choovanski, 02/21/2020, 10:30 pm NST
My main problem is the EXCLUSIVITY of ONLY people who are local. For comic-con there were a FEW items, now practically unobtainable for almost everyone. Where's the fun in being excluded just because you're not in the neighborhood. That's bupkiss. Remember ad based games? And our poor little P3's in habitarium. I spent a LOT of time on that game-adjusting and moving, and decorating, and spending $$. And then it's gone! All that money you paid to get stuff just gone, thank-you-very-much. Excluded, excluded, excluded... Stuff Neopians love, and have been VERY clearly vocal about, just not acknowledged. The information is THERE. It's all over the boards if they cared to look.

mzlish, 02/22/2020, 8:29 am NST
I understand why they exclude it to LA... but.. come on... isn't there ANY wiggle room for them to expand on where they have these things? So many conventions around the US.. why not at least do a North American "tour"? Just have 3 people travel and have players fill out a survey at a small booth. As small as the player base is now, they are SCATTERED around the world. I know they can't reach everyone, but constantly having your groups/parties in the same state is extremely limited. Not everyone has the ability to fly across the country(in some cases, the world) to talk to people about a game they play on the internet.

Also, the age limit is kinda silly. I know they target a certain demographic, but thats NOT reality. Most of the current players are over 25, and A LOT are even at grandparent age. Just ask the current players what they would like to see, and work out a way to include the new generations. How hard is that? We don't need an age limit here.

mzlish, 02/22/2020, 8:31 am NST
That being said, I would've loved to participate. I hope a lot of people show up.

lucien, 02/22/2020, 8:55 pm NST
Neopets is a children's site at the end of the day, so I understand why the focus group is so young. They might want to start attracting a new generation of kids to the site too.

scarlet189, 02/23/2020, 5:12 pm NST
@mzlish as great as that would be to have something like that, a thought came to mind. CA is one of the highest expense based places to rent, and these people may not have the finances to travel too far. Remember, they've got bills to pay just like us.
And age group wise, they keep numbers in a certain range always. It is unfair, but it gives an idea of some things people are into or aren't/needs work.
@faellie ridiculous you totally nailed this entire conversation so articulately!

tar0n, 02/24/2020, 1:03 am NST
I signed up for the focus group. I'm 28 now and have been playing for well over 15 years I think :o I read some of your comments and I'll keep it in mind :o might come in handy If I get picked to participate, I won't let you all down