Vonroo alert!

Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!
A searchable database of Neopets images
Discover the characters of Neopia in our Book of Ages!

Halloween Costume Contest Winners Announced
  • Posted on December 19, 2019, 8:30 am NST

The winners of Neopets' Costume Competition have finally been announced, with trophies awarded to the pet lookups of the individual Neopets who placed. (If your Neopet placed in multiple rounds, your Neopet received multiple trophies.)

To view the winners, you'll need to view each round individually, which you can do from the Costume Competition hub:

View Winners
shakespeareofborg, 12/19/2019, 9:00 am NST
I'm not sure this was a very fair competition - one person has one at least two categories with exactly the same costume, just a different title!

chrissy, 12/19/2019, 9:28 am NST
Does anyone have any tips on how to view the winners? All the pages are blank for me. I've tried clearing my cache and tried different browsers, flash is activated. Not sure what else to try.

chrissy, 12/19/2019, 9:46 am NST
Never mind, someone from the board helped me. I had to view the winners from a side account.

herdy - JN Staff, 12/19/2019, 10:54 am NST
Yeah if you have transferred a pet you entered into the contest (either during the contest or since) you'll be locked out of seeing winners on that account.

mavegibson, 12/19/2019, 11:11 am NST
Yay, one of my pets won a wood trophy. I guess that makes the frustrations worth it.

I hope they make sweeping changes to how this is handled in the future. It was a real gong show, with so many poorly executed elements. Any future contest should:

1] Only allow one entry per pet per player for the entire duration of the contest (i.e. people have to make decisions about which category they want to enter a pet into).
2] Capture the costume so the player can change the pet's costume without it affecting the contest entry.
3] Change the voting to be one day only so that players don't lose interest before the contest is over.
4] Fix issues with voting that enabled the same costume to come up more than once in voting if page was refreshed.

Overall it was fun, but utterly plagued with issues of administration and fairness.

zeelink, 12/19/2019, 12:00 pm NST
Kudos to all the winners, regardless of the troubles during this event. There are some really nice customs there

apophis324, 12/19/2019, 12:02 pm NST
@herdy
Well that's unfair.. I entered the contest with a pet I had as a lab-rat that I later set free once it was zapped to a nice colour. Now I can't see the results because of that? What nonsense. I didn't send the pet away until after the event had ended..

josie, 12/19/2019, 12:28 pm NST
Congrats to all the winners!

I was hoping for a little participation medal for the rest of us, but that's alright

phenixia, 12/19/2019, 1:23 pm NST
Hurray! I won two wood trophies! I usualy never win any contests, so I'm really surprised! Congratulations to all winners and participants!

For next year, I hope they'll take a screenshot of the character. It would be easier to participate.

faellie_ridiculous, 12/19/2019, 2:01 pm NST
One of my pets earned two silver NC trophies. Frankly, more than I expected. I'm an amateur customizer at best with a very limited closet of items. Have never won the CS. I didn't put forth any tremendous effort here either. Literally threw outfits together in minutes.

While voting, I saw a lot of great customs that did not appear as winners. Have nfs whose entries in same categories blew mine away. I don't feel all that deserving as a result and not too excited about winning.

I have a feeling that the selection of winners was arbitrary and not even based on voting. Especially since it took so long. A lot more winners chosen than I imagined, and don't get me wrong some very good ones, but overall not that special to me. Subjective opinion, but I stand by it.

Congratulations if you won and it made you happy. I'm a grinch.

kitkatmeeoow, 12/19/2019, 4:11 pm NST
Wahoo, I actually won one of the wood trophies for the Geeks Wear Glasses round (Kit_Pixie as The sophisticated artist). I almost never win anything and have yet to even make it past second round on the costume contest here so I am happy!

kitkatmeeoow, 12/19/2019, 4:14 pm NST
Oops, just realized I won a Bronze trophy, not a wood.

bananabunny, 12/19/2019, 6:15 pm NST
Looks like for the most part they just lazily picked pets from the same people over and over again so that they wouldn't have to go through all the entries lol.

inkpot, 12/19/2019, 6:35 pm NST
hmmm i thought they'd be trophies for your userlookup. if i knew they'd be petlookup types i'd have entered...

i think next year they should really focus on one entry per person... some of these ppl i even see continuously winning even the customization spotlight multiple times a year with the same pet/custom.

dave - JN Staff, 12/20/2019, 7:13 am NST
@mave: I'd also add that they should announce the contest in advance, along with the categories to give everyone a chance to prepare.

topaz644, 12/20/2019, 9:38 am NST
The trophies are really cute. That's the best I can say about this contest. lol

topaz644, 12/20/2019, 9:40 am NST
To be fair though, I think they came up with this on the fly, a last minute thing. If they do it again they can fine tune it.

shakespeareofborg, 12/20/2019, 10:06 am NST
I definitely wonder how the winners were picked since a couple of mine were almost identical to some of the winners (same items, different pet species, or maybe one item different).

But congrats to the winners all the same!

roshchodesh, 12/20/2019, 4:35 pm NST
Purplebin,who often posts here at jellyneo, had a grand entry that won a trophy in NC Heroes and Villians category, "Heermeedjet and Meerouladen". I thought it was very funny and very clever! Brava!

diamondjirachi, 12/22/2019, 4:29 am NST
Its funny that the only pet i didnt even bother dressing differenty than usual ended up wining 2nd place in the first category, while non of my other Pets won anything

miranai, 12/23/2019, 4:02 am NST
Hmm, just noticed this and my pet has two gold trophies for some reason even though for all I can tell I only placed in one category.

This was a cute contest but maybe if they do it again next year, they can cut down the categories and limit number of times a single pet can enter, or just screenshot the entry as is once it's entered to prevent the chaos that happened when categories changed. Maximum voting time should have been five office days at most; I often forgot to keep voting because I thought it had already finished.