All the hottest looks, try them on today!
Create your own wishlists!
Help us model your pets!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Charity Corner

Future of Flash Content
  • Posted on March 29, 2019, 8:48 pm NST

This week's editorial had a very revealing and informative message from Scrappy about the future of various Flash-heavy parts of Neopia.

Of special note, we now know that they plan on converting games in batches of 10. Customisation has also been acknowledged as currently in the works for being converted, with a beta of a Flash-free version expected this summer. There's also confirmation that an app is currently not in the works, but also not off the table for the future.

Read the message in full below:

Special serious announcement from Scrappidoodledandy!

Hey Neopians!

Scrappy here to give you a little update on what’s going on here in Neopia. There’s a lot of rumors and speculations going around, so I want to be very upfront with you guys on what our plans are at the moment for moving our lovely home to mobile.

As we are all aware, all this flash has got to go. Largest part of that being the customization that allows us to make our Neopets look all spiffy. We’re currently working on moving all the art over and are hoping to get a beta version out to you guys early this summer. Once that is up and running you will be able to customize your lovely pets on any browser at any time!

Another topic of discussion here is all our games. The plan right now is to move these over in batches, starting with about 10 games and moving more from there. We want to be able to bring over all of them with time but starting small will be quicker and let us take your guys feedback moving forward!

Of course, there has been other parts moving as I’m sure you all have noticed, such as the maps and other events using flash. We are hoping to get all these converted as soon as we can, focusing around the maps first and foremost then moving onto the other pieces from there.

I am also aware there has been many mentions of an app and while that is not out of the picture, we have decided to focus on moving away from flash and make that our top priority first. Along with moving away from flash, we are making a mobile friendly browser version to improve user experience when on a mobile device. This is another area we will want to release test versions as soon as we can and get all your feedback to improve moving forward.

Those are most of the updates for right now! I wanted to be very upfront with you guys here because since this is all to improve your experience, we want to make sure we can get your feedback and let that guide us each step of the way! I will be setting up a time soon to jump on the boards, so we can have a more open discussion about this as well but wanted to start with an update here!

As always, stay cool Neopians!

-Scrappy
parody_ham, 03/29/2019, 9:06 pm NST
I'm really glad about how open and honest Scrappy is about news and updates. It's very appreciated!

1jediboy, 03/29/2019, 9:11 pm NST
Thank goodness!

1jediboy, 03/29/2019, 9:12 pm NST
"We want to be able to bring over all of them with time"

1jediboy, 03/29/2019, 9:15 pm NST
"Of course, there has been other parts moving as I’m sure you all have noticed, such as the maps and other events using flash."

Jelly World needs a redraw...

josie, 03/29/2019, 10:18 pm NST
@1jediboy - They can't redraw a place that doesn't exist

1jediboy, 03/29/2019, 10:20 pm NST
*glares* *HISS*

gamer_5_55_555, 03/29/2019, 10:57 pm NST
Maybe your flash is broken if you're seeing things like that.

1jediboy, 03/29/2019, 11:32 pm NST
FLASH?! D>

WHY MUST I BE THE ONLY ONE TO SEE THIS SACRED BEAUTIFUL TOWN!!!
*shakes arms in the air*

mistyraider, 03/30/2019, 4:16 am NST
The rest of the Editorial is hysterical! I haven't gone to to boards to see if folks are upset, but I love how Jade has maintained a lovely equilibrium and not answered a single question . . . well except to comment on her food intake!

pikachu315111, 03/30/2019, 4:24 am NST
Only 10 games? Well, as long as it's the most popular (which also happen to be the most simple games, at least in my point of view) might not be too much of an issue. And hey, they could even resurrect AAA's "New" Game Challenge so that when another game gets re-coded into HTML5 it would be like a little event. This would also be a good time to maybe include little tibits in games they could use to make GMC more interesting (for example, tracking how many and what kind of Neggs you collected in Meerca Chase). Also be a nice time to update the Altador Cup games...

Maps shouldn't be too hard, while it would be nice for the ones with old art to get a re-draw if need be they can just use the old image just with no animation (which can be added later).

But old Events and Plots are a big question mark. Notably are the comics (some which even now are broken). A major part about Neopets is the lore it has built up and would be depressing and possibly even devastating to not bring that over (especially this could maybe give them an excuse to make a way to "re-live" the plot or event). I would also think this goes for the Advent Calendar animations.

gamer_5_55_555, 03/30/2019, 8:23 am NST
I loved the editorial too! I didn't get it until a few questions in.

gamer_5_55_555, 03/30/2019, 8:25 am NST
I like that they used the April Fool's neoplant as well to start the editorial

escrainus, 03/30/2019, 9:55 am NST
Oh please TNT take this chance to remade that hideous Bruno wig, I can't get over it

foxxyimpala, 03/30/2019, 12:28 pm NST
I wish they would just take the time to FIX the website instead of launching these ridiculous apps!!! I want to play Neopets without struggling with my stupid flash player!!!!!

contessa, 03/30/2019, 1:19 pm NST
I'm just worried what user like me will do after they make these changes? I don't know much about computers so not sure how reolacing Flash will affect those of us with old computers. Also, I don't have any mobile devices to play on so apps would not be of any help or use to me. I hope I will still be able to use the site after they do all of this.

masterdeals, 03/30/2019, 1:35 pm NST
There is also a trudy prize updated that was added. It's pretty nice.

contessa, 03/30/2019, 1:38 pm NST
Ok I just went and read the whole editorial. It would have been nice if they would have actually ANSWERED the questions, not just saying thanks for the food

surferaj, 03/30/2019, 2:28 pm NST
Compared new APPs and Plots, getting Flash Games and other site Flash Features converted needs to be a priority, so this update is great news. It indicates that they are batching their efforts; working on batches of 10 Games a time. There are 100's of Flash Games on the site, so this is a reasonable approach.

archmage, 03/30/2019, 6:48 pm NST
I like the idea of only having small batches of games at a time. Neopia has gotten so big that at times it feels a little unwieldy. This might make it feel a bit more like the old den days

I'd also like to say that, while I think that Jumpstaff have been a pretty big disappointment re: running the site, I'm a big fan of Scrappy. You can tell she's doing the best she can with the whole situation

cat, 03/30/2019, 10:36 pm NST
I’m not surprised they’re only doing a few games at a time, remember that not only do they have to change the games to another format but they may also want to change the controls to make them playable on mobile.

I’m glad they’re prioritizing flash content over the app, both because the game needs the flash content to function and because I don’t think an app is going to be that useful for a game like Neopets.

cat, 03/30/2019, 10:54 pm NST
It’s true Jade didn’t directly answer any questions, but all* the questions were either suggestions for content (I second the orchid request) or requests for fixes, where the main answer would be acknowledging that the suggestion was received and effort will be made to fix them. Posting the question acknowledges that they received the request.

*With the exception of the Charity Corner one, where the non-answer was a “Lol, I’m not gonna tell you” disgusted as food obsession. That was brilliant.

xhriis, 03/31/2019, 4:40 pm NST
Yay! I'm glad they're hard at work to get rid of flash.