Altador Cup VII
Help us model your pets!
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!
A searchable database of Neopets images

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup XV

Legends and Letters Released
  • Posted on January 17, 2019, 12:56 pm NST

With details about exactly which locations Legends and Letters will be launching in today a bit sparse, it's been unclear exactly when the app is releasing - but it now appears to be live!

Currently, we only have a report of the app being live in Singapore on Android. If you're in Singapore, this link should lead you to the app (it will be broken for everyone else). Thanks to prada_prince for this information.

If you know of any other international stores or platforms now carrying the app, please let us know!

UPDATE: We've obtained a few screenshots of the app game play, thanks to our very own Leaf.

ferinsy, January 17, 2019 1:09 PM NST
LOL that's for sure "certain locations" I'll wait until someone cracks it up and releases the apk somewhere just to be frustrated with another buggy game
dave - JN Staff, January 17, 2019 1:12 PM NST
It's a shame that TNT didn't announce the staged roll out earlier, but I'm glad to see they're going this route.

It's a good practice nowadays to slowly roll out new apps to certain regions so that the developer can closely monitor their servers and any error logging they have set up. I see this as Jumpstart being able to competently release an app and follow mobile app best practices.
berixmaster2010, January 17, 2019 2:59 PM NST
Not in Canada yet, which is weird considering a lot of mobile games these days launch here before they do in the US.
1jediboy, January 17, 2019 2:59 PM NST
OMG!!!! Anyone who has access to it... DOES IT HAVE ANIMATIONS?!?!?! (Yes or no. Don't say what they are if there are any, please.)
kawaiicurls, January 17, 2019 3:39 PM NST
Moment to be frustrated at the fact that I live 4 hours out of Singapore xD no app on the Android store here yet
ferinsy, January 17, 2019 4:22 PM NST
@1jediboy from the trailer and from what people from Singapore are talking in the forums, there aren't any animations, just comics. They aren't drawing things, they are just taking old art and existent templates to photoshop everything together. So I'd not expect more than a over 1 second per frame animation.
1jediboy, January 17, 2019 4:40 PM NST
^...Maybe that's just a 0.1 beta?
escrainus, January 17, 2019 6:11 PM NST
@ferinsy woah that sounds sadder than what I would expect, like I tought in the trailer characters moved in battle..
1jediboy, January 17, 2019 6:20 PM NST
Don't lose hope yet! This might just be the beta!
tycooncorb, January 17, 2019 6:53 PM NST
@ferinsy That's disappointing to hear :/
escrainus, January 17, 2019 7:50 PM NST
@jedi well it better be, but they should clarify this, dunno if the app says anything given there is not even a single video yet so.. looks more like a release rather than a beta..
1jediboy, January 17, 2019 9:04 PM NST
*deep-breath* Animation inside, is there a single-player function? And is the app free?
leafthethief - JN Staff, January 17, 2019 10:28 PM NST
The app is freemium, means free to play, but you can pay for bonus content in-game, like customisation or summoning new characters (think NC).
Most of the game is single-player
And yeah, no animation, or at least not so much, only a few jumping sprites in action phase.
1jediboy, January 17, 2019 10:43 PM NST
Thank you, Leaf!

Ferinsy: "They aren't drawing things, they are just taking old art and existent templates to photoshop everything together."

@ferinsy - You said they weren't drawing things and it was old art! There IS new art in this!

It's ok if there's no animation. There's new art! It looks cool!
My hype is back!

One last question: Do you earn neopoints that go toward the site? And if you do, is it in ADDITION to the Ghoul Catchers app? Or in place of?
stormmonarch, January 17, 2019 10:51 PM NST
Wow. I live in Singapore. I should try the game later.
leafthethief - JN Staff, January 17, 2019 11:33 PM NST
the account linking is broken at the moment, so not sure about that
and there is indeed new art, all the story comic is new, and Aurrick has a new outfit as you can see in the screenies
1jediboy, January 17, 2019 11:55 PM NST
Thanks, bro! 😄
herdy - JN Staff, January 18, 2019 2:42 AM NST
To clarify — it’s new arrangements of old art. There’s a few things they have drawn but for the majority what they’ve done is take old art assets from various Neopets sources and edit them.

That’s not nessesarily a bad thing. Reusing old art in new ways is far cheaper and allows for more content to be produced. We’ll see about the story that goes on top though.
gigiamore, January 18, 2019 5:12 AM NST
Great, why can't we get actual comics like that for plots on the real site? :/ Even if they are re-used, it's so much better than the rubbish we've got now.
cloonshannagh, January 18, 2019 5:30 AM NST
To me, it looks interesting! (And possible to play.) Thank you Leaf! I'm sure more action games are in the pipeline.
escrainus, January 18, 2019 5:52 AM NST
Let's hope they fix account link and add more original art there but that last part is not as important as making the game work, let's see how it develops until the full release.
jessalynn, January 18, 2019 6:30 AM NST
Wow! That looks cool! O.O
combustibles, January 18, 2019 7:00 AM NST
wow, old art reused and lazily added effects to... why did I get my hopes up that it'd be at the very least to standard with the other app..
theartofscreaming, January 18, 2019 7:24 AM NST
*GASP* I LOVE IT ALREADY. The art of Aurrick looks really good, just like Neopet's old style! I don't mind the reusing of old art, they made it looks really good! I'm still confused as to why Hannah is with the pirates... but this just adds fuel to my headcanon that Garin is her brother, so I'm not gonna whine about it. I can't wait to see what other characters show up in the app!
theartofscreaming, January 18, 2019 7:30 AM NST
It still cracks me up that they're showing Altador Cup players as enemies though.
biediep, January 18, 2019 9:42 AM NST
Okay so first we get Ghoul Catchers which is just a Neopets version of candy crush (that's barely even Neo-related, would've been cuter with petpetpets or something but meh, it's good for NPs so I won't complain xD) and now we have Neopets scrabble. Does this hand out album items and/or NPs too or is it just for "fun"? lol.
reeves, January 18, 2019 10:47 AM NST
So FYI, I launched the app again today hoping to continue playing from where I left off (in Maraqua). Apparently now all the levels in krawk island which I've completed yesterday is "relocked" and I need to play them again. while strangely the maraqua levels are okay. urghs. this game is so glitchy and buggy still. D:
reeves, January 18, 2019 10:54 AM NST
actually, kindly disregard what i said above. after meddling with the interface and buttons i realised that after you complete all 20 stages for the particular neopian land, you will unlock the same 20 stages again in another difficulty mode; easy, medium to hard.

so what i was looking on the screen was actually medium difficulty for krawk island. my bad *cough*
elepop, January 18, 2019 11:46 AM NST
Wait.. we know for sure that's Aurrick? He became a pirate???
herdy - JN Staff, January 18, 2019 12:28 PM NST
It's Aurrick. He's a 'highwayman' rather than a pirate. There's (so far at least) no explanation as to why he's on Krawk Island. Conclusion of Lyra and the Lost Heirloom might provide that.
topaz644, January 18, 2019 2:20 PM NST
I don't have mobile but I just downloaded Nox android emulator. When I'm feeling a bit more awake I'll try to get ghoulcatcher, then hopefully be able to play the new game when it comes out in the US.
sawg66, January 18, 2019 3:13 PM NST
still not in playstore
pikachu315111, January 18, 2019 10:37 PM NST
So, from the screenshots, the plot of the game may be Aurrick simply telling a tale to Scrap (and whoever else is around, probably in a Golden Dubloon-like location on Krawk Island) about him and a handful of heroes using a magical tablet to fight an evil force (which looks like Scrap, though probably just a joke to tease the kid).

Looks like one fight involves Gavril McGill using an evil version of "Dasher" Soley (while you have normal "Dasher" on your team, so evil clones). Also this Gavril isn't one of these evil clones, take that as you will...

Other potential party members:
Intro Screen: Gavril McGill(?), Hannah, Garin, & Jacques
Tutorial: Stan & Fyora
Normal: Cannon Master, "Dasher" Soley, Pirate Bomber, Aurrick, and player Neopet?
pikachu315111, January 18, 2019 10:46 PM NST
Also "heroes" in quotes. Ignoring the questionable allegiance of Gavril, Cannon Master and Pirate Bomber were villains. Granted they're grunts so maybe are acting as mercenaries for hire.
1jediboy, January 19, 2019 12:20 AM NST
^If they are mercenaries for hire, maybe they’re secretly affiliated with The Brute Squad.

Have evil spirit clones been used before in the lore?
tomatereloco, January 19, 2019 7:41 AM NST
What's the place between Meridell and Shenku?
pikachu315111, January 19, 2019 9:16 AM NST
@ 1jediboy:
Or they're just mercenaries for hire with no affiliation to any larger group. Would be nice though if they included the Obelisk Factions into this.

As for evil clones, there were the "Zombified Heroes" BD Challengers during the Champions of Meridell plot which were zombie versions of Jeran, Lisha, Morris, Boris, & Kayla. However other then that not really.

@ tomatereloco:
We've seen the map before and there looks to be new locations added to it. They'll probably play a part in the story.
nihana, January 19, 2019 2:31 PM NST
It looks good, I'm excited to try it when it is released here
reeves, January 20, 2019 3:57 AM NST
@pikachu
there are some obelisk factions members that I've encountered in this game. For a start, Sandro (aka Smug Philosopher) is in the game as a card character. A bit difficult to tell if there's more because only Maraqua and Krawk Island Chapters are playable atm.

Also, I encountered Xandra as an opponent in KrawkIsland. quite odd.
lokaula, January 21, 2019 9:55 PM NST
Sooo...it seems like you get to walk around with your Neopet? Or does anyone know if you have to "start all over" by picking/naming a new Neopet for this game? Also, is it just me or does this remind anyone else of PetPetPet Park just a little? I feel like Neopets has combined both Neopets with PetPetPet Park, sorta...
gigiamore, January 23, 2019 6:36 PM NST
Why is Faerieland in the sky again?

How has no one at TNT noticed this.
1jediboy, January 23, 2019 7:55 PM NST
^Old art. BEFORE the plot where Faerieland fell.
catsrnice, January 26, 2019 7:04 PM NST
....
why IS Faerieland in the sky again?
1jediboy, January 26, 2019 9:59 PM NST
^Escrainus says it should be based in the past and I agree with him. Aurrick would have to find time travel, though. Which has been confirmed to exist in neopia.
ferinsy, February 8, 2019 12:36 PM NST
Lol as I said, the art is old, and yeah, it may have some new art, but most things are way outdated. And the Faerieland matter, well, it's JS, they already made it clear: they don't know anything about lore and they just don't care about reading and learning.
1jediboy, February 21, 2019 12:43 AM NST
^That’s ironic considering what properties they own!