The Advent Calendar is here for all of December!
All the hottest looks, try them on today!
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
Create your own wishlists!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Advent

TNT Community Updates 25/10
  • Posted on October 26, 2018, 5:52 am NST

TNT staff member Hardtotame has held another Q&A session on the Site Events Neoboard yesterday evening. Here's a recap of what was said.

Avatars

On fixing the quality of recent stamp avatars:

I did talk to them, and I have word that they'll make time for it so you don't have to wait too long for the fix. Thanks for the updated page, I will pass it on as reference.

On the idea of using old MSN/AIM icons as new avatars:

we have discussed this before at work, but we never actually got to the point of identifying which ones to use for what actions. Thank you for suggestions page, I'll have someone look through them and identify ones we'd like to go with.

On the idea of an avatar for the Mystery Picture Contest:

I'm not really taken with the idea.

Items

On the idea of increasing the frequency of r100 items stocking in shops:

I really don't know what it takes to alter the frequency at which r100 items restock. This one's going to have to join the other items on the backlog for a programmer to learn more about and then take a decision on when he has some time.

A different user then suggested that the r100 restocks are actually broken, so HTT had more to say:

Oh, so you're saying it's a bug? Well this alters my answer to vitorplemes slightly, because items classified as bugs do get more priority than suggestions to change the way features work. However, it's still going to go into the backlog and it will have to sit there until someone finds the time to get to it.

On releasing the broken Grumpy Old King prizes:

the only update I can give is that the guy that will be working on it just got an extension on the deadline of his current project, so I'll try and see if he can make time for this in that gap. As for dates, I'm not going to venture there.

On the idea of buffing Battledome items restocking in shops:

We did in fact consider this and it is an idea that we liked. The discussion was more specific to weapons in the Hidden Tower, though. Upgrading weapons across shops is a much bigger undertaking and I think it would depend on how the HT weapon upgrade goes. That said, neither of this is on our immediate plans, it's just one of those things we do want to do.

On re-releasing the old Petpetpet granting Random Event:

We've got a few other missing Random Events (Tooth Faerie, Spring Gift Basket) that I've asked the team to look into. I'll add this one to that list.

On the slated re-release of old stamps:

No updates on either front. This is one of the projects we'd shortlisted from our backlog to take up next, but since then we've had several other priorities come up. (We've had a few Program Managers assess the way we work as a company, and we're changing a lot of our processes and the software we use to manage our work, so there's been a lot of sessions around that. - Hopefully our projects will move a lot more smoothly and predictably once all this is sorted out.)

We're focusing on stamps in particular because of the recent release of the stamp avatars.

On why Neoschool Supplies still exist:

Themed Neoschool supplies are released for people interested in collecting them for their galleries, mostly.

Pets

On the possibility of there being a new pound purge soon:

I'd say that depends on how old you are!

This is a decision that has to be made at a higher level, and it's not a simple one because it will take up several resources, so I can't say.

On releasing the pets on pound_release:

I did try to do some independent research into how it's done, but couldn't find anything. Now I just have to wait until a programmer can check and provide some insight into what we need to do to get this going again.

On allowing users to change capitalisation on their pet names:

I don't know whether changing the capitalization is any different from changing the name as far as our database is concerned. I can ask binary_supagoo and see what he thinks.

On wearables for babies, specifically Altador Cup themed ones:

If you're thinking of trinkets that would fit in a baby custom and are AC-themed, that's doable. But if you mean team-specific outfits for babies - that's a LOT of work for a very small subset of players. I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Features

On releasing Lutari Island via the main site rather than mobile:

This is something that we'd love to do, and we have discussed several ways of doing it, but it's not even in it's planning stages, so nothing soon.

On updating the Coming Soon page:

This isn't something we do over here, but I'll reach out to the ones in charge and see how we can keep that page more relevant. I know there's a lot we're not too keen on revealing/promising too much in advance so we'll have to figure out what level of detail we're willing to go into and then take it from there.

On upcoming site events:

GMC, the Advent Calendar and the Dream Pet Giveaway are all on the schedule.

On timers being off on certain site features (specifically Kadoatery in this case):

I don't know whether the two are connected. I did add this issue to our backlog, but since noone's actually looked into why it's happening, there's no saying whether there'll be a fix or not.

On the idea of designing a feature where users could 'solo' Neopets (i.e. no buying/selling or interaction with other users):

This is the first time I have even thought about this, and I'm pretty sure it would be the same for the others as well. Moreover, what we think about this right now may not be relevant to Neopet's reality 'way down the line', so I really can't say anything about this.

On the idea of a Gold Ban on the Caption Contest, similar to the Beauty Contest:

About the Caption Contest, I don't really follow the competitions, so I cannot say at this point. I can pass the suggestion on to the ones in charge.

Other Questions

On discussing how many people now work in Bangalore on Neopets:

I'd rather not

On users suggesting HTT is breaking promises for posting her board a whopping 4 minutes late:

I could go into a very personal explanation, but I'm not comfortable doing that so I'm just going to apologize and leave it at that. I'm sorry.

On meet and greets similar to Comic Con in the coming year:

No tentative dates for meet and greets in 2019.

On flash game conversion, and if it will all happen at once, or in batches:

It will be a few games at a time.

On increasing the Trading Post NP limit:

I cannot say.

On a delay in the High Score Table script awarding prizes:

I've got this bug on our backlog.

On whether or not players will be able to redeem old KQ codes once it returns:

I have reminded the higher ups that this is a concern, but we haven't made a decision on it either way yet.

On the recent Premium Collectable Cards being broken:

I will have someone look into the broken images.

Are you referring to the same one mentioned above? If yes, I will. If you're talking about the users who haven't been getting their cards, I have gone back and added all the extra information from the last Q&A into the ticket I previously created for it, and I asked a colleague to take a look at it.

This was the final slated Q&A session HTT has announced for now. We'll keep you posted if she announces any more!

piratepaintrox5, October 26, 2018 9:18 AM NST
People yelling at her for only being 4 minutes late? Yikessss
puffkins2000, October 26, 2018 9:52 AM NST
Doesn't surprise me people would yell at her for being four minutes late... People are crazy anymore. O_o

I would like to know why we don't get a lot of item updates in the news anymore. :/ I was expecting more Halloween items, too. Does anymore here remember when it used to be about four items for every news update? Ahhh, loved those times.
dave - JN Staff, October 26, 2018 10:23 AM NST
Yea, I can't roll my eyes hard enough at that 4 minute late comment.

Also nice to see that they're putting effort into their internal project management practices. It's not something we'll even explicitly notice, but it means their team will hopefully be more efficient and able to stretch resources farther.
1jediboy, October 26, 2018 10:49 AM NST
4 minutes... for shame of them to berate her for that!😑

The Bank has a limit?
1jediboy, October 26, 2018 10:56 AM NST
I mean, really?
You waited months for the confirmation of what dates she’ll be on,
you waited days for each of these meets to come,
you wait HOURS a day to finally get on her specific board... and you can’t be patient for four more minutes? I HOPE that person was joking when they said that.
kyrette, October 26, 2018 11:18 AM NST
The 4 minute late comment was stupid.
TNT are people, not robots, guys!
I'm glad there's at least someone who is keeping us on the loop.
And at least they're not saying 'no' to suggestions/fixes at all, but saying those are going to their backlog for the time being. Hopefully they won't forget to get to them, though.
1mimi290, October 26, 2018 11:26 AM NST
4 minutes late? Ridiculous to get made over.

I hope shes alright. Im sure shes a tough cookie, but generally when I hear things like "theres a personal reason and I dont wanna talk about it" it is very rarely something small like a popped tire.
1jediboy, October 26, 2018 3:38 PM NST
IS there a limit to how many neopoints you can have in the bank?
topaz644, October 26, 2018 3:55 PM NST
The inanity of some concerns some users have. Premium cards? Absolutely useless.

The Coming soon page? Get rid of it (just like JN had the good sense to do)
yoshimax, October 26, 2018 4:20 PM NST
1mimi290, I hope it was just something small. I figured she was probably just in the bathroom or something since it was only 4 minutes.
cat, October 26, 2018 5:28 PM NST
IS there a limit to how many neopoints you can have in the bank?
---
I've heard there is, it's really high but someone was saying they had to take 250 mil out of their bank account every day if they wanted to collect interest.
cat, October 26, 2018 5:29 PM NST
I keep missing these, I need to make a list of questions I want to ask.
escrainus, October 26, 2018 6:22 PM NST
I can't agree anymore with you topaz, like really, I feel this batch of questions an answers is just a waste of time, they didn't really gave any real answers or touched a lot of important themes... I need to look for the schedule.
1jediboy, October 26, 2018 8:42 PM NST
@Cat - Me too! (A list of questions)

250M daily?! *goes to JN bank calculator*

THAT'S 729,999,997,080 NEOPOINTS IN THE BANK!!!

If I reached that cap, I'd be DONE saving! If there were no cap, the economic inflation would climb with every interest collection!

I think that cap should be smaller! 100 billion.

If I had that much in daily interest, I would complete all my collections in a matter of weeks! If I had any more, I'd end Neopian poverty!!!
1mimi290, October 26, 2018 9:23 PM NST
if I had enough where I had to take out so much a DAY Id be quietly gifting random users on the daily tbh. what am I gonna do with it?
1jediboy, October 26, 2018 9:56 PM NST
^That's ending Neopian poverty!!!
ichabodisitchy, October 26, 2018 10:03 PM NST
Okay, so basically EVERYTHING is on the back burner.
mzlish, October 27, 2018 6:33 AM NST
^^^

If I got that much daily, I would also give NPs to random users, gift them items/wishes, etc.. I enjoy doing that anyway, but I am FAR from being rich LOL
mzlish, October 27, 2018 6:36 AM NST
@ichabodisitchy

That is because their main focus is the HTML5 conversion, which since the site is still stuck in 2005, will take a while to do. A lot of the site in in flash. I have faith in them.. though I was hoping it would've been completed by 4th quarter, but looks like it won't be complete until spring/summer of next year
dave - JN Staff, October 27, 2018 9:08 AM NST
@ichabodisitchy: They're currently working on moving the site away from Flash, finishing up Trick-or-Treating for next week, planning the GMC for next month, planning and drawing the Advent Calendar, and working on an unknown mini-plot (similar to Brightvale/Meridell) that we should be seeing by the end of the year.

Most of these small requests you see made by Neopians on these boards are backburner material compared to the list above.
1jediboy, October 27, 2018 11:46 AM NST
@mzlish - That’s ALSO ending Neopian poverty!
There’s so many charitable Neopians here!
combustibles, October 27, 2018 2:46 PM NST
Can we talk about HTT's unwillingness to talk about the amount of outsourced work.

My money's on most of the "staff" being outsourced workers.

It would explain why there's so many dumb mistakes being made and why there's no quality check.
cal_chetty, October 27, 2018 11:37 PM NST
@combustibles Because that's not her role and you're putting her in an awkward position. I'm just really grateful that there is someone trying to keep us in the loop. And we can all tell people just wanted to start a debate. This is Neopets people
1jediboy, October 28, 2018 12:34 AM NST
^Neopets!? THIS. IS. SPARTAAAA!!!!! *turns around and kicks the wall... accidentally throwing myself backward into the pit*
AAAAAAAAA-IWASJUSTTRYINGTOBEDRAMATIC-AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Safe splash*
katina_choovanski, October 28, 2018 4:17 AM NST
@ 1jediboy--(I'm OK!)
recklesse, October 28, 2018 4:24 AM NST
@combustibles, the staff at the Bangalore office are not 'outsourced' in the sense you seem to mean it.

According to JS's recruitment pages the staff of 130+ is split between 90+ employees at the Bangalore office and 30+ at the office in California. (Not sure how accurate the figures are, since they've stayed the same through several rounds of layoffs). They are also in the process of setting up additional facilities in Vancouver and Hong Kong. Their staff are employed to work across all of JumpStart's various titles however, and it's safe to assume that only a small fraction will be working on Neopets at any one time.

http://www.neopets.com/~httweeklythreads#tntteams gives an idea of how the different teams are structured.

http://www.jellyneo.net/index.php?comments=12523 - There you will see HTT gave an overview of some of the projects currently being prioritised.

It may not be what people are hoping to see, but it's a fair level of transpar
recklesse, October 28, 2018 4:26 AM NST
... oops, ran out of space.

-- (cont...)
It may not be what people are hoping to see, but it's a fair level of transparency at least. One problem is that there are so many niche groups of players, each wanting their one area of interest buffed up.
sakibou, October 30, 2018 1:52 PM NST
What sort of "Gold Ban" does the Beauty Contest have?