Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
All the hottest looks, try them on today!
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!

TNT Community Updates 10/10
  • Posted on October 11, 2018, 6:00 am NST

Late last night, TNT staff member hardtotame held the latest of her Q&A sessions on the Ideas/Suggestions neoboard. Here's a recap of what she said:

Items

As a reminder on the re-releasing of rarer stamps:

As promised, we'll look into what we can do about the re-release of rare stamps.

On giving clues to the undiscovered recipes at the Cooking Pot:

15 years, you say? I think a clue or two is overdue! Don't you? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

On updating the colour of the Red Teasqito to be less pink:

There weren't any plans to do so before you asked As long as it won't break anything in the system (I'll have to check), we can do this.

Games

On the idea of cumulative Cellblock high score lists:

I can add this to our backlog to take up and discuss when we get to it.

On the idea of bringing back Invasion of Meridell without rewards:

Yes, it was because of an exploit. That's an interesting suggestion, I can share it with the team.

On continued efforts to change flash games to html5:

We're already in the process of doing this. We may not get to every last one of them, but transitioning the games to HTML5 is on our priority list.

On which games will be converted to html5 first, and if unpopular games are likely to be left alone:

Most of the discussions around transitioning to HTML5 happened at the executive level, so I do not know whether this has been discussed.

On the idea of the Faerieland Employment Agency awarding trophies similar to books/gourmets:

good point

Avatars

On releasing the previously unreleased Godori avatar:

The Godori avatar looks fun! Why not?

On the idea of having retired avatars count differently in totals:

That sounds cool. We may not want to do it exactly as you've described, but the idea of having retired avatars count separately is a good one.

On re-releasing last year's Faerie Festival avatar, and then more generally releasing previously unreleased avatars:

No, that discussion has still not happened yet.
No, we do not plan to re-release it.
Yes, we're open to releasing avatars that were created but never released in the past.

On fixing the glitch with the Trudy avatar:

A programmer did briefly look into this, I will follow up with him.

Battledome

On the idea of changing/removing the Throw Pillows ability:

I understand your concern. We can keep this in mind when planning battle-related achievements in the future.

On Battledome fixes:

We all want the issues with the BD to be sorted as soon as possible, but we're struggling with the pressing issues the programmers are facing with the transition to HTML 5.

As for support, are you referring to tickets related to the BD, specifically? If yes, then the uncertainty of when we can do those fixes is probably why the tickets have gone unanswered for so long.

On the possibility of Punchbag Sid showing up soon:

Is this a trap?
I will have a better idea of the timeline of the BD fixes once we're able to identify a time slot for when we can schedule those tasks.

Contests

On allowing invisible pets to be entered into the customisation spotlight:

I can share this idea with the ones who are in charge of the customization spotlight, but I'm not really involved in the competitions, so it's not up to me.

On continuing theft of content in userlookup spotlight winners:

My apologies, I am not aware of this.I will certainly take this up with the team in charge of the userlookup spotlight.

I will have someone get in touch with you as a point of contact for Sunnyneo.

On the previously announced creative contest prize pool update, and winners still getting codestones and the like:

I am well, thank you.
That was actually supposed to be done, but apparently the update was only done to one of the contest prize pools. It has since been extended to the others as well.

Note: If you've won one of the 4 contests in the last week, you've probably been contacted by JN Staff to gather data about the new prize pool. Since this answer seemingly invalidates a lot of that collection, we'll be starting fresh again.

On finally awarding the special prizes to winners of milestone contests in the Poetry and Storytelling contests:

I will follow up with Jade about this.

General Fixes

On Neoboard updates such as post editing:

We all agree the neoboards needs a revamp, but it's not on our immediate plans, so we haven't discussed the details yet.

On fixing locations around the site that use broken images due to referencing old, pre-customisation poses for modern colours:

I really don't know how this works, but I can have someone check and see whether this is possible and how much effort is involved.

On plans to add more pet slots, and checking back on previous boards:

No, nothing in the immediate future.
Ah yes, I had to leave a lot sooner than I wanted that day. I did check back afterwards, but I'll spend some time going through the later responses.

On a request for a One Piece themed clothing set for Mynci Day:

I can share this with the art team, don't know what they'll say.

On Krawk Island getting a secret Training School:

That does sound fun, but it also sounds like a fair amount of work. I'll see what the others think.

As a reminder, hardtotame is next due on Thurday, 18th of October at 4am NST. This time she will be on the Help Chat.
suikin, 10/11/2018, 7:13 am NST
Im sorry for this comment but, not only this time, but other times that we had K/A too, i only see promises... I want to see this in action.. how much time we have to wait for these things go in live?

plushielynis, 10/11/2018, 7:18 am NST
I really do want to be optimistic, and I'm glad they're communicating with us - but it seems like they are giving up on some aspects of the site

Does anyone know what they're working on currently? Would love to see something to get my hopes up aha!

kyrette, 10/11/2018, 7:23 am NST
Aw, I thought we were going to get more pet slots in the near future, I'm a bit disappointed. Well, it makes sense, since they're working on transitioning the Flash features on the site to HTML5, and I'd rather they do that.

mudy, 10/11/2018, 9:03 am NST
I'm pretty sure with Flash being on death row for most operational systems their top priority is transitioning the site, specially the games to HTML5! Can't blame them for putting the rest into the backlog of things...

escrainus, 10/11/2018, 10:04 am NST
Why take/modify throw pillows? Is the only way some players can achieve some stuff, oh the elite doesn't like it? Sorry the site is pretty inactive, having stuff impossible to earn in events/plot is ridiculous, people still need to train their pets at some level to use the pillows effectively.

About pet slots, disappointed, they previously said they were looking at that, now this.

herdy - JN Staff, 10/11/2018, 10:11 am NST
Until HP increase is implemented, Throw Pillows allows any user to beat any opponent without buying a single weapon or training any stat (aside from level, to unlock the ability).

It removes any element of challenge from anything they add to the Battledome currently.

That said, the long term solution is HP increase. Once that's implemented, there's a level of difficulty in top tier 1 player BDing that is time based. And Throw Pillows wouldn't help with that.

biediep, 10/11/2018, 11:07 am NST
I would love the re-release of rare old stamps as much as the next person, but can we please FINALLY get the Skarl Charm to work first?! Why is this such rocket science?!

I'd love for Invasion of Meridell to return though, I missed out on that avatar and we have a serious giant lack of Moehog avatars.

1jediboy, 10/11/2018, 11:41 am NST
I posted for the first time ever on the boards for Hardtotame to see my colour idea and she never said anything.

escrainus, 10/11/2018, 12:38 pm NST

@herdy I disagree, unless the event is eternal (wraith resurgence), the player must have some level of power and weapons, it turns into commitment from the player to go daily to beat the opponent.

Also in the end the players can just borrow BD pets, so there it goes the challenge.

anomally, 10/11/2018, 1:57 pm NST
From what I've heard about Flash, they are discontinuing updates come 2020 so websites that use it really need to switch over if at all possible. It's good that they are switching it over.

cat, 10/11/2018, 3:00 pm NST
Their highest priority seems to be dealing with Flash features. I'm fine with that, I hope when they make a new customization engine they fix the issue of it crashing when you have too many items. I could put everything back in my closet.

I'd love to see Invasion of Meridel return with no rewards.

nightshadeswiftswing, 10/11/2018, 3:17 pm NST
I like the idea of retired avatars not counting towards the high score table. Evens the playing field.

endrave, 10/11/2018, 3:43 pm NST

1jediboy, 10/11/2018, 3:52 pm NST
I agree on the retired avatars not counting thing... and the no rewards on Invasion of Merdell.

I'm hoping all the shockwave games we ALREADY can't play will get converted!

Deadly Dice, Attack of the Slorgs, The Last Blast*, Shenkuu River Rush*, Terror Mountain Tilt*... FRUMBALL!!!

*never got to play these marked games EVER!

josie, 10/11/2018, 6:45 pm NST
@escrainus - I agree with you. Without the throw pillows I would've never been able to beat Kaia or Malum during the plot on the hard level, and I still used weapons every day for about a week, until I finally had each of them beaten.

I really hope they won't remove this feature. I train my pet every day, but it takes a long time until a pet is ready to reach certain stats.

anomally, 10/11/2018, 6:59 pm NST
@1jediboy - shoot I just want to be able to read Meridell's plot again. You can't even read that comic anymore.

twilson1118, 10/11/2018, 7:14 pm NST
is this newsworthy? https://www.sramanamitra.com/2018/02/20/thought-leaders-in-online-gaming-jumpstart-games-ceo-david-lord-part-1/

escrainus, 10/11/2018, 9:27 pm NST
@josie: but hey if complains can make the skill nerfed, complains can bring it back in case it happens. I belive that if BDomers want challenges they can get their own share of challenges without forcing everyone that wants to enjoy an event to play their rules "just because they canĀ“t get what I get", if the event was laveled like "welcome only elite of the elite" ok, is fair, otherwise is dumb.

dr_tomoe, 10/11/2018, 11:17 pm NST
Weren't a lot of those battledome questions asked last time?

What do they possible think could be changed in a week?

katina_choovanski, 10/11/2018, 11:41 pm NST
@ endrave--totally agree...again, not impressed. Such a small request as 'fix the wigs so they fit ALL pets right' gets ignored. What do ya expect? I thing the Q/A sessions is all for show-nothing ever gets revealed or said with certainty-almost nothing anyway.

wishgranter, 10/12/2018, 1:14 am NST
Yes! Someone managed to sneak in a cooking pot question! D

mistyqee, 10/12/2018, 1:51 am NST
"On a request for a One Piece themed clothing set for Mynci Day:"

I know who asked this without needing to check

spabl, 10/12/2018, 2:03 am NST
All I read is: "false promises, I will check, we'll see, I'll talk with the programmer, etc etc" there is nothing certain, this is the last time I read a post about what hardtotame said on the neoboards, totally helpless----ThiS!!

arias, 10/12/2018, 2:50 am NST
Glad the priority is THML5 and not all the fluffy stuff to be honest. That stuff can be added/changed once the site is converted.

arias, 10/12/2018, 2:50 am NST
HTML*

mamsmelk_jr, 10/12/2018, 12:38 pm NST
To all the people complaining, HTML5 is a priority now, of course stuff is put on the backlog for the time being. If you can't understand that maybe you should try to program a website similar to this yourself. Then you get to complain. Anyway, I really like the fact they keep us in the loop, and things have improved/ been fixed around the site, just not the big things (which again: HTML5).

mamsmelk_jr, 10/12/2018, 12:44 pm NST
Oh another thing. I really hope they don't remove the throw pillow method, it was the only way I could beat Kaia & Malum and as for the no weapons, no skill necessary: I still needed weapons, and I had to start over twice because Kaia killed me with something the pillows did not stop. I also had to make sure I played every day to make sure I beat them in time. Training your pet (which I do) is time consuming and expensive.

sixtygirl, 10/12/2018, 7:53 pm NST
what is html5?

1jediboy, 10/12/2018, 8:49 pm NST
^A type of coding. They currently use "flash" which is a type of coding that will stop being supported soon. THAT'S why they need to convert to HTML5.

contessa, 10/12/2018, 10:02 pm NST
It is back up now

sixtygirl, 10/15/2018, 10:45 am NST
will i still be able to play neo on my laptop? or will i need to buy an ipad?

dave - JN Staff, 10/15/2018, 12:07 pm NST
If Neopets doesn't fully convert their Flash assets by the end of 2020, the following will go away:

- World Maps
- Flash games
- Customisation

So the fact that they keep mentioning they're working on HTML5 conversion is pretty good in my book!

dukula, 10/16/2018, 8:37 pm NST
I agree with Herdy about the Battledome/Throw Pillows situation.

Personally I don't think the BD events should be easy and the Throw Pillows tactic just seems broken.

BDers spend a long time and a lot of NPs training their pets, yet there is very little for them to do on the site. On the very, very rare occasion that there is a BD event, it should come down to how well you've trained your pet(s).

Everyone has the opportunity to take part in these events if they train their pets in advance. If you don't want to train them, why do you want to take part in a BD event?