Earn NP from playing games!
Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!

TNT Community Updates, 7/20
  • Posted on July 20, 2018, 10:57 pm NST

Since there was a mixup with the posted times for this week's Q&A, hardtotame was on the boards again from 9:30 PM - 10:30 PM NST this past evening.

Here are the highlights:

Prize Pools
Regarding updating the creative contest (Art Gallery, Caption Contest, etc.) prize pool:

I'll have a word with the person in charge of the prizes, and see what we can come up with.

Regarding updating prize pools (such as dailies) with items that were previously expensive/had worth:

These days, when we update prize pools with a specific list, we try to make sure all existing items chosen are selling for 1000 NP or less. If there are dailies that choose from any r90 item available, I will change that.

"In Progress" Page
Regarding TNT maintaining an in progress page for issues they're working on:

sounds great, but I'm not sure that's the best idea. Many times there are issues that a programmer begins looking into, but because of some reason or the other (turns out to be too complicated/another high priority issue comes up/it takes too long and is put off until a later time..) it is kept aside.

So a list like that may not really reflect what is happening in office. Either way, I'll talk to the others and see if they think differently.

Battledome
Regarding the return of Defenders of Neopia:

DoN - not until the BD is fixed

Regarding the return of old plot challengers:

Right now, our top priorities are those items that came out at the top from the survey. We haven't thought about the BD beyond those items for now. Among them, we have updating the BD prize pool, FYI.

Account Purges
Regarding whether there will be another one:

Account purge - Scrappy should have some info about this. I've checked with her, and I'll give you an update when I get one.

Regarding making sure that people who have been locked out of their accounts are able to get back in before a purge:

That's a good point. I'll ask Scrappy to give fair warning and perhaps dedicate resources to addressing these issues before we do a purge.

Stamps
Regarding the release of new stamps/album items:

Yes, we will be adding stamps to albums taht aren't complete.

And the King Skarl Charm:

King Skarl does have new prizes he wants to give those who make him laugh (the charm being one of them) but he's waiting for a special celebration in his land later this month.

Almost Abandoned Attic
Regarding its return, and what kind of items it will restock:

We'll take a look at the backend when we're bringing it back and see if it needs any changes. I don't foresee any changes happening to the type of items it restocks - only in the way it works.

TNT Office/Team Locations
Regarding where TNT is located:

The Art team, the QA team, much of the programming team, half the content team and one of the producers work out of Bangalore. The Community/social media team, our senior programmer binary_supagoo, and our other producer, Scrappy - work from the California office. NC Mall releases, site competitions, the news and social media updates happen there. That's for Neopets.com.

Neopets: Legends and Letters has its own team that is divided between the two offices, but we share art resources. The Neopets MMO [JN Note: probably meaning the "Neopets World Builder" app announced at Comic-Con, not a traditional MMO] is being developed by another team altogether, working in Vancouver.

Note: For more information on the second Neopets app in production, see our Comic-Con writeup.

Games
Regarding the updating of existing games from Flash:

We have already begun the process of getting the games remade in html5, starting with the most popular ones. I don't know if we will get all 200 done the same way - I guess it depends on how it goes with the first few we're doing now.

Old Pet Colours
Regarding updating older pet paint brush options:

I'll ask the artists to keep this in mind for future PBs, but redoing old PBs is not something we want to get into.
novelista, 07/21/2018, 9:25 am NST
Good thing I don't participate in the creative contests--to me, 1k stuff is pretty much junk.

dustin, 07/21/2018, 10:53 am NST
Was Neopets always outsourced or did they split offices when JumpStart took over? I know the OG team worked from California.

ziporen, 07/21/2018, 2:12 pm NST
@novelista: The 1k comment was regarding the daily pools, not the contest pool. (At least, I hope it was.)

scarlet189, 07/21/2018, 2:48 pm NST
It's good to hear a lot of responses, and all involved have a lot to do. I like the fact they are already beginning to work on converting games, I hope things go well with them moving forward.

kreyrie, 07/21/2018, 3:03 pm NST
I'm kind of excited for account purges, as the number of "good names" trapped on long since dead accounts has started to become ridiculous. I also like that they're giving unfairly frozen accounts time to get back into it before a purge. Also I hope they don't lower the value of contest prizes, and I kinda like the high value of most daily prizes. But dropping it to 1k and below? I guess they could make nice Charity drive items, I hope.

inkpot, 07/21/2018, 4:24 pm NST
we *need* a purge. we are long overdue... it is hard to even create decent misspells or decent creative names in general without having to go with crazy phonetic spelling.

dave - JN Staff, 07/21/2018, 5:28 pm NST
@ziporen: Yes, that was referring to dailies. I've updated the post to clarify that point.

tomatereloco, 07/21/2018, 8:46 pm NST
What happened with the coming soon page of Jellyneo?

ummy - JN Staff, 07/21/2018, 10:05 pm NST
@dustin- Most employees were California based before the acquisition. JS outsources a lot of work so eventually Neopets got outsourced as well. But even the old TNT outsourced projects like Treasure Keepers, Habi, and KQ to other companies.

dave - JN Staff, 07/21/2018, 11:37 pm NST
@tomatereloco: We never updated it, so I removed it.

recklesse, 07/22/2018, 6:08 am NST
The information about team locations is certainly interesting. Ticket support was notably absent from the list. I wonder if that means they are a 3rd party contracted by Neopets.

There is an advert on JS's website for a customer support specialist based in Bangaluru; but that might well be related to their other games, not Neopets.

Similarly the Gardena office is looking for a customer acquisition manager. Again, that may not be directly relevant to Neopets.

dustin, 07/22/2018, 11:56 am NST
@ummy- Gotcha! Nothing wrong with outsourcing to the right teams, was just very curious.

equinewhispers, 07/22/2018, 12:23 pm NST
There's no mention of DJ Skellington at the California office? He was in the AC Staff Tournament this year but his Neopets account doesn't say he's a staff member anymore (although I don't know how recently that's changed) and he hasn't logged on in 92 days. I thought they kept him on despite the lay-offs because he knew the spaghetti code that makes up Neopets. Anyone know if Binary_Supagoo been Head Programmer for ages or has he taken over from DJ Skellington? I always thought DJ Skellington was a programmer but I can't actually find confirmation of that anywhere - I hoped someone at JN might know!

dave - JN Staff, 07/22/2018, 2:29 pm NST
@recklesse: I think most of their support team just works from home. From the Viacom days, whenever you saw a job listing for a Neopets support rep, it was always listed as a work from home position. I believe that policy has been continued under JS.

dave - JN Staff, 07/22/2018, 2:29 pm NST
@equinewhispers: DJ Skellington worked in support as far as we know, not engineering.

equinewhispers, 07/22/2018, 3:11 pm NST
@dave Ah thank you - I knew I could rely on JN for the answer!

zmicheleh, 07/22/2018, 4:49 pm NST
Yeah Vandagyre avi, you never know whos listening to ya

ummy - JN Staff, 07/22/2018, 6:01 pm NST
I think DJ was head moderator

1jediboy, 07/22/2018, 6:24 pm NST
I want to shake his (DJ Skellington) hand and thank him for staying.

1jediboy, 07/22/2018, 7:14 pm NST