Vonroo alert!

A searchable database of Neopets images
Help us model your pets!
All the hottest looks, try them on today!

Birthday Alert:
For today only, visit New Features for the Happy Birthday! avatar. [Close Alerts]
The Altador Cup Begins
  • Posted on June 4, 2018, 9:50 am NST

Today, June 4th, is the first day of Altador Cup XIII!

As is usual, today you can begin playing Yooyuball, Slushie Slinger, Make Some Noise, and Shootout Showdown to receive credit towards the final prize shop.

There don't appear to be any major changes in this year's tournament structure so far, including in the minimum scores required or max games per day allowed. All-Star has, however, become slightly easier to obtain. (Only 8,800 games of Shootout Showdown instead of 10,000!)

Legends of Altador, this year's NC component, is also live today and running through June 28th.

Check back on June 8th for more information about the TNT Staff Tournament side event.

Avatars
New this year are team-themed avatars! You'll receive your respective team avatar after reaching Rank 1. (i.e. Team Virtupets players get the Virtupets avatar only)

These avatars will be temporary, as per the FAQ:
I just got an Altador Cup team avatar! Will this add to my permanent avatar count?

No, these team avatars are just so you can show your support for your team on the Neoboards. They will disappear at the end of the tournament.

To the Colosseum »
gordy_777, 06/4/2018, 9:54 am NST
I don't have it right now, but that's presumably just because I've played a single game of Yooyuball.

I assume it's for when you rank to a certain level when playing for your team.

mamsmelk_jr, 06/4/2018, 9:54 am NST
People on the Shenkuu boards said they got it when they reached rank 1. Can't tell you when I got it myself because I missed the notification

mamsmelk_jr, 06/4/2018, 9:55 am NST
But I'm only rank 1 myself, so that sounds about right.

unvile, 06/4/2018, 10:20 am NST
I got Krawk Island at Rank 1.

Also the scores needed to rank are lower. Just reached Rank 1 with 223 SOSD instead of 250 (Per JN/SN rank calculator)

lillian94, 06/4/2018, 10:45 am NST
I got Shenkuu at Rank 1.

inusfan, 06/4/2018, 10:47 am NST
Hopefully if they have them again next year picking a different team and getting its avatar will remove the previous one, lest people team hop each year just to get a new avatar which would be kind of lame.

targoefista, 06/4/2018, 10:49 am NST
So are the Altador and fearieland avatars the only non-animated ones? Also, wondering how this is going to work for collectors. They should have it so you can only hold one avatar at a time, so if you switch teams you lose one and gain the other. Otherwise it becomes unfair for loyalists who don’t want to switch teams every year.

1jediboy, 06/4/2018, 10:52 am NST
It begins... *puts on coloured war-paint* *plays vuvuzela*

will - JN Staff, 06/4/2018, 10:54 am NST
@targoefista AL and FL are animated, they just don't loop properly.

As for the requirements... it's safe to say it's NOT just awarded at rank 1. Plenty of people (myself included) are well past rank 1 and haven't gotten one.

1jediboy, 06/4/2018, 10:56 am NST
Also, a little strategy of mine, listen to something on another tab while you play. It will cut the strain of having to play some games over and over. I'm gonna be listening to Steven Universe theory videos and Parry Gripp songs!

crazybeans, 06/4/2018, 11:05 am NST
I'm on rank 2 now and got the avatar R.E when I visited the news page. I don't know what the requirements may have been but I wanted to continue playing YYB after dinner through the link on the news page and poof there it appeared.

1jediboy, 06/4/2018, 11:17 am NST
Whew! Those 100 SOSD plays flew by while I was listening to songs about breakfast burritos, vegetables, a pancake robot, and a young girl talking about herself.

ctp02, 06/4/2018, 11:34 am NST
The Daily Limits chance this year?
Because this year is more easy to get all start than last year.

rodgerflint, 06/4/2018, 11:39 am NST
Looks like 8.8k points to All-Star this year. TNT must have actually remembered last year when practice games didn't count for ranks and how people couldn't get All-Star by just playing SOSD or MSN to the max every day

jcdiva7, 06/4/2018, 12:39 pm NST
I got mine when I logged in but I had finished getting to rank 1 before I went to bed and logged out...so I am thinking it is rank 1 is the requirement

gordy_777, 06/4/2018, 12:40 pm NST
Well, I guess it'll be nice when I keep listening to progressive rock as I rank up. Maybe I'll even get to Rank... uh, 5. That's impressive, right?

Also, they should probably fix the non-looping avatars, but also the ones for Brightvale (as it's much smoother than the others) and Virtupets (which is too fast).

degenius, 06/4/2018, 12:43 pm NST
I only have 19 yooyuball wins and I got the avatar.

felicity1169, 06/4/2018, 12:45 pm NST
hmm those new avatars look awfully familiar...

(I remember a board thread about turning some of the old aim icons into avatars, it looks like jstnt listened)

degenius, 06/4/2018, 12:46 pm NST
Oh 20 wins gives me rank 1, probably from that then

ducky - JN Staff, 06/4/2018, 12:50 pm NST
I got avatr once I reached rk 1 (did it after those were released)

@jediboi - I just put Friends on Netflix. It's 13 seasons and easy enough to watch and follow while playing AC thingies

yekith, 06/4/2018, 12:59 pm NST
I think they just started giving the avie at a certain hour. Maybe alphabetically, maybe randomly. I went to sleep 9 hours ago having reached level 3 and I hadn't gotten it. Now I opened the site (didn't even go to the AC page) and got it automatically!

1jediboy, 06/4/2018, 1:00 pm NST
@rubberducki - But your eyes aren't on the screen! U must be a good multi-tasker!

yekith, 06/4/2018, 1:06 pm NST
In my case instead of watching YT videos like I do most late nights, I found stuff I can just listen to. Yyb goes by faster when my mind is anywhere but there. xD

rosi, 06/4/2018, 1:20 pm NST
Welcome to the Land of Lag

.... and I've hardly logged in

1jediboy, 06/4/2018, 1:27 pm NST
Oh glob!!! Somebody listen to this song while playing MSN!1!

It looks like he's screaming about nachos!!!

ducky - JN Staff, 06/4/2018, 1:27 pm NST
Yeah lag got annoying

@jediboi Well if playing just for the wins, it's 7 goals and then 2mins waiting And yeah doesn't take much. And Friends is easy to follow. If not watching anything, then I do listen music from YT as well. Eurovision was my selection today when I played some

yekith, 06/4/2018, 1:28 pm NST
MSM is usually the game that sends score the quickest and right now it's taking it several seconds...

starleogirl09, 06/4/2018, 1:32 pm NST
Got the Darigan avatar after reaching Rank 1 and refreshing the AC Hub page.

anomally, 06/4/2018, 1:34 pm NST
I feel like they could have done better on the backgrounds. Like why is Meridell's just plain yellow, but Mystery Island is blended? Some of them seem a bit lazy background-wise.

yekith, 06/4/2018, 1:36 pm NST
Oh I hadn't realized that about the backgrounds. True. I got lucky with HW's!

rosi, 06/4/2018, 1:43 pm NST
@anomally: oh it's true! There isn't consistency. I think the worst looking background is Moltara's while Darigan's is the prettiest.
Those players who haven't yet joined a team are lucky, because they can choose according to the avatar they like best.

yekith, 06/4/2018, 1:46 pm NST
I don't find Moltara that bad cause at least the BG is black. MD on the other hand...ugh so plain, so bright! My eyes.

1jediboy, 06/4/2018, 1:49 pm NST
I chose MD! #fightinwords

1jediboy, 06/4/2018, 1:49 pm NST
(he said trying to be funny and is not actually mad.)

jellybecca, 06/4/2018, 1:51 pm NST
Interesting note: the new avatars are actually the exact same as the AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) Buddy Icons.

yekith, 06/4/2018, 1:51 pm NST
Well just in case, I'm only criticizing the BGs they chose for avies, not team colors (or I'd mention a different team)! xD

yekith, 06/4/2018, 1:53 pm NST
@jellybecca Ahh true! I never paid attention to those, or at least not the rest of teams'. Well, then we can't blame JS for the BGs...but we can for being lazy I guess. xD

ryansgirl, 06/4/2018, 2:00 pm NST
I got mine right after I reached Rank 1!

mhurley, 06/4/2018, 2:22 pm NST
Something Has Happened!
You are now eligible to use 'Altador 2018 - Lost Desert avatar' as an avatar on the NeoBoards!

dave - JN Staff, 06/4/2018, 2:34 pm NST
There are definitely a number of other old AIM icons that they could resurrect for avatars :o

After they finish adding stamp avatars for all the other pages of course.

1jediboy, 06/4/2018, 3:05 pm NST
Sassy Dave! How've you been? I haven't heard from you since that stamp avatar post!

inkpot, 06/4/2018, 3:13 pm NST
the ONE year i accidentally joined the wrong team... TAT ahhhhhh. not only is my loyalty to SK down the drain but now i've gotta wait a whole new year to get that avvie. ;A;

purplebin, 06/4/2018, 3:19 pm NST
I hope I'm reading the schedule correctly.
"the third practice break of 2 days will be at the end of Round 1", even though it also says there will be 3 practice days in total. But with the third break lasting two days that extends the last day to 26 days, rather than the 25 days last year, so that works out. Practice days on the 10th, 17th, and 20-21st of June, right?
One of those is my birthday, and my family will be visiting that week, so I hope I have it correct. I'm going to be missing enough playing time as it is.

beyondelsewhere, 06/4/2018, 3:42 pm NST
#TeamSassyDave

cloonshannagh, 06/4/2018, 4:04 pm NST
Something Has Happened!
You are now eligible to use 'Altador 2018 - Meridell avatar' as an avatar on the NeoBoards!

The kiddies made me do it. *Ethel, Ethel is our girl. Right and left the Youyoos whirl.* (Now to ice my paw.) BTW, played Wolftones for background. *lol*

xfer, 06/4/2018, 4:07 pm NST
How come this thing keeps going?? It's awful to play countless times the same game, that is not even fun. I no longer play it, the prizes are always awful as well. But knock yourselves out!

1jediboy, 06/4/2018, 4:38 pm NST
OMAGLOB!!! "Wizard" Windelle IS SUCH A BALLHOG!!!!
HE WONT LET ELSA HAVE THE FRONT POSITION!!!

zay_korbat, 06/4/2018, 4:42 pm NST
I hope they fix the faerieland avatar!

josie, 06/4/2018, 4:45 pm NST
I got mine after reaching Rank 1 and playing 250 games of SOSD.

lazybutt, 06/4/2018, 4:53 pm NST
I haven't played AC for a few years now and thought I'd give it a chance this year. Anyone know how to make the games load in Firefox? I just see a grey box... any help appreciated!

yekith, 06/4/2018, 5:10 pm NST
If you have Flash installed the grey box should have a link to activate it. If not, then you need to download Flash for Firefox (it doesn't have it integrated like Chrome) from the Adobe flash site.

sketch, 06/4/2018, 5:48 pm NST
Ooh those avatars might actually make me consider playing to rank 1 instead of only participation this year

alli_draggy, 06/4/2018, 6:14 pm NST
Hmm...I love Hissies enough that next year I might join Darigan so I can get an avvie to match my UC Darigan Hissi, even though I'm Faerieland for life...

nightshadeswiftswing, 06/4/2018, 6:18 pm NST
Thank goodness the requirements are fairly low (provided you play YYB). I just can't get into playing these games hundreds of times.

1jediboy, 06/4/2018, 6:50 pm NST
Question: Are you allowed to play two AC games at the same time? I assume not.

1jediboy, 06/4/2018, 6:52 pm NST
If we ARE allowed, there are big time gaps in between Slushie Slinger big enough to play another game inbetween.

cat, 06/4/2018, 7:00 pm NST
They finally gave us avatars! Sweet!

rosi, 06/4/2018, 7:01 pm NST
@1jediboy: doing this caused trouble* in the past so I advise you not to do it .

*(we know what this means)

@sketch: as soon as I saw these I thought the avatars were released to reduce the number of 'freeloaders'

nightshadeswiftswing, 06/4/2018, 7:10 pm NST
@rosi: Well, get rid of freeloaders for the first day at least. A lot of folks will probably get the avvie and then not play again for the rest of the event.

1jediboy, 06/4/2018, 7:16 pm NST
@rosi - Gotcha! No go on the two games at once.

rosi, 06/4/2018, 7:29 pm NST
@nightshadeswiftswing : ah ah you're right! Well, reduce some of them, not get rid :p ok, let's just say they'll miss out on the all-star trophy then

@1jediboy: Not that I've ever been frozen, or even warned, but I heard people were frozen for loading two Altador games at once so...

kakorie - JN Staff, 06/4/2018, 7:39 pm NST

melinda_kacheek, 06/4/2018, 7:55 pm NST
I don't play Yooyuball and I got the avatar...

nightshadeswiftswing, 06/4/2018, 8:00 pm NST
@kakorie: I'm with you. I've been with DC since the first cup, not planning on changing.

Would be cool if they make it an avatar that you can only get one of, but it can change each year. So you can't have all teams, but if you want another team, you play for that team the next year and it overrides your previous one

1jediboy, 06/4/2018, 8:28 pm NST
I'm one of those people who chose a new team every year! I'M NOT GOING THROUGH THAT WHOLE THING ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

androidturret, 06/4/2018, 10:30 pm NST
I got my avatar after hitting rank 1 and looking at the home page

1jediboy, 06/4/2018, 10:51 pm NST
DONE! *collapses to floor*

Omaglob... this is gonna be a long... long... long month! TAT

But on the bright side, I climbed six ranks in one day! Woo! I think that's a new best for me! Six ra... *faints*

matjamhar, 06/4/2018, 11:32 pm NST
As the above posters touched upon, I hope too you can only have one of the above avatars at a time. Mostly because I'm selfish and I will never change from DC

cat, 06/4/2018, 11:39 pm NST
I got my avatar after hitting Rank 1 and refreshing the game I was playing.

cat, 06/4/2018, 11:41 pm NST
"I am going to die if I have to choose another team besides DC next year just for the sake of avater collecting."

Well the avatars do say "2018" on them, it might be that we'll see a different set of team avatars every year, meaning that you will only ever be able to achieve one of each set of avatars.

spabl, 06/5/2018, 1:30 am NST
Rank 2, no avvie.

dukula, 06/5/2018, 4:04 am NST
I hope we can choose a different team next year and keep all the avvies, I couldn't care less about team loyalty since I don't play AC any more (got All Star once and it was a huge waste of time), at least the boring games will be made worth while with the avvies

pigzpony, 06/5/2018, 9:57 am NST
I just received my Faerieland avatar!

jennxisxrad, 06/5/2018, 11:29 am NST
I got my Team Shenkuu when I reached Rank 1.

1jediboy, 06/5/2018, 11:41 am NST
So how many days are there in this tournament again? I estimated 21. Am I right?

purplebin, 06/5/2018, 1:15 pm NST
I count 22 days of actual tournament play. 26 days long, with 4 days of practice play.

1jediboy, 06/5/2018, 1:17 pm NST
@purplebin - It's so confusing, isn't it? X(

purplebin, 06/5/2018, 1:38 pm NST
There are some pages that still have the old information, too.

mavegibson, 06/5/2018, 2:24 pm NST
It's pretty obvious this avatar is awarded when you get to rank 1. It was awarded the second I hit rank 1, and I know others have had the same experience.

sayalvian, 06/5/2018, 3:12 pm NST
I got the avatar (Darigan) right when I hit rank 1.

bodhi, 06/5/2018, 4:57 pm NST
Just hit Level 1 with 27 SS, 30 MSN and 30 SOSD

yekith, 06/5/2018, 5:10 pm NST
The confusion is because they evidently activated the avie late. Some of us who reached level 1 not far from midnight and then continued didn't have it even at level 3 or more. Then we started getting it randomly at any time, just by going to the site. But I guess that catching up had skipped some.

josie, 06/5/2018, 5:44 pm NST
It's too bad that we'll lose the avatar once the cup is over.

On the other hand, I see quite a few fellow team mates here. Go Meridell!

dustin, 06/5/2018, 6:16 pm NST
Temporary?? Why? That's rather pointless don't you think? Only reason I got to Rank 1 was because I thought it counted I usually don't care for the AC ranks lol.

cloonshannagh, 06/5/2018, 6:34 pm NST
Not a TEMPORARY avatar!! I want to keep it. (Even if others are prettier!)

rosi, 06/5/2018, 6:52 pm NST
@Josie : where did you read the avatar is temporary?

1jediboy, 06/5/2018, 7:33 pm NST
@josie - *high-five*

1jediboy, 06/5/2018, 7:36 pm NST
Wait, what?!

rosi, 06/5/2018, 8:07 pm NST
ooops... nevermind I didn't notice the news update - sorry

1jediboy, 06/5/2018, 8:11 pm NST
You know, that kind of explains their lack of detail. They're not permanent.

spabl, 06/5/2018, 9:55 pm NST
Temporary??? Well, no need to continue playing and trying to get it!

shakespeareofborg, 06/6/2018, 4:47 am NST
I hope one of the prizes at the end is to keep your team avatar permanently!

dukula, 06/6/2018, 11:26 am NST
A temporary avatar is one of the dumbest ideas TNT have ever had! Especially since we had to play the boring AC to get it...
TNT need to sort themselves out.

seven_dead_owls, 06/7/2018, 2:53 pm NST
I'm glad it's temporary!
It would take 18 years to get them all and people loyal to a team would be punished for it because they'd miss out on all the others (and avie collector unless they didn't increase your count)
It's to show support of the team you picked and just joining doesn't get that team any closer to the cup, if you don't like the games or the AC you don't have to play for the team avie since it won't stick around anyway.
They should have announced it earlier though so people wouldn't be upset about having played if they didn't want to thinking it was permanent.

lunas, 06/8/2018, 6:58 am NST
Uhm how do these ranks work?