Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!
Look sophisticated while chatting on the Neoboards
All the hottest looks, try them on today!

Plot Update
  • Posted on March 19, 2018, 9:38 am NST

New dialogue has gone live at the Wraith Resurgence HQ! It seems Kaia and Malum are both missing! (Malum is currently still in the Infirmary, but we assume that's a glitch).

In addition, two new achievements have appeared under the battling tab for beating a 'boss'.

Although there's nothing new in the Infirmary currently, there is new dialogue that's meant to be there in the Story So Far page - which links to a page with a note from Malum:

You can currently guess in a text box below what it means. The correct answer is 'She is at the Forgotten Graveyard'.

At the Forgotten Graveyard, click the object near the bottom of the screen to find Malum's sword and unlock Kaia as a Battledome challenger. Defeating her once will unlock the first achievement, and a victory on the hard difficulty unlocks the second.

Kaia will reveal her true nature when defeated, briefly turning into the Darkest Faerie. Coinciding with this update, the statue of the Darkest Faerie has disappeared from old Maraqua.

» View Our Step-by-Step Guide «
dustin, 03/19/2018, 9:55 am NST
Well, we all knew she was the bad guy, but I personally wasn't expecting TDF!
Now let's see how long it takes for HER status bar to go down...

psychopath, 03/19/2018, 10:12 am NST
Going to have to wait to get to the Forgotten Graveyard until I'm on my laptop.

psychopath, 03/19/2018, 10:14 am NST
I wonder if I don't get a link because I didn't do the last two steps of Fiendish Formations.

purplebin, 03/19/2018, 10:16 am NST
I cannot get to the Forgotten Graveyard with any browser, even when people post the link because it sends me back to the plot page. I know I've done all the steps before, and read the new dialog and went to the infirmary... I never found the note, either, though.

mavegibson, 03/19/2018, 10:18 am NST
You need to do the note first.

psychopath, 03/19/2018, 10:18 am NST
You have to click on the plot dialogue at this point from Story So Far.

I thought it was just me unable to get there.

beyondelsewhere, 03/19/2018, 10:29 am NST
Malum is gone from the infirmary for me.

purplebin, 03/19/2018, 10:33 am NST
Okay, I never got the note, thanks for the link! I guess there is just one Orange Coffer? And it's not working yet.

43456, 03/19/2018, 10:35 am NST
Are we allowed to use the Throw Pillows method on Kaia?

maxgarou, 03/19/2018, 10:35 am NST
I really wanted that sword
I don't know if the stats are the same as the day they released the Malum plot step, but still is cool to own it.
Now, my BD pet isn't strong enough to beat her on hard mode. So I guess no Petpet for me

maxgarou, 03/19/2018, 10:36 am NST
I correct myself. Got the petpet. I thought it would be the reward for beating Kaia on hard.

mavegibson, 03/19/2018, 10:38 am NST
The petpet is for defeating her on any mode.

purplebin, 03/19/2018, 10:38 am NST
So just one battle on Hard and we're done?

beyondelsewhere, 03/19/2018, 10:44 am NST
I suppose one battle on hard isn't as easy for some as others. I have never been more thankful that I started taking training my pet more seriously in the past few years This is the first time I have been able to claim ANY of the good battle-related prizes.

demento_recraves, 03/19/2018, 11:15 am NST
Wow, an opponent that takes TWO hits to beat instead of one!

1jediboy, 03/19/2018, 11:21 am NST
*GASP* WHERE'S KAIA?!?!?!?!

maxgarou, 03/19/2018, 11:32 am NST
What do you think will happen now?
I mean, must of us suspected Kaia was the real enemy. And now TDF comes back. This isn't the end of the plot.
The Festival of neggs is close and Charity Corner dealing with the devastation caused by the Wraiths, I think and hope something big will happen.

1jediboy, 03/19/2018, 11:35 am NST
*deciphers note* QUICK! SOMEBODY TELL ME THE WAY TO THE FORGOTTEN GRAVEYARD!!!!

sakeru187, 03/19/2018, 11:37 am NST
^
Ditto! I am SO EXCITED to see TDF! I am so curious on how she became free :o And how Malum is involved.

sakeru187, 03/19/2018, 11:41 am NST
Omg I hope we can get another new theme with TDF and Malum included with the characters at the bottom right xD Not likely but still.

dolchay, 03/19/2018, 11:41 am NST
im still curious about the acheiv for clearing all site areas...

1jediboy, 03/19/2018, 11:42 am NST
*somebody points me the way* Thank you!
*journeys to Neovia*
*gets to graveyard*

... *gets longing look knowing I've been here before and it brings back deep emotional memories*

... *deep breath* *pushes gate open and walks in*

sophie_wolf, 03/19/2018, 11:46 am NST
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaggg

1jediboy, 03/19/2018, 11:47 am NST
...Wh....WHAT?!?! *picks up Malum's sword* *looks around*

Kaia: Well, well! Look who is here.

Me: ...You.

Kaia: Did you really not see this coming?

Me: No... I saw it coming... I saw it coming a mile away! *gets into defensive stance*

thatgirlmarie, 03/19/2018, 11:51 am NST
the lag with this is ABSURD

1jediboy, 03/19/2018, 11:51 am NST
Kaia: Any last wishes?

Big___shot: For you to submit! *strikes one hit K.O. blow*

*Kaia turns into darkest faerie*

Me: WHAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

(No, I did not follow the step-by-step guide and this was my genuine reaction!)

pikachu315111, 03/19/2018, 11:57 am NST
Well, didn't see this coming! O_O

Though after the initial twist... I'm going to have to ask JS to explain it. Because it feels like they tried to pull the "Xandra" twist without building it up.

With Xandra, TNT left hints throughout the plot: mainly Xandra originally had the mirror, when lost in Nox's castle she wasn't with any of the groups, and finally when she tried getting Hanso to join her side. We also didn't know anything about her, and even if we did it would still have made sense (I doubt she was show her animosity toward the Faeries while being taught by them).

But with Kaia, they gave us a Neopedia on her backstory. And it's in third person so it wasn't being told to us by Kaia or Fyora. Also, though they never stated how long, it's implied she's been in Shenkuu for a long time (otherwise they were using deceptive wording, and not in a good way).

So, I have two theories: Either TDF kidnapped and replaced the real Kai

pikachu315111, 03/19/2018, 11:57 am NST
So, I have two theories: Either TDF kidnapped and replaced the real Kaia (possibly when she ran into the Wild Woods, Fyora may have been able to resist but certainly not Kaia) or JS did try pulling a "Xandra" twist but not understanding why it was so effective.

octobermoth, 03/19/2018, 12:03 pm NST
Does Kaia have any interesting item drops? I already did my battles for today to try and get codestones, so of course she isn't dropping anything for me.

maxgarou, 03/19/2018, 12:04 pm NST
^
Somehow I think Malum is just another victim in all of this.
***
I can't make anything out of all that's happened.
When they introduced Malum (as a hooded figure), there were six or seven other hooded pets. What happened to those? They can't be the wraiths we fought at the BD because at least two of those (Skeith and Shoryu) we saw them as pets before being transformed (I don't feel like the Meerca and Jetsam are part of them either)
I think there's a real Kaia, but she's trapped somewhere.
This could be a very long plot (longer than it has been)

1jediboy, 03/19/2018, 12:08 pm NST
I WAS RIGHT!!!!!! SECRET LOOOOOORE!!!!!!!

I new they couldn't go through this whole un-comiced plot without SOMEthing from lore... Sadly, it seems this officially renders The Darkest Faerie Playstation game Non-canon. I never even played it because I never had a playstation, but it did look cool from what I saw from it.

WAIT!!! IF THE DARK FAERIE WAS KAIA, MAYBE MALUM IS KING ALTADOR UNDER A SPELL!!!!!!!!!!

sakeru187, 03/19/2018, 12:13 pm NST
This could be a very long plot (longer than it has been)

^
I'm honestly cool with that. Just not literally have weeks between each step *facepalm*.

sakeru187, 03/19/2018, 12:15 pm NST
What if Malum is King Altador under a spell
^
That'd be interesting but I think they'd mention the King being missing by now.

1jediboy, 03/19/2018, 12:16 pm NST
^
This plot does seem to have a lot of holes. *shrug*

1jediboy, 03/19/2018, 12:17 pm NST
What if the seven hooded figures were part of the Altadorian High Council?

sakeru187, 03/19/2018, 12:18 pm NST
True xD but to me it's fun/interesting still. Even if the steps take forever to arrive.

sakeru187, 03/19/2018, 12:18 pm NST
Ooh I forgot about those guys already :o neat idea.

hathor, 03/19/2018, 1:01 pm NST
I got a golden key out of my SDB, but it said there was nothing further inside. When my inventory refreshed, I still had the coffer and key left. Both are now in my SDB.

purplebin, 03/19/2018, 1:43 pm NST
The coffer is not opening, although at least one person got it to work and modeled the Kaia Inspired Skirt on DTI. Once again they have mis-zoned a skirt as a dress, so shirts can't be worn with it. Time for another ticket!

px, 03/19/2018, 1:51 pm NST
I can get to the graveyard, and there's a small golden piece but I can't click anything and it's not giving me a sword..?

yekith, 03/19/2018, 2:15 pm NST
Same. I can't click anywhere on the graveyard. I'm sure I've done all steps...

yekith, 03/19/2018, 2:20 pm NST
Ahh wait. I GOT the sword, even though it never said I did and noticed no link! Now I thought of checking my inventory cause I went back to the graveyard through Neovia and got Kaia as challenger.

cloonshannagh, 03/19/2018, 2:22 pm NST
Now we know why/how Fyora was injured. There is a fitting enemy. (PS. I never liked Kaia, but tried to be fair and give her a chance.)

1jediboy, 03/19/2018, 2:47 pm NST
HOLY OPALS!!!!!

Pulsing Ruby Ring?!?!?!?! What if it's ALIVE?!?!?! Like Rubies from Steven Universe!

Headcanon: Steven Universe & Neopets take place in the same universe; and that ruby is trapped in that ring!

Oh my Glob! I want that to be true SO BADLY!!!!!

cat, 03/19/2018, 2:49 pm NST
I am SO EXCITED to see TDF! I am so curious on how she became free
---
My theory has always been that she and Sloth got free during TFR while the Faeries' magic was nullified, although in TDF's case she was still petrified from Xandra's curse until it was lifted. But remember at the end of TFR her statue had gone missing from Fyora's garden.

lunas, 03/19/2018, 2:49 pm NST
I could cryyyy, I can't even beat Kaia on medium difficulty . Sadly training takes too much time and there was no way I could ever get up high enough. Any chance someone is willing to lend out a battle pet?

1jediboy, 03/19/2018, 3:04 pm NST
Ooooh! I found evidence about an hour ago that might be proof that the AHC does have something to do with this!

Who was it that informed the faeries about the attack in the first place?

The Angry Yurble Janitor! That's who!

sakeru187, 03/19/2018, 3:05 pm NST
But remember at the end of TFR her statue had gone missing from Fyora's garden.
^
Ah I see. Well hopefully everything will be explained later on ^_^

^
It looks cute though. I beat Kaia on hard but I already did all my battles with Ace today so I have to get the coffer tomorrow T_T hopefully it'll be fixed by then. As for it not fitting the correct spot, that really sucks :/

fennox, 03/19/2018, 3:08 pm NST
What is some quick weapon to throw at Kaia that will knock off 200HP?? ... i'm lossing by that much

1jediboy, 03/19/2018, 3:11 pm NST
But remember at the end of TFR her statue had gone missing from Fyora's garden.

---

THAT HAPPENED?!?!

P.S. Please see previous JN post "Charity Corner Live!"

moonlightwitch, 03/19/2018, 3:11 pm NST
Malum is stuck in someone's skin. He is a good guy and if I read that right a lost friend.

Its all in the database here in Jellyneo ...
Think I read to much *shrugs*

sakeru187, 03/19/2018, 3:47 pm NST
^
Try using weapons in a different order. I did with my Ghostkerbomb and Malum's Sword with Warlocks Rage to try a different rout and I ended up beating her on my third try with two hits. Using Lens flare on my second try of course.

tanoshii, 03/19/2018, 4:12 pm NST
---
I called this months ago. Now the question is, was Kaia a REAL faerie that was abducted/killed and TDF assumed her form, or was she always TDF? Because..if it's the latter, you'd think Fyora (or anyone else) would have been smart enough to realize that.

tanoshii, 03/19/2018, 4:30 pm NST
/that awkward moment when you don't read all the comments and someone else already said it.

tanoshii, 03/19/2018, 4:37 pm NST
Too bad King Altador is still around or I would say Malum was actually him in disguise and she came after him in revenge.

1jediboy, 03/19/2018, 4:53 pm NST
Small recap on my theories so they don't get lost in the comment sea.

Theory 1: There was secret lore from neopia's past that would happen near the end of the plot:
CONFIRMED. (The Angry Yurble Janitor was proof.)

Theory 2: Malum is King Altador in disguise:
INCONCLUSIVE.

Theory 3: The other hooded figures are the rest of the Altadorian High Council:
INCONCLUSIVE.

Theory 4: Steven Universe & Neopets take place in the same universe; and that ruby in Kaia's ring is trapped:
INCONCLUSIVE... for now...

watry, 03/19/2018, 5:09 pm NST
Crud, I spent ages training and I can't even beat her on easy. The best I can do is a draw.

pie_man_aa, 03/19/2018, 6:07 pm NST
I clicked around the graveyard and it said I found a sword, but it hasn't appeared in my inventory. Anyone know why this happened?

eeeeva, 03/19/2018, 6:37 pm NST
Agh; I wanted to see the animation for myself, but you spoiled the reveal on the front page! (I guess I should also thank you for the walkthrough help but but I wanted to be a LITTLE surprised!)

xfer, 03/19/2018, 6:43 pm NST
pie man aa - The same happened to me, but for some reason, it was in my SDB. Check if it's there.

seriouslythough, 03/19/2018, 10:07 pm NST
This again? Having every single step, twists, and reveals right at the front page. The Step-by-Step Guide link is like BELOW all the reveals which means I had to see it just trying to just get to the link.

flowersformachines, 03/19/2018, 10:13 pm NST
The Kiko Lake team is collecting donations so they can go to the Altador Cup this year. You donate Sword of Malum. How nice!

I literally didn't have a chance to put it in my SDB.

1jediboy, 03/19/2018, 10:24 pm NST
@flowersformachines - That's horrible! I'm sorry to hear that. That was a no-trade item. You should send a ticket!

P.S. Please see the previous JN post "Charity Corner Live!"

flowersformachines, 03/19/2018, 10:29 pm NST
I responded, thanks for letting me know!

What topic should I file the ticket under, do you think? It doesn't seem to exactly be a bug, so I dunno.

josie, 03/19/2018, 10:56 pm NST
----
I think Kaia was a real Faerie, and TDF took on her form. The reason I believe that is because if she were TDF the whole time she would've not tried to help the other Faeries trying to figure out who the Wraiths are at first. She would've tried to undermine them every step of the way. Her personality didn't change until she went to the woods. That's when TDF got a hold of her. She tried the same with Fyora, but Fyora was stronger and able to resist.

Someone asked if Kaia drops items in the BD. She didn't for me, and I didn't do any other battles before her. All I got was the coffer and NPs.

1jediboy, 03/19/2018, 11:13 pm NST
@flowersformachines - Yeah. Bug fix. If you file ANYTHING under ideas or something, you get an immediate automatic robot response, not knowing what's happening on the other end of the ticket. Bug fix = eventual response. (usually by Rico S.)

pie_man_aa, 03/20/2018, 12:59 am NST
@xfer I checked and it's not there. Looks like I got gypped.

jessalynn, 03/20/2018, 7:37 am NST
Is anyone having issues unlocking the Mysterious Orange Coffer? Whenever I open it, it just says "There's nothing more inside this chest." with a blank picture.

hathor, 03/20/2018, 8:11 am NST
Just a reminder that if you are using the throw pillows method against Kaia on hard, DO NOT DO any dailies that could injure you or make you sick including snowager, expellibox, wheels, deserted tomb, apple bobbing, etc.

hathor, 03/20/2018, 8:22 am NST
So, immediately after I posted that last comment, I forgot and did my dailies, including apple bobbing and got blurred vision. It wouldn't let me cure her, but when I went to see if I was automatically withdrawn from the fight, it still let me fight Kaia. So, just don't do dailies that will drain your HP.

watry, 03/20/2018, 8:45 am NST
What is the throw pillows method?

mamsmelk_jr, 03/20/2018, 9:00 am NST
I was insanely lucky Kaia did not take any health on her first turn, because her second turn I was left with 1 HP But I did defeat her in 1 go.

unfortunally I can't even beat her on medium difficulty so no Charm for me

mamsmelk_jr, 03/20/2018, 9:10 am NST
@watry There is a pet ability called Throw Pillows. if you use it, your opponent can't use any weapons that turn, so you won't lose any health. you can use the ability once per day so the strategy is to do 1 turn with the ability, then leave the battle as it is (don't exit) and then do another turn the next day when you can use the ability again.

unfortunally you can only get the ability if your pet is lvl 50.

jessalynn, 03/20/2018, 9:14 am NST
I'm taking that no one here is having issues with the Mysterious Orange Coffer.

cat, 03/20/2018, 9:29 am NST
---
Either that or TDF was going to replace Fyora but before she could Kaia burst in and attacked her so she decided to replace Kaia instead and leave Fyora in the infirmary.

1jediboy, 03/20/2018, 9:38 am NST
@cat - Please see previous JN post "Charity Corner Live!"

cheyennet2, 03/20/2018, 10:39 am NST
@1jediboy- you are hilarious! Your posts always make me laugh!

lunas, 03/20/2018, 11:01 am NST
@mamsmelk_jr going forward on that throw pillows method:
Does it mean you can't turn off your computer at all at the end of the day? Like do you need to keep the tab open and active until you beat Kaia? (also, which weapons would you recommend?)

dolchay, 03/20/2018, 11:05 am NST
@lunas

You don't need to keep the tab open or anything.

Just close out and next day go back to the bd

1jediboy, 03/20/2018, 11:08 am NST
@cheyennet2
*picks up random hat out of nowhere* *puts hat on head* *tips my hat to you*

lunas, 03/20/2018, 11:09 am NST
@mamsmelk_jr That is amazing!!!! Oooh I wish I had known about this a month earlier, maybe I would've been able to beat Malum too. Ah well if it works with Kaia I'll try my hand at Malum again. Now just to find which weapons work best. Thanks so much!!!

mavegibson, 03/20/2018, 11:24 am NST
Yeah, throw pillows is a sure way to beat her on hard, if you are high enough level to get the skill. It does work, but keep in mind that while you have that battle pending every day, you won't be able to use the healing springs or the healing springs shop, you won't be able to use the battledome for dailies, and there are other things on the site you can't do as long as you are 'in battle'.

But it's a small price to pay if you're a completionist who wants all the achievements and can't win otherwise.

lunas, 03/20/2018, 11:27 am NST
I am currently level 80 (or well, my battle pet is )
Hit Points: 184
Strength: (109)
Defence: (105)

Any pointers on weapons to use to maximize effort?

dolchay, 03/20/2018, 11:42 am NST
I just use malums sword and the blazing embers sword along with the throw pillows ability and for me it works fine

mavegibson, 03/20/2018, 1:17 pm NST
Train "Throw Pillows" and go into battle. Use the strongest weapons you have along with the Throw Pillows ability. Close browser tab.

Next day, go into the battledome. That same battle with Kaia will still be there, waiting for your next attack. Use the strongest weapons you have along with the Throw Pillows ability.

Rinse, repeat for the number of days it takes to kill her. Can be done by anyone able to train Throw Pillows - which is anyone at level 50 and above.

The ability Throw Pillows allows you to prevent the opponent from using weapons against you. Because it can be used once a day, if you drag the battle out over a number of days you can ensure that your opponent never gets a strong attack in on you.

1jediboy, 03/20/2018, 1:18 pm NST
Wow... The pillows method sounds like cheating!

lunas, 03/20/2018, 1:32 pm NST
i don't think it is cheating at all, you're not breaking any sort of rules, and from what I've seen the method has been used for years already

mamsmelk_jr, 03/20/2018, 1:45 pm NST
I don't see it as cheating, you're still within the rules, you just take a lot longer than you normally would. and not being able to do a bunch of dailies because of it, is sort of a compromise. Anyway, while I've known about the Pillow method, I've never actually used it because my pet doesn't have an high enough lvl. My pet is at lvl 42 now, so I might be able to get him up to 50 and use it to beat kaia before the plot is over. And if I can't, well to bad

josie, 03/20/2018, 1:59 pm NST
do 1 turn with the ability, then leave the battle as it is (don't exit)
-------
I should've came here first and read the advice before going off to battle

After using the pillows on Kaia she took all my HPs, and it told me "defeat" and "exit" right underneath, so I did. I guess that progress is lost now since I clicked that button.

mamsmelk_jr, 03/20/2018, 2:09 pm NST
@josie if it said defeat you have to exit, because you can't do any turns after. unfortunally abilities don't count as weapons, so if you're unlucky she will still take your HP, the pillow method just makes it more likely you survive the turn.

mamsmelk_jr, 03/20/2018, 2:10 pm NST
it's not fullproof, but it certainly gives low lvl pet's a chance to actually beat though opponents.

mavegibson, 03/20/2018, 2:12 pm NST
It is not cheating. You are using the tools of the site as they were designed. If that is what it takes for someone to defeat an opponent, that is a legitimate defeat. People have been doing this for years for certain battles.

Not being able to do battledome dailies or other things on the site is a huge compromise, here. A player is missing out on tens of thousands of NP per day from those activities by dragging out a battle over a period of days Even more if they're on premium and able to battle the opponents with better prize pools. If someone is willing to make that sacrifice to defeat a particularly tough boss, then I think they've earned the defeat.

mavegibson, 03/20/2018, 2:14 pm NST
You're right, mamsmelk_jr, it is not a guarantee of winning. The opponent can still use abilties against you that might completely obliterate you.

twocue, 03/20/2018, 3:08 pm NST
Aw man I still can't get the note. I went to Neovia and I see grave danger at the bottom, is that what they meant? I went to it but I still didn't get anything.

mavegibson, 03/20/2018, 3:22 pm NST

lunas, 03/20/2018, 3:26 pm NST
The link to the note is in the conversation between the faeries, the link is pretty obvious in blue. It's not in Neovia.

twocue, 03/20/2018, 4:05 pm NST
No I know XD I was referring this part that was posted by jelly :

"(If you don't get a link to the Forgotten Graveyard at this point, you can access it by a button at the bottom of the Neovia map.)"

Because the link to the note still isn't working for me. Clicking it in the convo or using this link http://www.neopets.com/twr/malumclue.phtml
only takes me back to the headquarters page.

lunas, 03/20/2018, 4:09 pm NST
Ah I see ;p. Maybe try using a different browser then? It seems to be working for everybody else.

mavegibson, 03/20/2018, 4:47 pm NST

It's not actually on the map, it's a link below the map saying, "go to graveyard."

pigfish99, 03/20/2018, 9:23 pm NST
How come JN's Battlepedia takes so long to update?

dark169, 03/21/2018, 1:14 am NST
"If you are not clever you may get buried in your own plot."

Are TNT talking about Kaia or themselves?

hathor, 03/21/2018, 7:23 am NST
@dark169 I assumed both as it is a pun.

hathor, 03/21/2018, 7:30 am NST
@jessalynn It seems most people are having trouble with the coffer, myself included. Apparently, one person did manage to open it though. I'll try a different browser if I can and update.

jessalynn, 03/21/2018, 12:19 pm NST
Tried that; still got the same result.

flowersformachines, 03/21/2018, 3:58 pm NST
got a response to my ticket and had the sword replaced!

1jediboy, 03/21/2018, 6:20 pm NST
YAY!!!! I'm so happy for you!

gamer_5_55_555, 03/21/2018, 10:38 pm NST
By the way, if anyone was wondering how the note is decoded, it's simply every odd letter, then every even letter.

I didn't see it immediately so figure someone else might not have gotten it.

sakibou, 03/21/2018, 11:55 pm NST
gamer_5_55_555:

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.

1jediboy, 03/22/2018, 4:28 pm NST
You know, I just came up with another theory... but I shall save it for the NEXT plot themed post.

Here's a taste: Long-term Wraith nucleus.

hathor, 03/23/2018, 8:59 am NST
sakibou: I think what gamer_5_55_555 means is in order to unscramble the note Malum left, you go 1, 3, 5, etc to the end, then do 2,4, 6 etc to the end.

will - JN Staff, 03/23/2018, 11:59 am NST
@gamer_5_55_555 @sakibou @hathor It's not though. It's a rail fence cipher with two rails, which effectively means you decipher it by splitting it in half and taking letters in order alternating between the halves.