Altador Cup XIII
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
All the hottest looks, try them on today!
Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup

Fiendish Formations Day 5
  • Posted on February 13, 2018, 12:07 pm NST

Part 5 of Fiendish Formations is now active. It keeps the format of previous days - today's target score is 3,500. If you are having difficulty due to screen size, remember you can zoom out in your browser.

» View Our Step-By-Step Guide «
xfer, 02/13/2018, 12:10 pm NST
Loooove this game!

cloonshannagh, 02/13/2018, 12:35 pm NST
Absolutely Luv FF. *looks for tar and feathers*

maxgarou, 02/13/2018, 12:39 pm NST
Don't know why. I felt like today's was easier than yesterday's.
Got it at my first try

morganjoisle, 02/13/2018, 12:39 pm NST
I'm not huge on this game, especially the way the scoring system works. It reminds me of Caves and Corridors, and I don't like having to replay levels when I have an overall pretty good reaction time.

I'm also highly disappointed that I'm going to lose out on prize points by not completing most of these levels on the day of release. I was at an anime convention this weekend without computer access, so yeah. :-/

1jediboy, 02/13/2018, 12:43 pm NST
What weapons are perfect for defeating Malum on hard mode, again? I have the "Hubrid Nox Memorial Shield" and the "Fire-Spitting Energy Shield" AND the "Hanso Charisma Charm" and my battle pet STILL couldn't defeat him!

I'm thinking I should load him up with "Thick Smoke Bombs" but I'm not sure if there were any other methods.

Thank you if you have any methods.

morganjoisle, 02/13/2018, 12:48 pm NST
@1jediboy: You have lens flare and warlock's rage, right?

pigfish99, 02/13/2018, 12:55 pm NST
the main thing thats changed is the cooldown between levels, and the ASSASSIN IS FASTER NOW.

1jediboy, 02/13/2018, 1:05 pm NST
Lens flare: Yes.
Warlock's rage: No.
Big___shot is level 117.

drzoidberg, 02/13/2018, 1:22 pm NST
Thank you for these reminders!!!!

purplebin, 02/13/2018, 1:42 pm NST
Oh, the Wheatgrass Juice is a BD item! Heals 15 HP, once pet battle.

purplebin, 02/13/2018, 1:43 pm NST
I struggled a bit on level 5, and was surprised I got the score on the first try.

lunas, 02/13/2018, 1:44 pm NST
It's not fair that you won't get an achievement for missing that first day! They should have announced it at least. I missed one single day by just a few hours due to time difference between nst and european time and now I won't get that final achievement. Uncool.

zixianna, 02/13/2018, 2:30 pm NST
'A Stickler for Time
You cleared all areas on the same day they were attacked!'

Each 'next step' takes weeks, then I'm sick for a couple days and suddenly there's 'time sensitive plot steps' *facepalm*

snow_queen915, 02/13/2018, 3:07 pm NST
@zixianna I'm in the same boat, but I've just been super busy with my studies. I just came onto JN to find that I've missed all of the Fiendsih Formations steps so far. Oops.

1jediboy, 02/13/2018, 3:19 pm NST
I think I only have three more days left to beat Malum on hard and I still don't know how!

morganjoisle, 02/13/2018, 3:44 pm NST
@1jediboy: Ah. Magic Marbles of Mystery is a good freeze item, but it still takes up a weapon slot. JoIsle's up at 545 strength right now, so my weapons are geared toward a 2-turn knockout strategy, and might not be the most effective once Malum starts attacking and defending.

morganjoisle, 02/13/2018, 3:49 pm NST
@1jediboy: You're not receiving neofriend requests or neomail from non-neofriends, so I'm unable to contact you on-site. Was going to ask how far you're falling short on Malum, and offer to lend a couple of weapons if you think it would help.

mavegibson, 02/13/2018, 4:45 pm NST
I'm actually really enjoying this game. It's so far the most fun part of this plot.

1jediboy, 02/13/2018, 4:52 pm NST
That's so nice! Thank you!

I really don't talk to other people online without knowing them in real life.

That's why there's no contact to my user account.

If you were to lend me the items I would be VERY grateful and careful to sent them right back when I'm done... but I don't exactly understand what strategy you were saying earlier.

I'm not very analytical when it comes to the battledome. (Train my battle pet, use items with lots of icons, find out what items match up to the opponent... that's it.)

If you lend me those items could you please walk me through what strategy I should use, step by step?

Again, thank you for the help!

cat, 02/13/2018, 5:56 pm NST
Basically my strategy with lense flare and Magical Marbles would be:
Turn 1: Lens Flare, Marbles, high damage weapon
Turn 2: High Damage weapon x2, icicle ability
Turn 3+: keep attacking

But you may also be unable to beat Malum and that's OK.

seven_dead_owls, 02/13/2018, 5:59 pm NST
I missed day two thinking the first one would have a day and a half like most things around the site when it comes to things like this, especially with how far between most of the steps have been. I don't mind about the prize so much but completing that achievement helps ranks you up and so far I've got all the things but that now
The game is okay, kinda cool, takes a few tries to beat it for me but I'm not that quick and the assassin thing gets my pieces a couple times and flusters me up, that dude needs to chill
Thanks for the zoom tip, I don't know why I didn't think of that. It really helps to be able to see the bonus time counting down, at least for me anyway.

zen, 02/13/2018, 9:16 pm NST
For those having trouble with Malum on hard, I used the "Throw Pillows" method listed here:

The more strength your pet has, the faster you'll beat him. My BD pet has 143 strength, used water muffins, and a turned tooth, and I beat him in about 3-4 days.

morganjoisle, 02/13/2018, 9:27 pm NST
@1jediboy: I only lend items if there's a neomail record of our mutual agreement, so that's why I've commented about being unable to contact you on neopets.

By two-turn knockout strategy I mean that my goal is to defeat Malum in two turns. Lens Flare blocks the opponent from using weapons for one turn, and warlock's rage blocks the opponent from using weapons the second turn. Because my opponent (in this case, Malum) is unable to attack me for two turns, I do not have to worry about defending. I also know that he's unable to use shields, and as such it doesn't matter what type of icon (physical, earth, water, etc.) of damage I do, so all I have to worry about is the number of icons. That means I use two offensive weapons, whatever I can afford that does the most icons of damage.

morganjoisle, 02/13/2018, 9:35 pm NST
@1jediboy: The strategy I use only works if you've got a pet over 200, though, because it requires having both Lens Flare and Warlock's Rage. The lower your strength, the less your damage will be multiplied, too, so even high icon weapons will be less effective.

I've got magic marbles of mystery that take one turn to use. On the turn you use them it will do three base icons of physical damage to your opponent (before factoring in your pet's strength multiplier), but the opponent will still be able to attack. On the turn AFTER you use magic marbles of mystery your opponent will be frozen. Magical Marbles of Mystery is a useful weapon for extending the amount of turns you'll be able to go without getting hit, but it's still only going to add one extra turn for you to attack Malum without getting hit.

lunas, 02/14/2018, 1:25 am NST
Seeing on here that there are some experiences battlers. Is it remotely possible to beat Malum on Hard with my current Kau? http://www.neopets.com/petlookup.phtml?pet=MoonKau

I have about 25m np in total, of which I am willing to spend about a third on good weapons & defense. But I don't know which ones!

lunas, 02/14/2018, 1:26 am NST
Her current level is 78 btw

_kingdomheartsf_68, 02/14/2018, 12:36 pm NST
You get a book called War Strategies as your Day 6 prize in TWR.

_kingdomheartsf_68, 02/14/2018, 12:40 pm NST
For name of prize and achievement.

_kingdomheartsf_68, 02/14/2018, 12:44 pm NST
Also, there appear to be 2 decoy units in Stage 6, so yeah.

1jediboy, 02/14/2018, 7:31 pm NST
@MorganJoIsle

Sorry I didn't reply sooner.
The neomail thing makes sense. Very valid.

Hmm... Big___shot is only at 178. I can't even get him any higher! There's this glitch that I've had for YEARS now! I reported it, but it's still in effect: Every time I try to train Big___shot in anything other that HP or Level, it says it can't go any higher than twice the level! It's NOT twice the level!

He doesn't have Warlock's Rage. He DOES have Lens Flare, though. If I had the Magic Marbles of Mystery, do you think I could still beat him?

This is his equipment:

Lesser Healing Scroll / Randomly Firing Freeze Ray / Stone Foam Finger /
Fire-Spitting Energy Shield / Blazing Embers / Thick Smoke Bomb /
Hubrid Nox Memorial Shield / and / Hanso Charisma Charm.

I think I get what strategy you're talking about, now. But do you think Big___shot is strong enough to USE this strategy properly?

morganjoisle, 02/14/2018, 8:57 pm NST
@1jediboy: Please either request to be my neofriend, or allow neomail from users who aren't neofriends. I'm offering on a couple of Altadorian strength potions on the trading post right now. I'll try and help you get up to the next strength tier. That will bring your attack multiplier up from 3 to 4.5 damage.

1jediboy, 02/14/2018, 9:13 pm NST
Thank you! I've put the barrier down. You can neomail me.