Snowager alert!

Knights vs. Raiders, let the challenge begin!
The Advent Calendar is here for all of December!
All the hottest looks, try them on today!
Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Discover the characters of Neopia in our Book of Ages!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | GMC | Advent

Fiendish Formations Part 3
  • Posted on February 11, 2018, 12:28 pm NST

The third Fiendish Formations stage has been released. Today's version introduces the Wraith Assassin, which will after a countdown remove one of your pieces from the board. The target score today is 2,000 points.

This step launched at 12 noon again. This seems to be the pattern and it seems that those completing previous steps after noon are no longer getting a gold tick on stages within the game - again we recommend completing steps as soon as possible as it looks as though the day of release requirement times out at noon rather than midnight.

» View Our Step-By-Step Guide «
stories2btold, 02/11/2018, 1:31 pm NST
I'm so glad they were able to change the timing for new steps/challenges in games/events so that many of us could get screwed over unexpectedly. TNT never lets us down, after all.

topaz644, 02/11/2018, 1:49 pm NST
@stories2btold But does it really matter if it midnight or noon as long as you have 24 hours?

purplebin, 02/11/2018, 1:59 pm NST
I think part of the problem was that when the second game wasn't available first thing on the second day, people assumed it was the usual first day-and-a-half deal, and might have missed the second game because of limited schedules.
I still kind of think it might have been a coding error, 12pm instead of 12am.

mamsmelk_jr, 02/11/2018, 2:09 pm NST
@topaz644 The problem isn't really the time you have to complete the step. Many people live in different time zones and/or have other things to do, so when the come online after midnight NST and don't see a new step, they will assume there won't be a new step that day. So they do their daily stuff etc. and won't be back untill the next day, meaning there is a high chance they will miss the step.

topaz644, 02/11/2018, 2:19 pm NST
Yeah the noon start IS really different and an announcement should have been made. Points taken

gamer_5_55_555, 02/11/2018, 2:27 pm NST
I think you have to ask "what should everyone do in order to get the highest tier", and I feel like there's a lot of players that want to be highest tier. Many players won't be happy if a large proportion gets in, nor will they be happy if they don't get in.

However I do agree that you shouldn't expect more effort out of someone just because they live in a certain time zone.

gamer_5_55_555, 02/11/2018, 2:30 pm NST
I also agree that more announcements would help players figure out what is expected. For example, the health bars at the infirmary let us know how soon a patient will leave.

topaz644, 02/11/2018, 2:36 pm NST
I do think when a plot is going on if you want to "high tier" as gamer said then checking in at midnight doing dailies and leaving until midnight the next day isn't what you should do.

I've missed lots of plot steps in the past for various reasons but that's on me, not TNT. However the noon thing is whacked and Purplebin may be right about an am and pm coding mix up.

teresa, 02/11/2018, 2:49 pm NST
----------
That's exactly what happened with me. I checked in in the morning didn't see a new step yet. I had an abnormally long/busy day at work not getting home until 1 am my time, so figuring no new step was out I was safe to go to bed, especially since it was the weekend. Obviously I was wrong and I kinda hate myself for it. But I'm also bitter towards TNT for it. Normally they give us some sort of warning (or the day and a half thing) when a new thing starts.
I'm just very disappointed that I've worked so hard on this very long plot only to have missed a part this late in the game because of this. Especially since I don't recall them doing updates not at midnight and having them count against you.

topaz644, 02/11/2018, 2:58 pm NST
teresa said-I checked in in the morning didn't see a new step yet. I had an abnormally long/busy day at work not getting home until 1 am my time
---
But it was still available for you to complete Day Of the next morning...

yukidaviji, 02/11/2018, 5:45 pm NST
How exaclty am I supposed to do this when he keeps destorying peices? The counter is every second it seems, not every time you put a peice down!

avibabyy, 02/11/2018, 5:48 pm NST
Just completed day 2 and I still got the gold tick. It's currently 5:47NST. I think you can still get a gold tick the day after the game is released.

yukidaviji, 02/11/2018, 5:50 pm NST
----
I don't have a gold tick on the first day...and I did it after it was released.

new_perspective, 02/11/2018, 6:28 pm NST
topaz644 said - But it was still available for you to complete Day Of the next morning...
----
some of us work shift work. So I go to work for the saturday night, work sunday morning and have sunday evening off. so yeah, I was on yesterday morning and assumed it was the day and half thing like usual. I didn't check until now to so I guess I messed up on day 2 due to communication errors.

neo111186, 02/11/2018, 6:33 pm NST
So they're fine dragging EVERY step in the plot for freaking weeks and then now they rush this AND make it so that it's time limited? And over the weekend, when there are normally ZERO updates??? Thanks, JST, swell job. /s

snoooopy445, 02/11/2018, 6:47 pm NST
It is a major problem with the new time change of noon. I live in Japan and usually your afternoon is when I'm sleeping. Then I have to go to work in the morning like everyone else. I don't have time to play the game at that time. It means I would have to play it during work hours, which isn't convenient for me at all. I would rather play the game when I get home from work and that means that the game needs to reset in the am, not pm. I hope this new time change is a mistake like a lot of people are saying.

stories2btold, 02/11/2018, 6:59 pm NST
——
This x1000.

Besides, even taking away the time zone differences, some of us have lives and depend on the day and a half thing (especially after a mix up) to be able to have a chance at best prizes for the same amount of effort as anyone else.

purplebin, 02/11/2018, 7:36 pm NST
I don't understand how different time zones are a problem here, other than with the first day.
Why does it matter when each day starts and stops (once we are aware of it, and it's consistent) if everyone has 24 hours for each step? And if you can't make it here every 24 hours, then when the time changes doesn't really matter.
And this game only takes a few minutes each day.

gamer_5_55_555, 02/11/2018, 7:52 pm NST
It does make me wonder if they'll ever do a plot where nothing is time sensitive, and everyone who completes all of it gets the same prizes. They did it with the Altador plot.

gamer_5_55_555, 02/11/2018, 7:54 pm NST
As for the day 3 puzzle -- try to do it before you're attacked at all. For some reason the assassin attacks every 8 seconds to start, but goes down to 4 seconds which is much harder.

There's only two types of pieces here so it's not hard to just tap once or twice to put a piece down.

1jediboy, 02/11/2018, 8:41 pm NST
EVERYONE!

I highly recommend giving one of EACH of the potions Malum can drink TO him.

I don't have evidence to back this up... but I think it might be a secret achievement.

Other than to make sure all the "from wraiths" items are depleted from neopia, why else would Malum have the ability to drink ALL of the previous drinks! Secret achievement/plot points!

1jediboy, 02/11/2018, 8:42 pm NST
Let's cure that Lupe!

sakibou, 02/11/2018, 8:48 pm NST
But Malum can't actually drink ALL of the potions. Just 6/10 of them...

1jediboy, 02/11/2018, 9:09 pm NST
*touches finger to nose*

gamer_5_55_555, 02/11/2018, 9:52 pm NST
Yeah he said "one of each of the potions he can drink"

But actually I did that anyways because I needed most or all of them to get the "one of each" achievement anyways.

laur0204, 02/11/2018, 11:23 pm NST
This is probably a stupid question, but how much time do we have to reach each daily score? I get that each day the new stage is released at noon. However, does that mean you have until midnight (only 12 hours) or until noon the next day (24 hours)? Thanks in advance.

solsticesprite, 02/12/2018, 12:30 am NST
@yukidaviji you may be having timer problems on your computer? It's eight seconds from the first sight of the screen, and then four seconds after it eats one of your pieces.

fuzzyflufffeet, 02/12/2018, 1:25 am NST
I'm just a little bummed that other steps were taking weeks before they updated and suddenly we're at 24 hours. I've been mostly checking daily but there was a IRL major thing that happened and I missed a couple days and wouldn't you know this is what I missed *sigh*

mudy, 02/12/2018, 4:47 am NST
To be very honest, I'm more than okay with how it's going, timeframe included. I missed most of LDP(that freaking temple timed lock-out) and Sloth's Return because of real life stuff, this is ///exactly/// the point. Maxed out scores are for people who can dedicate full time to something, be it fair or unfair to me since I, in particular, can't (due work, stress, and adult life).

And 24h starting noon (as in 12:00 instead of 00:00 rollover) is exactly to give players from all time zones a chance, actually. You have 24h split between two days, I don't see how that's an issue unless you stumble upon my first statement. I really don't think I should be getting S-score golden diamond trophies unless I bother checking on neopets during lunch break, traffic or something. You know, putting extra effort on something - which I could but if it was OMG SO IMPORTANT but... no, not really happening.

sakibou, 02/12/2018, 5:56 am NST
gamer_5_55_555:

I was referring to this statement: "...why else would Malum have the ability to drink ALL of the previous drinks!".

yellowbluerainbow, 02/12/2018, 7:39 am NST
Ugh thank goodness you can play on your phone! I forgot to do the third one last night and now I'm at work

topaz644, 02/12/2018, 9:43 am NST
12:43 and it's not live yet. Lets hear it for consistency lol

topaz644, 02/12/2018, 9:43 am NST
oops Neo time silly girl

cheyennet2, 02/12/2018, 10:05 am NST
@1jediboy- I think they gave malum the ability to be fed all of the potions that weren't currently being used in the infirmary so that anyone who had missed any or all of the infirmary steps up to now still have the opportunity to catch up and earn the avatar.

ducky - JN Staff, 02/12/2018, 10:12 am NST
Quite a lot of updates happen at noon (last Charity corner, DD, GMC) but I do agree being rather silly first day not to be a day and half like others.

I am one who always suffered from old days "first days" since I am +10h to NST, was sleep on news release, then went to school and when I came home and checked Neo, it was already day 2