Wraiths are taking over Neopia!
Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Create your own wishlists!
Help us model your pets!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Plot

New Shenanigifts: Masquerade Party
  • Posted on January 30, 2018, 11:31 am NST

A new Shenangifts party has appeared - masquerade themed!

We're adding the new prizes to our guide as we find them.

» View Our Shenanigifts Guide «

If you're attending, don't forget to help us out by modeling your spoils!
purplebin, 01/30/2018, 11:32 am NST
Yikes, so sorry, I started modeling too quickly!

dave - JN Staff, 01/30/2018, 11:43 am NST
@purplebin: No worries! You can never model too early. The models just stay hidden in our database until we actually add the item to the Item Database.

mavegibson, 01/30/2018, 1:26 pm NST
I am so annoyed with the artists' recent obsession with mirror symmetry. It's not attractive on items, especially when all they are doing is taking the item from the left and copy/pasting it to the right and calling that done.

This is especially bad in foregrounds and so forth where the items look unnaturally symmetrical and repeated, but it's also awful when done in a background.

Many of the items from this set suffer from that problem. I miss the days when they had artists who cared about making things look natural and balanced without being mirrored.

fenix, 01/30/2018, 1:47 pm NST
@mave
Looking back at stuff from 2013 and comparing it to the last couple of years, there's a definite showing that the current artists lack the fundamentals of art. They clearly have no idea on how to work with perspective, and think taking an image while copy+pasting it and shrinking it will give the illusion of perspective. And it doesn't; it just shows they can't draw or be bothered to draw properly.

mavegibson, 01/30/2018, 1:59 pm NST
I can't claim to know why they do things the way they do - it could be they are rushed and pressured rather than lazy or poor artists - but the outcome is the same regardless. A decline in quality.

Like, with the balloon foreground. They did a great job of creating the balloons, but ruined it by making them look unnaturally symmetrical. They clearly copy/pasted and flipped the balloons. Not sure why they didn't at least rearrange the second batch a bit.

Perspective is definitely suffering with some of the newer items, but so is lighting. I look at some items and think "where the heck is the light source supposed to be, here". Especially when they copy/paste things and flip them but don't adjust the shadows to appear on the correct side of the item.

I don't necessarily blame the artists for it. Could be management isn't giving them the time or resources to do the job they'd like to do.

dark169, 01/30/2018, 5:28 pm NST
Something about the Masquerade Ball Background feels that in another universe, there'd be a "Ski Lodge Murder Mystery 2: The Revenge of Maverick" going on.

1jediboy, 01/30/2018, 6:23 pm NST
*looks up* *GASP* M-m-m-m-m-murda?

1jediboy, 01/30/2018, 6:54 pm NST
*looks at mavegibson's talk of quality*

There should be some sort of service on Neopets where the artist users, (NOT the shoddy "art" makers of the new TNT), contribute to the art around the site.

I'm not talking about the Art Contest. I'm talking about users who draw so well it becomes a permanent fixture of the site!

What if users were given the chance to draw items that would become part of the site?

What if users drew new wearables? (*CoughVandagyresCough*)

What if users draw the PLOT COMICS!!!

Neopets has a very artistic community. The new TNT should acknowledge it more. If people who make such amazing works of art are willing to spend their time making Neopets art for free, then they should have the right to contribute to permanent Neopets art if they want!

That's my stance on that.

pikachu315111, 01/30/2018, 7:30 pm NST
Is Neopets laggy?

vaporesque, 01/30/2018, 8:08 pm NST
Yes, it is very laggy and has been that way for hours. Many users report pages loading with lots of broken images, but with no consistency. Now they see their pet, now they don't

lasimone1981, 01/30/2018, 9:29 pm NST
I'm....really, really underwhelmed with this. Masquerade had potential for some really awesome items, but...meh. Its all personal preference, but, for me, they dropped the ball on this one. Its hard to get excited cause this new crop of artists ( I miss the TNT artists, before being bought out they were cranking out some truly awe-inspiring items) are so hit or miss. Free The Faeries had some awesome items, the Victorian/Earth faerie superpacks were awesome, but then stuff like this and 99% of S.S. make me just shrug my shoulders.

1jediboy, 01/30/2018, 9:42 pm NST
*gestures to my comment above *

biediep, 01/30/2018, 9:52 pm NST
Good to read it's not just me on the lag. Just woke up and can't seem to get anything to load, or it only loads half a page and I can't see or click anything. As for the Shenanigifts, I like the wigs and the non-LE BG, but..I feel like even those could've been a lot nicer. Oh well..!

morganjoisle, 01/30/2018, 11:42 pm NST
@pikachu315111: Yes, extremely so!

@vaporesque: Yeah, I've been getting broken images off and on too.

jessalynn, 01/31/2018, 6:45 am NST
When will this lag end?!

kyrette, 01/31/2018, 6:53 am NST
Haha, glad I'm not the only one that checks JN when the site is laggy! xD
@1jediboy That'd be cool! *cough*lastyear'sbirthdaypetpets*COUGH*

tomato99, 01/31/2018, 9:41 am NST
Neo is broken!

theartofscreaming, 01/31/2018, 9:46 am NST
I've had some SUPER bad lag and broken images as well, but that's not really what has me concerned. The problem is, one of my pets is a different color???? She's my lab rat, so I thought maybe I just didn't pay attention to the last zap I gave her, but I checked the lab ray logger and there are no color changes after yellow, and now she's cloud. Also I randomly got logged out last night. I think it's weird that this all happened right at the same time as the lag. I was worried I had gotten hacked, but everything else is untouched other than my pet changed colors...

tomato99, 01/31/2018, 9:49 am NST
@theartofscreaming That's disturbing! I had to check my pets and they are all as they should be.

theartofscreaming, 01/31/2018, 9:53 am NST
@tomato99 It scared me too, I'm glad your pets are all okay though! I changed my password to be safe. Everything else seems okay. I'm not sure if I should zap her today or not though.

biediep, 01/31/2018, 10:10 am NST
@theartofscreaming Wow that's horribly disturbing indeed o.o Getting logged out and a color change you're pretty sure wasn't the lab...that's really scary.. Good thing you changed your info, make sure your email is still what it should be, too! Hope this lag isn't related to anything evil :S

kyrette, 01/31/2018, 10:35 am NST
Site's still SUPER laggy. My main account pets seem to be fine (images won't load) but I can't check on the rest.
@theartofscreaming Oh my. Maybe send in a ticket when the lag is fixed?

mistyraider, 01/31/2018, 11:01 am NST
With all the new NC items being released, you'd think there might be enough money to pay for servers that can handle the traffic.
This lag is making me growl!
I love neo but it's also extremely irritating -- kinda like being mom to a of 2 year old!

jessalynn, 01/31/2018, 12:55 pm NST
Man, even with the lag, there are rumors about a new plot step involving battling Malum...

psychopath, 01/31/2018, 12:58 pm NST
Not just rumors. Actual achievements.

theartofscreaming, 01/31/2018, 1:34 pm NST
@biediep @kyrette Oh, that's a good idea! I started thinking about it and worried that it was a cookie grabber, but I've checked everything and nothing seems to be missing at all. It could be because I had a PIN enabled, but even then, hackers don't normally just paint a pet and leave, so it's really weird. I hope no one else's pets are randomly changing color.

mavegibson, 01/31/2018, 1:49 pm NST
@1jediboy

I like the idea of fans being able to draw things that actually get used on the site, but it seems unlikely that would ever happen. There are some complicated issues around legal/HR that would likely prevent it.

I am glad the random contest is back, though. It gives us someplace to contribute creatively to the site.