Living vs. Dead, let the challenge begin!
All the hottest looks, try them on today!
Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Join a large Neopets community!
Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Plot | GMC

Faerieland Dialogue Update
  • Posted on October 16, 2017, 12:09 am NST

UPDATE: TNT have updated their offical Neoboard:

Hello Fellow Neopians! Scrappy here!

I'm here to level with you guys and let you know what's the deal here! As you may have noticed, Fyora is a little slow in assembling her troops to respond to the events at the Faerie Festival. Believe me, Scrappy (and the rest of TNT) wants the battle to begin more than anyone!!

However, due to happenings in the TNT offices (the acquiring previously mentioned), priorities had to shift slightly. Don't get me wrong, it is a GREAT thing! We have so much excitement happening here and there are soooo many things in the works for you guys! But sadly, that took us slightly off schedule.

So, Fyora is waiting on our word, which I promise you is coming! Then, the battle will begin! I understand any and all frustration due to the delay but in the long run I think it will be worth it! So, remain the wonderfully patient Neopians that you are, keep training and you will be rewarded :)

Stay cool, my friends!
-Scrappy

P.S. Don't forget to go check out Haunted Hijinks :)

Scrappy has subsequently clarified that this doesn't mean the plot will be delayed from her original hinted November timeline - just her means of explaining the slow October schedule.

---

Today has brought another new update at the Faerie Festival, and it seems Kaia has an unusual gift:

Fyora: A few months ago, it was brought to my notice that Kaia has an exceptional power, gradually being revealed as she trained. I began observing her, and realized that with a little extra training, this young faerie can become a great asset to our kingdom. She foresaw the fire at the Academy Library well before it happened and came up to me, trembling and nearly incoherent. It took a while to understand what she was saying, but I finally did and we were able to save many lives by getting there before it could get out of hand.

Taelia: You mean, she has The Sight?!

Fyora: I have not determined how much her Sight encompasses, but she has repeatedly foreseen misfortunes since then.

Taelia: That's wonderful! I wish you had told us about this sooner, my queen.

Kaia's Neopedia entry has also been updated to reference the episode with the fire that Fyora mentions.
herdy - JN Staff, 10/16/2017, 12:16 am NST
You mean she has a Plot Device?! How rare! Not like many other Faeries can also sense the future, or there are loads of Neopets who can do it. Shocking development.

skiasma, 10/16/2017, 12:20 am NST
Now, now, let them have their Fairy Sue.

Still, slowest exposition ever.

pikachu315111, 10/16/2017, 12:21 am NST
Really? That's the direction we're going with her?

Also wasn't this the ability that got Caylis banished?

skiasma, 10/16/2017, 12:25 am NST
Kaia goads Eithne into a rage at the Book of the Month club, mocking her choice of author.

Kaia: "My Queen, I see a fire in the Library!!"

escrainus, 10/16/2017, 12:58 am NST
She did it, she has multiple personality issues, so her future visions are trully what her other personality wants to do :v

and then she is revealed to be the fake personalityand the evil one takes full control, and we then kill kaia and happily dance over her death body (?)

sketch, 10/16/2017, 3:54 am NST
Kaia: I see a great fire in the library, my Queen!
Kaia: *sets fire to library*
Fyora: sHe HaSeTh ThE sIgHth!!! :O

beyondelsewhere, 10/16/2017, 4:12 am NST
@skiasma Fairy Sue.

Visions was the most dull of the powers on Charmed. And always happened by the power of Plot.

zeelink, 10/16/2017, 4:38 am NST
I still don't trust her. She has the evil eye, she even smirked when I lost at her stupid game XD

fenix, 10/16/2017, 5:07 am NST
Wait, what fire? I don't remember that.

neoprpa, 10/16/2017, 6:28 am NST
'It took a while to understand what she was saying, but I finally did and we were able to save many lives'

Whatever would we do without you, Queen Fyora?!

theartofscreaming, 10/16/2017, 7:04 am NST
Okay guys, come on. I know that this "sight" thing is a little overused and a bit mary sue-ish but I mean at least SOMETHING is happening. XD I'm gonna try and enjoy it. Maybe we'll at least get some cool new neopet characters. The Xweetok on the site theme looks cool. Although I can't help but think that Xandra was speckled, and this little guy is spotted. X3

cherish_white, 10/16/2017, 7:24 am NST
Let's see.
-One of a kind in her species (check)
-Almost everybody loves her and a powerful figure immediately pays attention to them (check)
-Those who don't like her are all portrayed as bullies and jerks (check)
-Special power (check-a-roo-no)
-Her existence calls into question the entire canon (arguable check)
-Wields a katana (no, but honestly I sort of hope she does.)

Well, the diagnostics are in, unfortunately. And I was beginning to like her.

geodude25, 10/16/2017, 7:25 am NST
I have the Sight.

There will be a plot in November lol.

cay, 10/16/2017, 7:30 am NST
*hugs Kaia* having that power must be scary
Speaking of Xweetoks I love the spotted one in the site theme too - he is my 3rd fav Xweetok character (though non of us other then TNT know his name!)

roshchodesh, 10/16/2017, 7:50 am NST
On occasion, Meepits also have the site.

ka_zatha, 10/16/2017, 10:16 am NST
The Sight... I see. It doesn't mean "Sight" as in eyesight, but sight as in WEBSIGHT. Kaia is clearly the one who purchased Neo, the owner of WebDragon!

What a twist!

bonju, 10/16/2017, 10:21 am NST
Make your predictions guys. I'm saying that Kaia starts being super helpful with everything, then something terrible happens and everyone blames her, but after some plot twist she manages to overcome her feeling of defeat and saves the world.

acexcat13, 10/16/2017, 10:49 am NST
PLEASE, Fyora, NOT a SW/HP/etc clone.

The SIGHT? So she saw this coming and said nothing until NOW?

zeelink, 10/16/2017, 10:49 am NST
Kaia is Xantan Reborn.

ka_zatha, 10/16/2017, 10:50 am NST
@Fenix

"Kaia? Are you alright?" asks the queen worriedly.

"Books... candle... fire...", murmurs Kaia.

"What did you say?"

"Library... not safe..."

Realization sweeps over the queen and she rushes to the Faerieland Academy's library. As she enters the main hall, she notices a fire burning from a pile of scrolls scattered on one of the side tables in the next room. A flaming candle had fallen from its bracket onto the papers, starting the fire. A sudden wind lifts the burning pieces of paper and drops them on the next table where several ancient tomes are laid out. Fyora points her staff at the burning sheets and the fires die out, one by one.

It was something (added to?) in the Neopedia. It wasn't nearly as difficult to decipher as the Queen made it sound though .

artemisaltori, 10/16/2017, 12:08 pm NST
god. this is going to be inane, isn't it?

1jediboy, 10/16/2017, 12:44 pm NST
The sight? So she basically has "Future Vision?"

I wAs RiGhT!1!1 FaErIeS aRe SeCrEtLy GeMs!1!1

FeeOrA Iz a RoZE Kwarts!

lazybutt, 10/16/2017, 12:58 pm NST
Scrappy sure does love exclamation marks! They make every sentence exciting! Can she end a sentence without one?! No, I don't think it's possible!

1jediboy, 10/16/2017, 1:02 pm NST
*shakes face and composes self*

Does this mean we have to wait a couple more days or another whole week?

pikachu315111, 10/16/2017, 1:07 pm NST
Okay, let's break this down:

LIBRARY FIRE: Considering one of the Faerie elements is FIRE I wouldn't think this be a surprise. Scratch that, actually would, since it is an element wouldn't there be spells to prevent an unwanted fire happening? Especially in a library?

TREMBLING VISIONS: Oh yeah, I remember that scene from Harry Potter. Harry ges a vision of Ron's dad being attacked by Voldemort's snake, brought trembling to Dumbledore who figures out what's happening. Was a real gripping and tense scene.

SAVED LIVES: Really? Was a fire really that dangerous to the Faeries? I remind you, two of the elements is FIRE AND WATER. Heck, Earth and Air could also put the fire out easily. Light and Dark too. The only "threat" was it destroying books containing ancient knowledge, but that's it.

THE SIGHT: Aren't Light Faeries suppose to be clairvoyant, which is why they ask for cards, to use as tarot cards? And gee, what a unique power...

pikachu315111, 10/16/2017, 1:07 pm NST
This is weak storytelling. As everyone said, Kaia is coming out to be a Faerie Sue. Now, maybe this will change once she sets out to do stuff, but for right now we have a by-the-number chosen one narrative. They really couldn't think of anything more original than clairvoyance? A power we've not only scene on Neopets before, but used as a major story element (and better handled) in previous plots. Like, does her being from Shenkuu have anything to do with this? You gave her such a unique design and different origin than other Faeries, is there a reason for that? Other than you didn't do your homework. *SIGH*

Hire me. Just hire me! I'll write you more interesting plots, ones that actually follows the plots lore and puts intentional new twists to it. Though I'll need a small budget. Oh, not for writing the story, to commision ACTUAL ARTISTS. You know, to draw the comics and additional new images. Even better if we could get someo of the original TNT artists, hey, m

pikachu315111, 10/16/2017, 1:08 pm NST
Even better if we could get some of the original TNT artists, hey, maybe even get some of the original content team. You know, the people you laid off who made Neopets what it was because your a businesses do, right? They acquire new properties and lay off staff without bothering to think how that would affect things. BET YOU'RE REGRETTING THAT NOW!

Sorry, this weak reveal just really frustrated me. I'm gonna let JS finish their plot, but my enthusiasm is now really low for it.

beyondelsewhere, 10/16/2017, 1:55 pm NST
*hits the LIKE button for pickach315111's posts*

butterflyvj, 10/16/2017, 2:15 pm NST
*also LIKES pickachu315111's rant*

AGREED. Smh...Faerieland didn't fall for this...

josie, 10/16/2017, 3:51 pm NST
How come we haven't heard of this fire up until now? Or maybe we did and I missed it somehow, which wouldn't be surprising at all

maple_snow, 10/16/2017, 3:58 pm NST
Just burn Faerieland to the ground and let the Darkest Faerie be the supreme Queen of Wraithland.

takhdir, 10/16/2017, 3:59 pm NST
petition to let herdy and duke pikachu write the plot

warmum, 10/16/2017, 4:40 pm NST
The story line is honestly incredibly boring. Any number of fans could write wonderful plot lines with fantastic twists, all following along with the past stories while incorporating new elements. Heck, look at the content JN puts out by volunteers. You all make really fun things on here. The current plot by JS is just piecemeal and they are adding things on the fly as needed to flesh out a poorly written story.

blastoise87blue, 10/16/2017, 6:02 pm NST
Im assuming scrappy is talking about Netdragon buying Jumpstart?

fenix, 10/16/2017, 6:16 pm NST
@josie I think they recently added an article to the Neopedia about the fire, but it was written to keep old fans at bay from calling shenanigans, since I swear, in all my time on and off Neo, I can honestly say I fail to recall any kind of library fire happening.

How convenient....but it still doesn't cover up the terrible writing we have to endure. Old fans have noticed and will still question since this is supposedly an event that happened some time ago, yet we as players are now just learning.

inkpot, 10/16/2017, 6:17 pm NST
this isn't even the plot. i don't understand why people are getting so worked up over the story for a battledome event.

like... chill out.

genusm, 10/16/2017, 6:17 pm NST
I would draw your plot pikachu

*sigh* The fact that they choose faerieland & the Wriths again frustrated me. i could write a bible about my compleins but i am not good at english, so im just gonna find a corner & drown in my anxiety

cay, 10/16/2017, 11:34 pm NST
@blastoise I think she may mean her new apprentice (I wish I were part of the team - I've always imagined what it would be like working with them!)
Either way, I'm grateful for this update - gotta love TNT!

cat, 10/17/2017, 12:05 am NST
@cherish_white - congrats, you've just described every faerie that takes her appearance from one of the Neopian lands instead of one of the base elements. I'm also not sure the check about everyone loving her is warranted, Fyora's taken her under her wing but she's done that before with Xandra and may do that with all the non-elemental faeries before they grow confident enough to strike out on their own. Also there have been no bullies.

Also don't a lot of plots reference events and people that are literally only introduced for the plot? That may not be the best writing, and foresight may be overused, but you guys are nitpicking.

cat, 10/17/2017, 12:12 am NST
On a side note, I wonder if they got the thing about a vision of a library burning from the Dragonets of Prophecy series, since that was one of Moonwatcher's early visions.

herdy - JN Staff, 10/17/2017, 2:13 am NST
Cat, she was bullied in the Neopedia. It’s really not nitpicking - Kaia is almost a textbook Mary Sue at this point, even worse due to the fact that her special gift’s uniqueness contradicts established site lore.

thepapercutjellyfish, 10/17/2017, 5:52 am NST
I feel like they're just making this plot up right from the top of their heads. There's like, no real thought into it so far. It's nothing we haven't seen already. We've even seen this all on neo it's self before!

eleanorrigby, 10/17/2017, 9:52 am NST
I'm trying to be patient and have low expectations, but I am starting to get annoyed. On the one hand, I don't want Kaia to turn out to be evil, because that's too similar to Xandra for me and because "the strange newcomer we initially distrusted and mistreated was Evil All Along" isn't a great takeaway. At the same time, it's starting to feel like the only thing that's going to stop her from being a Mary Sue.

ladyamethyst, 10/17/2017, 1:00 pm NST
B-b-but Harry Potter did it!

^ Yeah, and there was a Tim Hunter before him. Everything gets recycled in storytelling. Heroes become villains, villains become heroes, but one thing never ever changes: the villain is the hero of their own story.

I'm willing to see how this plays out. If it isn't some new earth shattering story, oh well. Given the whole lot of zilch we've gotten the last few years, something new but familiar is welcome.

cat, 10/17/2017, 1:50 pm NST
@herdy - I hadn't read the Neopedia entry when I posted. You're right that the writing in it is pretty bad. As for the bullying, it does say she was bullied a little, by two faeries that bully everybody. Other than that she's a textbook case of an overly selfconcious character and that's why she avoids the other faeries.

As for her gift, it's not unique in Neopets lore, but it is very unusual, which is why Isca and Caylis having that power in their plot was such a big deal (though I still don't get why Caylis was banished for it, that's probably the most nonsensical thing ever to happen in a plot). I'm willing to wait and see where they go but it is looking like their writer doesn't have that much writing talent.

As for Mary Sueishness, she's not that much worse than Hanso, honestly. And depending on whether she dies gloriously in a heroic sacrifice and is brought back to life she might end up checking fewer boxes.

herdy - JN Staff, 10/17/2017, 4:48 pm NST
All Light Faeries can see the future. It’s not just Isca and Caylis. Fyora herself showed us she had predictive powers 6 months ago. It’s unusual in that it’s less common than left handedness, but not in terms of those with magical powers.

1jediboy, 10/17/2017, 9:48 pm NST
*Claps at what pikachu315111 posted*

cat, 10/18/2017, 11:15 am NST
The Light Faerie's predictive powers have literally never come up, their Neopedia article doesn't even mention them and neither does JN anywhere that I've found. But in any event Kaia isn't a light faerie so her having predictive powers would still be unusual. Besides, that's my point, the fact that Kaia's power is unusual but not unique makes her less Sue-ish, not more. And as I said even if she did have a unique super special power that's not that different from any of the other unique faeries.

ziporen, 10/18/2017, 1:48 pm NST
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that most of the more unique Faeries have special powers. They are unique because of the jobs/quirks they have. (ex. Kari is an Earth Faerie who specializes in neggs; Naia probably can't paint pets, but the fountain that she tends to can; etc.) Their designs reflect their jobs and personalities. Kaia's design shows her connection to Shenkuu, but so far it doesn't have much to do with her powers. That is subject to change, though.

The problem at this point seems to be less that Kaia has "The Sight" and more that it's probably going to be played up as particularly important and special when, based off of existing canon, it shouldn't be.

Get JN updates via