Discover the characters of Neopia in our Book of Ages!
Earn NP from playing games!
Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword Answers | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle

New Faerieland Dialogue + Neopedia
  • Posted on September 19, 2017, 5:08 am NST

Today has come with another new conversation in Faerieland ahead of the Faerie Festival starting tomorrow:

Fyora: Kaia! Come in, have a seat.

Kaia: You wished to see me, my queen?

Fyora: Yes. I'm sure you're aware of the preparations for the Faerie Festival that are going on. Which stall are you volunteering at?

Kaia: I... They all had volunteers, my queen. I couldn't find any stall where I could help at.

Fyora: Hmm, I thought so. Well, we'll need a stall for you then. I want you to go ahead and set up a game stall - something which is festive and fun to play. It would be a nice addition to the Faerie Festival.

Kaia: My own stall? But are you sure, my queen? Could I really do that?

Fyora: *smiling* Of course, I'm sure!

Kaia: Oh, I'm so excited! I'll get started immediately. I already have an idea in mind!

This also comes with the release of a new Neopedia article devoted to Kaia. This confirms she is a student at the Faerieland Academy, originally from Shenkuu.
beyondelsewhere, 09/19/2017, 5:36 am NST
NEW FAERIE! Woooohoooo!!! Look at her wings! They are gorgeous! And a new game maybe? Or maybe just for the festival? But still - something NEW!

kawaiicurls, 09/19/2017, 8:53 am NST
While I'm excited for the new faerie (being South Asian myself and maybe feeling a slight ounce of representation) there were aspects about the Neopedia article that bothered me. While it's a work of fiction, it just seemed a touch off key that even in fictional Neopia, being an outsider bites :'

PS someone said on another thread her wings would be like Sakura blossoms and they deserve a pat on the back for the good guess.

tyuio_k50, 09/19/2017, 8:57 am NST
why is it bothersome though? Being an outsider is hard, but she's beginning to make friends

kawaiicurls, 09/19/2017, 9:06 am NST
It took recognition from Fyora before the other faeries became a little more accepting; I suppose I understand Kaia's excitement of thinking she was finally headed somewhere where she'd be with 'people like me' and discovered she's still sort of an oddball loner? It's going to resonate with users whose real life experiences are just so XD Plus honestly, poor faerie girl is setting up her own stall because the other faeries were just like 'sorry we don't need anymore help'? It's a subtle indication of bullying and I guess I'm just not a fan of the introduction. I love Kaia though, I'm sure I'll love her stall/the overall event. It doesn't lessen the sour note though.

novelista, 09/19/2017, 9:15 am NST
My gaming persona is named Kaia and I love Shenkuu. O.o

pikachu315111, 09/19/2017, 9:26 am NST
Hmm, this is interesting. I think JS's lack of knowledge had just accidentally created some more Neopia lore, and it's quite not bad.

Before this, ALL Faeries came from Fearieland. It's the home world of the Faeries and it's assumed whatever way they make new Faeries its tied to Faerieland or at least the new Faeries are then taken there to learn.

But now, assuming from shear accident (JS, just cause the Faeries look humans does not mean they have a human-like culture), JS says this isn't true and there are some non-Faerieland Faeries. Now this brings up the question how new Faeries are made (and, no JS, I highly doubt it's via reproduction). I always assumed it was a ritual of some sort, Faeries gathering and melding all their magic together to form new Faeries. But that puts a wrench in that idea, or at least it being a strict ritual. Seems like creating a Faerie can be done anywhere in Neopia. So question is are there any more non-Faerieland Faeries and

pikachu315111, 09/19/2017, 9:31 am NST
So question is are there any more non-Faerieland Faeries and do they differ from normal Faeries? Like Kaia looks pretty unique, is that due being created in Shenkuu?

As for Kaia (pronounced kaa-yaa, some say kee-yaa but it's all the same), called it she'll have cherry blossom petal wings! She looks cute, that kimono (and probably her wings and hair) are SO a new clothing item being released for this event. I look forward to see what JS have planned for her here and in the future.

geodude25, 09/19/2017, 11:49 am NST
You know, this really did some damage to my headcanon . I had always believed that the faeries only came from Faerieland. Talked with other people and they thought that maybe Kaia is from Faerieland but was taken to Shenkuu when she was really young. Perhaps she forgot or someone deliberately erased her memory. This seems unlikely but the Neopedia article doesn’t confirm nor deny this theory.

Still, this addition to Neopian lore has convinced me to update my headcanon and I’m excited to hear about future faeries that aren’t from Faerieland. Maybe the faeries on the Altadorian council aren’t from Faerieland either? Perhaps Jhuidah hasn’t been there either?

pikachu315111, 09/19/2017, 12:32 pm NST
@ geodude25:
Eh, I'd say both Psellia and Siyana are from Faerieland, their appearance doesn't really strain too much from a typical Air and Light Faerie. If they want to make any previous existing Faerie not from Faerieland I'd say Jhuidah (Mystery Island Faerie), Ilere (Haunted Woods), Nuria (Lost Desert), Kari (though probably not Terror Mountain), and Tooth Faerie (no idea). Maybe Mira too, though I don't think from Kreludor or is like an alien Faerie (plus she's authorized to give out quests).

That said, aside from Ilere, I think those Faeries have at least visited the homeland of their species.

purplebin, 09/19/2017, 1:24 pm NST
Her wings look like Lotus blossoms, not cherry blossoms which have rounded, small petals.

1jediboy, 09/19/2017, 2:06 pm NST
(says to the key of "where do babies come from"

Where do Faerie's come from?

1jediboy, 09/19/2017, 2:07 pm NST
I didn't mean to wink!

jcdiva7, 09/19/2017, 2:16 pm NST
I think there is a mistake here (could just be me)

"Kaia however ignored the stares and ss and continued with her lessons. "
^^
isn't that snickers?

jcdiva7, 09/19/2017, 2:16 pm NST
well it seems the filters saw what I saw...I think this further proves this is a mistake

maxgarou, 09/19/2017, 3:03 pm NST
Perhaps after faerie festival Kaia's stall will become a new daily.

purplebin, 09/19/2017, 3:04 pm NST
@jcdiva7, that other s-word is a real word that is only a problem because of sensitive filters.

josie, 09/19/2017, 7:10 pm NST
I think Kaia will quickly become my favorite faerie. I can relate to her in many ways. She also reminds me a bit of Mulan.

And TNT did an awesome job with the way they drew her. She's beautiful

ppluk, 09/20/2017, 1:24 am NST
I love her wings, I am hoping for a item of these. I feel they are putting effort into the site which is nice to see.

spabl, 09/20/2017, 3:24 am NST
There is going to be a NC part of the Faerie Festival. In the NC Mall now:In the Mall: Free the Faeries Superb Slingshot Packs.

o_ya_toe_knee_is_gr8, 09/20/2017, 4:52 am NST
it's kind of live now?

mlooshka, 09/20/2017, 5:02 am NST
I gotta say, Kaia's story is kinda dark - especially since they've used existing art assets for the "mean girls" image, implying that the faeries we've thus far been doing favours for are actually bullies (and possibly even a bit xenophobic).

A story line about bullying and acceptance of difference could be great, but based on the quality of writing we've seen in Kaia's arc so far, I'm not sure JS has the chops to pull it off. The neopedia article spends a single sentence on the cessation of bullying (after she learns to conform and act like a proper faerie, of course) but then in the dialogue we still see her being shunned by her classmates?

Using lazily written pablum to address an issue that probably affects many players for the sake of microtransactions is just distasteful. Fingers crossed they'll prove me wrong, but I'm not holding out much hope.

mistyraider, 09/20/2017, 5:57 am NST
Wing it! is a very irritating game!
Who in the JSworld thought flying blind would be fun?
On the plus side of the Faerie Festival, Healing Springs heals all your pets!

kawaiicurls, 09/20/2017, 6:36 am NST
@mlooshka - you knocked the nail right on the head -fist bump-

jomarcenter, 09/20/2017, 7:09 am NST
I notice Kaia artwork kinda not really look like the modern neopets artstyle.

geodude25, 09/20/2017, 8:30 am NST
Guess this is a call to write a better Kaia story for the NT.

Get JN updates via