Help us model your pets!
Take a tour of the entire planet of Neopia.
Join a large Neopets community!
Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword Answers | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle

Updated Site Rules
  • Posted on September 13, 2017, 6:02 pm NST

TNT has released an updated version of the site/chat rules. It includes a breakdown of the general overarching rules that site monitors will be holding Neopians to, along with an explanation of the general spirit of each rule. Most appear to be common sense, but it's nice to see them all spelled out.

Included in the list is the set of disciplinary actions that monitors will take to punish your account for breaking the rules. These include: friendly reminders, warnings, silencings, suspensions, and freezings.

View the Updated Rules »
pikachu315111, 09/13/2017, 6:30 pm NST
"Most appear to be common sense, but it's nice to see them all spelled out."

Never underestimate how much common sense some people lack. Proof: Most frozen foods that have to remind people to remove the food item from its box/plastic wrapper. Or restaurants having to remind people that coffee and soup are hot. Each one you see was because someone complained they weren't warned.

artemisaltori, 09/13/2017, 6:48 pm NST
These still aren't super comprehensive, just concerning chat really. Wish all the "rules" they come up with in the Editorial were part of a list and categorized on the site in a more public fashion.

purplebin, 09/13/2017, 6:53 pm NST
I like the "Spirit of the Rule", to help people figure out what isn't explicitly spelled out.
But I'm sure lots of people were expecting something a lot more detailed than this, with everything collected from editorials, etc.

novelista, 09/13/2017, 6:54 pm NST
The coffee lawsuit wasn't because the drinker was stupid, Pika. (I'd really like to not have to tell anyone that anymore. )

inkpot, 09/13/2017, 7:20 pm NST
i thought they said they were updating the rules to better reflect the age group neopets is now being used by?

i don't really see any noticeable changes...

oldbluehat, 09/13/2017, 8:14 pm NST
For as long as it took to create, I was expecting more from TNT. This seems pretty similar to the previous rules page, and the extra chat rules at the bottom are just the general rules listed again.

I'm just a little disappointed I guess.

cat, 09/13/2017, 8:19 pm NST
This looks like the same rules we already had.

dave - JN Staff, 09/13/2017, 9:03 pm NST
There doesn't appear to be any changes to the rules, no. Business as usual I would say.

morganjoisle, 09/13/2017, 9:12 pm NST
Have any of the rules actually changed? I read through, and I like how well-organized everything is, but this rules list is by no means comprehensive. I wish that they would create a well-organized set of rules specifically on user shops and the trading post, and also one on pet trading. :-/

thepapercutjellyfish, 09/13/2017, 9:27 pm NST
*faceplants into mayonnaise*

This changes nothing

pikachu315111, 09/13/2017, 10:02 pm NST
BTW, what were the rule changes/expansions we were expecting?

xxsinger, 09/13/2017, 11:06 pm NST
We aren't even allowed to talk about FB?

purplebin, 09/14/2017, 6:14 am NST
There weren't supposed to be changes to the rules, it was just that there was so much not covered in the original T&C that was being clarified in the editorial over time, and people wanted it all in one place.

twilson1118, 09/14/2017, 11:34 am NST
Kind of disappointed too....

carmel_whitworth, 09/14/2017, 4:24 pm NST
kind of a dumb question but like it says not to talk about orientation/gender but can i say like "my gf plays neopets" like in passing on the boards even if it says my gender is "other"? i still use my old name on the site (i dont even go by it irl anymore) because i feel like if i list my name as something different on there they'll think that im sharing the account or that i like sold it or something.

eleanorrigby, 09/14/2017, 5:37 pm NST
@carmel_whitworth: For what it's worth, I changed my name on Neopets a while back and haven't encountered any issues.

I hope you're allowed to say something like you said in passing, since I certainly see people say things like, "my husband/wife" when they seem to be a woman/man. I feel like since you can list your gender as "other," it should be fine to sort of mention orientation and gender incidentally? But basically I have the same question as you.

plushielynis, 09/14/2017, 7:11 pm NST
Idk if it's okay to talk about here, but am I allowed to talk about my boyfriend even though I am male? Or would that count?

Like all my onsite friends talk about their partners and I like being part of those conversations

bonju, 09/14/2017, 9:39 pm NST
Tbh it's kinda dumb that orientation and gender identity is still a "taboo" topic when hetero couples exist in the neopian canon. But oh well.

eleanorrigby, 09/14/2017, 11:01 pm NST
I agree, but if its inclusion in that rule just meant in the way of "don't start conversations about 'hey, what do you think of gay people'," then I get it. But like, those of us who are LGBTQ+ shouldn't have to pretend we don't exist.

Really, when I'm on Neopets I mainly just want to talk about Neopets, which seem to be what these rules really want you to do. Only there's not much to talk about lately. :/

o_ya_toe_knee_is_gr8, 09/14/2017, 11:48 pm NST
@carmel_whitworth
I used to go by Tony (Anthony is my middle name, I preferred it for quite some time and I was hoping there wasn't anyone I knew playing and they'll be like 'I know you!' which would have been awkward) then I changed it to my...eh, close enough to my real name, Morris just different spelling so people pronounce it right. I haven't had any problems.

marfbear, 09/15/2017, 2:24 am NST
Got a little dialogue pop up in Faerieland today. Looks like the festival is coming.

morganjoisle, 09/15/2017, 2:41 am NST
@plushielynis: I think that if you only say something like "oh my husband loves omelettes too!" in passing that you'll probably be alright, but saying something like "I love my boyfriend/girlfriend/love of my life so much and I wish that I could spend my entire life with my beloved!" on the other hand would probably be delving too much into the details of one's real life, romantic relationship for neopets, regardless of who you're with. That's my advice, mostly based off of what is and isn't accepted into the neopian times. lol

morganjoisle, 09/15/2017, 2:45 am NST
@bonju: Neopets has always been strict about romance, though. They're traditionally a little more lax on canon couples from plots, but generally speaking I thought we weren't supposed to center stories around romance or set up romantic relationships between our pets or anything.

ducky - JN Staff, 09/15/2017, 5:43 am NST
If I get warned when I whine on boards that Mr. Ducky loves quiggles and I think they are disgusting then be it :p

I don't think we get warned mentioning gf/bf/partner/wife/husband or even if it's general lifethings (Like I am going on vacation with my husband)

So yeah nothing new there. Carry on.

ummy - JN Staff, 09/15/2017, 11:57 am NST
^I know someone who got warned for innocently using partner in context, because it can fall under the sensitive topics rule.

Probably better to use SO in place of husband/wife/bf/gf/partner etc in case something can be interpreted as romantic.

Get JN updates via