Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
Earn NP from playing games!
Join a large Neopets community!
A searchable database of Neopets images

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword Answers | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle

Item DB TP Tagging Updates
  • Posted on August 11, 2017, 3:56 pm NST

Hello all! We have a few updates to our Trading Post Tagging feature in the Item Database.

If you haven't seen our last update, in the past month we re-released a way for you to contribute to our growing database of item information. Our goal is to tag our Trading Post history with the asking price from wishlists to make it easier for the histories to be viewed in the future. You can contribute by helping us to tag those lots!

Below are the updates we've made recently:

New Trophies!
We've added some new trophies for those who have submitted a bunch of tags. Level 71 is now activated, for those who can make it to 500,000 or more tagging points. If you're eligible for one of these trophies already, simply submit tags for 1 lot to activate the new trophy.

Incorrect Tags Visible
We've made it so that you can view the tags marked as "incorrect" from the past 30 days. Check out the incorrect tags page for a list.

No More "Already Submitted Tags" Errors
We changed the way new lots are pulled for you to tag, which eliminates the error saying you may have already submitted tags for that lot. Yay!

Lot Cleanup
Also from a backend perspective, we've worked a lot on automatically tagging lots without any asking prices to reduce some of the clutter that you might see.

Guideline Updates
We've taken some of the feedback we've been receiving and added a bunch of updates to the Tagging Guidelines to clarify a few more points. If it's been awhile, please take a read through again to keep the latest guidelines in mind.

And that's it for now! If you haven't tried it out yet, it's a great way to contribute some assistance to the best source of Neopets item information:

Start Tagging »
purplebin, 08/11/2017, 5:29 pm NST
Yay, I love my new snowman trophy! Time to get working toward the Battle Duck.

bigtintin, 08/12/2017, 6:55 am NST
A Haiku for Trading Post Listings

Ten things, ten prices
Neopoints are whole numbers
No monologuing

absolutejudith, 08/12/2017, 8:14 am NST
Do you want the Super Shop Wizard prices? Some items are NOT on the trading post as they are not expensive

dave - JN Staff, 08/12/2017, 11:08 am NST
@absolutejudith: You should not be using the Shop Wizard, Trading Post, the Auction House, petpages, or any other sources for pricing information. Only use the pricing information stated in the wishlist for the trade you're shown. (Otherwise your tags will always be marked incorrect!)

roshchodesh, 08/12/2017, 2:41 pm NST
This is so cool with the fixes, thank you!

absolutejudith, 08/12/2017, 7:37 pm NST
But where do I find wish lists?

kait888, 08/13/2017, 10:23 am NST
This might be a silly question, but I didn't see it addressed in the guidelines for tagging. If the wishlist has a range (like 75k to 100k, for example), how would you tag that? I've also seen a few that say something like "TP price is 100k, will take less" or similar. Would that be tagged as no price? So far, I've just been skipping lots like that when they come up.

purplebin, 08/13/2017, 11:10 am NST
@kait888, what I do if they give a range is to tag the lower amount, and if they give the TP price I tag that, since that's essentially letting us know that at least one person is valuing the item at that amount, which is all we are trying to find out.

@absolutejudith, the wishlist is right under the items being traded.

kait888, 08/13/2017, 11:13 am NST
@purplebin, Thanks so much for your reply! That makes sense, I'll do the same from now on.

dave - JN Staff, 08/13/2017, 11:22 am NST
@absolutejudith: The wishlist is shown right under the items, labeled as "The Wishlist:"

@kait888: Just to confirm, purplebin is spot on with that.

tyuio_k50, 08/13/2017, 12:30 pm NST
@dave

What do we do about this type of thing:

"200k + item worth 300k"

Is this the same as the "Baby Paint Brush" rule? Unlike a specific item of variable price, the user is asking for anything with the value 300k (which is up to their discretion, but implicitly conveys that they are asking for 500k).

absolutejudith, 08/13/2017, 2:35 pm NST
I have come across a lot of full Lab Maps with a total price for all nine pieces. I have been marking them as no prices listed. There should be a way to mark these as they are a common trade listed

absolutejudith, 08/13/2017, 3:05 pm NST
What does OBO stand for please

candi_corpse, 08/13/2017, 3:13 pm NST
@absolutejudith it stands for Or Best Offer

dave - JN Staff, 08/13/2017, 5:16 pm NST
@tyuio_k50: No, you can treat that as 500k.

@absolutejudith: Since we can't know the individual values of the pieces, we don't have any plans for labeling full sets of maps.

absolutejudith, 08/13/2017, 5:43 pm NST

josie, 08/14/2017, 5:50 pm NST
I have two questions:

For example, someone has a lot with 5 items, but only gives on price for all of them. How do I tag that, since there is a box behind each of the 5 items that I need to put a price in?

If someone lists a petpage in their wishlist that has all the prices listed they're asking for, do I go to that petpage and use those prices, or do I treat it as no price in the wishlist?

josie, 08/14/2017, 5:51 pm NST
That was supposed to say "one price" instead of "on price" in my first question.

dave - JN Staff, 08/15/2017, 10:37 am NST
@josie: Our guidelines cover your first example. Unless each unique item is priced individually, do not price it. If the wishlist gives a price for all of the items and they're all the same (example: 50,000 NP for these 5 Dr Sloth Plushies!) then you can do the math since each one can be assumed to be priced the same at 10k each.

For your second question, do not use petpages or go outside of the wishlist to tag anything. You should only be using the wishlist, no other data sources.

blue_star_51, 08/15/2017, 3:25 pm NST
If a trade has two of the same item and the wishlist is something like "600k each, 1m for both", how should we price it? Both 600k and 500k seem like a logical choice.

purplebin, 08/15/2017, 4:11 pm NST
@blue_star_51, I put the 600k price, because the 1 mil is a discount for multiples. The purpose of the TP tagging is to find the price of singles.

josie, 08/15/2017, 5:59 pm NST
dave - thank you so much for your help

blue_star_51, 08/16/2017, 10:56 am NST
@purplebin, thank you, that makes sense!

solsticesprite, 08/18/2017, 2:25 am NST
As far as I am concerned I want the art on the Trophies instead of having one trophy "improve".

If I am stuck having one trophy ever, I want to see them all because right now if I encounter one I like, I'm just gonna stop tagging.

Get JN updates via