Removing Neopet Ads: Chrome
This guide is for Neopets.com. Here is a sample of what we're going to accomplish. On the left is Neopets with ads; on the right is Neopets after ad-blocking.
We will be using a Chrome add-on to do all the necessary blocking.
Note: You must be upgraded to Chrome 6 or higher in order for this to work. To upgrade, click the wrench icon in the top bar, then click "About Google Chrome" and then click the update button.
- Download and install the AdBlock add-on.
- Click on the wrench icon and go to Tools -> Extensions. Click on the Options link for AdBlock.
- In the General tab, select the options you want (I recommend enabling the AdBlock button next to the address bar). Go to the Blacklist tab and click on the Edit button. Add the following filters:
From now on, if you see something you would like blocked, right-click on it and go to AdBlock -> Block this ad. Click on "Looks good" and then "Block it!" to apply the changes.
- Restart your browser to make sure the changes take effect.
- (This step is optional.)
If you wish to keep the top banner (that space above your username, current NP, etc.) on every page, then remove the www.neopets.com##DIV[id="ban"] filter.
- Keep up with browser and add-on updates, as those contain important bug fixes. Enjoy ad-free browsing!
Important: Chrome is a bit different from other browsers and doesn't support ad-blocking as fully as it could. The add-on mentioned in this guide will try to block ads from downloading (other add-ons just allow the ad to load and then they hide it from your sight); however, some resources might still slip through before they are blocked. That's why when you load a page, you might see a blank spot that used to be an ad, and then the page finishes loading and it becomes properly blocked and gone.
This article was written by: Terry & Illy