JN is Hiring!
Well hello there! If you're here, I'm sure you're interested in working for JN! All you need to do is read below for full details about current available positions. Be sure you follow all of the instructions, or else we may throw out your application.
Although we are hiring for multiple positions, all of them require the following information to be included in your application. Please make sure you include ALL of this, as we will need it upon accepting your application.
- At the beginning of your application, write out your basic information: Name (no last names please), age, gender, country where you live, jnAccount username, JN forums username (this is required), Neopets username, and Skype username (required, which we use for instant messaging each other).
- Always include your name and the position you are applying for in the subject of your email. It'll make sure your application does not get lost.
- You must send your application to hiring at jellyneo dot net.
- You should include a persuasive paragraph explaining why you want to work for JN, why we should hire you, and what you think makes you fit for the job. Brag all you like here.
- In addition to the persuasive blurb, include any of the extra information (sample articles, writings, graphics, etc.) that we ask for based on the position.
- Almost every position on staff requires you to know standard HTML, so please make sure your HTML skills are clean and polished and conform to the W3C standards.
Here are some guidelines on what we're really looking for. We tend to accept exceptional individuals who take all of these guidelines into consideration.
- You must be at least 13 years of age. No exceptions. If you are under this age, please do not apply because we need staffers who can access EVERY portion of Neopets. Also, if you have a Neopets account that is over 13, but you are not, you should not have it. :)
- We welcome applicants from all over the world, but we do require that you have a firm grasp on English since JN is written entirely in English.
- Along the lines of age, we really prefer our applicants to be aged 16+. We find that this age group has the most productive individuals, but of course we know there are exceptions out there.
- Your application should be well written without any grammar or spelling mistakes. We look at misspellings and grammar errors as careless, and we don't want to be hiring those who don't take much care in their work. If you can spell, please show us this talent.
- Do not call us "JellyNeo." We prefer "Jellyneo."
- We understand completely that applications, especially the example/sample part, take time. However, if you can't be bothered to put time and effort into your application, we'll also assume that you won't be bothered to put time and effort into your work here at JN. ;)
- When we ask for sample work, model it off of the content already here on JN. Obviously, what we have here on the site is something we approve of. Therefore, if you model your application on something we approve of... we might approve of your application! Gotta love syllogisms. :D
- Format your email nicely. We tend to glance over the applications as they come in and the ones that look visually pleasing tend to stick in our minds. (Of course, they'll need to stand up to scrutiny later on during our review.)
If you follow the above instructions and guidelines, you should have a much better chance of getting hired! :) Now, onward to the positions that are open...
Petpet Park Writers
Description: We are currently looking to hire staffers to manage our Petpet Park coverage. You'll have the opportunity to contribute to any part of our guide and make sure we have current information. You should be familiar with Petpet Park and have an active account. You will receive full staff perks, which include access to our staff chat, a caricature after 3 months, places in site events, the ability to write an editorial, and refreshing soda in the staff panel.
- Complete four (4) job walkthroughs per month.
- Complete one (1) significant other update per month. A significant update can be adding weekly items or adding a new collection to the guide. Consult with the head of the Petpet Park department, if you are still not sure whether a certain task counts for this or not.
- New content (e.g., job walkthroughs, game guides) must be prepared for each new Petpet Park feature, on the fly, as it is released.
- New Park items should be added to the Item Database as soon as they are released.
- Park news should be posted to the front page of the Park guide whenever appropriate. (Park events, weekly updates, anything park related.)
- All content should adhere to the strict XHTML guidelines put forth in the staff forum.
- Bug reports relating to the Petpet Park section should be answered and dealt with as appropriate.
- What to Submit
- All content you produce should be presented to the head of the Park department, every month.
Application Details: Please include all of the required info stated in "General Instructions" in your application. Also attach a blurb of Neopets related writing in PDF or HTML form, preferably Petpet Park related (for example, a guide for a Park game or a recap of a Park event). Please send your application to hiring at jellyneo dot net, with both your name and "Petpet Park Writer App" in the subject line.
Deadline: No deadline. This is on an ongoing basis.
Description: JN is constantly on the lookout for exceptional writers. If you have experience writing high quality content, this job may be for you. As a content writer on JN, you will be responsible for writing new content relating to new games and features (as well as old ones we're missing guides for) on Neopets. You should be a dedicated Neopets player. Since writing is a key aspect, you will need to include a full fledged guide in your application. If you have ever maintained or published content on a petpage, please send examples of those. This position is rather flexible, and you have the option to write either game guides or articles. You will receive full staff perks, which include access to our staff chat, a caricature after 3 months, places in site events, the ability to write an editorial, and refreshing soda in the staff panel.
- Write one (1) piece of significant content; coordinate with Suzuka, our head of content, as to which piece you'll be doing for the month at the start.
- Deal with and respond to at least two (2) Bug Reports related to articles and game guides. If necessary, coordinate with other staff/administrators to make sure that the bugs are properly dealt with.
- What You'll Be Responsible for Each Month
- One (1) piece of content, two (2) bug report fixes.
- Submit proof of completion of these things to: Suzuka.
- This is on a monthly basis.
Application Details: Please include all of the required info stated in "General Instructions" in your application. Also attach in HTML format a game guide or article you have written. If this is your first time writing the guide (aka, it hasn't been published previously), it may get published on JN... so take some time and write something that we don't have! :D Posting your guide on a website and linking to it in your application is acceptable. If you attach your sample, make sure any images you use work. Please send your application to hiring at jellyneo dot net, with both your name and "Game Guide Writer App" in the subject line. Please note, we will not be accepting PDFs, DOCs or other file formats for the example guide. Please submit it in HTML format.
Deadline: No deadline. This is on an ongoing basis.