Species Files: Bruce
|Discovered:||16th November, 2000|
|Species Day:||5th December|
|Native Land:||Terror Mountain|
The Bruce is a feathered Neopet, with two large flat feet and a pair of stubby wings. Unlike other birdlike Neopets, it barely has a tail at all. Most Bruces wear the characteristic Bruce Bow, a smartly tied ribbon that complements their paintbrush colour, around their necks. At around 75cm tall, the Bruce is a medium-sized Neopet.
While Bruces can be found all over Neopia, their favourite home is the snowy foothills of Happy Valley, near Terror Mountain. They don't seem to feel the cold, and enjoy sliding and skating on the icy lakes and rinks. Bruces are highly competitive and love to show off, and you will often find them competing in skating contests like Rink Runner or facing one another in snowball fights. Despite their ungainly-looking bodies, they can be very graceful and agile in the right circumstances.
As far as we know, non-Faerie Bruces do not have the ability to fly. Instead, they use their wings for balance, adding to their finesse in skating and dancing.
The Bruce was introduced to the site on the 16th day of Storing, Year Two (known outside Neopia as November 16th, 2000). The surprise appearance of this cute little pet was compensation from TNT for the removal of an earlier "pet" from the site. A cartoony humanoid in a tuxedo and bow tie, the Bruce-Forsyth had been modelled on a TV presenter of the same name, but due to legal issues was unable to remain on Neopets.
To make up for the disappearance of the moustached "pet" from the site, TNT introduced the new creation on the same day. The first real Bruce was much rounder and more awkward-looking than the pet we know today, but we can recognise most of its important features (though the bulky body makes it impossible to see whether or not the tail was present). The new pet proved to be very loveable and didn't infringe anyone's copyright as a bonus. To this day, though, the species name "Bruce" and the bow around the pet's neck remind older players of a time long gone.
A Few Famous Bruces
- Benny the Blade is, or was at the time of the Maraquan War, the right-hand man of the notorious Captain Scarblade.
- The Baby Bruce Marauder Boochi is loved and feared by Neopians everywhere for his tendency to show up in Random Events with his rejuvenating ray, which has the power to transform any (converted) Neopet into a baby. Whether this is a curse or a blessing depends on your point of view.
- An unnamed Bruce Skater likes to show off his or her skills in the Rink Runner game.
- Brucey B is famed in history as the discoverer of the Lost Desert and Sakhmet City. He even helped fight off an invasion by Dr. Sloth! However, these days, he's returned to a quiet life playing Cheat! with his friends.
- Mayor Thumburt was the mayor of Neovia, a little town that fell under a horrible curse. Unfortunately, his anger at what had happened led him to attack a well-intentioned Gelert, Bruno, who had actually been trying to help the town. Eventually, the witch Sophie turned him into a Moquot. Neovia doesn't seem to have elected a new leader as of the time of writing.
- Weltrude is a high-ranking member of the Petpet Protection League. She was behind the creation of Petpet Park, and is also responsible for sending out field teams on missions. When involved in secret work for the PPL, she appears to use the codename "Mother Bruce", which very much suits her kindly nature.
- Altador Cup fans can cheer for Bruce players Kakoni Worrill (Team Faerieland) and Tormo Frein (Team Darigan Citadel).
- Losing its human features isn't the only drastic redraw the Bruce has seen over the years. In one previous incarnation, the Ice Bruce was drawn to look like a popular Neopian frozen treat, the Strawberry Brucicle! Today's Ice Bruce looks more like it's made out of ice-cream, but could still put you in the mood for a visit to the Happy Icy Fun Snow Shop...
This article was written by: Dream